MMT Community
January 21, 2019, 01:49:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Check out the new photos in the Proportions section, which include photos and videos of a lady who lengthened by a full 12cm walking and stretching, and a guy who did 8.8cm taking his first steps! Shocked Click Here!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NoMoreLifts - External Tibias - Dr. Xia - 2009 - NoMoreLifts Beijing diary  (Read 44955 times)
MMTA
Former Site Admin
Administrator
MMT Expert

Credibility 1036

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2009, 07:29:56 PM »

Reading your diary brings back so many memories!

MedStudent
LL Trooper
MMT Member

Credibility 28

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2009, 06:40:08 AM »

Jack0life, if u decide to come to Beijing in February, and u still have some of the movies from the 750gb hardrive (or any other movies), it would be great if u can bring it! thanks
jack0life
Handsome Mod
LL Hero
MMT Expert

Credibility 315

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2009, 08:39:34 AM »

Pretty all gone but I still do have a small collection.
I got my ticket to VN already. Feb8-April7.
If I can get a ticket for around $500 round trip and a visa, I'll be up there.
And of course if my bones have consolidated which I'm prety sure it is.

Every cm was TORTURE.
Went from 158cm to 166cm in Beijing !!
jack0life
Handsome Mod
LL Hero
MMT Expert

Credibility 315

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2009, 10:44:08 PM »

Requested by NoMoreLifts, I edited out some of the pertain infos as he like to remain anonymous as possible.

Every cm was TORTURE.
nomorelifts
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 152

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2009, 08:27:44 AM »

Hey chinagirl, how are you? My apologies for requesting the deletions in your previous entry but I'd like certain aspects of my life to remain as anonymous as possible. In response to your question, I knew about Fitbone but never seriously considered it as the price is just way too high. Also, Dr Xia's reputation in the field as well as MMT's success ultimately prompted me to only consider Dr Xia's team for an LL procedure.
nomorelifts
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 152

« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2009, 12:53:20 PM »

Day 7

Hey guys! Today I started my lengthening! Like clockwork Dr Zhao came by at 8:30, spanners in one hand and walker in the other. He first proceeded to teach me the meat and potatoes of the lengthening technique. Since it was my first week, I get 6 turns a day.

Done with that, Dr Zhao told me that now I was going to try and use the walker. I slowly got my feet over the side of the bed and onto the floor. Dr Zhao unfolded the walker and positioned it at the side of my bed and told me to get on the contraption. I positioned my elbows on the handles for leverage and tried to pull myself. Tightening my back and arms, I used my chest muscles to pull my 88 kg frame up and slowly wrested my hands into position. Instinctively in the take-off process, my lower leg muscles also came into play and this coupled with the fact that I was now upright, resulted in a tidalwave of bloodflow rushing down to my toes. It was part pain, part exhilaration -- I didn't know what to feel!

Slowly I released some tension in my arms to place more weight on my legs. I followed Dr Zhao's promptings to start moving my knees and toes a bit and this movement limbered up my legs, and with each increasing bloodflow I could feel my legs regaining their strength. I even managed to support myself only with one arm on the walker! Later on in the afternoon, on my second outing on the walker, I even managed to squeeze in a short walk within my room. This felt amazing!

In the afternoon MedStudent & ThatGuy came over to visit. These guys are really cool and fun to hang with. I can't wait to gain more mobility and tear it up with these guys.

Thankfully, order was restored and Bow Jows returned today!

The heater is still busted so I am all cuddled up right now. Gonna talk to my girl over skype and then watch a movie. I still have yet to get a good night's sleep. Wish me luck!
nomorelifts
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 152

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2009, 02:26:16 PM »

Day 8

I managed to sleep better last night. For the first time I got about 6 hrs in. So I felt relatively refreshed. Shortly after, Dr Zhao came by and took me for morning walker walk, and at about the same time, the heater repairmen finally came! Finally I wouldn't have to freeze at night anymore.

I have to say, I consider myself fortunate to have Dr Zhao as my doctor. He visits me regularly every morning at 8:30, and sometimes even comes by more than once. Even though he is young, he is very attentive and takes the time to help me every day. Today he came by in the afternoon to help me bend the back of my frames to so my knees could bend better. He also taught me how to clean my pin sites. He is fluent in english and this helps a lot.

At about 13:30, the massage masters (Dr Ronne called them 'shifus' - chinese for masters) came by and gave me and my roomie a great hour and a half bodyrub. Dr Ronne asked if we wanted our feet massaged but we reserved this for next time.

