MMT Community
January 21, 2019, 01:58:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Words of wisdom from SysOp:
"Height is like money. It is insignificant only to those who have plenty of it." Tongue

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NoMoreLifts - External Tibias - Dr. Xia - 2009 - NoMoreLifts Beijing diary  (Read 44956 times)
nomorelifts
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 152

« Reply #140 on: May 28, 2009, 03:09:28 PM »

Thanks guys. I wouldn't be where I am if it weren't for this site Smiley
WTBT2007
MMT Member

Credibility 5

« Reply #141 on: June 04, 2009, 03:45:08 AM »

hello, random Q. sorry if this is the wrong place or if it's already answered but wanted to speak with someone who is currently undergoing LL in Beijing.

NoMoreLift - or anyone really:

how'd you transport $25,000 or $30,000 in cash to pay for the LL surgery? I read on the Beijing LL website that they only accept cash! And how do you withdraw all that money without freaking out your bank or having to file stuff to the IRS or whatever you had to do?

Thanks!
jack0life
Handsome Mod
LL Hero
MMT Expert

Credibility 315

« Reply #142 on: June 04, 2009, 03:57:10 AM »

You can pay via wire transfer, traveler checks or cash.
You can pay the whole thing before the surgery, half and half or in payments.
They are very flexible so you just have to arrange before hand.
I wired $15K before I got there and paid the rest in traveler checks.
I've seen people pay in various ways.
You can even pay before hand and if you decide not to have surgery, they will give the money back to you.
They want your money in the worst way but they are not thieves.

Every cm was TORTURE.
Went from 158cm to 166cm in Beijing !!
WTBT2007
MMT Member

Credibility 5

« Reply #143 on: June 04, 2009, 02:54:19 PM »

thanks jack! if anyone has input our knows a better spot to be asking this Q, lemme know.
nomorelifts
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 152

« Reply #144 on: June 08, 2009, 05:48:22 PM »

DAY 153
Monday, Jun 8, 2009

As Nurse Liu was shaving my legs it suddenly hit me -- finally the day has come. I will be removing the frames tomorrow.

I tend to get a little introspective on the eve of big days and today was no exception. As I shaved, showered, and trimmed my nails, I can't help but feel that this is all so surreal. I can still remember dreaming of this moment in January and I can't believe that it's now here. How the months have passed. As much as I have gotten used to the frames, I must admit that the prospect of having them off feels like sweet freedom. Can't wait to feel how strong my legs are without all that extra gear.

I specifically asked for Dr Peng to do the surgery tomorrow. Hope it turns out well. Wish me luck Smiley
MMTA
Former Site Admin
Administrator
MMT Expert

Credibility 1036

« Reply #145 on: June 08, 2009, 06:13:38 PM »

Good luck, dude!

jack0life
Handsome Mod
LL Hero
MMT Expert

Credibility 315

« Reply #146 on: June 09, 2009, 04:21:31 AM »

Awesome.
The torture device be gone.........

Every cm was TORTURE.
Chri123
LL Patient
MMT Member

Credibility 16

« Reply #147 on: June 09, 2009, 09:14:04 AM »

DAY 153
Monday, Jun 8, 2009

As Nurse Liu was shaving my legs it suddenly hit me -- finally the day has come. I will be removing the frames tomorrow.

I tend to get a little introspective on the eve of big days and today was no exception. As I shaved, showered, and trimmed my nails, I can't help but feel that this is all so surreal. I can still remember dreaming of this moment in January and I can't believe that it's now here. How the months have passed. As much as I have gotten used to the frames, I must admit that the prospect of having them off feels like sweet freedom. Can't wait to feel how strong my legs are without all that extra gear.

I specifically asked for Dr Peng to do the surgery tomorrow. Hope it turns out well. Wish me luck Smiley

Hey NML and congratulations, but who else does surgery other than Peng and Xia?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 09:19:22 AM by Chri123 » Logged
174cm
LL Hero
MMT Adviser

Credibility 114

Read the FAQs before you POST or it is SPAM!

« Reply #148 on: June 09, 2009, 04:38:49 PM »

hey mate congrats. removing the frame should be a piece of cake.
You will feel much much better without the frame !!
enjoy your new height forever !

Growing
LL Veteran
MMT Adviser

Credibility 175

« Reply #149 on: June 09, 2009, 09:34:37 PM »

Hey NML,

Never posted in your journal before, but I've been lurking.

Congratulations on your achievement.  You are a strong dude with a great attitude.  Oh, and you are tall Smiley

Be well.

