MMT Community
January 21, 2019, 01:22:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tough love is the best love for people considering Leg Lengthening - the truth hurts, but it's important to be realistic Wink

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 20   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Growing - Internal Femurs - Dr. Betz - 2009 - Growing's Albizzia adventure  (Read 111447 times)
Growing
LL Veteran
MMT Adviser

Credibility 175

« on: March 11, 2009, 04:37:53 PM »

Hello everyone.  As I had promised, this is my journal where I intend to chronicle my experiences with the Albizzia procedure as performed by Dr. Betz.

First and foremost, I am very excited.  I have seen my height as a bit of a scar from a period of my life that has given me much pain.  From age 12 extending in to my early twenties, I suffered from eating disorders of various types.  Unfortunately for my growth, they all included extremes of caloric restriction and exercise.  Of course, I cannot prove that this affected my growth.  But let's just call it a strong inference.  My dad is 5'10" and my mom is 5'4".  My sis is 5'5".  You better believe I wear lifts around my sis when she is in her heels lol

Anyway, now that we have finished with the way too much information portion of my journal, I will get to my stats.  I am just under 168 centimeters (5'6"), male, 160 pounds.  I am looking to lengthen 10 centimeters in my femurs to put me at 5'10".  There will be no more short comments coming my way at 5'10"(unless I move to the Netherlands).  And frankly, if the projections are any indication, I'm just going to say it: I'm gonna look gooooood.

I wish I could explain how happy I am.

More to come!

+ 7.7 cm.
Pursuer
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 08:24:33 PM »

I think sleep deprivation and not enough nutrition intake are two major factors in destroying your genetic given growth boost when you're young.. lack of exercise isn't

Why didn't you juts break all of her shoes' heels? Wink
Growing
LL Veteran
MMT Adviser

Credibility 175

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 10:17:44 PM »

I think sleep deprivation and not enough nutrition intake are two major factors in destroying your genetic given growth boost when you're young.. lack of exercise isn't

Woops.  Let me clarify: I ate as little as possible and exercised as much as possible Sad

+ 7.7 cm.
Growing
LL Veteran
MMT Adviser

Credibility 175

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 10:26:13 PM »

OK guys.  So this post fits nicely with Jamee's recent posts.  I'm just a few days away from my procedure and I've already realized the pitfalls of telling anyone about this.  I told only my dad and stepmom, yet my sister, my mom, my uncle, my aunts, my dad's and stepmom's best friends (including our neighbors up the street, who, oh btw have a son who went to high school with me), and my best friend's mom (whom my dad saw at the gym and just HAD to share this with) are all in the know. 

The problem is that people don't see it as violating your trust because they are telling people whom they trust.  It's obviously dubious logic.  You can explicitly state however many times you want, however intensely you want that this is completely private, but people are going to tell other people.

The moral of the story is that if you don't want anyone to know, don't tell anyone.  ANYONE.

+ 7.7 cm.
MMTA
Former Site Admin
Administrator
MMT Expert

Credibility 1036

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 10:42:41 PM »

The moral of the story is that if you don't want anyone to know, don't tell anyone.  ANYONE.

It's not just about WHO you tell, but WHEN you tell them.

My advice is this - if you really want to tell people, wait until after your procedure when you can look them straight in the eye and tell them... If you tell them before, you're going to give yourself enormous stress and undermine your confidence during your LL.

Deal with the stress afterwards, not before Wink

Growing
LL Veteran
MMT Adviser

Credibility 175

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 11:17:32 PM »

It's not just about WHO you tell, but WHEN you tell them.

My advice is this - if you really want to tell people, wait until after your procedure when you can look them straight in the eye and tell them... If you tell them before, you're going to give yourself enormous stress and undermine your confidence during your LL.

Deal with the stress afterwards, not before Wink

Good advice for sure.

I just talked to each and every person, discussing my concerns and reasons in full and am comfortable that this issue is final.

Tuesday can't seem to come soon enough.  Even when I'm in Paris. 

+ 7.7 cm.
Pursuer
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2009, 11:06:40 AM »

It's kind of hard not telling anyone if you seek moral support and understanding. The problem with trust is that unless you explicitly say and emphasize that you will hate them until the rest of their lives people will extend your secret to people they trust. What's the harm, right?