One of the patients is leaving today and came by to say goodbye. She encouraged us and gave us a couple of tips. Apparently her roomie is an even bigger tome of knowledge. She too, will be leaving in about 10 days' time and she told us to speak to her before she left if possible -- I don't think we can move about by then so roomie if you're reading this, do come by to room 217/18 to say goodbye. She also told me that I am in the same bed that MMT occupied when he had his rods removed. I'll be sure to channel some MMT to get me through the rough patches ahead!

It's been a relatively uneventful day so far. I can hear quite a ruckus outside -- I bet it's some of the guys from the opposite block visiting MedStudent & ThatGuy. Even the maids are joining in at times! As for me and my roomie, we're still huddled up in bed. He's watching a DVD and I'm mostly on the computer. Eventually there'll be two more voices to add to the mix! It's gonna be a party! Nurse Bai just came into the room with some sleepaids & tramadol. Although I don't use them, I just take them in case. I'm thinking of building up a collection and starting my own tramadol factory, you see.

I'm still waiting for my girl to appear on skype. I've been thinking about her a lot today. We had been on a holiday before we came to Beijing and my thoughts keep wandering to those sweet memories. It just seems so surreal that a little over a week ago, we were enjoying the sun and the breeze of a foreign land, taking long walks and embarking on adventures, and now I am unable to use my legs. My thoughts also wander to what I think my final hurdle will be. It may take as long as two years but I am determined to make a full recovery and enjoy life with my girl as a taller person.

It is always important to have a goal to work towards to. LL is very mentally demanding and having one will help get you through the days.
MMTA
Former Site Admin
Administrator
MMT Expert

Credibility 1036

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2009, 07:39:12 PM »

Great diary, No More Lifts! I hope that bed is more comfortable than when I stayed in - the one I had my first procedure in was the best by far!

nomorelifts
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 152

« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2009, 01:49:26 PM »

Great diary, No More Lifts! I hope that bed is more comfortable than when I stayed in
Thanks MMT! The bed is not the problem, the heater is Smiley

the one I had my first procedure in was the best by far!
Mind telling me which bed that is?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 01:51:07 PM by nomorelifts » Logged
MMTA
Former Site Admin
Administrator
MMT Expert

Credibility 1036

« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2009, 12:03:02 AM »

Thanks MMT! The bed is not the problem, the heater is Smiley
Mind telling me which bed that is?

Bed 13, I think - it is the one in the end room on the left Smiley

nomorelifts
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 152

« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2009, 01:21:38 AM »

Bed 13, I think - it is the one in the end room on the left Smiley
Well they may have shifted the numbering a little bit cos the end room on the left is mine -- beds 17 & 18. Bed 13 in the current scheme is currently occupied by MedStudent.
nomorelifts
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 152

« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2009, 05:44:02 AM »

DAY 11

It's been smooth sailing lately. My days are filled with leg exercises, assisted walks using the walker, cleaning pin sites, and lengthening turns. In between, I sneak in a TV episode or two and some web and email.

It's saturday today, so I won't expect any doctor visits till monday. Oh yeah, I have my first x-ray scheduled for monday. By that time I'd have done 36 turns which should translate to 0.6 cm of growth. Hopefully I'll get an indication of how well my bone growth is.

As I've mentioned before, I plan to do 5 - 7.5 cm of lengthening. I plan to do 5 turns for the first 5 cm, and then slow down to 4 turns for the remaining 0.5 - 2.5 cm. I will only do this with the doctor's opinion of course.

I have a spreadsheet designed to track my progress. I believe it's an important step and is quite fulfilling to see all those millimeters add up. I have even set formulas to calculate various proportion ratios and dates based on how many centimeters I do go for.

One thing I've noticed from reading the veterans' diary (e.g. MMT, MysteryMan) is that the nurses aren't as heavily involved anymore. We don't have nurses to help get us off our bums and push us to exercise. This adds to the feeling that this is a leg lengthening factory and patients are expected to do these themselves if they want to achieve better results.

My alarm just went off and my next scheduled walk's due. Till next time guys...
jack0life
Handsome Mod
LL Hero
MMT Expert

Credibility 315

« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2009, 12:00:04 AM »

When MMT and Mysteryman were there, there were so few foreigners that they actually got better attention.
Once our group was there, there was like 30 of us there so the attention went out the windows.
Yeah it was definately like a factory when I was there.
There was even a picture of Ronne doing Bow Jows....yeah Ronne.
Still I got what I wanted and couldn't be happier.