-Growing

+ 7.7 cm.
nomorelifts
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 152

« Reply #150 on: June 21, 2009, 02:08:29 PM »

DAY 166
Sunday, Jun 21, 2009

It has almost been two weeks since my frames were removed and I must say it makes a whole load of difference. Well, not at first anyway. I expected my legs to feel a whole lot lighter, stronger and looser the moment the frames were gone but the reality of it is my legs needed time to recuperate. And they, did on a day by day basis.

My legs feel strong and light. I can sleep in my usual favorite positions again. Tendons are loosening up by the day. My toes which were tense from all that lengthening are regaining back their mobility. My knees are getting straighter by the day. Showering is so much easier now and nothing feels better than soaking my feet in hot water. In short, everything feels great.

Even though my custom-made leg splints arrived earlier in the week I still haven't stood yet. The doctors seem to be taking a more cautious approach these days and recommend putting off trying to stand until 10 days after the second surgery. I wouldn't be surprised if Dr Zhao comes by tomorrow and asks me to do so.

I must admit that enjoying my new legs and their freedom from the frames over the last ~2 weeks has distracted me from thinking about something which has crept into my mind only recently -- my departure. People sometimes build up their departure so much but in reality when I leave, life goes on. The people at Guangji Hospital all move on with their lives. It's just another day.

My girl will be coming over in 5 days time to usher me back home after staying for a couple more days. I will officially be leaving this place on the 30th of June. I will certainly be saying goodbye to all the faces I will be leaving behind; the people that have meant so much to me for the last 6 months. In the days leading to my departure I can't help but feel more introspective. My mind wanders to the first day I arrived, and how this point seemed so far beyond out of reach back then. I can't believe that I actually made the jump, the leap of faith, to reach for my dreams, and here I am at the end.

I want to thank everyone on this community who have given me support and spoken kind words. This community is a godsend without which, I wouldn't have had the conviction to follow through with my plans and achieve my dream of being tall. Thank you, MMT.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 02:14:53 PM by nomorelifts » Logged
MMTA
Former Site Admin
Administrator
MMT Expert

Credibility 1036

« Reply #151 on: June 21, 2009, 11:13:33 PM »

So glad to see you doing well!

Now that you're post lengthening and can feel your legs, can you imagine how crazy it is for people who think that they can lengthen 10cm in a few months and go home?

Once the frames come off, you realise that it is all about the soft tissue, and not about the bones Smiley

collegeboy
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 121

« Reply #152 on: June 22, 2009, 05:54:42 AM »

I really enjoyed your diary! Hope you recover your strength quickly  Grin
nomorelifts
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 152

« Reply #153 on: July 02, 2009, 01:04:51 AM »

DAY 175
Tuesday, Jun 30, 2009

As the sunlight crept through the openings in the curtains and blanketed my still shut eyes, I felt the warmth of summer all around me. I could have been dreaming in my half-awake state but I swear I hear the sound of birds chirping, serenading me on this special of special days. I let my thoughts wander.

I wander to the day I first arrived. The place was like nothing I had expected. I had seen pictures before but reality knocked any preparations I had off my feet.

I wander to the next few days my girl spent cozying up my room to make it more 'my space'. Little things like a drape here, the placement of a clock, goes a long way in affirming familiarity in a world where everything is suddenly so foreign.

I wander to the time when my heater got busted in the middle of winter. My legs broken and freezing in the night cold, it was amazing how I even managed to sleep at all.

I wander to the evenings playing cards with the boys. I wander to the time walking the halls and the squeaking noise our walkers used to make. I wander to the nights when we simply hanged and talked. Relationships were made in the process and solidarity formed when you know the person next to you is also in the trenches. These relationships will be missed.

I wander to the care and attention given to me by the staff here. I remember bugging Ronne for one thing or another. I remember Tang Jie dragging me by my frames on my first poop after the first surgery. I remember constantly making fun of Dr Zhao of his girly haircut. These relationships too will be missed.

I wander to the faces that I will be leaving behind and those that have left. As the lights go out, I want to remember everyone that has meant so much to me.

I wander to how my life would be had I not discovered LL. I wander to how my life could now turn out to be. Contented, happy, tall. Who's to say the future won't be as such.

I wander to the extreme measures I went through to become taller. Squeamish at first, I still cannot believe I actually went through the whole process breaking bones and sticking pins. It all feels like a long, drawn-out dream.

"Wakey, wakey." I opened my eyes and see Her lying there, Her voice filling out the warmth of the air, awakening me from my slumber. There had been no doubt about it. She had been there all the while, every step of the way.