For this very reason it's many times a lot easier and more satisfying to speak to a complete stranger.

Wait until after your procedure when you can look them straight in the eye and tell them...
Agreed, even if it meant that you had to sit down to be on the same eye level Wink
Growing
LL Veteran
MMT Adviser

Credibility 175

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009, 04:19:34 PM »

I'm back.  And I'm taller already.

So my operation went perfectly.  I have very straight legs with very thick bone canals.  This allowed Dr. Betz to not only use a 13 mm rod, but also give me an initial distraction of 9 mm. 

Now, I've been in quite a bit of pain post-op... and for a silly reason.  Being that there is a language barrier (German and English), it was not clear to me that I had Tramadol as well as other powerful pain relievers at my disposal.  I stayed up all last night shaking and crying.  My roommate, Greekster (whom many of you may know) felt so terrible for me.  He has been amazingly supportive and is quite a trooper himself.  He hasn't touched any morphene or tramadol or anything.  He sleeps fine and is always in a good mood.

I'll be going all the way, guys.  10.9 cm on my femurs.  Of course, my proportions won't be perfect but I do not care.

One final note: I love Dr. Betz.  He is such an amazing guy.  Very caring, very passionate.  He wants you to succeed.  Yesterday he took an hour out of his day to do physical therapy with me.  We walked on crutches for about 30 minutes and at one point my legs stiffened up and I couldn't walk anymore.  Dr. Betz picked me up and carried me to my bed.  Literally.

OK.  That's it for now.  I will certainly have more updates to come.

+ 7.7 cm.
MMTA
Former Site Admin
Administrator
MMT Expert

Credibility 1036

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 08:00:35 PM »

Well done on joining a small (but rapidly increasing!) club of people who have had their legs broken to become taller - looking forward to hearing how it goes for you Smiley

Ocean
Certified Member
MMT Member

Credibility 21

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2009, 08:55:48 PM »

Hi Growing

Great to hear that everything went well with your operation, hope things keeps going that way. I will be following your diary.
Growing
LL Veteran
MMT Adviser

Credibility 175

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2009, 12:38:44 AM »

Hey guys... it's 1:36 AM and let me tell you... the sleeplessness associated with LL... it's real.  This ain't fun.  This makes the third consecutive night that I'm lying in my bed uncomfortably, hoping.... praying that I'll sleep.  It ain't gonna happen.

And this catheter.... this also sucks!

+ 7.7 cm.
Mad Max
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2009, 04:59:19 AM »

I can really sympathize with the insomnia. The first few days after having spinal surgery I only got 1 or 2 hours sleep per night.
Yeah, any guy who's had one knows how much catheters suck. It's one of those details the doctors never seem to tell you about in advance.
I was so out of it...took about a day before I realized it was there.
Still, it was nothing compared to the side effects from morphine.
Growing
LL Veteran
MMT Adviser

Credibility 175

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2009, 07:29:39 AM »

Good morning, everyone.

I got maybe an hour of sleep last night.  I pulled the cutest German nurse I could find in to my room and flirted with her for a good 2 hours using freetranslation.com.  It was actually quite fun.

I had a not so fun surprise when my nurse looked at me this morning and said, "Your catheter... no more."  3 minutes later, she pulled it out.  OH MY GOD.  Not that it was overly painful.  It was just very, VERY uncomfortable... and you feel it for about 5-10 minutes.  But wow am I happy that it's no longer in.  The downside is that now I am forced to get up every time I need to piss, and considering the amount of water Betz wants me drinking, I'll be moving around quite a bit.  Of course, this has its advantages as movement is beneficial with the Albizzia... it's just a mental thing.  Also... not to to get gross... but I actually feel like I need to sh*t.  This will be the first time in 4 days.  I'm excited LOL

Greekster is still doing well and sends his well wishes to everyone.

