MMT Community
November 19, 2017, 12:09:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Support MMT Community
News: NOTE: To see all of our content, and to be able to read the diaries and discussions threads, you must be a member and you must be signed-in or they will not show up.

Sign-up now - it's free and you'll have full access to all of our world-leading resources!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 18   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Apotheosis - Internal Femurs - Dr. Betz - 2010 - Starting My LL Journey  (Read 111710 times)
Apotheosis
International Underwear Model :P
LL Legend
MMT Expert

Credibility 387

« on: October 20, 2010, 03:29:43 AM »

I mother*%&#@ hate clicking.

Don't get me wrong. I love Dr. Betz. I appreciate his surgical skills and how he pushed me to click in the hospital. I'm happy that he worked with me and showed me a number of different ways to click when the standard clicking positions didn't work for me. I'm cognizant of the fact that only an internal nail would allow me to return home to do my lengthening as soon as I did after my surgery.

But I'm at 22mm and every click is still Chinese water torture. I'm clicking 15 clicks per day on each leg and I have to contort my body to such extreme angles to get a click that I'm pretty sure my muscular pain is from bending myself into a pretzel to get clicks rather than actual stretching pain from my muscles pulling apart.

Everyone else in the hospital seemed to get a hang of clicking relatively easily. I was unable to click on my own until my last day in the hospital, and even then I was screaming so loud that I woke up the whole floor. I've been religious about my physical therapy and stretching on my own, but my muscles just have no interest in allowing distraction without a fight.

Has anyone else experienced so much difficulty clicking? I can't be the only person cursed with overly muscular legs. I took a whole year off from doing resistance training on my legs to try to get them to shrink in preparation for my surgery, but they still only lost 5% of their size.

Apotheosis
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 10:16:57 AM by SysOp » Logged

My personal apotheosis to the very best me I can be. Starting height: 171 cm. 9.5+ cm added to femurs. 10.5+ cm added to tibias. Final Height: 189.5 cm +/-

My femur diary: http://www.makemetaller.org/index.php/topic,3530.0.html
My tibia diary: http://www.makemetaller.org/index.php/topic,4202.0.h
swastik
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 2

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 11:50:34 AM »

hi thr
clicking is very difficult during your 1st one month thn gradually it becomz easy i also had a very hard time clickin thr was a time i was on the verge of breakin my legs if would hav bent little more so relax and take tetrazepam before clickin and it will be very easy in future
hope the helps
tak cr
baller
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 09:47:07 PM »

Hi Apotheosis,

I'm very interested in what influenced your decision to go with Betz and click at home? I'm debating between Betz and Dr.  Xia.  The appeal of the internal method is that I will, hopefully, be able to return to work within 3-4 months (while on crutches) whereas with Dr.  Xia I will be out of work for at least 6 months.  Is this a realistic assessment? What is your goal for legthening with Dr.  Betz?

Thanks!
Apotheosis
LL Legend
MMT Expert

Credibility 387

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 09:38:31 PM »

Hey Baller,

I chose lengthening with an internal rod because it allowed me to return home to do my lengthening. This was very important to me because I am a single father with children. I could not be away for four or five months as is necessary with external methods. I had my surgery one month ago, and I am basically living my life as I was before the surgery, except for the fact that I am on crutches (I even convinced someone I just met to go on a date with me - try that with an Ilizarov frame!). I eat well, exercise twice a day, and stretch three times a day. I have physical therapy twice a week, although I generally get the same result from it as I get from stretching on my own.

The number one reason I chose Dr. Betz was because he is an expert at internal lengthening. I also liked that I was able to communicate with a number of his former patients (Growing, TopShelf, Bad Boy) and get comfortable with the idea of lengthening at home, as some of them had done. I also liked Dr. Betz's bedside manner. He spends a lot of time with his patients, and genuinely wants them all to succeed. I also personally preferred the rural setting of the hospital Dr. Betz operates out of rather than one that is in a more urban setting.

I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be able to return to work on crutches 3-4 months after having surgery with Dr. Betz. I think you could very well return to work much sooner than that, depending on a number of factors. I am assuming, of course, that you mean a job where you sit in front of a computer all day, and not one where you lift 100 pound bags of concrete for a living.

I've enjoyed reading the diaries of a number of LL veterans on this site who have done external lengthening with Dr. Xia, Dr. Salameh, and Dr.  Mirzoyan. For the money, they all seem like a great way to lengthen. I think you would need to talk to one of the veterans who has done external lengthening with Dr. Xia to get a better idea of exactly how long you could expect to be out of work if you do lengthening with him.

