MMT Community
June 29, 2017, 03:51:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Support MMT Community
News: Check out the new photos in the Proportions section, which include photos and videos of a lady who lengthened by a full 12cm walking and stretching, and a guy who did 8.8cm taking his first steps! Shocked Click Here!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Serious (bio)medical height increase research projects  (Read 169785 times)
HaraldO
MMT Member

Credibility 3

« on: August 18, 2006, 03:29:04 PM »

Hello,

my name is Harald Oberlaender. I am short statured German student. Together with some other short statured people from different countries I founded the "Biomedical Growth Research Initiative" (BGRI) 4 years ago.

The "Biomedical Growth Research Initiative" is an international initiative of people with various forms of short stature syndrome. Our initiative wants to support biomedical growth research, so that a safe and effective height increase therapy will be available as soon as possible. You will find additional information concerning the concept of our initiative and the potential of biomedical growth research on our new homepage http://www.growth-research.org

Our initiative has received two detailed research proposals from worldwide leading biomedical research groups at respected universities. These research projects could revolutionize the therapy of unwanted short stature in the near future.
One research team is working on a tissue engineered growth plate implant, which has already been tested in animals. The other research team at an US elite university has developed a plan for an interdisciplinary height increase research institute, that would bring together some of the world?s most respected tissue engineering and biomedical researchers.

But without funding these projects won?t be realized and nothing will change. So we are looking for a funding source in order to start the proposed research projects. But without personal contacts to wealthy people this is very difficult. So everybody, who is interested in supporting our search for interested donators and/or investors, please e-mail me at harald_oberlaender@hotmail.com

Thank you very much
Harald

P.S.: Of course every interested donator or investor will receive the official research proposals and he/she will be able to talk personally with the researchers and visit
their laboratories before making a final funding decision.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2006, 07:42:30 PM by MMT Admin » Logged
HaraldO
MMT Member

Credibility 3

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2006, 03:29:48 PM »

Dear forum owner,

could you imagine to add a permanent link to our homepage http://www.growth-research.org at the top of your forum? We appreciate every support we can get! And your forum is one of the best visited height increase forums. With your help and a bit of luck we will find additional people, that support our search for a funding source, in order to realize the proposed visionary research projects.

If you want to have additional information from me, please don?t hesitate to ask.

Thank you very much
Harald
MMTA
Former Site Admin
LL Legend
MMT Expert

Credibility 1036

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2006, 07:42:12 PM »

Hi.

Thanks for your post, Harald.

I'll sticky your topic so that it stays up there, and I wish you luck with the initiative.

How many years away from a mass-market technology do you think this research is?

Also, do you think it will ever be available for cosmetic reasons, or only for conditions such as dwarfism?

If there is anything else I can do, please PM me.

Auf wiedersehn!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2006, 07:46:53 PM by MMT Admin » Logged

HaraldO
MMT Member

Credibility 3

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2006, 09:45:58 AM »

Dear MMT-admin,

thank you very much for your support.
We think, that a first generation biomedical height increase therapy could be available to the mass market within 3-5 years after funding starts. As such a therapy will be significantly less invasive than current LL surgery, it will surely be a cosmetic option.

Bye
Harald
secret
Lurker

Credibility -1

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2006, 12:30:41 PM »

Hello.I am a 26 year old female from Turkey.I am planning to have LL next month in Kiev,Dr. Dragan.If you have found and medicine or dietary supplement as a result of your research you can try it for me after the surgery.I am ready to take part in any experiment that can shorten the time required for the healing of my bones,muscles and nerves.My email:atipik614@mynet.com
dkdkmartin
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2006, 07:13:06 PM »

Dear MMT-admin,

thank you very much for your support.
We think, that a first generation biomedical height increase therapy could be available to the mass market within 3-5 years after funding starts. As such a therapy will be significantly less invasive than current LL surgery, it will surely be a cosmetic option.

Bye
Harald

Hi

How many cm will one be able to gain? Which bones would grow?

Thanks
HaraldO
MMT Member

Credibility 3

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2006, 07:33:25 PM »

Hello,

your questions can?t be answered for sure at the moment, as only further research could prove.
And our initiative has received three different research proposals with three different methods and perspectives.
But probably a height increase of about 8-10 cm for every desired bone could be achieved, in the best case even completely non-invasive.
But once again: We urgently need a serious funding source. Thanks to (bio)medical progress science is currently not the biggest problem any more, but funding.
If you want to help us, please send me an e-mail.

