MMT Community
January 21, 2019, 02:23:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Words of wisdom from MMTA:
"Leg Lengthening is hard-work and shouldn't be considered by the faint-hearted. Physical and mental strength are needed in great measure!"

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Codename 12 - External Tibias - Dr. Xia - 2007 - Diary In Beijing  (Read 61661 times)
« on: February 22, 2007, 09:12:15 PM »

Hello everyone. I'll call myself "12" on this board because that is my bed number here at the hospital.

General Info:

Original Height: 5 Feet 6.54 Inches
Desired Height: 5 Feet 9.23 Inches

Doctors: Professor Xia & Dr. Li

Operation Date: February 2, 2007

Originally From: USA
Sex: Male

I have the good fortune to know MysteryMan. He is a cool easy going guy that motivates me to hold strong to my goal and has been very gracious to answer all the questions I've thrown his way.

I didn't get a chance to meet MMT. He had left a few weeks before I arrived. Everyone tells me that he was a powerhouse of charm and optimism and took this whole procedure with dignity and a laser focus on his goal. I would have loved to have some of that mojo rub off on me, but for now his diary will suffice.

MY INTENTION FOR THIS DIARY: I promise my diary will have a different flavor than the rest. To the best of my ability I will answer technical questions directed my way, but my main focus will be on the "Inner Game" of going through this procedure. The reason being is that a few days ago I came to a fork in the road where I decided if I were to make it all the way to my goal a major overhaul (if you will) would have to take place in my mindset. Also I might add a broader picture of my experience by including emails sent back home and random off topic thoughts. If you are looking for the quickest distilled info on LL and find the style of my posts fustrating I invite you to keep up with the other diaries on this board.

Having said all that, I only wish to encourage you if this is your dream. At the same time I will be more graphic about the actual conditions here and challenges you must face to succeed.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 12:38:50 PM by mysteryman » Logged
KC
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 10:44:11 PM »

Hey 12,

I am looking forward to reading your diary, and seeing how you progress over the next few months. After that I will have the opportunity to see it with my own eyes because I am scheduled to be at the Institute on April 27 and will most likely be undergoing the surgery on the following Monday.

I hope everything is great on your front and if you have any words of wisdom, and the time to send them over, please feel free to do so.

Good luck!!

KC
MMTA
Former Site Admin
Administrator
MMT Expert

Credibility 1036

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2007, 01:29:13 AM »

C12,

Welcome to our community, and good luck with your treatment.

I am glad that everyone in Beijing hasn't forgotten me yet Smiley

Keep your chin up - I can't wait to read your diary!

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2007, 03:40:00 PM »

Afternoon:
My friend and I had our haircut today, by two cool guys that you can tell live for everything fashion. They came here to my room to do it. They were very professional and did great jobs. The charge for a cut is 20rmb. My friend and I decided we were going to give them 30rmb a peice, but then they stormed out of the room afterward waving goodbye as I had my hand in the air with 100rmb note. I was saying, "Wait! We have to pay you now." but they just left. We later found out that one of the two guys thought my friend didn't like his cut so they refused to take our money. The difference is between the capitalist culture of America and here which is more personal honor based. I would have taken the money!

Something that I've known for a long time is that the way you look affects the way you feel and vice versa. Most guys have the thought of growing out their hair to see for the first time how it would look here. I've always done the clean cut thing and since I haven't taken a formal shower in 20 days it's the only thing in my mind that makes sense.

Evening:
Tonight was a success! I was able to use the walker to get in and out of the bathroom and get on and off the toilet by myself. Sounds like a small feat, doesn't it? Well going to the bathroom was such an early challenge for me that I had unconsciously decided to go about the days holding it in for as long as possible. Soon after the operation the method of transportation to the bathroom would be 1 or 2 maids holding your legs up and pushing you in a standard office chair till you are next to the toilet, then when you shimmy over on the toilet they'd put your legs on the office chair (your supposed to keep them straight at the beginning). On top of this being a generally difficult and unpleasant thing for the maids to do they also had to get all five of the office chair's wheels over a half inch step at the doorway of bathroom.

