MMT Community
February 22, 2019, 11:03:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IMPORTANT: If you're new to Leg Lengthening, then Click Here! to start with our FAQs section, which contains the answers to all of the most common questions! You must read these important FAQs before posting new questions!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Patient Delta - Internal Femurs - Dr. Guichet - 2006 - Lengthening in France  (Read 14427 times)
Patient Delta
Investigator
MMT Member

Credibility 18

« on: January 06, 2007, 12:41:37 AM »

I will refer to myself as Patient Delta given that during the month I was operated I was the fourth patient to receive this kind of surgery.

BASIC FACTS
Kind of operation: cosmetic (i.e. voluntary) lengthening of the two femurs through the intramedullary ?Albizzia nail? (or ?Guichet nail). Age: about 25; starting height: 164cm; minimum expect gain to claim success: 7cm; gain effectively obtained: 8.5 cm; time for the physical preparation before the intervention: 6 months, the last two with a personal trainer; time to achieve the lengthening: 3.5 months (100 days spent in Marseille). Expectations regarding my rehabilitation after the end of the lengthening (at the time of writing I am few days before the end of the lengthening period):  4 weeks to walk without crutches, 6 to 7 weeks to walk completely normally, 5 to 6 months to start to practice some sport activity.

CHRONICLE OF MY 100 DAYS IN MARSEILLE
I arrived in Marseille three days before the intervention in order to deal with some practical things (like buying a bicycle to do rehabilitation in my room in the hotel) and to have a last talk with Doc. G. (in the previous months I contacted him several times to provide him with my x-rays, blood tests, cybex test and all the other things he requires).  The surgical operation lasted about 5 hours (I received both general anesthesia and epidural) and no complications happened. The day after I was already able to walk a little bit using a walker (which I kept using for the first 30 days before moving to the crutches). During the following 4 days in the clinic I learned how to ?click? (the rotation of the leg that allows the lengthening of the nail, 15 clicks correspond to 1 millimeter)  and I started to use the bicycle for 40 minutes per day. The clinic is functional and the people working there are nice, however those are tough days because it is crucial to start immediately   the stretching exercises indicated by Doc. G. (you are required to start few hours after you wake up from the anesthesia !). During the first one month and half I devoted a minimum of 6 hours per day to these exercises, however during the remaining 1 and ? month in Marseille I reduced the time for these exercise to just 1 hour while increasing at the same time the time on the bicycle to 2 hours. Moreover during the last month I also started to follow 3 times per week a rehabilitation program with a therapist in a swimming pool. During the first two months the pain has always been within tolerable levels and, during the third one, it almost disappeared, thus enabling me to perform many normal activities that I was not able to do for the first two months. I never had any major complication and the x-rays that I had to take every 14 days always showed a normal lengthening of the nail and a good ossification.

SOME PERSONAL THOUGHTS
The choice of doing leg lengthening with Doc. Guichet came after a long and accurate analysis of both this kind of surgery procedure and of the doctors that practice it. I am fully satisfied of this choice and of the results that I got. During the time I spent in Marseille, I met many patients of Doc. G. coming from all over the world and I formed my personal opinion about this intervention: Although it is an operation characterized by many big and unavoidable risks, still it can give great results if the patient prepared himself with a very serious physical training before the operation and if he is willing to comply strictly with the indications of Doc. G. even when they require an enormous effort (as they often do). In particular two things are strictly necessary for a successful lengthening: (1) an outstanding surgeon and (2) complete devotion to the physical exercises one has to do both before and after the surgery. For what regards the first aspect I believe Guichet is an extremely skillful surgeon and one of the very few who can make this operation work; while in Marseille I met several patients who were asking Guichet to fix the damages created to them by less competent surgeons. On the contrary I never heard bad comments about the skills of Doc G.. For what regards the second issue, the physical preparation, I just want to stress that this is crucial both before the intervention and after it, especially during the very tough two weeks right after the intervention. In addition to this, I believe that the other factors that have been relevant during this lengthening period have been: the therapy with medicines prescribed by Guichet, a very rich and healthy diet, the determination to resist any transitory problem that I came across (for instance an irritation of a nerve and some difficulties in clicking the right leg), quitting smoking (I was an heavy smoker before), staying in Marseille for a long time under the constant direct control of Doc. G., the minimization of any unnecessary risk and, last but not least, the positive thinking I managed to maintain despite the consciousness of the many difficulties of the way I voluntarily decided to take.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2007, 05:58:06 PM by mysteryman » Logged
MMTA
Former Site Admin
Administrator
MMT Expert

Credibility 1036

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2007, 12:47:37 AM »

Dear PD,

Many thanks for joining our community and sharing your experiences with us - I know that this post will be very valuable for the people who are considering treatment with Dr. Guichet.