My goal is a minimum of 8.0 CM, which I should reach two and a half months from now. I may push on for greater length after that, but that will depend on how my body feels when I hit 8.0 CM. When I was in the hospital recovering from my surgery, I met a patient of Dr. Betz who had just completed lengthening 11.5 CM on his femurs. Dr. Betz uses a number of different nails now, and not just the old albizzia nail. As I understand it, the old albizzia nail can lengthen to 10.5 CM, but Dr. Betz has new nails of his own that can lengthen 13.5 CM. I received an old albizzia nail partly because I really wanted a 13mm nail (which most people are not able to get due to their bone size) and partly because I didn't have my sights set on any extreme lengthening.

Apotheosis

My personal apotheosis to the very best me I can be. Starting height: 171 cm. 9.5+ cm added to femurs. 10.5+ cm added to tibias. Final Height: 189.5 cm +/-

baller
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 01:12:18 AM »

Many thanks Apotheosis, that was very helpful.  Do you think it's possible to return to work (office job in front of a computer) even sooner, say 1-2 months? I assume you take regular x-rays and send them to Dr.  Betz so he can keep track of your progress?

Please continue to update us on your progress, I will be follwing it intently.
TallManComing
MMT Member

Credibility -2

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2010, 05:36:35 PM »

Thanks for the great info. Dr. Betz is my first choice.

How soon did you return home? Do you have a doctor near you to check your bones, ie. x-rays.
Apotheosis
LL Legend
MMT Expert

Credibility 387

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2010, 07:13:49 PM »

My surgery was September 15th. I returned home the 14th day after my operation. I am doing my entire lengthening at home. Dr. Betz advised strongly against returning home so soon, but I chose to because it was the right choice for me. I would not suggest that other people go home so soon for a number of reasons. I'm going to document my choices and my progress in this diary.

TallManComing
MMT Member

Credibility -2

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2010, 09:23:49 PM »

I look forward to reading about your progress. That's very brave of you to go back after only 2 weeks.

I've been thinking about doing the long-term route. Stay in Germany for a year or longer, teach english, get the rods removed, then go home and never have to go back...
sd1
MMT Member

Credibility 8

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2010, 10:42:29 PM »

Hello Apotheosis,
While in the lengthening phase, do you think that you are in the right frame of mind to be able to do office work?  Or is the pain or the effects of pain medication too overwhelming that it prevents you from concentrating?
Thanks.
Apotheosis
LL Legend
MMT Expert

Credibility 387

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2010, 02:42:39 AM »

SD1,

I am working while lengthening. I work mostly in an office, but occasionally have done site visits on crutches.

The biggest variables for lengthening at home and working you will not know until after your operation: how well you are clicking and how well you are sleeping. If you can click well enough and get a reasonable amount of sleep every night, then you should be fine. Dealing with uncomfortable legs on an office chair will be another issue, but I move around in my chair a lot and alternate between putting my legs up on an ottoman under my desk and resting them on the floor.

I don't think any of the pain medications themselves affect your frame of mind. What affects your frame of mind is not having enough pain medication, having to deal with pain and having to deal with very little sleep. Your pain medications can be adjusted by Dr. Betz as necessary, but just remember that the pain post surgery will be different from the stretching pain you get when you hit a certain stage of lengthening.

As long as you stay near Dr. Betz for a month (two weeks post surgery and two weeks post hospital) you should be fine to do your lengthening at home (barring any bizarre complications). If I could have stayed in Germany for four weeks I would have, but I couldn't and I was willing to risk it. I would not recommend it to most people.

Apotheosis

sd1
MMT Member

Credibility 8

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2010, 07:04:49 AM »

Thanks Apotheosis.  That is very nice to know.
Good luck with your adventure.  You are so lucky.
Apotheosis
LL Legend
MMT Expert

Credibility 387

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2010, 11:00:23 AM »

Not to be a sour apple, but if I were truly lucky I would have been born tall enough to never need to subject myself to the pain and expense of LL.

In my opinion what we are doing is the exact opposite of relying on luck. Rather than take the cards that fate has dealt us, we are defying our genetics in the ultimate act of personal choice over inheritance.

Luck is relative, but as I sit here writing this at the end of a tumultuous night of struggling with lengthening pain that every drug in my medicine cabinet was unable to conquer, I don't feel especially lucky. I do feel happy that I've chosen this path, and I look forward to having a pang of quiet anger inside every time someone tells me that I'm lucky to be tall. Tongue

Apotheosis

TallManComing
MMT Member

Credibility -2

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2010, 02:44:35 PM »

Not to be a sour apple, but if I were truly lucky I would have been born tall enough to never need to subject myself to the pain and expense of LL.