Every cm was TORTURE.
MMTA
Former Site Admin
Administrator
MMT Expert

Credibility 1036

« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2009, 12:27:10 AM »

One thing I've noticed from reading the veterans' diary (e.g. MMT, MysteryMan) is that the nurses aren't as heavily involved anymore. We don't have nurses to help get us off our bums and push us to exercise. This adds to the feeling that this is a leg lengthening factory and patients are expected to do these themselves if they want to achieve better results.

You might have to schmooze them a bit... It's fair to say that Mysteryman and I spent a lot of time chasing nurses down the corridor before we established a good relationship with them Wink

nomorelifts
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 152

« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2009, 10:42:10 AM »

DAY 13

Had my x-ray today. It was gonna be a foray into the cold winter winds so I strapped on a jacket and a pair of special pants that was made for me. About the pants, these have zippers that run the entire length of both sides of my legs which makes them easy to wear while lying in bed. These were made when I got here, there's no need to buy any before coming to Beijing. It's these little things that really reveal how experienced Dr Xia's team really are.

It's funny that whenever it comes to heavy lifting, Hao Jie seems to be the person assigned for the job. She doesn't look any bigger than any of the other maids, but I guess strength is deceptive. In any case, pushing 85kg ol' me around the corridors and along upward ramps in a wheelchair must have been quite a workout for her.

We had to wait a bit when we arrived at the x-ray theatre as there was another local chinese girl before me. Soon enough it was my turn and I managed to get myself onto the x-ray table without much drama. Hey, I may be heavy but I'm strong! Even Hao Jie keeps telling me so Smiley Soon enough Dr Jekyll (that's not his real name but I call him this as he has bipolar tendencies somewhat) came out and did his thing, positioning my legs and taking the x-ray.

We had to wait a little for the results after which we made our way to see the head surgeon, Dr Peng. My x-leg correction meant that I have not had enough seperation in my tibias yet. He explained that he altered the angle of my tibias a bit during the initial surgery and this new angle meant that not all the turns I had did so far resulted in distraction of the bones. He said this was normal and instructed me to continue with 6 turns and to come back for another x-ray on friday. He also commented that I had good bone growth so that was a positive. Later on in the afternoon, Dr Peng came by my room again but this time brought Dr Ronne along so she could translate. He told me that my x-leg correction was not over and that it will be a gradual process alongside the lengthening. Adjustments will have to be made via the screws of my fixators, starting in about a month's time. Uh-oh, I better start stocking up on my Tramadol! On another note, I'm interested to see how many centimeters the correction will eventually buy me.

My roomie is having some back pain so Dr Ronne scheduled in the massage shifus to come by in the afternoon today. They provide a nice 1.5 hr distraction and I must say they compensate for their lack of vision with an enhanced sense of touch. I declined the foot rub as one of the pins in my right leg is causing a bit of tightness in my right instep and opted for a neck rub instead.

One minor complain about Beijing -- they have about 60 free to air channels but only one is in english, and even then they only show news and the occassional documentary. Man, I'd kill for some reruns! I normally have it on for background noise as otherwise the room would be too quiet.

It's been pretty slow sailing today. Hao Jie just came by with our evening bedwash so I'm gonna go clean up now. I have 2 more turns to go today and aside from sleeping issues (I'm still averaging 5-6 hrs) it's been uneventful so far. LL is a mental process and you just have to patiently keep doing your daily turns while toughing out the various discomforts. What gets me by is the thought of spending the coming summer as a taller me back home with my girl. I already have an idea what movies are playing then and I can't wait when I am finally sitting with my girl in that cinema watching the movie that I have been planning months to watch. I can just imagine how glad I will be to have undergone LL and will be amazed at how fast time had flied Smiley
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 01:35:33 PM by nomorelifts » Logged
arruza
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2009, 12:10:52 PM »

Hi, nomorelifts!!
Just dropped by to let you know that your diary's a delight to read. You are wonderfully calm, patient and positive about everything you're going through. Keep it up. Good luck with your LL  Wink.
MMTA
Former Site Admin
Administrator
MMT Expert

Credibility 1036

« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2009, 08:37:45 PM »

Upgraded to VIP status as this diary really is a joy to read Smiley

Cheers, MMT

nomorelifts
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 152

« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2009, 05:40:18 AM »

DAY 14

Woke up to a nice surprise today. MMT decided to bump my diary to the VIP section. Thanks MMT Smiley

Thanks to those who have given me encouragement and support! I am glad that others are enjoying my diary as much as I am enjoying writing it. I wish to convey not only information, but also the intrinsic feelings and emotions that I am going through during this process. My time in Beijing will come to an end one day and I see this diary as a way for me to preserve my experiences so I may revisit them in future.