I wonder if you could tell us about the costs of your treatment, and also share some photographs of your experiences?

Thanks!

Patient Delta
Investigator
MMT Member

Credibility 18

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2007, 02:49:09 AM »

overall it costs about Euro 40.000,00 (operation + 100 days in Marseille). there is some variability in prices but I think it's unlikely to spend less than 40k or more than 50k.
(Personal consideration: if you try to save some money by going to less expensive surgeons you will probably end up paying more (several operations) and putting at risk your legs)

why pictures??? For the scars maybe...well they are minimal. Or maybe for the aesthetics of the LL outcome...well here is to my personal judgment, anyway in general up to 9cm the legs look nice. The thickest is the the leg before LL, the nicer it will look afterwards. Too skinny legs become just bones (well nails...) and skin...not very natural. However even in that case I suppose that a lot of body building will help in the long run.
kaper7
MMT Member

Credibility 7

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2007, 02:59:32 AM »

Hi PD,
Thanks for sharing your experience in Marsaille.

I am guessing since you gained 8.5 cm in 100 days, you lengthen about 0.85 mm per day?

When I was in Marsaille for my consultation with Dr. Guichet last year, I stayed in a Hotel/Residence called Citea. At that time, Dr Guichet had 2 patients staying at Citea which was nice since I got to talk and visit with them. Are you staying in Citea as well while you are in Marsaille?

I was actually thinking of doing LL in Marsaille but now I am thinking Beijing, China.

Good luck with your recovery and keep us updated!

Kaper7

leelee
MMT Member

Credibility 11

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2007, 04:41:27 AM »

Hi P. Delta,

Thank you for being the first internal LL'er to post a diary on this forum!  I'm seriously considering Guichet, so I hope you don't mind shedding some light on the following questions:

1)  You mentioned the operation cost 40,000 Euro. Can you estimate costs for the 100+ days in Marseille?  I know that X-rays are not included in the 40,000.

2)  Can you speak French?  If not, what difficulties did you encounter because of the language barrier? (I know Guichet speaks English, but what about the rest of hospital staff?)  Did this cause you stress?

3)  Did you consider Albizzia with Dr. Betz?  If so, how did you decide on Guichet?  I'm trying to make a decision between Betz and Guichet.  Both claim to do about the same number of Albizzia operations per year.

4)  Why X-rays every 2 weeks?  Unless there are problems...Paley, Betz, Xia...none of them do X-rays more frequently than every 4 weeks.  Exposure to lots radiation isn't good for the body.

Thanks! Smiley
« Last Edit: January 06, 2007, 04:54:32 AM by leelee » Logged
lf
MMT Member

Credibility 6

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2007, 08:10:30 AM »

Congratulations for your new height and thanks for sharing your experience and knowledge.

Could you tell how long will you stay at Marseille once the lengthening process is completed.

8.5 cm in 100 days sounds great, is it your case a remarkable fast process or we can consider it as ?normal? for internal devices?

Please don?t stop posting. You are the only one writting about internal methods so everything you can tell about your experience, even ?non important? facts will be most welcome for people considering internal methods.

Congratulations again !  Smiley
11CM
LL Patient
MMT Member

Credibility 11

Well Hello There !

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2007, 11:00:31 AM »

Hi there to ALL,
This is the first time I have EVER used a FORUM before so I'm a TOTAL NEWBIE.
I have myself and glad to hear that there are SO MANY people wanting LL's, I myself am of a SHORT STATURE and have always ENVY my friends as I had been the and still am the shortest of all my friends.

I would like to ask a simple question really to MMT admin what age would you consider NOT going thru with this ?   

Do we not start to shrink when when we get older ?
I feel I would be urinating against the wind (so to speak ?)

I myself have just turned 37 last Nov 06 and STILL think of being (min) 3 - 3.5 inches or 7.5 - 9 cm taller since the age of 16. I was hoping I would have got them last 3 inches from an over night growing SPURT but hey ho....it never happened.

cbick66
LL Hero
MMT Adviser

Credibility 514

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2007, 11:12:37 AM »

Patient Delta:

"if you try to save some money by going to less expensive surgeons you will probably end up paying more (several operations) and putting at risk your legs)"

So are you saying that the more you pay, the better results you will have? Because right now we have 4 diaries with 3 of the cheapest places for LL and from what I read, the results are all good. Wouldn't you day the the difference in price rellies on the Doctor and not his qualifications? Meaning that the price is higher because the Doctor chooses to have higher prices and more money in his pockets.

