MMT Community
February 23, 2019, 10:48:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Make Me Taller is the world's leading discussion forum for Leg Lengthening - this is a professionally-run site and is properly maintained and developed for our community by people who have actually had Leg Lengthening. Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Patient Delta - Internal Femurs - Dr. Guichet - 2006 - Lengthening in France  (Read 14433 times)
Nick
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2007, 02:54:04 PM »

Hi PD,

You mentioned how important the physical preparation 6 months before the surgery is. Does this involve bulking up the leg muscle, or increasing flexibility, or both?

Can you please give a run down of what you did for training in the 6 months prior to surgery please?

Many thanks,
Nick
Patient Delta
Investigator
MMT Member

Credibility 18

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2007, 10:00:51 PM »

well, I am back to add something I was asked in PMs.

about phisical training before the op: both stretching and gaining muscular mass are equally important (the two things do not absolutely conflict as any competent phisical trainer will explain you).

about flexum: I did not have it.

about penguin walking after abandoning the crutches: well I am starting to abon the crutches right now so I am pretty much a penguin walker. when I will get back to a normal walking I'll let you know...I hope is no more than one month.

bye
PD
arihan2003
n00b

Credibility 0

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2007, 11:31:32 PM »

does guichet also lenghten tibias? i understand he personally suggests femurs to be better and is his expertise
but if a patient insists will he lengthen the tibias? 

i personally have pronounced bow leg like look in my tibias so i would rather have correction in my tibias than femurs.  i like guichet's internal method but when i spoke to him via email he told me that he does not recommend tibial lengthening because the possibility of non union is greater and there is increased chance of bone graft requirements.  you have personally spoken to him and seen his patients: does he ever perform lower leg lengthening with the Albizzia method?

also from prior study I know that Guichet's program involves lots of exercise during the lengthening itself?  like he recommends swimming and using the stepper machines: does this exercise increase pain and/or slightly offset the lengthening by placing weight on the legs?  sorry for all the questions but i really am curious!

thanks!
Patient Delta
Investigator
MMT Member

Credibility 18

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2007, 07:13:08 PM »

TIBIA LENGHTING WITH G.
interesting topic. not that I know too much about it but I will tell you the few things that I know.
First of all G. does this kind of lenghting. He has Albizzia nails for tibia and he uses them when there is a medical condition that requires them (like an asymmetry of tibias). sometimes he uses them also for cosmetic reasons although he does not like to do so precisely for the reasons you said in your post.

I have personally met 2 patients operated with tibia nails during my stay in Marseille: one was the first ever person on which he did that several years ago and she was there for a control. the other was a guy who was improperly operated by Musy and to whom G had to correct a deviation. they were both doing fine. the girl had the nails removed long ago, the guy still had them inside. none of them told me anything about major complication. so it CAN work

despite this he thinks, as you said, femur is more likely to work without complications for cosmetic LL. my feeling is that things might have changed in the last few months: he is starting to inject at the time of the operation a substance that helps ossification (right now I am still on pills of that medicament). when I left Marseille he was very satisfied of this development of the technique and, if things did not change, this means the rate of success with tibia LL can become comparable to that of femur. hence I personally think that, unless he says a strict NO you should have margins to go for tibia LL with him.

finally exerercises: here your info have to be corrected a bit. (1) you can go to the swimming pool about 1 month after the operation. however I would not call what you do "swimming" it's more physioterapy in the water. (2) no way you can use a stepper during lenghtning. you can start to use it about 1.5 or 2 months after the end of clicking. (3) you cannot loose your gain unless the nail is removed before the bone is completely hard. the nail itself is strong enough that your weight will not compress it (maybe if you start to jump or lift weight you can go close to that but more likely you will bend or break it unless the force you apply is perfectly in line with the nail). (4) pain and exercises: this is ambiguous. so for instance I found a lot of relief from some of the stretching exercises and the only way I could sleep was to do 30min of them before I could go to bed. however some other were really quite painful. also the workout in the swimming pool was really a mix of pleasure and pain. no matter what the more exercises you will be able to do, the better the outcome will be outcome. 

