MMT Community
January 21, 2019, 01:21:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Leg Lengthening is NOT an option for people suffering from depression.
LL is not appropriate for people with a history of depression or mental illness - if you're on antidepressants, close your browser now - this site is not for you. Sorry! Sad

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 17   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stewie Griffin - External Tibias - Dr. Xia - 2007 - My Quest in Beijing  (Read 89712 times)
stewie_griffin
LL Veteran
MMT Adviser

Credibility 305

« on: March 01, 2007, 06:05:29 PM »

March 1, 2007

It's the crunch month and about time I start my own diary to keep everyone up to date with the initial preparations and events leading up to the day I go under surgery and the recovery process that'll follow.

Prologue

I'd like to begin with a brief history of myself and why I have decided to do LL.
I will try to keep this short and not go into too many details about the WHY due to the fact that the reason everyone seeks LL is pretty much the same, i.e. we just feel too short.

Ever since I was a child, I noticed myself to always be the smallest in my class and as I grew older, it sort of stuck by me and I always felt too small in all aspects of life. Until I was about 23, I always thought that one day I'd magically grow taller and all my problems will be gone. Well that day never came and the only thing that grew was the number of shoe lifts in my shoes. Today I am the same height as I was when I was 15. I have tried everything from stretching, to pills and potions to gain a few inches but all failed.

Although shoe lifts are great to make yourself appear taller, they have their disadvantages, both physical and psychological. They are very uncomfortable to your feet and, in my case, have sort of started disfiguring my little toes and have made it hard to stand up for extended period of time. That might be due to the fact, I stuff 3 lifts in my leather zip-up shoes which I wear year round. I've been buying the same brand and style of shoes for last 4 years. Another disadvantage of wearing lifts is that it makes you feel "tall" in your mind when you're really not. For example, during a regular day I go about my business and kind of forget that I'm wearing lifts. It is when I take off my shoes, I suddenly feel that I have shrunk. It's really weird when the people who saw you during the day see you at night and everyone has the same confused look on their faces everytime. Something very interesting happened to me last year when I was on vacation in Bahamas with some friends. It was night time and we were all hangin out at the beach. We met up with some other people from the same city back home. I was again, the shortest in the crowd and felt uncomfortable. But I soon shrugged it off thinking that everyone's drunk and noone really cares. Next day when I had my regular TALL boots on, one of the guys who we met the night before, came up to me and re-introduced himself. His own words, "Man when I saw you last night I thought you were really short but that might just've been due to the fact your feet were dug into the sand." Little did he know that I was STILL the same height, just thanks to my magic shoes, I appeared tall  Cheesy

But yes, that day I felt like a complete ass and continued researching on different ways to become naturally tall until the day I saw this TV programme about a guy who got LL surgery in U.S. Suddenly I saw a ray of hope and thats when I hit Google. Did extensive research and narrowed my options down to Singapore, Thailand or Beijing. I contacted the doctor in Singapore but his pricing was too high. Thailand seemed ok but I always had this sort of an uneasy feeling about it in my gut. Then I found this site, and rest is history. Highly inspired and loaded with the detailed information available on this site I went ahead and contacted the hospital and decided to have this procedure in Beijing.

Current height: 163 cm
Height goal: 171 cm
Arrival in Beijing: March 22, 2007
Projected date of surgery: March 26, 2007

My "name" is Stewie and this is my story.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2007, 02:41:12 PM by stewie_griffin » Logged

Went from 163cm (5'4) to 171cm (5'7) in Beijing!
MMTA
Former Site Admin
Administrator
MMT Expert

Credibility 1036

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 07:41:50 PM »

Stewie,

Good luck! It sounds like you are well prepared, and I'm sure that you are going to fit in well with the other international patients.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you! Smiley

jack0life
Handsome Mod
LL Hero
MMT Expert

Credibility 315

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 10:08:13 PM »

Love to hear about your adventure soon.

I have my own story about wearing lifts but I'll wait until when I start my diary.
I plan on going to Beijing in May/June.
BTW, what price did you get ? $20K or something else ??
I'm so obsess with LL now that it doesn't matter what the price is.
The price just dictate when I will do it.

Every cm was TORTURE.
Went from 158cm to 166cm in Beijing !!
stewie_griffin
LL Veteran
MMT Adviser

Credibility 305

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2007, 12:05:55 AM »

Stewie,

Good luck! It sounds like you are well prepared, and I'm sure that you are going to fit in well with the other international patients.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you! Smiley

Thanks MMT. I am looking forward to meeting with the people there and also learn a thing or two about the great Chinese culture.

Sg

Love to hear about your adventure soon.

