MMT Community
January 16, 2017, 12:43:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Support MMT Community
News: Words of wisdom from sna78:
"Pain is temporary, height is forever!"

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Do All LL Patients Have Body Dysmorohic Disorder?
Yes - 6 (15.4%)
No - 3 (7.7%)
Some do, and some don't - 30 (76.9%)
Total Voters: 38

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do All LL Patients Have Body Dysmorohic Disorder?  (Read 5936 times)
SysOp
Forum Admin / Moderator
Administrator
MMT Expert

Credibility 712

« on: January 18, 2014, 03:11:47 PM »

I was having an interesting discussion the other day with a fellow LL patient about whether all of us that choose to do LL have body dismorphic disorder (specifically height disphoria) to want / need LL in the first place. What do you think?
Sweden
Current recovery level: 82% and improving.
LL Veteran
MMT Expert

Credibility 304

LL Fighter, prophet, expert, adviser, hero, LEGEND

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 05:06:31 PM »

Some do.

If you clearly face setbacks with women and in your field of work and you see other taller persons achieve higher positions faster than you even though they're not as good as you are.
Then it is pretty clear they see you as a child.

A man is supposed to be 6 feet +
That's the way society is. Why are we even here if not?

Regarding women's height it's just becoming strange when they're taller than 6 feet and above.
You have to be really good looking to pull that height off.

There is a clear case of body dysmorphia on the other LL forum. She is 5'6 and want to SHORTEN herself to 5'4 in India.
That is pure insanity right there.

Starting height 173cm, now confirmed 180cm. Had surgery in India January 8 -13. Did ~7cm on tibia. Frame removal: 16 April -13. 180cm wingspan. Shrunk to 179cm as my final height. Considering femurs.
checkmate
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 05:12:15 PM »

I don't think all patients have body dysmorphic disorder, but some do.

I agree with Sweden about the Leg shortening girl. That is absolutely stupid.
upinthesky
LL Veteran
MMT Adviser

Credibility 92

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 06:54:12 PM »

I couldn't justify the leg shortening case either, thought it was absolutely unnecessary and has no objective social benefits (such as a male going from short height to average with LL). But it took many years for me to justify my LL choice to many people as well. So if it's going to make her happy in the end.. she should go for it.

Starting Height: 165 cm
Final Height: 172 cm

Date of Surgery: January 6th, 2014
Started Lengthening: January 11th, 2014
Started Walking Again: March 21st, 2014
From Surgery to Walking: 75 days

Lengthened 7 cm with Dr.Muharrem Inan in Istanbul, Turkey with the Fitbone Internal Method.
LordSyko
MMT Member

Credibility 3

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 07:15:46 PM »

I agree that some do and some don't.  The same goes for women who don't want to be flat chested anymore.

Being short in unappealing for a male and having no boobs is unappealing for a female. 

Those who undergo excessive amounts of cosmetic surgery are the ones who are mentally ill, e. g.  Jocelyn Wildenstein. 

"From the naturalistic point of view, all men are equal.  There are only two exceptions to this rule of naturalistic equality: geniuses and idiots. " Mikhail Bakunin
cancerguy
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 11:57:01 PM »

Thinking about this deeply Id have to say no, its not a body dysmorphic disorder in terms for men anyway. In society men are expect to transform from a boy to a man, and thats very much through their growth and development through puberty. In a way its like the case of a caterpillar transforming into a butterfly. In my experience I've found that humans tend to be very specific on what fits the profile of being a man, and if you are outside of that your value diminishes greatly.

On the other hand, women are not expected to be tall for mere purposes of fitting into society. They interest in height seems more on the level of how men would see them in context of their physical look as opposed to having any impact on how society actually perceives them.

At the end of the day, we are not living in a perfect world. Where ever you go in life there are always those better off that like to bully those that may be lacking certain qualities. Thats where I see LL being of importance, in that we just want to be on the same eye level as our equals, not being the ones being looked down upon and picked on.

Height:          165 cm - 5'5
Wingspan:      175 cm - 5'9
Ethnicity:       Caucasian

Avg.  Male height in country: 175 cm - 5'9
Estimated Height from Parents Calculation: 177cm - 5'10
Morpheus34
MMT Member

Credibility 5

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2014, 12:18:46 PM »

I think the diagnosis isn't often a yes or no question.  Like a lot of psychiatric diagnosis, it isn't an exactly diagnose (to measure).  It isn't clear, where the (psychic) disease begins. 
Actually, there is no objective marker/indicator to prove the diagnosis. 

It is also possible to have a certain disadvantage of height, but the subjective effect is (personally) overrated.  The smaller the male, there is much more of an objektive disadvantage.

Greetings Morpheus
Ssteiner
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2016, 03:22:47 PM »

I personally think not

People who think they are being judged on imaginary faults with their body's have bdd, however height can be seen and is 100% a factor in how people treat you so it is not something that is imagined unlike most bdd.

Bottom line is if you live in the west andbyou are below 5-11/6' you are below average and the way people treat you gets worse the further you are away from this average
swalsh
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2016, 11:43:34 PM »

I don't think that is the case with everyone.   I just think that may be the case with some people, while others just see LL as an opportunity to improve something that they would like to improve. 
bugsy
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2016, 03:57:48 AM »

I was diagnosed with BDD a couple years ago.  It was a very hard struggle and it took a very dark turn.  You wake up everyday hating to look at yourself.  You don't want to go outside of your house because of how you see yourself.  You obsess over the smallest parts of your own body.  It feels like your imprisoned inside yourself.  I am getting help now and even though every day is still a struggle I feel as if I am improving. 
madefor70
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2016, 06:12:36 PM »

I'll settle on some do and some don't.

On that topic, from wikipedia. org "Body dysmorphic disorder (BDD) is a mental disorder characterized by an obsessive preoccupation that some aspect of one's own appearance is severely flawed and warrants exceptional measures to hide or fix it. [1] In BDD's delusional variant, the flaw is imagined. [2] If the flaw is actual, its importance is severely exaggerated. [2] Either way, one's thoughts about it are pervasive and intrusive, occupying up to several hours a day.  The DSM-5 categorizes BDD in the obsessive–compulsive spectrum, and distinguishes it from anorexia nervosa. "

The key here would be what is considered obsessive preoccupation, what are considered exceptional measures and severely exaggerated importance?

It could depend on what the general society, psychiatry or the authorized party/ies thinks what those limits are.  Of course deciding who those parties are takes it to a deeper level and going on can lead down a bottomless rabbit hole.  Hence, I am stopping at who decides what BDD is tells whether how much of the MMT forum members have BDD.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Make Me Taller! The world's number one elective leg lengthening site! Come here for information about LL, things to make you taller, how to get taller permanently, Ilizarov, Betzbone, Guichet Nail, PRECICE, height growth and other height related issues. This is the number one leg lengthening forum for height seekers and people trying to become taller. It was created and run by people who have actually done leg lengthening surgery (LL).

As a community site, MMT forum thrives on people's contributions, so please feel free to share your make me taller questions, videos, photos and experiences here in this leg lengthening forum. Make me taller is open to all, but please read the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) before posting as this will answer nearly all of your questions about getting taller through surgery. Please read our leg lengthening diaries too! We hope that you find this forum useful. Cheers, SysOp.