MMT Community
January 21, 2019, 01:21:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SysOp is not here to make friends - he is here to keep this forum running smoothly and make sure that it stays the most informative site about LL in the world.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 20   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ShootingFor6 - External Tibias - Dr. Xia - 2009 - ShootingFor6 in Beijing  (Read 82601 times)
ShootingFor6
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 185

« on: July 26, 2009, 11:39:12 AM »

I arrived on Thursday, 23 July 2009. Met my new roommate who's a pretty cool guy. He had his surgery just a couple of days earlier. He seems to be doing well. The doctors and staff here are great. They made me feel very welcome, though the language barrier is a bit of an issue. But Ronne speaks excellent English and she translated all my questions for the doctors. I'm not Chinese though I'm of Asian descent. Here are my numbers.

Current height: 1.75m
Desired height: 1.83m
Wingspan: 1.84m

I hope to be able to hit 1.83m by lengthening 8cm. But I'll actually be quite happy with 1.8m. So my lengthening target will be 5 - 8cm. We'll see how it goes. Smiley

Another thing is that Dr Xia recommended that I do their alternative procedure of making 2 incisions on the tibia instead of 1 at the first op. I've never heard about this before. He said it's only been performed twice. Tomorrow I'll be the third recipient and there's supposed to be another local girl going through the same procedure soon. BTW she's pretty cute. The lengthening duration is apparently much shorter with 2 tibia cuts. The recovery period is faster too. Calf hypergrowth is also supposed to be reduced. According to Dr Xia, the only drawback is the extra pins.

Even though this procedure is a little different from what I was expecting, I trust Dr Xia. He comes across as a very warm and personable character. He puts me very much at ease. He was the first person I met when I set foot in the hospital. I think he was on the way home as he was wearing casual clothes. I was carrying my luggage and he stopped me in my tracks. He put on a big smile and greeted me warmly, "Welcome ... Welcome!" He's a cool cat!

I'm a private and reserved kind of guy, so I'm not really sure if I'll end up doing a regular diary. But I do find writing therapeutic. I'm having surgery tomorrow, so I'm pretty anxious. I just had my legs shaved and it all seems so unreal that I'll actually grow a couple of inches. It's so very unreal! Grin

« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 10:08:36 AM by SysOp » Logged
MMTA
Former Site Admin
Administrator
MMT Expert

Credibility 1036

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 11:53:50 AM »

Hey!

Welcome and good luck - I'm interested to hear whether or not this new technique makes your experiences any different, so I'll be reading your diary with interest Smiley

Good luck!

MMT

LLxperience
LL Trooper
n00b

Credibility 3

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 12:42:37 PM »

Good luck roommate!!
breakline
MMT Member

Credibility 6

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 12:50:35 PM »

Hi!

So what are your reasons? I mean 175 is tall for an asian guy as far as i know. I am at the same height (i am not asian) so this diary is interesting for me as you have the same goals as me.  Smiley
jack0life
Handsome Mod
LL Hero
MMT Expert

Credibility 315

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2009, 07:08:19 PM »

Wow, its very interesting that Beijing is trying a new technique.
I guess it definately would speed up the receovery process and maybe let you lengthen quicker.
Unless you are trying to do 8cm+, I don't see the advantage in it.
We all know that the bones aren't the limitation. Its the nerves, muscles, tendons, etc...
Since you are fitted with the inside nails anyway, theres really no reason for needing your bones to heal quicker.
Alot of Beijing patients come back long after the bones have heal to get their nails out.

The big issue I see here is the extra cut and needing the frames to support the extra break in your tibias.
That just sounds scary to me.
Also with the extra pins, theres more places to get infections and then theres more scars to worry about.

Please keep us inform if you are indeed getting the extra cut in your tibias.
Be interested to know if you can actually turn a little quicker because of the 2 cuts.
We would also love to see the device.