I have my own story about wearing lifts but I'll wait until when I start my diary.
I plan on going to Beijing in May/June.
BTW, what price did you get ? $20K or something else ??
I'm so obsess with LL now that it doesn't matter what the price is.
The price just dictate when I will do it.

Hi jack, I'll be looking forward to your arrival. Maybe you can bring me some chocolate.  Grin

Yes I got $20k but Ronne said that it's only available until June. After that it'll increase.

Sg

stewie_griffin
LL Veteran
MMT Adviser

Credibility 305

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2007, 12:18:19 AM »

Here is a list of items that I will be bringing with me. Thanks to MMT, Codename_12 and others for the tips on what to bring. I'm sure I'll be adding more items to this list as my days come near.

Shopping List

1. Electric shaver/Hand-mirror
2. Toothpaste/Toothbrush/Hair gel etc.
3. Soap/Shampoo/Conditioner
4. Towel
5. Cargo pants with detachable legs
6. Basketball shorts
7. Baggy pants/Jeans/Tops/T-shirts
8. Sneakers/Slippers/Sandals
9. Socks (Tennis and regular), Underwears
10. Prescription glasses
11. Tylenol/Aspirin/Band Aid/Tums/Pain killers/Multi-vitamins
12. Lysol spray/Purell Instant Hand Sanitizer
13. Raid GermFighter Ant & Roach Killer / Raid Double Control Small Roach Baits Plus Egg Stoppers
14. Voltage Converter
15. Surge protector bar (for Asian electric spikes)
16. Rechargeable batteries

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2007, 08:21:16 AM »

Shopping List

1. Electric shaver/Hand-mirror
2. Toothpaste/Toothbrush/Hair gel etc.
3. Soap/Shampoo/Conditioner
4. Towel
5. Cargo pants with detachable legs
6. Basketball shorts
7. Baggy pants/Jeans/Tops/T-shirts
8. Sneakers/Slippers/Sandals
9. Socks (Tennis and regular), Underwears
10. Prescription glasses
11. Tylenol/Aspirin/Band Aid/Tums/Pain killers/Multi-vitamins
12. Lysol spray/Purell Instant Hand Sanitizer
13. Raid GermFighter Ant & Roach Killer / Raid Double Control Small Roach Baits Plus Egg Stoppers
14. Voltage Converter
15. Surge protector bar (for Asian electric spikes)
16. Rechargeable batteries

Sounds pretty solid SG. A bit of interesting news: there is a good chance you'll be my roommate. My best friend will stay in this room till March 18th and when you come on the 22nd I think bed "11" will be all yours. You must have accrued good karma somewhere.

Between your pest control and mine we are seriously going to jack up some insects Wink . They won't return to this room for years to come.  Grin

stewie_griffin
LL Veteran
MMT Adviser

Credibility 305

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2007, 05:55:29 PM »

Those little critters will have to think 10 times over before crossing our perimeter.  Grin

For the first 10 days or so after my arrival I'll be staying in one of the vip rooms that Ronne offered us as I'll have a family member accompanying me and will be staying until after the surgery. Once they're gonna, I'd love to take charge of the 11.

mysteryman
LL Veteran
MMT Adviser

Credibility 535

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2007, 05:58:51 PM »

Best wishes to you Stewie, Stay positive, Stay entertained, and have a good time.

Good Luck!.

MMT Moderator/Photoshop Guru
Leg Lengthening Veteran
Went from 165cm to 175.25cm in Beijing!
stewie_griffin
LL Veteran
MMT Adviser

Credibility 305

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2007, 06:32:06 PM »

Best wishes to you Stewie, Stay positive, Stay entertained, and have a good time.

Good Luck!.

Thanks MM. Keep in touch.  Smiley

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2007, 08:03:29 PM »

Those little critters will have to think 10 times over before crossing our perimeter.  Grin

For the first 10 days or so after my arrival I'll be staying in one of the vip rooms that Ronne offered us as I'll have a family member accompanying me and will be staying until after the surgery. Once they're gonna, I'd love to take charge of the 11.

Clarify this for me. You're saying that you'll arrive, have the operation and stay for about the first week post-surgery in the VIP room with a family member, right?

If that's the case then that's actually pretty darn awesome to hear. Because the only downside about rooming with new patients is that the first week they are hard to be around. Not so much because of themselves, but the nurses and maids check up on you constantly within that first week. Now for me I need a maid maybe twice a day - for my standard morning/evening routine (including Bowjow...Yeh!). On rare occasions I'll call a maid in to handle something for me that would make little sense going through the trouble myself.

Good Luck!.