That's my opinion

TIME IS YOUR FRIEND
Cheers to all the vets and future LL Troopers
daany1
MMT Member

Credibility 2

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2007, 03:18:21 PM »

Thank you for sharing your experience with us, Patient Delta
theres some questions i will like to ask you.
why did you go with 8.5 cm. does it look disproportionate to your lower legs
why did you do femurs instead of tibias
did you or have problems straightening your legs
how many cm did doctor Guichet recomended from start
can you post some fotos to see outcome we are all anxious
thank you
Patient Delta
Investigator
MMT Member

Credibility 18

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2007, 05:22:19 PM »

Thanks for your comments/questions. Let me give you a collective answer:
1) COST: all in all staying in Marseille for 100 days will cost you about Euro 5.000,00.
2) LANGUAGE: in France 99% of the people just speak French. Learning the basics is easy and extremely useful, you do not want to be with your legs broken and unable to communicate with people around you.
3) BETZ Vs GUICHET: not a very easy choice. Both are good surgeons and Betz's clinic is more organized and can make your less troubled (for instance everybody speaks English there). However I chose Guichet for two reasons: (a) he has a better record of successful LL and (b) he is the inventor of the nail and he is continously ameliorating the technique.
4) RDIOS: well yes, you will have to take a lot of radios. However the radiologist there explained me that Guichet requires the less "heavy" (in terms of amount of rays) radios that is possible to take. Nevertheless radios are crucial to see that the LL is proceding normally, so every two weeks is not an unreasonable timing.
5) LEAVING MARSEILLE: on the same day you stop clicking, in some cases G. will let you go away a little bit earlier.
6) "NORMAL" RESULT: getting 8.5cm is a good result, better than the average result. My feeling is that up to 5cm "everybody" can go, above that depends on many subjective factors (read my initial post to review what these factors were for me). I saw patients that for cosmetic LL did more than 9cm but you shall go to Marseille and do the first consultation with G. (it will cost you Euro 300 + x-rays) to assess what is reasonable for you.
7) AGE: that is not a concern at all.
Cool MORE MONEY NOT NECESSAIRLY MEANS A BETTER RESULT : cbick66 I understand your point and I partially agree with it. However over the years I saw so many cases of bad (read tragic) results with other doctors that I just wanted to minimize the risks. My personal opinion is that chosing Guichet allowed this minimization so I would have paied him any amount, irregardeless of what other surgeons charge.
9) PROPORTIONS: I am very pleased with my new proportions, they look perfectly fine. Anyway, as I said in my second post, that's something subjective. I like my 8.5cm longer femurs but on a very skinny and very short girl that might not look too good.
10) TIBIAS vs FEMOURS: no question, go for femours ! That's doc G. golden standard, it works fine, it's aesthetically nice and, from what I know indirectly, it's also less painful and less risky (i.e. femour ossifies better than tibia with internal lenghtening devices).
11) FLEXIBILITY: this depends on your ability to comply with the required phisical exercises and on how your body responds to them. Guichet is very concern about this and will regulate the speed of growth (i.e. the number of clicks per day) depending on your flexibility. For what regards me I am doing fine but lenghtening is hard for the body and you have to expect from the day of the operation to spend 10 months doing a lot, A LOT, of phisical exercises to regain normality... and being constantly motivated for 10 months is not as easy as you might think.
For the pictures you might want to check out those that are on G's website: http://www.allongement-os-grandir.com/ otherwise you might just call him + 33 (0) 491.17.30.33 (the phone number is from his web site, it is not a big secret) and schedule an appintment during a period in which he has somebody doing LL. I really believe that looking with your eyes other patients is the best way to understand LL.

Lucky_Man
n00b

Credibility 0

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2007, 05:41:03 PM »

Wouldn't you day the the difference in price rellies on the Doctor and not his qualifications? Meaning that the price is higher because the Doctor chooses to have higher prices and more money in his pockets.

That's my opinion

My opinion is that the price is higher because all the things in the France are much more expensive than in China, for example. The money is not only for a doctor but also for maids, the x-ray stuff, anesthesiologysts, they all earn good money comparing to Serbia or China because the common-things prices are higher as well as wages.
Btw - someone (as far as I remember it was CB) wrote that some doctors in Serbia can't even afford their own ap. so they still live with their parents.