If you can't get the visual of all this that's ok, just know that being able to evacuate your bowels in a dignified and independent way is a major milestone here. As I was passing by the bathroom mirror to exit I saw my body with my shirt off. I have lost at least 15 pounds since I've been here. I believe my body is trying to shed off excess weight to get around with more ease.   

When I came out of the bathroom I heard the guys in the hallway singing Backstreet Boys, "I Want It That Way". I opened my door and sang, "I never want to here you say, I want it that way." It felt so good to sing along with everyone that I got into my wheelchair and headed out into the hallway to buddy it up.

At nighttime here everyone who is looking for some evening entertainment comes out in their wheelchairs to hang out in the hallway or someone's room. People will hang out until around 10:00ish, go back to their rooms and take Tremadol (the common nightly pain suppressor), then stay up for another few hours till it kicks in. I took mine about an hour ago and I'm starting to feel really chilled out.

Aside from keeping my mindset strong via daily affirmations, i.e, "Every day and in every way I'm feeling stronger and stronger!" and visualizations I've also decide to watch the DVD The Secret as often as possible. If you are coming here to do this operation I would implore you whole-heartedly to have a copy available (check it out at http://www.thesecret.tv). It's easy to slip into self-defeating mind patterns even in daily life, but here slipping into the victim role is just a few steps backwards for newbies like me. Negative stuff does not aid the healing process (there is a real life case study of that here which I'll tell you about in later posts).

I have to remind myself, "I choose to do this, I really am getting better as the days go on and man...I'm going to look so awesome in my Diesel jeans back home". I never had any trouble with the ladies back home, but now it's going to be a free for all. Maybe I'll get a New York apartment with a red smoking jacket and call myself "The Continental". By the way, I make very specific American culture references from time to time (like in that last sentence) and if you pick up on them you definitely get cool points.  Wink

Luv,
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2007, 03:51:40 PM »

Hey 12,

I am looking forward to reading your diary, and seeing how you progress over the next few months. After that I will have the opportunity to see it with my own eyes because I am scheduled to be at the Institute on April 27 and will most likely be undergoing the surgery on the following Monday.

I hope everything is great on your front and if you have any words of wisdom, and the time to send them over, please feel free to do so.

Good luck!!

KC

Awesome man. I'll be here and right off the bat you'll know you have a supportive friend in me.

Oh and MMT, big thanks goes out to you for creating this board. 
« Last Edit: February 24, 2007, 03:56:26 PM by 12 » Logged
Isabelle
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 262

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2007, 12:03:53 PM »

I?m really amazed 12 cos I got hold of that Secret dvd about 3 weeks ago and planned on taking it with me to China too!!! It may not be everyone?s cup of tea, my partner thinks it?s a load of rubbish but living with me he gets used to this kind of thing.

I really am dreading the whole toilet and showering thing BIG time because a more private person there never was than me!! I?ll be right at home with all the bed bugging though since it?s my favourite past time. Haven?t got a surgery date yet but look forward to meeting you and talking about Secrets and things Wink 
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2007, 03:20:54 PM »

Something strange seems to be happening...let me explain. I've had the dream/goal/obsessive idea for about 3 years now to be taller. I would wear special ordered shoes, imported from china Wink, that would give me a 3.5 inch lift. Now, accomplishing challenges had never been a major issue for me, because I know the name of the game - which is see the thing you want, find how to do/get it...then do/get it. People make it more complicated than that because of a little thing called psycho-babble (the noise of doubt in the mind). Don't get me wrong if you are planning to undertake this goal of LL it's totally understandable, some would say advisable, to have hesitations or conflicting opinions about it.

What seems strange is the influx of English speaking patients this year to this hospital. I think it's at least partly because of this website. When I first came here I thought there would be maybe 1 English speaking patient. I was surprised to see 6 people I could communicate with in my native tongue. Today a girl came from London, tomorrow a girl will come from Texas, this next month a guy's coming from the states....the list of people who have made the arrangements and will actually be here soon is...maybe an interesting statement about heightism.

Everyone is going to ask, "Why?". Taller, shorter people alike will ask. When I first got here I had a stock answer that I passed out like business cards, but to my mind it sounded as authentic as, "blah...all my life, blah, blah, blah". Why is it sometimes hard to give an easy answer.

