MMT Community
September 20, 2017, 09:38:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Support MMT Community
News: Welcome to Make Me Taller! This is the leading site for the discussion of Leg Lengthening on the Internet. Join now - the more contribute, the more you will benefit from being part of our community. Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Arm Lengthening Case Study - 9yr Old American Girl  (Read 21095 times)
MMTA
Former Site Admin
Administrator
MMT Expert

Credibility 1036

« on: May 07, 2009, 07:38:57 PM »

This is for a nine-year old girl who was born with a bone deformity

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/OnCall/story?id=4039315&page=1

WTBT2007
MMT Member

Credibility 5

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 09:34:00 PM »

Interesting how when the LL surgery is performed as a medical procedure, it is described as "gently cracking the bone," whereas a cosmetic procedure, it is described as "sawing the bone in half."
MMTA
Former Site Admin
Administrator
MMT Expert

Credibility 1036

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 09:35:31 PM »

Interesting how when the LL surgery is performed as a medical procedure, it is described as "gently cracking the bone," whereas a cosmetic procedure, it is described as "sawing the bone in half."

Yes, I noticed that too, although I did wonder if it was because the bones in the arm are simply not as thick or as strong as leg bones Smiley

DavidH
MMT Member

Credibility 3

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 06:41:57 AM »

Hi MMT,

Thank you so much for taking the time to find and post the story about the little girl. Since the muscles in the arm are no where near as large or strong as those attached to the femur it's reasonable this has something to do with the "painfree" procedure the doctor describes.  Doesn't sound anything like the nightmare scenario we were led to believe arm lengthening would be.  Then again, the patient was very young, and it's only one case study.  She may be the exception.

Again, thanks for taking the arm lengthening question seriously.

Best regards,

DavidH
MMTA
Former Site Admin
Administrator
MMT Expert

Credibility 1036

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 08:15:25 AM »

No problem, David, happy to help!

Minnesota_Mike
MMT Member

Credibility 25

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 02:06:23 PM »

The surgeon himself describes it as follows: "What we're doing is a bone lengthening, which means that we have to gently crack a bone so that its blood supply is preserved [...]". It would thus seem that they are doing a corticotomy (splitting only the outer part of the bone), and not a complete osteotomy which is done in the majority of cosmetic LL cases. In other words it's an accurate description.

What surprises me is that the reporter describes it as a "surgery breakthrough" and "pioneering new surgery technique", when it has in fact been done for several decades. This just goes to show that the general population doesn't have a clue that limb lengthening surgery even exists. This might not be a bad thing though Smiley
WTBT2007
MMT Member

Credibility 5

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2009, 04:50:32 PM »

yeah, true, perhaps b/c of the arm it requires less force in breaking the bone hence "cracking."
Black_Star
MMT Member

Credibility 7

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 09:05:55 AM »

I find it funny that that the girl went in for the surgery because her shorter arm was bothering her and "keeping her from leading a normal life" and how the reporter makes it sound like this surgery would make all of her troubles go away. Yet, you get a man who finds that his height bothers him and suddenly he is a freak for wanting to go through that same "cracking." Double standard anyone?
MMTA
Former Site Admin
Administrator
MMT Expert

Credibility 1036

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2009, 12:51:10 PM »

I find it funny that that the girl went in for the surgery because her shorter arm was bothering her and "keeping her from leading a normal life" and how the reporter makes it sound like this surgery would make all of her troubles go away. Yet, you get a man who finds that his height bothers him and suddenly he is a freak for wanting to go through that same "cracking." Double standard anyone?

I think that this arises because people are happy that people have operations to resolve deformities, but frown upon the same procedures being used for cosmetic purposes.

I've heard it described like this:

"It's OK to improve upon what God gave you, or to correct any problems from mother nature, but it is not cool to change what God gave you..."

Apotheosis
International Underwear Model :P
LL Legend
MMT Expert

Credibility 387

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2009, 01:33:15 PM »

I've heard it described like this:

"It's OK to improve upon what God gave you, or to correct any problems from mother nature, but it is not cool to change what God gave you..."

What people ignore when making the argument about "changing what God gave you" is that God didn't necessarily give you the environmental / nutritional factors that also play a very important part in determining what your final height will be. It's not all genetics.

My personal apotheosis to the very best me I can be. Starting height: 171 cm. 9.5+ cm added to femurs. 10.5+ cm added to tibias. Final Height: 189.5 cm +/-

My femur diary: http://www.makemetaller.org/index.php/topic,3530.0.html
My tibia diary: http://www.makemetaller.org/index.php/topic,4202.0.h
MMTA
Former Site Admin
Administrator
MMT Expert

Credibility 1036

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2009, 05:24:29 PM »

What people ignore when making the argument about "changing what God gave you" is that God didn't necessarily give you the environmental / nutritional factors that also play a very important part in determining what your final height will be. It's not all genetics.

But God still controls your environment...

skidude
MMT Member

Credibility -2

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2009, 03:01:41 AM »

Quote from: MMT Admin link=topic=2099. msg32505#msg32505 date=1258392269
But God still controls your environment. . .

What if you don't believe in God?
anonymous coward
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2010, 01:38:33 PM »

Quote from: MMT Admin link=topic=2099. msg32505#msg32505 date=1258392269
But God still controls your environment. . .

But then, that would mean that God wanted deformed people to be deformed. 
MMTA
Former Site Admin
Administrator
MMT Expert

Credibility 1036

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2010, 10:06:24 PM »

But then, that would mean that God wanted deformed people to be deformed. 

No, the devil does that.

anonymous coward
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2010, 03:32:15 PM »

No, the devil does that.
Are you taking advantage of my username(coward) or are you just posting your opinion.
Because you kinda freaked me out.
pangeh
n00b

Credibility 2

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2010, 03:39:33 AM »

Quote from: anonymous coward link=topic=2099. msg38220#msg38220 date=1281108735
Are you taking advantage of my username(coward) or are you just posting your opinion.
Because you kinda freaked me out.

lol.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Make Me Taller! The world's number one elective leg lengthening site! Come here for information about LL, things to make you taller, how to get taller permanently, Ilizarov, Betzbone, Guichet Nail, PRECICE, height growth and other height related issues. This is the number one leg lengthening forum for height seekers and people trying to become taller. It was created and run by people who have actually done leg lengthening surgery (LL).

As a community site, MMT forum thrives on people's contributions, so please feel free to share your make me taller questions, videos, photos and experiences here in this leg lengthening forum. Make me taller is open to all, but please read the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) before posting as this will answer nearly all of your questions about getting taller through surgery. Please read our leg lengthening diaries too! We hope that you find this forum useful. Cheers, SysOp.