+ 7.7 cm.
The_Rock
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 109

"Just give me the green light"

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2009, 09:12:32 AM »

Hey 168,

I know we have not met, but I have been thinking about u since u have been here. Initially I didn't want to meet u because I figured out that u live pretty close to my city back home. I thought I was being too childish about it and since I'm sure ur keeping ur LL a secret and so am I we shouldn't have a problem meeting each other. I am planning to drive to the hospital today to visit u and the other two patients staying at the hospital. Also I will bring the swedish girl with me thats been staying at Elka's with me. Well I'm glad to see that ur doing better and I am looking forward to meeting u later today.

Regards,

The Rock

The_Rock
6ix Side
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 132

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2009, 11:24:20 AM »

GROWING!!

Bro, I didn't know you started a diary!  And congrats on your successful surgery and initial distraction.. fantastic gain my friend Smiley and 13mm nail?   Weightbearing is gonna be very easy for you with such a thick and dense device, but still be cautious.. use your crutches as much as possible.  I've heard a few stories of even 13mm nails bending when people are jumping the gun, dropping the crutches before consolidation. 

So the sleepless night are getting to you eh?  If you want one fantastic night of sleep, ask the nurses for a sleeping pill that looks like a small white egg, it's a gel capsule (make sure they don't give you the black one, it's too weak) and take one muscle relaxer and a pain killer with it.  I remember thinking I wasn't ever gonna get a good night's rest and they finally brought out the big guns with this pill.  I had my hands behind my head staring at the celing in disbelief, and before I knew it, i woke up almost 5 hours later in the same position!  My arms were so tired because I didn't move a muscle, it just knocked my ass out!  I bet I could have slept longer but I had to take a leak so that was what woke me up not the pain..

And if you don't have one already, get a bottle to piss in.  It's so much easier not having to get up for number 1.. trust me you'll get enough movement when you have to shower, physio, number 2, etc.  With the amount of liquid they get into you it just doesn't make sense to get up every hour to piss. 

So I'm looking forward to seeing you bro!  I'll be passing by the hospital on Monday with the Rock, so stay strong and get that pill from those nurses, translate it exactly if you have to.. don't settle for anything except the little white egg.

Good luck bro and sleep well!
cheers,
t.dot

+20.5cm, now standing at 179.5cm & lovin every minute of it..
Growing
LL Veteran
MMT Adviser

Credibility 175

« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2009, 02:47:30 PM »

Well done on joining a small (but rapidly increasing!) club of people who have had their legs broken to become taller - looking forward to hearing how it goes for you Smiley

Hey MMT, I know you are considering lengthening your femurs.  I am, of course, biased but if you meet Dr. Betz, you will be sold.  He is exactly the German scientist/engineer type that you'd want to perform surgery on you.  His attention to detail is beyond comparison.  Better still, he does not transfer this stress on to you.  He sits you down and says, "OK.  This is what I think..." and he lets you have it.  He loves helping people and gives and gives and gives.  His time and energy is constant.  I love the guy.  And then there's his personal assistants... I love them, too.  They're both former patients.  Young guys.  And they are amazingly supportive too.

Just my $.02 Smiley  Hope you are well.

+ 7.7 cm.
Growing
LL Veteran
MMT Adviser

Credibility 175

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2009, 02:49:06 PM »

Hi Growing

Great to hear that everything went well with your operation, hope things keeps going that way. I will be following your diary.

Hey Ocean,

I appreciate it.  I really want to reiterate how painful the immediate post-op was for me.  I was shaking and sobbing uncontrollably the first couple nights.  I had to get my dad to drive back to Lebach to stretch me out.  But everything is on track now.  I have the proper meds and am doing MUUUUUCH better.

Hope you stick around!

+ 7.7 cm.
Growing
LL Veteran
MMT Adviser

Credibility 175

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2009, 02:53:46 PM »

I can really sympathize with the insomnia. The first few days after having spinal surgery I only got 1 or 2 hours sleep per night.
Yeah, any guy who's had one knows how much catheters suck. It's one of those details the doctors never seem to tell you about in advance.
I was so out of it...took about a day before I realized it was there.
Still, it was nothing compared to the side effects from morphine.

Hey Max,

There's nothing worse than not being able to sleep through discomfort.  Period.  And, oh man... the side effects of morphine... wow.  They don't justify its use.  I get so drugged out I can't carry any level of communication.  Then there's the dizziness and cold-sweats.... yikes.