My roomie -- let's just call him Wilby for now -- took xanax two nights ago and is in bad shape right now. I am not sure if it's entirely the result of side medicating, but he's lost almost all strength in his upper body. He has trouble swallowing and even lifting a bottle of water is a struggle. Dr Peng and Dr Ronne came by and brought him to another hospital in order to get his nervous system checked out. He's now back but they're isolating him in an executive room for tonight in the hopes that he'll be able to get a good night's rest. So let this be a lesson boys and girls! There's always a possibility of complications when side medicating.

Since I have the room all to myself, MedStudent and ThatGuy came by to keep me company in the evening. We hung out till bedtime discussing various aspects of LL. We talked about how much lengthening to do, measured wingspans, and talked about meeting jack0life sometime in February/March. The camaraderie here is great and being able to talk about LL to other people who 'get it' is one of the wonderful things I have experienced here so far.

It's a little chilly today, so I have been hibernating in my bed most of the day. I still do my exercises + walk three times a day, but apart from that I'm usually in bed on my Macbook. I can't wait till Spring comes, which is just about the right amount of time I need to get good mobility.

After doing my sixth turn today, I am starting to feel a dull pain in my right shin. I guess this is the start of the pain for me. No macho stuff from me -- I will be popping my first two tramadols tonight.

Wilby should be back tomorrow. I will update this diary on his condition then.

Later...
MMTA
Former Site Admin
Administrator
MMT Expert

Credibility 1036

« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2009, 04:57:48 PM »

Woke up to a nice surprise today. MMT decided to bump my diary to the VIP section. Thanks MMT Smiley

Thoroughly deserved!

My roomie -- let's just call him Wilby for now -- took xanax two nights ago and is in bad shape right now. I am not sure if it's entirely the result of side medicating, but he's lost almost all strength in his upper body.

People REALLY need to stay off the self-medication. The pain shouldn't really be so bad that you need it, and you should always follow the advice of doctors.

As for sleeping and pain-relief, I found that a little self-love each night before bedtime worked wonders  Grin

I hope that he recovers soon!

MMT

nomorelifts
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 152

« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2009, 07:42:35 AM »

DAY 16

A scary thing happened to me today. After a couple of rounds of cards with MedStudent and ThatGuy, I went out for my evening walk. It was a cold night and I welcomed the opportunity to warm my legs with a workout. After 30 mins getting to the nurses' station and back, it was time to clean my pin sites. I propped myself on the bed and kept both knees bent pointing up towards the ceiling. I went about cleaning pin sites on my right leg as I normally do and that's when it happened...

POP!! It was my left leg! I looked over and saw blood gushing from one of the pins that went through my upper left tibia. Worst still, it was bleeding from both sides of the same pin! At that moment, all I could think about was stopping the bleeding. Blood was gushing onto the newly-changed sheets and the sight of bright red against fresh white further amplified my anxiousness. I grabbed some tissues to try and limit the mess and called the nurse.

Clutching my left leg, I wondered what could have happened. By any means, I wasn't doing anything strenuous and my left leg was stationary when it happened. Had I overworked my legs from the walking I did? Had my bending at the knee cause a tension in a pin so great that it broke the pin inside? Had my kneecap been dislocated and even though it didn't look like it, what do I know? These thoughts filled my mind. The nurse came by and told me to give it time and eventually the bleeding trickled off. I cleaned off the blood and finished up with the remainder pin sites.

To say I was worried was an understatement. There was something so unreal about the POP. There was no pain and I still had the same mobility and flexibility as before. I popped two tramadols just to be on the safe side. Thankfully I have an x-ray scheduled the tomorrow so if there is any problem internally it would show up.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 07:45:32 AM by nomorelifts » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Make Me Taller! The world's number one elective leg lengthening site! Come here for information about LL, things to make you taller, how to get taller permanently, Ilizarov, Betzbone, Guichet Nail, PRECICE, height growth and other height related issues. This is the number one leg lengthening forum for height seekers and people trying to become taller. It was created and run by people who have actually done leg lengthening surgery (LL).

As a community site, MMT forum thrives on people's contributions, so please feel free to share your make me taller questions, videos, photos and experiences here in this leg lengthening forum. Make me taller is open to all, but please read the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) before posting as this will answer nearly all of your questions about getting taller through surgery. Please read our leg lengthening diaries too! We hope that you find this forum useful. Cheers, SysOp.