MMT Community
February 22, 2019, 10:22:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS! Please make sure that you only post general questions on the 'General Questions' board or you'll get a lot of flames - and make sure you read the FAQs and DIARIES first Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Miscellaneous items that may or may not be of help along the way  (Read 19749 times)
Isabelle
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 262

« on: February 10, 2007, 03:46:26 AM »

Well I can only think of one at the moment. I ended up getting a pair of those leg protectors I mentioned in Mysteryman?s thread. The reason I asked about them is because I was hoping to find a some what helpful suggestion for making showers slightly easier (if that?s possible).  Sounded like some people were avoiding showers altogether there because it was so awkward and difficult so I figured if the feet and legs were fully enclosed one could perhaps be more in a sitting position and not be quite so worried about getting them wet. I?m not really sure if this is a good thing or not, or how hard it is to pull these carefully on if it hurts just stretching to do so. Feel free to let me know anybody if they?re a bad idea or no real improvement on the current situation. Maybe they wont even be allowed.

If anyone knows of or can think of anything that hasn?t already been mentioned or deserves a mention again that could be helpful for anyone, please feel free to post here.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2007, 04:29:46 AM by Isabelle » Logged
MMTA
Former Site Admin
Administrator
MMT Expert

Credibility 1036

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2007, 12:58:53 PM »

Ha-ha - sexy!

But seriously, these would have been quite useful when I was going my lengthening, as long as the plastic is tear proof or it would have got shredded by the frames.

These would be ultra-useful once you get the frames off, because you still need to keep the pin-sites dry and clean.

chinesepimp
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2007, 09:13:05 PM »

Wow, thanks for the info! That is exactly what I was looking for because I'm sort of a clean freak so showering everyday is part of my daily routine.  I was planning to use saran wrap but this is much better.  Can you tell me where you got yours from? Thanks.
Isabelle
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 262

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2007, 02:53:20 AM »

Hi there, I?m not altogether sure if they?re tear proof as far as the frames go. I was hoping they?d be ok if put on real careful but canvas would obviously be better that way, these things are really designed to cover casts and bandages. Not sure how long a pair would last, I?ll just have to be super careful and see how they go.

I picked them up in the chemist. They?re a surgipack called Keep Dry and were about AU$18 but I?m sure they would have been cheaper only they have this patented one size fits all thing with 3 different opening size options which you?re meant to cut to the size that is nearest to the circumference of your thigh. Well because the frames are pretty bulky, no doubt you need the opening to be bigger than your thigh so this patent thing is a waste of time. I?m wearing a plain, stretchy, sizeable rubber band but if that turned out awkward to put on, long flat shoelaces or something tied firmly and securely would do the trick I think. There might be other protectors, just this was the only one in the chemist. Maybe I could wrap something light and a little padded round the frames first before putting them on. I?ll work on it though in case I can find any better ideas. Not exactly black silk stockings heh MMT Grin
Isabelle
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 262

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2007, 04:35:39 AM »

Check this out!! Thought I?d just post this because it?s for waterproofing and I notice the boys got a leg device with pins sticking out fitted to his shin similar to leg lengthening. I'll have to see if they're for adults too: http://www.hammond-drysuits.co.uk/view_category.asp?cat=56   

Here?s some pages of more examples of the cheaper ones with better looking seals than mine but the link above looks more promising: http://www.nextag.com/dry-cast/search-html
« Last Edit: February 11, 2007, 04:38:48 AM by Isabelle » Logged
llquestioner
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2007, 06:48:01 AM »

hey mmt what kind of supplements did you take?
Isabelle
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 262

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2007, 03:58:15 AM »

I think the boys posted something about what they were taking in the diary section but on the topic of supplements I came across an interesting article on particular supplements and herbal medications which can significantly increase bleeding during and in some cases after surgery, prolong sedation, and herbal medications with serious complications or drug interactions during surgery. For example it mentions Vitamin E prior to surgery and immediately after increases bleeding, impairs wound healing ? especially tendons (which is something we doing leg lengthening surely don?t need) and Omega-3, EFA, Flax & Fish Oil, Glucosamine & Chondroitin and Echinacea amongst others were implicated as well as far as increasing bleeding. Glucosamine is mentioned pre surgery but I noticed Chondroitin is listed in supplements that can significantly increase bleeding during and after surgery so not so sure if taking Glucosamine and Chondroitin combined in the one supplement immediately post surgery is a great idea.