I would buy a "MysteryMan is My Role Model" T-shirt. Few come tougher than him. I joke with him and say it's because where he's from in the UK boys are tossed onto the streets to fend for themselves at the age of 7. He corrected me and said it's actually age 5. Which to be fair and make fun of America a bit, in America age 5 is now the age when children stop breast feeding.

stewie_griffin
LL Veteran
MMT Adviser

Credibility 305

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2007, 09:01:31 PM »

Clarify this for me. You're saying that you'll arrive, have the operation and stay for about the first week post-surgery in the VIP room with a family member, right?

If that's the case then that's actually pretty darn awesome to hear. Because the only downside about rooming with new patients is that the first week they are hard to be around. Not so much because of themselves, but the nurses and maids check up on you constantly within that first week. Now for me I need a maid maybe twice a day - for my standard morning/evening routine (including Bowjow...Yeh!). On rare occasions I'll call a maid in to handle something for me that would make little sense going through the trouble myself.

Yes that is correct. I'm planning on doing my initial painful screaming and moaning in isolation so I'm not disturbing my roommate.

Sg

Holst
LL Trooper
Lurker

Credibility 27

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2007, 09:01:04 AM »

Stewie,

You sound like a well grounded person. It's impossible to be fully prepared for this life changing experience, but it sounds like you've done a good job of getting ready. I look forward to meeting you soon!
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2007, 04:19:49 PM »

Yes that is correct. I'm planning on doing my initial painful screaming and moaning in isolation so I'm not disturbing my roommate.

You want to hear something interesting. Since I was so drugged up the first few days I had the most relaxing and deepest sleep in my life. No joke, I was swimming in and out of dreams between the intervals of maids and nurses coming into my room to switch my pillow from one side to the other and make sure my drip was refilled.

One night I had a dream that was so good that I woke up with tears of joy. The dream was like as if I'd just won the Olympic metal after training for years for that one event. Then when I opened my eyes and assimilated back into my environment I was like  Undecided . Oh well I'm here to take care of some business so I can live my fantasy not the other way around.

One Thing. Instead of, or in addition to the roach stuff you're buying please pick up a can(s) of whole room fumigators. I heard those work the best and the effects last for a solid month.

You're right around the corner brother. Time to kick your height inadequacies in the butt!

It's almost a common experience that the first month is mentally challenging because of the initial shock of everything BUT time flies by quickly. Even the worst cases look back on the first month and say wow that went by pretty fast. I don't know why that is. I'm just happy for it.

I didn't start to feel like myself until around the 25th day or so. Prior to that I was being doubtful and sometimes regretful of my situation. I even wrote back to close friends at home things that made them get awfully worried. So much so that I had one friend scrambling around to send me my shopping list items and another one is coming next month to my "rescue"  Wink She's going to miss her Spring Break to console me at a Chinese Hospital. Now that it's March and I have a solid outlook and a stabilized attitude my friends visit will be a bonus not a "necessity". Trust me, I'll make sure she's just as pampered as what she expects to do for me.

Oh man, I almost forgot that this is Stew's diary not my own... Cheesy

stewie_griffin
LL Veteran
MMT Adviser

Credibility 305

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2007, 07:09:26 PM »

Stewie,

You sound like a well grounded person. It's impossible to be fully prepared for this life changing experience, but it sounds like you've done a good job of getting ready. I look forward to meeting you soon!

Thanks Holst  Smiley . The way I look at it, as I grow older, I realize more and more everyday that a person's height is very important in all aspects of their life. All my life I've felt like a tall person locked inside the body of a short one. And now its about time I break out and grab the life by its horns. And when I think about it that way, my 'fear' of the surgery evaporates into thin air. I know it will be tough, but I'm willing to go ahead. No turning back now because all there is behind me is dark and empty space.

Sg

You want to hear something interesting. Since I was so drugged up the first few days I had the most relaxing and deepest sleep in my life...

Hehe I can't wait to visit the lala land. 2 more weeks to go.  I have already started the preparations of things to bring. I'm heading out to get my passport size pictures taken for the visa. I'll be sure to look for the fumigators also. I just hope they don't knock us out before the roaches.
It's nice to hear you have good friends who care about you so much. People like that are very rare, trust me.

Sg

DJ
Lurker

Credibility 0

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2007, 05:31:43 AM »

Hey stewie,
Looking forward to reading your experiences. It's always comforting to hear someone making the big decision to go through with this procedure. It really helps me mentally prepare myself. Hopefully when the time is right, I'll feel as confident in my own decision.