Every cm was TORTURE.
Went from 158cm to 166cm in Beijing !!
jason_bourne
MMT Member

Credibility 3

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009, 09:04:25 PM »

good luck w/ the surgery man! I would take an extra scar to speed up the time, but I will follow your posts to see how it works out first.
Sashimi
LL Patient
MMT Member

Credibility 2

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 09:50:35 PM »

wow. You must tell us more about this new procedure !! If everything goes well. I should be in Beijing in mid September for LL. I would know for sure by next week after I pay. I am pretty quiet and a little reserved at first as well.. maybe we will get along. Good luck man !! I cant wait for my turn. I can only imagine how neavous and anxious you are. Best of luck
ShootingFor6
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 185

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2009, 12:13:36 AM »

So what are your reasons? I mean 175 is tall for an asian guy as far as i know.

Yeah, I'm considered above average height from where I'm from. I just want to be taller, and I've wanted this for some years now. Hitting the magical height of 6ft would be sweet. Another thing is that my legs are a little short for my body. A couple of inches there would make me very happy with my proportions. Smiley

We all know that the bones aren't the limitation. Its the nerves, muscles, tendons, etc...
Since you are fitted with the inside nails anyway, theres really no reason for needing your bones to heal quicker.

I think 2 tibia cuts facilitate lengthening of the flesh too, not just the bone. Instead of your entire 8cm lengthening being localized to the calf area around the 1 tibia cut, it's spread to 2 areas instead, meaning that it's a 4cm stretch of the flesh localized to 2 places instead of 1. One more thing to note is that not everyone may be suitable for this new technique. I've spoken to patients who just had their op, and also to a girl who will be doing hers at the same time as I will. It seems that this new method was not broached to them by the doctors, and these patients have not heard of this method at all. Maybe I'm a suitable candidate because the doctors said I have long tibias, so I have enough "room" for 2 incisions. I'm not sure though, and it's best you contact the hospital directly for more information concerning this alternative method.
 Smiley
ShootingFor6
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 185

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2009, 12:33:21 AM »

Thanks to everyone else for their positive comments. I'm very nervous right now. The butterflies are having a party in my tummy. Grin

I'll be having surgery in 30min. I'm going for a xrays now, after which I'll be going to the operating theater. Wish me luck! Bye for now. Smiley
MMTA
Former Site Admin
Administrator
MMT Expert

Credibility 1036

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2009, 12:43:06 AM »

Your post brings back memories, I remember slipping into that surgical robe, slipping on the flip-flops and walking the short distance down to the operating theatre - what a great feeling it is once you look back and realise that that was the first part of your LL - and your last journey as someone who wasn't happy with their height Smiley

jack0life
Handsome Mod
LL Hero
MMT Expert

Credibility 315

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2009, 12:46:01 AM »

I think 2 tibia cuts facilitate lengthening of the flesh too, not just the bone. Instead of your entire 8cm lengthening being localized to the calf area around the 1 tibia cut, it's spread to 2 areas instead, meaning that it's a 4cm stretch of the flesh localized to 2 places instead of 1. One more thing to note is that not everyone may be suitable for this new technique. I've spoken to patients who just had their op, and also to a girl who will be doing hers at the same time as I will. It seems that this new method was not broached to them by the doctors, and these patients have not heard of this method at all. Maybe I'm a suitable candidate because the doctors said I have long tibias, so I have enough "room" for 2 incisions. I'm not sure though, and it's best you contact the hospital directly for more information concerning this alternative method.
 Smiley

Yes, you are absolutely right in theory.
Ideally, it sounds like you could lengthen faster which is why I'm very intrique to see if it is true.
Still though, the idea is scary.
You're openning up the potential of more problems because of the extra cut, more pins, the need for more support.
I don't think the advantages are there.

Every cm was TORTURE.
Went from 158cm to 166cm in Beijing !!
WTBT2007
MMT Member

Credibility 5

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2009, 04:57:36 AM »

Good luck with the surgery. I hope you are recovering well.

I understand your need for privacy but you don't have to give any personal details - a diary would be great and I'm really glad you started this one! Perhaps if you can just give us a round-up of the pain (both physical and mental) that you experience, any problems you run into or tips you have for future LLers, that would be great. Or even what exercises you do, what you eat, and so forth, that help with the LL process.

Agains, good luck.
liuxialai
MMT Member

Credibility 2

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2009, 03:26:58 PM »

Whether it is a new technique or not. I just hope it is safe. Looking forward to hearing good news from you ShootingFor6 Smiley
ShootingFor6
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 185

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2009, 04:29:06 PM »

It's past midnight right now, 5 days post-op and I'm feeling pretty good. Here's a summary of what happened.