I hope this info is useful for you, this is really all that I know about tibia LL with him. however I would be willing to learn more because I am very curious too. so, if you do not mind, please keep me updated if you learn more about this topic.

bye
PD
gepeto20
MMT Member

Credibility 2

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2007, 09:46:32 PM »

Hi Pd:

Very interesting post. I have one additional question: I understood when I talk with guiche and betz that the swiming activity with internal was possible and the purpose were to swim about 1 Km in a daily basis. So as your post says this is not possible, right??

Please tell me about this.

Thanks and regards
Patient Delta
Investigator
MMT Member

Credibility 18

« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2007, 12:08:17 AM »

hi gepeto,

good point. so things are like this: doctors talk about actual swimming but I find hard to believe that before the end of clicking what you do is truly swimming. In my personal experience I could not do it for two kinds of reasons:

(1) Physiscal condition:
legs have to be kept staight otherwise you can click unvoluntairly. needs strenght to hold alwais straight for a while and my body was always very fatigued during the lenghtening. basically dolphine or crawl required more energies that I had left in me (but the same is true for the other 3 guys who were with me doing LL).

(2) Technical  issue:
on the one hand pools for rehabilitation are very easy to enter because they stand 1 meter higher than the floor but are genrally short (10x10 meters) and you would spend most of the time turning if you try to swim. however on the other hand pools of a normal size (no less than 20m long) have the surface of the water more or less at the same height of the surrounding floor. hence, unless they have special tools for handicapped people, they will give you an hard time to get in and out.

overall it's true that it is not impossible to swim (dolphine, crawl, back) but from my personal experience I believe it's very unlikely that somebody who is still clicking will have enough phisical strenght to do so and will find a suitable place to do actual swimming.

I hope this clarifies the issue

Best
PD
MMTA
Former Site Admin
Administrator
MMT Expert

Credibility 1036

« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2007, 12:22:05 AM »

Very useful stuff, PD - thanks! Smiley

spiderman
MMT Member

Credibility -1

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2007, 09:43:13 PM »

hi patient delta, just wondering how you are doing and whether or not you are walking without cruches yet.  i hope the rehab is going well.  are you still in france under the supervision of guichet or have/can you return to the united states once you finished your clicking? 

if you are still under guichet supervision are you living at the hospital or at a hotel or something?

assuming you need to stay passed the 100 days you originally pay for with guichet, what options do you have? that is can you stay at the hospital and pay extra, fly home and finish rehab their, or do you have to go to a motel or something?
thanks for the posts and good luck with your progress
Patient Delta
Investigator
MMT Member

Credibility 18

« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2007, 06:11:03 PM »

hi spider,
what you pay includes at most 7 days in the hospital. G generally operates on Fridays and, if there are no complications, you'll be required to leave the hospital at most the following Tuesday (5 days). then you'll go to the place you prefer, generally people rent rooms in hotels close to the rehab center where you have to go every Thursday for the control with G.

I am doing fine and I walk without crutches. however there is still a very long way to go before full normality.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Make Me Taller! The world's number one elective leg lengthening site! Come here for information about LL, things to make you taller, how to get taller permanently, Ilizarov, Betzbone, Guichet Nail, PRECICE, height growth and other height related issues. This is the number one leg lengthening forum for height seekers and people trying to become taller. It was created and run by people who have actually done leg lengthening surgery (LL).

As a community site, MMT forum thrives on people's contributions, so please feel free to share your make me taller questions, videos, photos and experiences here in this leg lengthening forum. Make me taller is open to all, but please read the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) before posting as this will answer nearly all of your questions about getting taller through surgery. Please read our leg lengthening diaries too! We hope that you find this forum useful. Cheers, SysOp.