Best regards
Harald
cbick66
LL Hero
MMT Adviser

Credibility 514

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2006, 08:48:50 PM »

Ok, I understand that funding is needed when it comes to science. But if it's something that is guarantied to make money in the long run(height increase)I would think that a bunch of rich investors would be lining up for this. Especially if the rich investor is of short stature. For example:
Muhammad Ali had potential to become a great profesional boxer as an ammature so when he turned pro, a group of investors funded his career. He wasn't guarantied to make alot of money but it just so happens that he turned out to be the greatest of all time(second to Mike Tyson of course, lol). Now all these investors made more then their investment back.

I know it wasn't the nest example but i'm a huge boxing fan so that came to mind. But it's the same principle. If there's money to be made, people will pay.

TIME IS YOUR FRIEND
Cheers to all the vets and future LL Troopers
cbick66
LL Hero
MMT Adviser

Credibility 514

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2006, 09:40:37 PM »

With that being said, what would human civilization come to if this was a reality. I mean average height for humans would intsantly become 10cm taller. Forget the short people, even tall people would be lining up for this. Basketball players all over would take them just to have that extra height advantage, women all over would take them to be the next model. I dunno, you wouldn't be able to regulate something like this. At least now LL is some kind of regulation. I mean someone that is already everage height or more would think twice before putting himself through this for just a couple of inches. But lets just say it was a pill, he'd be like: Ah why not, it won't hurt to grow a couple of inches.

Don't get me wrong, I would love for something like this to happen but where would it stop. In 5 years, the average height for a male human would be what? 190cm?

TIME IS YOUR FRIEND
MMTA
Former Site Admin
LL Legend
MMT Expert

Credibility 1036

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2006, 01:10:06 AM »

I think that talk of everyone becoming taller is very premature.

Firstly, this treatment would be incredibly expensive, especially in the earlier days. Assuming that a major pharmaceutical company wants to put it through clinical trials and FDS / DOH / EU approval, there will be marketing and distribution costs.

Assuming that a safe treatment with no side effects comes out of those trials, it would still take several years to bring it to market.

This 'treatment' wouldn't be paid for by insurance companies - they often won't pay for life-saving drugs and so they will definitely not put this on their approved list.

As such, I think that this is an interesting route, but one that will be for the extremely wealthy if (and once) its reaches the marketplace.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2006, 01:30:30 AM by MMT Admin » Logged

HaraldO
MMT Member

Credibility 3

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2006, 08:56:38 AM »

Hello,

thank you very much for your comments.

>Ok, I understand that funding is needed when it comes to science. But if it's >something that is guarantied to make money in the long run(height increase)>I would think that a bunch of rich investors would be lining up for this.
We have contacted several venture capital companies. But unfortunately it is not so easy, as you may think. First of all: Short stature is not an accepted medical disease. So public funding sources aren?t interested and even most private investors don?t realize, that this is a significant problem with significant market potential. In fact this kind of research would be a complete new line of research. Nobody has ever tried to develop a safe and effective biomedical height increase therapy for short statured adults. Additionally most biotech investors prefer to invest into late stage products, that are already in human clinical trials. There is a significant fear to loose money, if you invest too early in a biotech therapy. You have to know, that even established biotech companies (like e.g. Advances Tissue Sciences, Valigen, Kimeragen and many others) with promissing product candidates have run out of money during the last few years because of the difficult investment climate in the biotech scene. To sum up: At least during the starting phase we need an investor with a significant personal interest or even better a donator with a personal interest. As soon as human clinical trials have started, it will be much easier to attract large institutional investors. But without personal contacts it is really hard to find wealthy short statured donators or investors. So we need every help we can get in order to find such a funding source!     

>I mean average height for humans would intsantly become 10cm taller.
That surely won?t be the case. Many people don?t think about their height and wouldn?t change anything, even if there was the possibility. It can be compared to modern wrinkle treatments (like e.g. Botox or Collagen injections). These are quite effective treatments with moderate costs - but still most people don?t choose to use them. Same with breast or nose corrections and so on. There is obviously a significant market for such therapies, but still the vast majority of people worldwide doesn?t use these kind of therapies.