The day of my chest surgery I remember amongst the questions I was asked was whether I had been taking supplements like these before surgery and as it turned out I had been taking Ginko Biloba (one of the supplements listed) in a multi supplement which they didn't seem concerned about so unless dosage is fairly high there doesn't appear to be anything to worry about. I had to wonder would they have turned me away if I'd been taking one or more of these supplements at fairly high dose but it seemed more a case that they simply take it into consideration. We would be warned well ahead of the surgery I should think otherwise. Either way forwarned is forearmed and we would prefer to have the most positive surgery and recovery experience we can. The link also gives guidance on how many hours / weeks pre surgery it is recommended to discontinue use so for those taking supplements it?s worth checking out: http://www.columbiasurgery.org/divisions/plastic/06_HerbsPlastics.pdf
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 04:39:54 AM by Isabelle » Logged
Isabelle
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 262

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2007, 04:30:03 PM »

Been a while heh but it?s me again with an update Smiley  Thought I?d mention that a couple of the other patients I was talking to have no problems showering on their own with the canvas, plastic etc provided by the hospital, apart from being a little time consuming but when you?re disabled that goes for the leggings too. Also not sure if this was previously the case but the patients here obtain a stool to sit next to the shower which makes it more doable alone. If I remember correctly legs are raised on these wheely office chairs you purchase initially which the maids used to take you to loo and can afterwards be used to get about your room.. I think MMT said they didn?t have them during his stay. Since I brought along the leggings however have been using them and haven?t tried the hospital?s method so can?t really give a personal comparison except to say I couldn?t use them initially until my legs were more flexible.

Some quick feedback: The good thing about these leggings is they?re roomy and have a large opening to insert your legs. The down side: am sorry I didn?t get a more durable thicker pair since these really are extra light and you feel like one false move with the feet and they could tear. Toe nails need to be trim and there needs to be  some kind of padding around the frame as imagined but I?d probably do the same with thicker more durable plastic leggings (depending how durable) as an added safety precaution as well. Ended up cutting off the long zippered legs of one of the pairs of flannelette pants I had made here that I don?t wear but otherwise thick cloth wrapped and tied around would do as well. Zipped these up my legs and tied under the feet and around the knees, gently pulling over the leggings.

One item that I think Mysteryman mentioned somewhere but I?ll mention again that seems to be quite popular and easily purchased here is the air ring cushion usually in rubber to take the pressure off the coccyx when sitting in bed or in the wheelchair. Believe me the pressure can really build up!!! Stewie started out with one and the popularity seemed to spread from there. One of the girls was very kind enough to give me a spare one and it certainly helps to give some respite on and off in the day. I know they are usually available in decent chemists and guess there?s different brands etc but here?s just an example of one for those who haven?t seen them:   http://www.amazon.com/Carex-Inflatable-Ring-Cushion-Rubber/dp/B0000533DY

For the ladies:  Shortly after surgery one of the maids got Chloe some underpants with ribbons on the sides that tie. I quickly ordered some myself since they?re really helpful, especially initially when you can?t pull on a regular pair your self and it already seems to take ages pulling on shorts or trousers even with the maids help. If you can?t happen to find any WEG kindly suggested altering your own pants using Velcro to fasten sides instead.

If I can think of anything else will post Wink
174cm
LL Hero
MMT Adviser

Credibility 114

Read the FAQs before you POST or it is SPAM!

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2007, 08:01:16 PM »

Isabella...
you post again at long last ....
heard other guys say that you never go out of your room?
well, at least come and say hello to me when i arrive ok?
till then, take care..

Isabelle
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 262

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2007, 02:17:42 PM »

Hi there 169, you're a character Smiley yeah it?s true I must be the only loner round here but I?m always happy to chat when I strike someone out and about when I happen to be.  I?d feel awkward visiting people particularly since many people seem to be on a different time table to me with their exercising and sleeping but the ghost will be visiting jackodeath again before too long ( it will be the 4th time he?s seen me hehe ) and I?ll be sure to pay you a special visit when I know you have arrived here Grin 
MMTA
Former Site Admin
Administrator
MMT Expert

Credibility 1036

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2007, 03:20:11 PM »

Hi there 169, you're a character Smiley yeah it?s true I must be the only loner round here but I?m always happy to chat when I strike someone out and about when I happen to be.  I?d feel awkward visiting people particularly since many people seem to be on a different time table to me with their exercising and sleeping but the ghost will be visiting jackodeath again before too long ( it will be the 4th time he?s seen me hehe ) and I?ll be sure to pay you a special visit when I know you have arrived here Grin 

Glad to hear that you're doing well, Isabelle! Say hello to Gungho for me too Smiley

Isabelle
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 262

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2007, 01:59:29 PM »

Thanks MMT, am very relieved the quality of my new bone growth has been excellent considering the fairly poor condition the dr?s found them in. I was a big consumer of dairy back home too so obviously the calcium supplements I?ve been taking since made all the difference for me by also including the necessary vitamins and minerals to help assimilate and utilize the calcium Smiley
jack0life
Handsome Mod
LL Hero
MMT Expert

Credibility 315

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2007, 02:11:46 AM »

Heh, I make it a point to tell Isabelle how many times I'm seen her so far.
Funny how I met her the first time.
My room is next door to Chloe and she was over there asking her whos this "jackodeath" and is he here ??
They were like, he's next door  Grin

BTW, I would say buy some good calcium pills before you get here.
They will give you a free bottle of calcium pills but talking 4 per day still only give you 500mg.(you have to buy more)
They recommend 1000mg per day and since your leg legs is broken, you essentially could take more.

Every cm was TORTURE.
Went from 158cm to 166cm in Beijing !!
Sandalphon
Lurker

Credibility 0

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2007, 02:44:05 AM »

Hello everybody,

This forum rocks.
What you guys are striving for is amazing... It really is inspiring!
I'll be a happy man if I can tackle life's obstacles with the determination you have, even if I don't succeed in my own attempts to 'grow' taller.