In my mind's eye I see myself being taller.  Now I'm taking the steps to get there.

Are there layers of physiological, interconnected, mumbo-jumbo reasons for why I see myself taller. Sure. Can I spend months unraveling that big ball of webby dendrites to figure out the most scientific reason of why this is so. Maybe, but what if I figure out that it comes out to be my simple answer...i.e. "In my mind's eye..."

Where or when should you stop going for something you desire whole-heartedly? I can hear the choir of people back home answering, "this would be it!"

"But what about the track record of this hospital? But what about the fact that they've done a thousand plus cases before me? But what about the world renowned reputation of Dr. Xia and his hand picked selection of other doctors? But what about after the months go by and I'm back at my house 3 to 3.5 inches taller (without lifts!)"

On another note:
This diary is in real-time. Which is a pretty interesting concept because my buds here can log on and hear back what happened today or a few days ago. Luckily enough I could only imagine saying positive things about this great group. Just like tonight, Mystery Man stayed around to talk to me in the evening. Just to give you a context of where we started in the conversation we were talking about...BZZZ, if you said LL...no women! Women, women, women!

Later on we were talking about compassion for others which struck a cord in me. Without getting into details I'll just say the conversation was deep.

There will be so many things I'll take away from here far beyond a few inches.

Luv,
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 03:43:51 PM by 12 » Logged
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2007, 03:36:41 PM »

I?m really amazed 12 cos I got hold of that Secret dvd about 3 weeks ago and planned on taking it with me to China too!!! It may not be everyone?s cup of tea, my partner thinks it?s a load of rubbish but living with me he gets used to this kind of thing.

I really am dreading the whole toilet and showering thing BIG time because a more private person there never was than me!! I?ll be right at home with all the bed bugging though since it?s my favourite past time. Haven?t got a surgery date yet but look forward to meeting you and talking about Secrets and things Wink 

Likewise.

There are funny things in life that operate beyond, or better said prior to, the level of personal opinion. I believe the concept behind "The Secret" to be self-evident.

Look at me. Chatting it up about a topic we should save for here.

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2007, 01:59:32 PM »

No thoughts for the day. My awesome friend "A" is going to buy and ship me a few things from the states. They are (copied below from email):

General Items:
2 big bottles of Purell Instant Hand Sanitizer with Aloe
3 pairs of baggy basketball shorts waist size 32 (any brand or style, but in dark colors)
Raid with GermFighter Ant & Roach Killer http://www.killsbugsdead.com/fop_ark_germ.asp
Raid Double Control Small Roach Baits Plus Egg Stoppers http://www.killsbugsdead.com/fop_dc_srb_p_es.asp
One bag of tennis shoe socks (the short socks)
Frebreeze Noticeables Air fresheners with 3 refills (all different scents)
Gillette Mach3 Turbo Disposable razors with 1 packet of 8 head refills
Earplugs (the soft squishy kind that you squeeze and then it plumps up in the ear canal [is it just me or was that last sentence kind of hot]) I don't know what quantities they come in, but a pair of 6 should be fine.

From GNC:
Iovate Health Sciences Sleep MD
Melatonin
GNC Men's Mega Men? Multivitamin 90 Capsules
Nature's Fingerprint? St. John's Wort 200 Capsules

*Where not mentioned I want the largest size/quantity available

Just wanted to share a list of the things I value at the moment.

Luv,
stewie_griffin
LL Veteran
MMT Adviser

Credibility 305

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2007, 09:03:38 PM »

Hey 12, I have to appologize, even though this site is setup as my home page on my computer, I somehow missed your posts over last couple days. Just ended up reading it now. Not sure if you know but I'll be at the hospital on March 22, so its good to hear about all these folks from North America who are already there. Also thanks for that list man. I already have a list of my own but I did steal a few extra things from yours to add on  Wink

Looking forward to finding number 12

Peace
Sg

Went from 163cm (5'4) to 171cm (5'7) in Beijing!
MMTA
Former Site Admin
Administrator
MMT Expert

Credibility 1036

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2007, 11:00:31 PM »

C12,

You've got a good list of additions there.