+ 7.7 cm.
Growing
LL Veteran
MMT Adviser

Credibility 175

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2009, 02:56:10 PM »

Hey 168,

I know we have not met, but I have been thinking about u since u have been here. Initially I didn't want to meet u because I figured out that u live pretty close to my city back home. I thought I was being too childish about it and since I'm sure ur keeping ur LL a secret and so am I we shouldn't have a problem meeting each other. I am planning to drive to the hospital today to visit u and the other two patients staying at the hospital. Also I will bring the swedish girl with me thats been staying at Elka's with me. Well I'm glad to see that ur doing better and I am looking forward to meeting u later today.

Regards,

The Rock

Hey Rock,

I really look forward to meeting you.  I've heard so much about you (and the other patients) that I feel like I already know you.  Betz and the boys say you are a warrior.  I want to hear all about it, man. 

PS- how cute is "L"?  Man, I love talking to her.  She's so charismatic and beautiful. 

+ 7.7 cm.
Growing
LL Veteran
MMT Adviser

Credibility 175

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2009, 03:01:36 PM »

GROWING!!

Bro, I didn't know you started a diary!  And congrats on your successful surgery and initial distraction.. fantastic gain my friend Smiley and 13mm nail?   Weightbearing is gonna be very easy for you with such a thick and dense device, but still be cautious.. use your crutches as much as possible.  I've heard a few stories of even 13mm nails bending when people are jumping the gun, dropping the crutches before consolidation. 

So the sleepless night are getting to you eh?  If you want one fantastic night of sleep, ask the nurses for a sleeping pill that looks like a small white egg, it's a gel capsule (make sure they don't give you the black one, it's too weak) and take one muscle relaxer and a pain killer with it.  I remember thinking I wasn't ever gonna get a good night's rest and they finally brought out the big guns with this pill.  I had my hands behind my head staring at the celing in disbelief, and before I knew it, i woke up almost 5 hours later in the same position!  My arms were so tired because I didn't move a muscle, it just knocked my ass out!  I bet I could have slept longer but I had to take a leak so that was what woke me up not the pain..

And if you don't have one already, get a bottle to piss in.  It's so much easier not having to get up for number 1.. trust me you'll get enough movement when you have to shower, physio, number 2, etc.  With the amount of liquid they get into you it just doesn't make sense to get up every hour to piss. 

So I'm looking forward to seeing you bro!  I'll be passing by the hospital on Monday with the Rock, so stay strong and get that pill from those nurses, translate it exactly if you have to.. don't settle for anything except the little white egg.

Good luck bro and sleep well!
cheers,
t.dot

Hey t.dot,

Now this is the veteran's savvy that I need!  I seriously lay in bed staring at the ceiling.  I finally have the vodafone internet connection, but distraction does not compare to sleep.  I just talked to the nurses (I'll refrain from using names) about the pill you mentioned and they knew about it and laughed.  I'm excited about the prospect of getting 5 hours of sleep.  How crazy is that??

PS- "D" is doing very well.  She's walking beautifully on her crutches and is in good spirits.  I haven't had much of an opportunity to see her as I've been drugged out of my mind.  But when I do see her she's always doing well and telling me I'll be OK.

I look forward to seeing you on Monday, man.  It'll be a breath of fresh air in this hospital!

+ 7.7 cm.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 20   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Make Me Taller! The world's number one elective leg lengthening site! Come here for information about LL, things to make you taller, how to get taller permanently, Ilizarov, Betzbone, Guichet Nail, PRECICE, height growth and other height related issues. This is the number one leg lengthening forum for height seekers and people trying to become taller. It was created and run by people who have actually done leg lengthening surgery (LL).

As a community site, MMT forum thrives on people's contributions, so please feel free to share your make me taller questions, videos, photos and experiences here in this leg lengthening forum. Make me taller is open to all, but please read the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) before posting as this will answer nearly all of your questions about getting taller through surgery. Please read our leg lengthening diaries too! We hope that you find this forum useful. Cheers, SysOp.