MMT Community
March 24, 2017, 02:05:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Support MMT Community
News: IMPORTANT: If you're new to Leg Lengthening, then Click Here! to start with our FAQs section, which contains the answers to all of the most common questions! Please read these important FAQs before posting new questions!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bow Legs & Knock Knees Correction  (Read 45522 times)
Ladisten
Ladisten Clinic Online Representative
LL Marketer
MMT Member

Credibility 162

« on: May 20, 2009, 02:37:20 PM »

MMT suggested to open the new topic on this matter.
As many of you possibly know, that the bowing (also called genu varum) or knock knees (genu valgum) can be fixed.

A little information about procedure.
We make minimally invasive surgery when we correct misalignment, in most cases the surgery is done fast - about 40 min for both legs. Surgeons apply devices (depending on the diagnosis and severity of the case devices are either V-shaped or semi-ring) that remain on legs for 3-3.5 months.
The corrective surgery allow 1)improve self esteem, 2)improve appearance of the legs due to corrected alignment of bones 3)help to manage issues like back pain, knee pain and developed osteoarthritis.

Patients who have deformity/bowing but would also like to gain more height than approx 1 cm that can often be achieved after correction,  may also consider this procedure altogether with limb lengthening with one surgery.

I will not get in too much details as for now, maybe someone would find them unneeded or not interesting, but I will definitely try to answer all of your questions if you ask me. 

Couple of samples so you see below:
Before and After Correction

Before and After Correction

Before, While, After Correction

Ladisten Clinic
Limb Lengthening, Bow Legs and Knock Knees Correction
Bruce
LL Veteran
MMT Adviser

Credibility 231

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 03:48:17 PM »

Nice photos Ladisten!

I have a question for you. When bowed legs are corrected, is it very important that both legs should be 100% identical? Or is it ok if they are a little different, lets say 1 or 2 degrees.
SoaringEagle
MMT Member

Credibility 12

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 04:13:59 PM »

That is quite a substantial correction.  What condition did the girl have?  Some form of rickets?

In any event, I'm sure it has transformed her life.
MMTA
Former Site Admin
LL Legend
MMT Expert

Credibility 1036

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 08:06:46 PM »

Great work!

AV8R
n00b

Credibility 0

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 12:23:28 AM »

Ladisten:  To do bow leg correction, one only needs to stay in your country for two weeks, is this correct?
Ladisten
LL Marketer
MMT Member

Credibility 162

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 08:21:14 AM »

Ladisten:  To do bow leg correction, one only needs to stay in your country for two weeks, is this correct?
Not fully correct. You may choose to stay for 2 weeks (required) and leave then home, but you are very free to stay for the whole period of treatment and rehab, as you wish.

In 2 weeks you won't walk, would need to move in a wheel chair. This is the reason many patients choose to wait until they can walk with crutches that takes a little longer than 2 weeks - about 1-1.5 months.
In any case our clinic drives patient to the airport and assures everything is fine, so he/she's not left alone. Thank you for asking!
L

Ladisten Clinic
Ladisten
LL Marketer
MMT Member

Credibility 162

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 08:36:54 AM »

That is quite a substantial correction.  What condition did the girl have?  Some form of rickets?

This type of bowing is caused by Blount's disease and is severe, and when correcting it better to do it in childhood. Although Ladisten Clinic corrects this when patient is an adult as well

Thanks for asking.

Ladisten Clinic
jjensen
Lurker

Credibility 0

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2009, 08:23:51 AM »

Hi Ladisten,

my legs look kind of like the second case in your first post. I am wondering how much it would cost for bow leg correction in that case? Thanks in advance.
hialeah
MMT Member

Credibility 4

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2009, 06:33:52 PM »

Hi Ladisten,
I would like to know is any hardware (metal screws and such) left in the legs? Also, are the results permanent?
Thanks
Ladisten
LL Marketer
MMT Member

Credibility 162

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2009, 07:17:33 AM »

Hi Ladisten,

my legs look kind of like the second case in your first post. I am wondering how much it would cost for bow leg correction in that case? Thanks in advance.
Hello, thanks for asking. Although legs may look like case #N, still each case vary, so as additional factors like age, health condition.
Surgeons will need to see and evaluate your legs first - in your email to clinic (info at ladisten.com) you can attach photos (frontal / back view) and X-rays too if you have to get estimate.
Hope this helps. Let me know if more info is needed. Thanks.
L

Ladisten Clinic
Ladisten
LL Marketer
MMT Member

Credibility 162

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2009, 07:19:55 AM »

Hi Ladisten,
I would like to know is any hardware (metal screws and such) left in the legs? Also, are the results permanent?
Thanks
Hello, nothing is left after the treatment is over, also results are permanent.
Thank you.
L

Ladisten Clinic
Bruce
LL Veteran
MMT Adviser

Credibility 231

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2009, 10:50:23 AM »

This type of bowing is caused by Blount's disease and is severe, and when correcting it better to do it in childhood. Although Ladisten Clinic corrects this when patient is an adult as well

Thanks for asking.

Hello Ladisten, i can see in this photo that the legs are not perfectly identical after correction, does this affect the mechanics of the leg? Or is it nothing to worry about?
MMTA
Former Site Admin
LL Legend
MMT Expert

Credibility 1036

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2009, 11:46:02 AM »

I should just point out to everyone that no one's legs are perfect symmetrical natural - most people tend towards one side (lead with one leg) and so our bodies adapt so that we walk perfectly.