One thing I would recommend is lots of chocolate - it helped me to feel happy and to sleep Smiley
« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 11:23:07 PM by MMT Admin » Logged

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2007, 11:02:36 PM »

Hey 12, I have to appologize, even though this site is setup as my home page on my computer, I somehow missed your posts over last couple days. Just ended up reading it now. Not sure if you know but I'll be at the hospital on March 22, so its good to hear about all these folks from North America who are already there. Also thanks for that list man. I already have a list of my own but I did steal a few extra things from yours to add on  Wink

Looking forward to finding number 12

Peace
Sg

I've heard about your arrival. We are all looking forward it. Another buddy to hang out with as we all become taller studs. Here everyone is very close and cool. Youtube.com and DVDs can only go so far... the human interaction aspect I think is key. March is also going to be a pretty awesome month in general. We have a b-day coming up for 1 person, my best friend from the states will come and stay with me for a week and although we'll miss our homie Mysteryman we will be happy to celebrate the accomplishment of his goal. He'll be heading back home in mid March. LL Veterans give you a great sense that this is totally doable.

See you soon,
daany1
MMT Member

Credibility 2

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2007, 03:54:04 AM »

hey 12
im looking foward to read your diary in the future,what part of usa are you from? and how long have you planned this trip
dont forget pictures
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2007, 03:33:23 PM »

Hey Daany1,
I'm from the east coast.

I've been planning this out now for 1 1/2 years. For about 3 years I've been thinking about my height in general. Now I'm here and soon I'll be back home with this being a non-issue for me. It's not hard for me to imagine the benefits of 3 extra inches as I've been wearing special made shoes for a while now. I get comments all the time that I look stronger, healthier etc when I wear them.

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2007, 04:18:41 PM »

PICS, PICS, PICS...and VIDEO!

I'm going to hook everyone up on this board in mid-March. Your buddy 12 is going to make a series of videos of the facility here so you can take a virtual tour of the place.
  • The Hallway
  • The Courtyard
  • The Gym
  • The Bedrooms
  • The Bathrooms

Also I'm going to have my friend do a voice narrative of some key aspects of this place that will provide a crystal clear idea of life here.

My Intention For This Project
Is two fold:
  • To provide complete clarity so the superficial aspects of this place will not be a hangup for all who are set in coming here.
  • Provide a documented account of this hospital at this time.

I believe this hospital is top notch and they are trying hard to make it more foreign-friendly, but the cosmetic appeal is the last thing lagging. They, understandably so, place more value in quality of service than appearance. I believe we can have both and create a more peaceful environment for everyone here.

MM was the one who institutionalized an awesome Western menu, so you can thank him for that. Our chef here rocks!

I am trying to take this place to the next level. I want all the rooms painted a light tan color (a warm look is so much better that flat white), I want 1 painting on each wall of a relaxing place (Tuscany would be it for me) and I definitely want the bathrooms brought up to par. I basically want a fresh look for this place. I view myself going through this procedure not only as an isolated experience with a specific goal, but as a trail blazer for my future LL homies (men & women) that will come here.

Luv,
stewie_griffin
LL Veteran
MMT Adviser

Credibility 305

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2007, 05:54:30 PM »

I am trying to take this place to the next level. I want all the rooms painted a light tan color (a warm look is so much better that flat white), I want 1 painting on each wall of a relaxing place (Tuscany would be it for me) and I definitely want the bathrooms brought up to par. I basically want a fresh look for this place. I view myself going through this procedure not only as an isolated experience with a specific goal, but as a trail blazer for my future LL homies (men & women) that will come here.

Luv,

...and do something about the bugs dude!! Embarrassed

Went from 163cm (5'4) to 171cm (5'7) in Beijing!
Isabelle
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 262

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2007, 02:31:40 AM »

I remember huge cockies and geckos scurrying about in other parts of Asia. It may have something to do with the humidity in the summers but they seem to breed like wildfire there.

Hey 12, were the shorts you took with you a little too tight for the frames or did you take over too much winter wear? I saw it can get fairly hot in the summer time in Beijing so hopefully they have air conditioning.