It was time to go home.
It was time to end one journey and start another.
It was time to stop wandering.

It is time for living.

Zai Jian Beijing.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 01:10:59 AM by nomorelifts » Logged
jack0life
Handsome Mod
LL Hero
MMT Expert

Credibility 315

« Reply #154 on: July 02, 2009, 07:09:02 AM »

Great diary man.

Every cm was TORTURE.
MMTA
Former Site Admin
Administrator
MMT Expert

Credibility 1036

« Reply #155 on: July 03, 2009, 12:13:29 AM »

Now this is what you call a 'real diary' Smiley

sd1
MMT Member

Credibility 8

« Reply #156 on: July 03, 2009, 03:35:12 AM »

beeeeeeutiful...
nomorelifts
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 152

« Reply #157 on: July 14, 2009, 03:00:51 PM »

DAY 189
Tuesday, Jul 14, 2009

It's been two weeks now since I've been back and I've definitely settled into the comfort of home. It's certainly a great feeling eating my favourite foods and being with my loved ones. I spend most of my time at home so I haven't had a chance to let people react to my new height. I haven't missed Beijing, not yet anyway.

It's been 5 weeks since I had my frames removed and I am pretty pleased with my recovery. My girl says my knees are perfectly straight (no more bending) but I am not so sure. I am a perfectionist in this regard and I might seek a physical therapist to measure my knee's range of motion (ROM) just to make sure it is normal.

I can stand fairly straight but not perfectly yet. If I look sideways in the mirror my posture looks fine but it doesn't feel totally straight yet. I would say my gait is 95% straight which is good enough for me to maintain my balance while standing up. The slight ballerina I had in my right foot is 100% gone and my heels touch the ground naturally when I put my feet down flat. Everything feels great. I don't have any pains or aches anywhere whatsoever.

I started using crutches on the day I left Beijing (that's 3 weeks after frames removal). I left the wheelchair behind and since the walker was too big to fit on the airplane's aisles, I had to use the crutches. I managed fine but my legs were knackered by the time I got home.

I have since thrown out the walker and these days I go by fine with just one crutch. I can walk with two crutches pretty fast (as fast as pre-LL walking) and can even take short steps unaided and without touching the walls, but because I'm a heavy guy, I will stick to using two crutches as long as possible.

Moving around is definitely more cumbersome. The floor is not completely flat in my house so I can't roll myself around on the office chair like I used to. So I have to strap on the leg braces and walk everytime I need the toilet or to get some food.

One thing I've noticed is that my feet sweat more. I am not sure why. Initially I blamed it on Tramadol but it's been 2 months since I last took it and my feet still sweat. Perhaps this is a side effect of all that trauma exerted on my legs. I am still waiting for my calves to blow up in size as my legs are still too skinny for my liking.

I will definitely be posting updates on my recovery as they come and I am cautiously positive that in the next 3 weeks my legs will feel even better. I got my girl to measure me standing and below are the numbers along with a summary of how long it took me to get to my current height.

Summary

Original Height: 172.5 cm
Final Height: 180.5 cm (lengthened 7.5 cm, the rest was from X-leg correction)

Doctors: Professor Xia & Dr. Peng

Operation Date: 7 January 2009
Lengthing Stopped: 18 May 2009
Frames Removed: 9 June 2009
Returned Home: 30 June 2009
jack0life
Handsome Mod
LL Hero
MMT Expert

Credibility 315

« Reply #158 on: July 14, 2009, 08:16:58 PM »

People should follow your footstep on how to do a successful LL.
- You did your research and followed advice from previous LLers.
- You took your time.
- Had a positive outlook.
Hence, a very successful LL.

Every cm was TORTURE.
MMTA
Former Site Admin
Administrator
MMT Expert

Credibility 1036

« Reply #159 on: July 14, 2009, 11:56:30 PM »

Great story, NML - you the man!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Make Me Taller! The world's number one elective leg lengthening site! Come here for information about LL, things to make you taller, how to get taller permanently, Ilizarov, Betzbone, Guichet Nail, PRECICE, height growth and other height related issues. This is the number one leg lengthening forum for height seekers and people trying to become taller. It was created and run by people who have actually done leg lengthening surgery (LL).

As a community site, MMT forum thrives on people's contributions, so please feel free to share your make me taller questions, videos, photos and experiences here in this leg lengthening forum. Make me taller is open to all, but please read the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) before posting as this will answer nearly all of your questions about getting taller through surgery. Please read our leg lengthening diaries too! We hope that you find this forum useful. Cheers, SysOp.