In my opinion what we are doing is the exact opposite of relying on luck. Rather than take the cards that fate has dealt us, we are defying our genetics in the ultimate act of personal choice over inheritance.

Luck is relative, but as I sit here writing this at the end of a tumultuous night of struggling with lengthening pain that every drug in my medicine cabinet was unable to conquer, I don't feel especially lucky. I do feel happy that I've chosen this path, and I look forward to having a pang of quiet anger inside every time someone tells me that I'm lucky to be tall.

Apotheosis

Amen brother.

If I was lucky, I would have been born to a decent family and received the nutrition to grow to my full height, my cousins are 5'10-5'11.

Now I have to grow taller the hard way. 6 months of pain and suffering and a significant amount of my net worth.
swastik
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 2

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2010, 04:28:11 PM »

My goal is a minimum of 8.0 CM, which I should reach two and a half months from now. I may push on for greater length after that, but that will depend on how my body feels when I hit 8.0 CM. When I was in the hospital recovering from my surgery, I met a patient of Dr. Betz who had just completed lengthening 11.5 CM on his femurs. Dr. Betz uses a number of different nails now, and not just the old albizzia nail. As I understand it, the old albizzia nail can lengthen to 10.5 CM, but Dr. Betz has new nails of his own that can lengthen 13.5 CM. I received an old albizzia nail partly because I really wanted a 13mm nail (which most people are not able to get due to their bone size) and partly because I didn't have my sights set on any extreme lengthening.

The full story is that this German patient who lengthened 11.5cm bent his nail and got titanium nail after lengthening bcoz of too much lengthening.
Apotheosis
LL Legend
MMT Expert

Credibility 387

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2010, 05:56:22 PM »

Swastik,

I wasn't suggesting that anyone follow the path of the German patient and do 11.5 CM on their femurs, I was just pointing out that it is possible to do that much lengthening after one surgery.

Apotheosis

bba
MMT Member

Credibility 4

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2010, 03:25:38 AM »

Hello Apotheosis ,

Good luck on your journey.

I've read what you've said about dr betz using different kind of nails

I had a consultation with him in 2008,and am problably going to do the op next year.

Can you say a little bit more about the nails dr betz is using now? has the technik changed this last year?

best regards and luck

BBA
TallManComing
MMT Member

Credibility -2

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2010, 01:30:19 AM »

The full story this German patient who lengthen 11.5cm bent his nail ant got titanium nail after lengthenin bcoz of too much lengthening

Interesting. Do you need large femurs in order to get the nail that lengthens 13.5 cm?

I couldn't care less about proportions and will have plenty of time to spend in Germany.
Apotheosis
LL Legend
MMT Expert

Credibility 387

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2010, 02:35:28 AM »

TallManComing,

I don't think you need large femurs to get the nail that lengthens 13.5 CM. I'm pretty sure Dr. Betz only makes his personal nails (the ones that go to a length of 13.5 CM) in an 11mm diameter size. 90% of his patients use 11mm nails, so I'm pretty sure that he has his personal nails made for that 90% of his patients. I suspect that most of his 13mm nails are the old albizzia nails that only go to 10.5 CM.

You should probably confirm all of this with him, but I'm pretty sure that's what he said and what I learned from talking to some other patients.

Apotheosis

TallManComing
MMT Member

Credibility -2

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2010, 02:00:50 AM »

Thank you for the great info Apotheosis.

When I'm ready to sell my business, I can spend as much time as I want in Germany, even stay for several years, so being able to lengthen 13.5cm is a dream come true...

That would bring me from 5'5.5 to 5'11.
TopShelf
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2010, 02:30:36 AM »

Hi Apotheosis,
Remember the PM I sent regarding "right angles"?  Has this helped at all?  I too had to contort my leg into wicked positions to click (the left side).  Right side clicked very easily for me. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 18   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Make Me Taller! The world's number one elective leg lengthening site! Come here for information about LL, things to make you taller, how to get taller permanently, Ilizarov, Betzbone, Guichet Nail, PRECICE, height growth and other height related issues. This is the number one leg lengthening forum for height seekers and people trying to become taller. It was created and run by people who have actually done leg lengthening surgery (LL).

As a community site, MMT forum thrives on people's contributions, so please feel free to share your make me taller questions, videos, photos and experiences here in this leg lengthening forum. Make me taller is open to all, but please read the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) before posting as this will answer nearly all of your questions about getting taller through surgery. Please read our leg lengthening diaries too! We hope that you find this forum useful. Cheers, SysOp.