The video is a great idea. I?ll back you up on making the toilet and showering facilities more disabled friendly. I happen to be into white walls but tan?s fine by me Wink Smiley     
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2007, 04:54:13 AM »

I remember huge cockies and geckos scurrying about in other parts of Asia. It may have something to do with the humidity in the summers but they seem to breed like wildfire there.

Haven't seen a gecko yet. Surprisingly enough this huge can of Raid took care of most of the problems with roaches here. It's advertised to keep killing roaches up to 4 weeks. Now all I see in the room are little ant sized roaches which are probably the residual eggs left from older generations. No worries though. As you've seen on my shopping list I've got something coming up for them soon.

Hey 12, were the shorts you took with you a little too tight for the frames or did you take over too much winter wear? I saw it can get fairly hot in the summer time in Beijing so hopefully they have air conditioning.

I basically packed all wrong. I was only thinking of the cold so I brought a lot of winter gear that I haven't even used yet. I brought one pair of shorts and yes they were too tight to easily slide up and down the frames.

See the best thing here to wear are these special made pants that are unzippable from the waist all the way down to the ankles. So you can take them on and off without getting out of bed. You can also get quick access to your pin sites for cleaning and to your dial for stretching. I didn't have the benefit of knowing about this site before my operation, but if I could have gone back and repacked I would have focused on:

• Plenty of T-shirts, nothing fancy just comfortable
  • Baggy Basketball Shorts
  • Boxers with fly button for no accidental manhood outbreaks
  • tennis socks

I love the heat. I'm much looking forward to it heating up here so I can go out to the courtyard and bask in the sun. I also heard from Dr. Mar that the sun exposure is good for the pin sites.

The video is a great idea. I?ll back you up on making the toilet and showering facilities more disabled friendly. I happen to be into white walls but tan?s fine by me Wink Smiley

After my initial shock experience of the bathroom I realized the bathroom here is only used for two things: 1. Taking a poop 2.Taking a modified shower

That's it! I don't wash my face, clean my hands, shave, brush my teeth in there. All those things are brought to your bed by the maids. So I'm even more relaxed about my view of the bathroom, but once again...if they can do better I believe they should. 

And about making the bathroom more friendly for disabled people that would be totally cool, but it's only need for the first few weeks after your operation. Now I stand up on my walker go to the toilet and get out of there with no problems. 

jack0life
Handsome Mod
LL Hero
MMT Expert

Credibility 315

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2007, 10:01:45 PM »

Hey Daany1,
I'm from the east coast.

I've been planning this out now for 1 1/2 years. For about 3 years I've been thinking about my height in general. Now I'm here and soon I'll be back home with this being a non-issue for me. It's not hard for me to imagine the benefits of 3 extra inches as I've been wearing special made shoes for a while now. I get comments all the time that I look stronger, healthier etc when I wear them.

If you really want to freak your friends out, you keep wearing the lifts when you get back.
6 inches taller Smiley

I wear 2 inch lifts now when I work and go out and if I were to keep wearing them after gaining 3 inches, I would never be able to face anyone without hearing "Man you are alot taller".

Every cm was TORTURE.
Went from 158cm to 166cm in Beijing !!
Isabelle
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 262

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2007, 01:22:17 AM »

I hope I didn?t put anyone off by the bugs earlier, they?re actually beneficial in warm tropical habitats and have a positive impact on their environment as recyclers I read. I think Beijing tends to have fairly humid showery summers too.

p.s-  I had to get off rather urgently above. Things seem pretty nicely set up there considering and I guess because of the maids and great service they understandably wouldn?t feel the need for changing anything Smiley 
« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 05:08:18 AM by Isabelle » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Make Me Taller! The world's number one elective leg lengthening site! Come here for information about LL, things to make you taller, how to get taller permanently, Ilizarov, Betzbone, Guichet Nail, PRECICE, height growth and other height related issues. This is the number one leg lengthening forum for height seekers and people trying to become taller. It was created and run by people who have actually done leg lengthening surgery (LL).

As a community site, MMT forum thrives on people's contributions, so please feel free to share your make me taller questions, videos, photos and experiences here in this leg lengthening forum. Make me taller is open to all, but please read the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) before posting as this will answer nearly all of your questions about getting taller through surgery. Please read our leg lengthening diaries too! We hope that you find this forum useful. Cheers, SysOp.