>Firstly, this treatment would be incredibly expensive, especially in the earlier >days.
As a biomedical therapy would be much lesse invasive than limb lengthening surgery, it surely won?t cost more than current surgery options. The more people can afford such a therapy, the bigger the profit for the company.

Best regards
Harald

sunilk
Lurker

Credibility 0

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2006, 12:13:57 PM »

do u this is it possible to increase ones height after puberty,other than limb lengthening surgery,if u do hav that kind inform me.ill pay u how much u want..
HaraldO
MMT Member

Credibility 3

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2006, 01:25:53 PM »

>do u this is it possible to increase ones height after puberty,other than limb >lengthening surgery

If we find a funding source and the research projects start, there will be a very good chance, that it will be possible to increase height after puberty safely and effectively.
If you want to support our search for a funding source, please e-mail me at harald_oberlaender@hotmail.com
Best regards
Harald
cbick66
LL Hero
MMT Adviser

Credibility 514

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2006, 07:10:10 PM »

Around how much are you looking for here? Obviously the funds would would have to come from several investors.

TIME IS YOUR FRIEND
HaraldO
MMT Member

Credibility 3

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2006, 07:21:12 PM »

>Around how much are you looking for here? Obviously the funds would would >have to come from several investors.

We need at least 250.000 dollars to start one research project, about 1 million dollars to start all three projects.
This first research phase should lead to proof-of-principle animal studies. After that it is a realistic option to attract a large institutional investors (like e.g. a venture capital company) or license the technology to an existing biotech or pharma company.
Best regards
Harald
blup
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2006, 12:03:00 AM »

If you are right financed, will your technology have the hability to make
grow every parts of the body proportionately (head, shoulder, vertebral
column, arms and legs...)?
Anyway, good luck and newer give up !
HaraldO
MMT Member

Credibility 3

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2006, 07:51:04 PM »

>If you are right financed, will your technology have the hability to make
>grow every parts of the body proportionately (head, shoulder, vertebral
>column, arms and legs...)?

Well, we think, that the proposed research projects have the potential to increase arm and leg length and to increase torso height.

>Anyway, good luck and newer give up !
Thank you for your wishes. But it is really hard to stay motivated. Unfortunately very, very few short statured people can be motivated to support us actively. (I really don?t understand why.) So I am currently not very optimistic, that we will find a funding source. 

Best regards
Harald
HaraldO
MMT Member

Credibility 3

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2006, 05:18:29 PM »

Dear MMT-Adiministrator,

may I ask, why you removed the sticky from my posting? It would be great, if you could sticky it again. If my posting moves down, it won?t be read by many people any more.

Best regards
Harald
MMTA
Former Site Admin
LL Legend
MMT Expert

Credibility 1036

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2006, 03:11:18 AM »

Hi Harald,

I've noticed that some people have been confused by the nature of the research of your project and its status and are thinking that there might be a miracle cure which is misleading for them.

My understanding is that you and your team have proposals and ideas, but no actual money and so there is a chance that this project might never get off the ground.

For that reason, I'm unstickying this as it is not directly relevant to cosmetic leg lengthening, but I'll be happy to sticky it again when you make some progress with either funding or some tangible progress.

Having talked to some friends in the pharmaceutical and biomedical industries recently, they don't believe that a non-invasive, non-mechanical method of height increase will ever be possible as a mass-market offering. The market would be too small and the alternatives are too clear - better nutrition and growth stimulants for young people, and surgery for those who have stopped growing.

The average height of humanity is increasing rapidly anyway, meaning that this is a declining problem.

It takes billions to bring a new drug or medical treatment to market due to the complex approval and testing process, and they will typically only invest where the market is large enough. My personal view is that the market in this case would not be large enough to support the level of investment required and that this makes funding a project like this close to impossible, even though I believe that the aims are good.

Right now, though, the only way for short-statured adults to achieve permanent height increase is through leg lengthening surgery and so I want to focus on topics directly related to that and not confuse people.