I walked nervously into the operating room for my life-changing surgery. Before being knocked out, I recall seeing 4 doctors and a few nurses who were waiting to work on my legs. I also woke up midway during surgery. I heard hammers and drills and felt slight pressure when they were applied to my legs. But no pain of course. Actually it was pretty cool to consciously partake in my own surgery. When I was wheeled back into my room, I saw that it was almost 4 hours later.

The aftermath pain is definitely there, but it was quite bearable probably due to the epidural in my back. The pain is more akin to a throbbing discomfort in my entire lower legs, especially in the shin to knee regions where I believe the dual tibia cuts are located. The severe lack of mobility, even while lying in bed, and the general feeling of helplessness adds to the discomfort. But it isn't really that big of a deal. Some forum members seem to be fearful of the catheter up your tool. I didn't even notice its presence most of the time unless I got morning wood. It was a complete non-issue for me and it should be for you too. At the end of the second day, the maids started to block the catheter by tying it up, to force my bladder to expand in anticipation of the catheter removal the following day, so as to faciliate normal peeing with sufficient bladder pressure.

I was supposed to get the catheter and epidural out on the third day, but I had to request it half a day earlier because I wanted to take a poop. The maids rolled me into the toilet and I did the deed. BTW the chefs, maids, nurses and doctors have been awesome so far. Everyone's very attentive and they take excellent care of you here! As the day progressed, the pain in my legs started to intensify from the absence of epidural. I took a tramadol late into the night but it had absolutely no effect. I only managed less than 30 minutes of sleep that night. The following day Dr Han informed me that due to my larger build and extra tibia incisions, even 2 tramadol would be insufficient. He said he'll give me a stronger alternative painkiller. I don't know what it's called as I had no need to request it from the nurse because I felt no pain.

It's past midnight right now, 5 days post-op and I'm feeling pretty good. Cool
Crashing
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2009, 08:29:44 PM »

Hi!

So what are your reasons? I mean 175 is tall for an asian guy as far as i know. I am at the same height (i am not asian) so this diary is interesting for me as you have the same goals as me.  Smiley

Yes, and the same goals as me too.

I contacted with Dr. Xia and he explain me that i have to wait because i can grow a few cm more i will wait *_*
Sashimi
LL Patient
MMT Member

Credibility 2

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2009, 11:39:01 PM »

good to hear that you are doing great man. I have a question, are all the future LL operation going to be using this Dual cut technique ? or it depends on the patient ? if so, how do the doctors decide ? 
ShootingFor6
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 185

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2009, 07:04:12 AM »

@Sashimi
I think it depends on the patient. I was told that I had long tibias, so maybe that's why I could accommodate 2 cuts. Remember I'm not short to start with at 1.75m. Best to discuss all this with the doctors when you're here. See you soon! Smiley
liuxialai
MMT Member

Credibility 2

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2009, 10:46:03 AM »

1.75m is my goal. You are already at my goal man. Shocked Though 1.75m in China is relatively high.
breakline
MMT Member

Credibility 6

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2009, 11:49:38 AM »

good to hear that you are doing great man. I have a question, are all the future LL operation going to be using this Dual cut technique ? or it depends on the patient ? if so, how do the doctors decide ? 

Hey man

Do you remember about your tibia measurments? I am just curious about my tibia as we are almost at the same height.

Thanks
ShootingFor6
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 185

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2009, 04:45:43 AM »

@breakline
Nope, I wasn't told my tibia measurements. Though I do remember the doctors saying that my femur is 7cm longer than my tibia.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 20   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Make Me Taller! The world's number one elective leg lengthening site! Come here for information about LL, things to make you taller, how to get taller permanently, Ilizarov, Betzbone, Guichet Nail, PRECICE, height growth and other height related issues. This is the number one leg lengthening forum for height seekers and people trying to become taller. It was created and run by people who have actually done leg lengthening surgery (LL).

As a community site, MMT forum thrives on people's contributions, so please feel free to share your make me taller questions, videos, photos and experiences here in this leg lengthening forum. Make me taller is open to all, but please read the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) before posting as this will answer nearly all of your questions about getting taller through surgery. Please read our leg lengthening diaries too! We hope that you find this forum useful. Cheers, SysOp.