In France the food is more expensive, the heating, the electric power, the equipment.. To sum up, all the things I mentioned cause the high LL prices in Europe, it's not only about the doc & his pockets.
sna78
LL Veteran
MMT Adviser

Credibility 240

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2007, 06:17:23 PM »

3) BETZ Vs GUICHET: not a very easy choice. Both are good surgeons and Betz's clinic is more organized and can make your less troubled (for instance everybody speaks English there). However I chose Guichet for two reasons: (a) he has a better record of successful LL and (b) he is the inventor of the nail and he is continously ameliorating the technique.

Hello im a patient of Prof Betz and I am courius to know how you found out which of the doctors had the better record ?
I also tried to find this out before my surgery but i found it very difficult to find a impartial source of information about this issue  how did you manage that?

Could you elaborate on this issue and the statistics ?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2007, 06:27:17 PM by sna78 » Logged
daany1
MMT Member

Credibility 2

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2007, 07:03:35 PM »

Patient Delta  i dont understand why when mmt and i aked you for some photos you referred us to doctors website, seems to me that all you want to do is promote Dr. Guichet business
Are you a real patient?
or someone writing for the doctor
we havent heard yet where you come from or nothing in detail like MMt experience
hopefully you are for real
Lucky_Man
n00b

Credibility 0

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2007, 08:13:56 PM »

Patient Delta  i dont understand why when mmt and i aked you for some photos you referred us to doctors website, seems to me that all you want to do is promote Dr. Guichet business
Are you a real patient?
or someone writing for the doctor
we havent heard yet where you come from or nothing in detail like MMt experience
hopefully you are for real
Yeah, that's exactly what I think.. Btw - is there something that you DIDN'T like about Marseille? Because your personal thoughts are only about what you actually like, no dislikes. Don't tell us Guichet has no disadv as there's always something to dislike  Wink I would like to see photos as well because that's something what makes you real.
gepeto20
MMT Member

Credibility 2

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2007, 08:36:02 PM »

Delta:

Thanks This is a good and interesting information. However, as everyone asked you will be very usefull if you post some pictures. Why?...because trhu a picture everyone can see the proportions and results. MMT admin, Mysteryman and other posted several picture that has been very didactic. As you well know for all of us is key to have the maximum information in order to choose and carry out this process.

Thanks in advance
cbick66
LL Hero
MMT Adviser

Credibility 514

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2007, 09:38:46 PM »

Lucky Man:

You have to admit there's a big price difference and it's not because of the med. I'm quoting here what Patient Delta said:

"COST: all in all staying in Marseille for 100 days will cost you about Euro 5.000,00"

This is what it will cost you staying in Serbia for 5 months. So the price is not that much of a difference.  Now lets talk about the operation. You go from $20000US in china to $40000euro in France. That's about a $40000US difference when you convert the money. Those are expensive maids and meds if you ask me. But hey, I'm not saying not to go there. I was just arguing Patient Deltas quote in the first place. It's almost like this operation goes from one extrem to the other with some doctors. The one extrem is where they perform operations for free as some patients have no money and the other extrem is where only the rich have a chance to experience Limb Lengthening. There's no middle ground. So this is where I come in and post my experience with the cheaper Doctors.

I'm not trying to say Dr. Guichet is only after money. Like I said, I was just arguing one of his quotes. And to tell you the truth, I found this post very much like the ones from egypt who advertise instead of postinf about there experiences.

TIME IS YOUR FRIEND
Cheers to all the vets and future LL Troopers
Patient Delta
Investigator
MMT Member

Credibility 18

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2007, 04:07:52 AM »

guys it seems I gave you a finger and you want to take my arm...do not harass me.

clearly I am a successful case of Guichet and I have wrote my chronicle ONLY BECAUSE HE ASKED ME TO DO SO as a favour. in fact you can find my diary in his forum too, however I also posted it here because I like very much this lively forum. maybe too lively now, you get easily excited it seems.

however in this one-page diary I tell you frankly the essentials of my story, you can find it useful or not, like it or dislike it but still it remains my true story. if you speak with G he will tell you that I am real. hopefully he will not tell you more because I like my privacy and this is why I'll never send pics, not even of legs. moreover and for the third time I like my new legs but this is a subjective issue, form your opinion with the pics on his website and do not annoy me more on this.

for what regards money, keep the objective part of what I told: all in all you will spend between 40k and 50k with G. my opinions about whether it's a fair price or not are useless to you, that's what it costs full stop.