Feel free to PM me with any questions and to let me know when you have some tangible progress Smiley

HaraldO
MMT Member

Credibility 3

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2006, 08:54:57 AM »

Dear MMT-Adiministrator,

I am deeply disappointed because of your answer and your decision not to support our initiative any more  Sad  Sad  Sad. I have never said, that we have to offer "a mircale cure" right now. I have always clearly stated, that we look for a funding sozrce to START the proposed research projects. So I don?t see, that anyone could be confused by my postings.

>My understanding is that you and your team have proposals and ideas, but >no actual money and so there is a chance that this project might never get >off the ground.
This is what I have always said. So we need every help and support we can get. It is extremly depressing, that even you don?t want to help us any more! I work so hard for a better therapy than LL surgery. But I won?t succeed without active support ...

>Having talked to some friends in the pharmaceutical and biomedical industries >recently, they don't believe that a non-invasive, non-mechanical method of >height increase will ever be possible as a mass-market offering. The market >would be too small and the alternatives are too clear - better nutrition and >growth stimulants for young people, and surgery for those who have stopped >growing.
I am convinced, that there is a very significant market. A safe and effective lemb lengthening therapy would not only be useful for "cosmetic" reasons, but also for several "medical" indications, like
TRAUMA:
As the result of an accident where bones or soft tissue have been seriously damaged. Limb must be shortened to ensure wound healing. This can be successfully corrected by the Telescope Nail Method.
GROWTH PROBLEMS/DEFECTS:
For example when there is a growth joint defect leading to unequal growth of the legs. This unequal growth can be corrected by the Telescopic Nail.
MICROSOMIA:
This is the terminology for a body size of between 80 and 150 centimetres. Frequently a normal torso and short legs and/or arms result in proportions which are far from ideal. This can cause enormous daily restrictions when sitting or driving. The Telescope Nail can solve these problems and correct the proportions of the arms and legs in relation to the torso.
THE REMOVAL OF TUMOURS:
When a tumour is diagnosed extensive parts of the bone sometimes have to be removed. In the past this usually meant that the leg had to be amputated above that point. Now that the previously removed bone can be lengthened, the patient has the chance of a fully-functional limb again.
AMPUTATION:
Generally speaking it causes less prosthetic problems when dealing with a longer stump. It is possible with the aid of the Telescope Nail to extend short amputation stumps to size. This, of course, depends on sufficient soft tissue. The C-Leg prothesis (Fa. Bock) is particularly beneficial here.
(http://www.prof-betz.de/english/Medizinische/medizinische.html ).
As a (bio)medical therapy would be signifcantly less invasive and probably also less expensive than LL surgery, it would get a very significant part of this market very soon ... and it would surely attract a lot of people, who would like to increase height for "cosmetic" reasons, but didn?t want to do the drastic LL surgery. 
So to sum up: I think your friends are completely wrong concerning this point.

>The average height of humanity is increasing rapidly anyway, meaning that >this is a declining problem.
As far as I can see this means, that it is an increasing problem: People, that were considered "tall" 20-25 years ago are now average or shorter than average. So the taller our kids become, the bigger the problem gets for the "older" generation (=the generation with the money).

>Right now, though, the only way for short-statured adults to achieve >permanent height increase is through leg lengthening surgery and so I want >to focus on topics directly related to that and not confuse people.
I see it this way: If people were really confused (what I can?t see), the answer would be to clarify and discuss the confusion ... not to stop the discussion! Stopping a discussion won?t clarify any confusion. And you should also consider, that no other topic on your discussion board has generated as many hits as this posting. So obviously this has been considered the most interesting topic for the visitors of this forum.
Harald

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Make Me Taller! The world's number one elective leg lengthening site! Come here for information about LL, things to make you taller, how to get taller permanently, Ilizarov, Betzbone, Guichet Nail, PRECICE, height growth and other height related issues. This is the number one leg lengthening forum for height seekers and people trying to become taller. It was created and run by people who have actually done leg lengthening surgery (LL).

As a community site, MMT forum thrives on people's contributions, so please feel free to share your make me taller questions, videos, photos and experiences here in this leg lengthening forum. Make me taller is open to all, but please read the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) before posting as this will answer nearly all of your questions about getting taller through surgery. Please read our leg lengthening diaries too! We hope that you find this forum useful. Cheers, SysOp.