By the way; I assume you plan on flying, you might make sure its permitted to carry bug bombs in your luggage, otherwise you might be mistaken for a terrorist or something Wink

stewie_griffin
LL Veteran
MMT Adviser

Credibility 305

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2007, 03:58:22 PM »

Hey stewie,
Looking forward to reading your experiences. It's always comforting to hear someone making the big decision to go through with this procedure. It really helps me mentally prepare myself. Hopefully when the time is right, I'll feel as confident in my own decision.
By the way; I assume you plan on flying, you might make sure its permitted to carry bug bombs in your luggage, otherwise you might be mistaken for a terrorist or something Wink

Hi DJ,

Welcome to our community. I think as long as any of the items don't have the word 'Bomb' printed on them, I should be fine.   Smiley

I'll keep everyone posted so check back soon.

Sg

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2007, 05:20:42 PM »

No turning back now because all there is behind me is dark and empty space.
SG,
Just wanted to say that was well put. I understand how you feel. Doing this operation is the "Tipping Point" in my life. My height painted all my experiences in life and became the first true obsession I've ever had. If I would accomplish anything else, no matter how great, I'd still feel like the short guy who Napoleon Bonaparte'ed my way through it.

Everywhere I went I would profile people based on height. I remember I was in a guitar shop looking at buckets of pics and this guy stood right next to me. He was average looking and was only wearing a white T-shirt and jeans, but he was relatively tall 5'9/5'10 and his legs were long. His jeans were rocker style with rips in them. I couldn't get over the fact that even certain of styles of clothes only belong to taller people, like those rocker jeans.

Every avenue in my mind led to becoming taller. Get this, all my brothers (even the younger ones) are close to 6 ft tall, because they take after my mother's side. I, on the other hand, take after my father's side standing at 5'6. Now don't get me wrong, 5'6 is a good enough height to do anything you'd like. For those people who dream about being that height let me just say, it has enabled me to get beautiful girls of all types including one that is 5'10, it has enabled me to become very successful at a young age...bottom line 5'6 is cool. I wanted to say that because I know that there are a lot of you out there trying to make it to 5'5 or 5'6. So just know that's a very respectable height.

But I have to agree with Stew and say I think increasing your height is a situation where the grass REALLY IS greener on the other side. I know this because of the 3 inch lift shoes I've worn.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 10:23:32 PM by 12 » Logged
stewie_griffin
LL Veteran
MMT Adviser

Credibility 305

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2007, 07:55:53 PM »

...I have to agree with Stew and say I think increasing your height is a situation where the grass REALLY IS greener on the other side. I know this because of the 3 inch lift shoes I've worn.

It's funny how the way of thinking of every "vertically challenged" individual is exactly the same. I feel the exact same way when I stand next to a person who's taller and obviously looks better in clothing. All my teammates at work are over 6' tall. Therefore I'm naturally feeling very inferior to everyone all the time. And it doesn't go unnoticed. I get on average 3-4 comments a day about my short height. I usually just take the joke and then throw one right back at them to make it seem like not a big deal, but deep down, I'm always thinking of somehow gaining those extra few inches. Now even after LL, people won't be able to tell much difference as I'm already 3 inches taller with my "tall boots" but atleast I'll be able to wear different shoes and feel a lot more comfortable. If I can be 5'7 bare feet, I'd be happy because that'd put me right outside the "short-circle" and on the borderline where the average height begins.

Thats good you haven't had any problems dating women, neither have I except with the last gf I had. But I'll leave that discussion to one of our Tremadol nights as it's a pretty detailed one.  Wink

Sg

jack0life
Handsome Mod
LL Hero
MMT Expert

Credibility 315

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2007, 01:00:16 AM »

Man, I can't wait till I get there.

Every cm was TORTURE.
Went from 158cm to 166cm in Beijing !!
sober42long
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 116

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2007, 07:16:37 AM »

hi stewie,
i will be the senior western patient in the hospital when you arrive. Which means, you must bring me offerings, of fruit,wine..and whores. You must also kill a fellow paitent, before i can give you membership to the 'disabled hells angels' club.
have a safe trip. see you soon.
-sober
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 07:24:18 AM by sober42long » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 17   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Make Me Taller! The world's number one elective leg lengthening site! Come here for information about LL, things to make you taller, how to get taller permanently, Ilizarov, Betzbone, Guichet Nail, PRECICE, height growth and other height related issues. This is the number one leg lengthening forum for height seekers and people trying to become taller. It was created and run by people who have actually done leg lengthening surgery (LL).

As a community site, MMT forum thrives on people's contributions, so please feel free to share your make me taller questions, videos, photos and experiences here in this leg lengthening forum. Make me taller is open to all, but please read the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) before posting as this will answer nearly all of your questions about getting taller through surgery. Please read our leg lengthening diaries too! We hope that you find this forum useful. Cheers, SysOp.