about the fact that I say only good things about my LL, well try to be understanding I got 8.5cm in 100 days without major complications I am not happy, I am super happy. however not having major complications does not mean that i did not have minor transitory ones: in the short diary I refer of a nerve irritation to the left leg, this thing made me cry and scream for two weeks. moreover I stopped at 8.5 and not continued because the difficulties in clicking the right leg were starting to become serious enough. nevertheless all this things passed and if I had the choice of going throug them another time to get this 8.5 I would not hesitate a second to do it.

finally betz vs guichet. I have an EXTREMELY POSITIVE impression of betz, but I just have a better one of guichet. I formed my opinion by reading their scientific publications, talking by person with them and talking to their patients. however that's just my opinion and maybe if you perform the same activities you'll end up thinking betz is the best. that's possible but if I chose G is because I found the empirical evidence provided by G in his scientific publications stronger. one more convincing thing about G for me was that he was the inventor of the albizzia nail, moreover while in Marseille I discovered that he is constantly working to improve the technique. I believe that who will do this operation in 5 years from now will get a better result than the one I had.

well now I have to go to do my exercises and then electric stimulation (buy a Compex it's great...some more free advertising I guess) recovery is SLOW, SLOW, SLOW and tiring. sorry if you find something disturbing or confusing in my posts, but still I hope that if you read very carefully my short diary you might get something useful out of it, at least I wish you so. I might be back on this forum in the future but for the moment good night  and good luck with the LL you are doing, you will do or you will never do. all these three very different things require some sort of courage.
lf
MMT Member

Credibility 6

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2007, 05:48:52 AM »

Lets give Patient Delta a brake. He, as every one here, is just posting to help others to take their FREE decisions.

Attaking people will just prevent others from talking about their experiences.

I have found the information Patient Delta posted most relevant and for me is as usefull and credible as MMT or Mistery Man, (prices, time of lengthening, acommodation cost)

Patient Delta, I hope you continue posting
sna78
LL Veteran
MMT Adviser

Credibility 240

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2007, 07:53:34 AM »

Thank you delta. I certainly did not question if you where a patient or not. Dr Guichet with his track record does not need to come to forum board and post fales diaries, simple as that.

I just wanted to know if there was accurate sientific out there about the successrates of the 2 surgeons.

The reason some of the users questioned if you where a real patient is that
there have been users posting expiriences on behalf of some unknown doctor who
got a scalpel for xmas.

Enjoy your exersise, it is sunday today so my 198cm tall PT will not come and torture me today :-)

leelee
MMT Member

Credibility 11

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2007, 08:01:25 AM »

Hi P. Delta,

I?m ecstatic that you are willing to share your experiences, even though you?re basically done and can go on your merry way without ever having to look back.  You?ve been so attentive at answering each question that has been asked of you. 

I believe that most of us researching LL are hopeful, yet apprehensive of this potentially risky procedure.  As for me, whenever I hear anything really positive, I get really excited, but I also play devil?s advocate in my mind.  I believe that all of us researching LL are trying our best to be diligent and get as accurate, non-biased information as possible.  And to all the readers out there, keep in mind that this is a ?DIARY?.  As such, authors will state what is on their minds and how they feel and don?t have to explain or defend themselves.  Yet, I hope that authors will keep in mind that readers are highly curious of your thought processes so that we can form our own opinion.

Most of us have or will develop our own opinion on the best methods, best doctors, best facilities, etc.  I hope we can all put forward our best foot forward and try to be as respectful as possible and cordially agree to disagree? yet not be afraid to say what is really on our minds.  Is this easy?  I think it?s an art.  I personally struggle with this everyday in the workplace.  But I try my best?it?s a learning process.

Anyway P. Delta, please continue posting.  I am eager to hear more details of your diary.

Thanks Smiley
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Make Me Taller! The world's number one elective leg lengthening site! Come here for information about LL, things to make you taller, how to get taller permanently, Ilizarov, Betzbone, Guichet Nail, PRECICE, height growth and other height related issues. This is the number one leg lengthening forum for height seekers and people trying to become taller. It was created and run by people who have actually done leg lengthening surgery (LL).

As a community site, MMT forum thrives on people's contributions, so please feel free to share your make me taller questions, videos, photos and experiences here in this leg lengthening forum. Make me taller is open to all, but please read the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) before posting as this will answer nearly all of your questions about getting taller through surgery. Please read our leg lengthening diaries too! We hope that you find this forum useful. Cheers, SysOp.