I would like to contribute something. After reading the diaries, I came to understand that stretching is instrumental to a successful LL.
I know a device that may be of some help, it's called the 'Master Stretch' at artform.it/english.htm

(Click on 'Equipment', then 'Master Stretch')

I think it's pretty cool.
Check it out, hopefully someone can benefit from it.

Peace,
« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 12:27:17 PM by MMT Admin » Logged
Isabelle
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 262

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2007, 03:40:52 PM »

Hi Sandalphon, nice to hear from you Smiley that gadget does look real nifty and I?d be interested to hear from someone more in the know, their thoughts on it. Thanks for contributing Cool
brooklyn girl
Banned
Lurker

Credibility 1

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2007, 03:58:15 PM »

Hi Isabelle.. oh wow You are truly inspirational. I'm kind of new to this forum and had no idea that a female would do this type of a surgery . You must be really brave. how old are you? and what made you do it?. Well, i have been obsessed most of my life with being short, I'm 20 and stand only 5'4 and hate every bit it. I am currently in college and as soon as I will graduate I will get the procedure done. You truly have no idea how much better you've made me feel  it means so much to me. can you tell me a little more about you. Thanks.
Isabelle
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 262

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2007, 04:01:48 PM »

Hi Jack, I brought calcium citrate along with me but it seems you need to take more of the citrate form than the carbonate form that?s in the Bone Formula. I agree it's a good idea to take extra when going through LL of course. For anyone not sure, this helps to explain a little of the differences between the two, can?t remember where I copied it from:

The two main forms of calcium found in supplements are carbonate and citrate. Calcium carbonate is the most common because it is inexpensive and convenient. The absorption of calcium citrate is similar to calcium carbonate. For instance, a calcium carbonate supplement contains 40% calcium while a calcium citrate supplement only contains 21% calcium.

However, you have to take more pills of calcium citrate to get the same amount of calcium as you would get from a calcium carbonate pill since citrate is a larger molecule than carbonate.

One advantage of calcium citrate over calcium carbonate is better absorption in those individuals who have decreased stomach acid. Calcium citrate malate is a form of calcium used in the fortification of certain juices and is also well absorbed {116}. Other forms of calcium in supplements or fortified foods include calcium gluconate, lactate, and phosphate.

The amount of calcium your body obtains from various supplements depends on the amount of elemental calcium in the tablet. The amount of elemental calcium is the amount of calcium that is actually in the supplement. Calcium absorption also depends on the total amount of calcium consumed at one time and whether the calcium is taken with food or on an empty stomach.

Absorption from supplements is best in doses 500 mg or less because the percent of calcium absorbed decreases as the amount of calcium in the supplement increases {117,118}. Therefore, someone taking 1000 mg of calcium in a supplement should take 500 mg twice a day instead of 1000 mg calcium at one time.

Isabelle
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 262

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2007, 04:15:27 PM »

Hi brooklyn girl, just saw your post after I posted, gee thanks for the kind words Smiley  My knees have about given up the ghost holding up my computer for the night so unfortunately will have to get back to this one . Thanks again Smiley
Isabelle
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 262

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2007, 03:59:35 PM »

Hi again brooklyn girl, you?re certainly not alone here. First of all I?m not so sure I?m brave, just when I get worked up about something for so long I just end up doing the thing. Also there were 3 foreign females here when I arrived (aside from the many Chinese females) including Pixie and Chloe and Mary who arrived the day after me so we may be out numbered by the males but there are certainly women doing this thing. Looks like my knees have decided again that I finish up but if you?re thinking about LL this board is a great place and there are many helpful people here Smiley
174cm
LL Hero
MMT Adviser

Credibility 114

Read the FAQs before you POST or it is SPAM!

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2007, 04:05:40 PM »

Hi again brooklyn girl, you?re certainly not alone here. First of all I?m not so sure I?m brave, just when I get worked up about something for so long I just end up doing the thing. Also there were 3 foreign females here when I arrived (aside from the many Chinese females) including Pixie and Chloe and Mary who arrived the day after me so we may be out numbered by the males but there are certainly women doing this thing. Looks like my knees have decided again that I finish up but if you?re thinking about LL this board is a great place and there are many helpful people here Smiley

your knees decides that you finish up? how many cm have you got?
hope that you won't leave too son  Cheesy

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Make Me Taller! The world's number one elective leg lengthening site! Come here for information about LL, things to make you taller, how to get taller permanently, Ilizarov, Betzbone, Guichet Nail, PRECICE, height growth and other height related issues. This is the number one leg lengthening forum for height seekers and people trying to become taller. It was created and run by people who have actually done leg lengthening surgery (LL).

As a community site, MMT forum thrives on people's contributions, so please feel free to share your make me taller questions, videos, photos and experiences here in this leg lengthening forum. Make me taller is open to all, but please read the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) before posting as this will answer nearly all of your questions about getting taller through surgery. Please read our leg lengthening diaries too! We hope that you find this forum useful. Cheers, SysOp.