The most perfect legs are going to be those after someone has done LL and had everything tweaked to perfection.

Also, you cannot tell whether or not a pair of legs are symmetrical from photos - you need an x-ray for accuracy.

Bruce
LL Veteran
MMT Adviser

Credibility 231

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2009, 11:55:48 AM »

I should just point out to everyone that no one's legs are perfect symmetrical natural - most people tend towards one side (lead with one leg) and so our bodies adapt so that we walk perfectly.

The most perfect legs are going to be those after someone has done LL and had everything tweaked to perfection.

Also, you cannot tell whether or not a pair of legs are symmetrical from photos - you need an x-ray for accuracy.

Interesting to know, i ask because my legs are a little different.
Ladisten
LL Marketer
MMT Member

Credibility 162

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2009, 03:50:12 PM »

Interesting to know, i ask because my legs are a little different.
Hello Bruce,

There are never identical legs, as left and right part of your body they differ. Smiley
So, if we are talking about corrective surgery for fixing bowing, we correct bone alignment. The correctness of bone alignment is checked via X-rays apparatus.We do not correct muscle structure/improve muscle tone, make legs more beautiful, etc - it is out of our profile.

In any case, the aim is to make corrective surgery with saving full functionality and least trauma. After correction or LL there should not be any misalignment, (I refer any misalignment in any surface) caused by treatment. This should not be the case.
Hope this helps.

Ladisten Clinic
Bruce
LL Veteran
MMT Adviser

Credibility 231

« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2009, 04:15:02 PM »

Hello Bruce,

There are never identical legs, as left and right part of your body they differ. Smiley
So, if we are talking about corrective surgery for fixing bowing, we correct bone alignment. The correctness of bone alignment is checked via X-rays apparatus.We do not correct muscle structure/improve muscle tone, make legs more beautiful, etc - it is out of our profile.

In any case, the aim is to make corrective surgery with saving full functionality and least trauma. After correction or LL there should not be any misalignment, (I refer any misalignment in any surface) caused by treatment. This should not be the case.
Hope this helps.

Thanks for the response, it would be awesome if you could also post some x rays of someone who has had correction and lengthening. I would be interested to see how the alignment looks.
Ladisten
LL Marketer
MMT Member

Credibility 162

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2009, 08:19:33 AM »

Thanks for the response, it would be awesome if you could also post some x rays of someone who has had correction and lengthening. I would be interested to see how the alignment looks.
Hello Bruce,
We ourselves cannot post X-rays here for number of reasons. If there is anything else I can help you with, please let me know.
L

Ladisten Clinic
hialeah
MMT Member

Credibility 4

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2009, 01:41:26 AM »

Hi Ladisten,

Thank you for your prompt reply and the information. I have a couple of other questions.
1.  Do you have to break the bone(s)?
2.  What is muscle correction? Perhaps off-topic but I have never      heard of this.

Thanks!
Ladisten
LL Marketer
MMT Member

Credibility 162

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2009, 09:53:45 AM »

Hi Ladisten,

Thank you for your prompt reply and the information. I have a couple of other questions.
1.  Do you have to break the bone(s)?
2.  What is muscle correction? Perhaps off-topic but I have never      heard of this.

Thanks!
Hello,

1.Actually I would call it "cut" the bone,  instead of "break" - as this is how WE do it, some other doctors make "break" though.
2.What I say here is sometimes patients expect correction of alignment to make legs beautiful, no matter what was the muscle shape, or if there is/was an overweight/ poor muscle tone, etc.
We deal with orthopaedics, and patients should have realistic expectations about what we can fix and what we can not.

Thanks for asking, let me know if further questions.
L

Ladisten Clinic
hialeah
MMT Member

Credibility 4

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2009, 01:17:22 AM »

Hello,

1.Actually I would call it "cut" the bone,  instead of "break" - as this is how WE do it, some other doctors make "break" though.
2.What I say here is sometimes patients expect correction of alignment to make legs beautiful, no matter what was the muscle shape, or if there is/was an overweight/ poor muscle tone, etc.
We deal with orthopaedics, and patients should have realistic expectations about what we can fix and what we can not.

Thanks for asking, let me know if further questions.
L

I didn't know osteotomy was part of this. Is osteotomy always done in knock knee correction?

Thank you for clarifying what you meant by "muscle correction". I thought you meant surgery on the muscle tissue. I'm relieved to know that is not part of the surgery!

I am most interested in the therapeutic value of this surgery. I have looked at some articles available on the internet but they are written for doctors and I don't really understand them. Would you comment on this? Is there pain relief for instance? Lessening of ostoarthritis? Any other benefits?

Thank you
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Make Me Taller! The world's number one elective leg lengthening site! Come here for information about LL, things to make you taller, how to get taller permanently, Ilizarov, Betzbone, Guichet Nail, PRECICE, height growth and other height related issues. This is the number one leg lengthening forum for height seekers and people trying to become taller. It was created and run by people who have actually done leg lengthening surgery (LL).

As a community site, MMT forum thrives on people's contributions, so please feel free to share your make me taller questions, videos, photos and experiences here in this leg lengthening forum. Make me taller is open to all, but please read the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) before posting as this will answer nearly all of your questions about getting taller through surgery. Please read our leg lengthening diaries too! We hope that you find this forum useful. Cheers, SysOp.