MMT Community
January 21, 2019, 01:31:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tough love is the best love for people considering Leg Lengthening - the truth hurts, but it's important to be realistic Wink

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  

The Make Me Taller (MMT) community forum provides free information about the only REAL way to become taller - elective leg lengthening (LL) surgery. This site contains detailed information, pictures, videos, diaries and personal accounts from people who have undergone cosmetic LL to become taller. We discuss the pros and cons of Ilizarov, Betzbone, Guichet Nail, PRECICE and other methods. Please read our FAQs first before posting and enjoy your time here finding out how to become taller! Leg Lengthening is a serious endeavor, so do your research! You can also buy MMT's new book about LL called 'Inchworm' at Amazon!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question for Guys Who are 5'7'' to 5'10''  (Read 80836 times)
5footeightish
MMT Member

Credibility -2

« on: October 31, 2009, 07:12:57 PM »

I've seen quite a few of us on this board who are average height, or an inch or two below average height.  I'm not saying that height doesn't matter, and I'm sure if we were 6' 2'' it would have benefits in our career and with women.

However, being that we're at or near the average, is this mainly a psychological issue we have to overcome? I would think that with good posture, modest lifts (1. 5-2 inches) and the proper clothing our height wouldn't be much of an impediment at all.  It would obviously be different at less than 5' 7'', where I think people do start to treat men very differently.  Thoughts?
NoTanAlto2
LL Patient
MMT Member

Credibility 2

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 09:23:35 PM »

Well I am 5'6 and height has become quite an obsession for me. 

I do think that if i were to be 5'8, I dont think I would go through with the surgery because, at least where I am living, most of the guys here are about 5'9.
5footeightish
MMT Member

Credibility -2

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2009, 09:51:33 PM »

Quote from: NoTanAlto2 link=topic=2916. msg31882#msg31882 date=1257024215
Well I am 5'6 and height has become quite an obsession for me.  

I do think that if i were to be 5'8, I dont think I would go through with the surgery because, at least where I am living, most of the guys here are about 5'9. 

Yeah, I totally agree.  If I was 5'6'' I would seriously consider the surgery, to be honest.  I think it comes down to the fact that most women are 5'4'' - 5'7'', and it's so much more difficult when you're shorter than them.
MMTA
Former Site Admin
Administrator
MMT Expert

Credibility 1036

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2009, 11:12:05 PM »

I used to be in this club and I can tell you catergorically that your issue is not purely psychological - you will gain massively from moving to below average to just above - the impact with the ladies will amaze you  Cheesy

Growing
LL Veteran
MMT Adviser

Credibility 175

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2009, 11:33:03 PM »

I concur with MMT.  It's not just your psychological issue.

Prior to getting the OP, my stepmom told me that if I stopped thinking about height, then it wouldn't be so important to me.  It's interesting advice.  On the one hand, we do see what we're looking for.  On the other, even if the issue of height were unimportant to me, it would remain important to other people, thereby still affecting me.

I'm 5'9" now.  Where I live I'm "kinda short" but not short enough to be discriminated against.  I simply don't receive the instant respect and attention that guys 5'11" and up do.  Actually, this is what has been most interesting to me about having gone from 5'6" to 5'9"- just how important first appearances are. 

-G

+ 7.7 cm.
SoleBaje
MMT Member

Credibility 6

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2009, 10:35:57 PM »

I concur with MMT.  It's not just your psychological issue.

Prior to getting the OP, my stepmom told me that if I stopped thinking about height, then it wouldn't be so important to me.  It's interesting advice.  On the one hand, we do see what we're looking for.  On the other, even if the issue of height were unimportant to me, it would remain important to other people, thereby still affecting me.

I'm 5'9" now.  Where I live I'm "kinda short" but not short enough to be discriminated against.  I simply don't receive the instant respect and attention that guys 5'11" and up do.  Actually, this is what has been most interesting to me about having gone from 5'6" to 5'9"- just how important first appearances are. 

-G

Still, wouldn't you say that your life has improved significantly having gone from 'below average' to 'average?'
Growing
LL Veteran
MMT Adviser

Credibility 175

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2009, 11:13:18 PM »

Still, wouldn't you say that your life has improved significantly having gone from 'below average' to 'average?'

Definitely!

I get more respect from men and more interest from women.

+ 7.7 cm.
Crashing
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009, 07:37:41 PM »

I'm back maybe is psychological. I'm 5'9" withouth LL (175), at morning 176 and i am a little obssesed, i want to do LL at 5'11-6'1 tall
Apotheosis
International Underwear Model :P
LL Legend
MMT Expert

Credibility 387

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2009, 08:21:43 PM »

I don't think it's a psychological issue for those of us who are average height and want LL.  If anything, it's a psychological issue of the rest of the world for favoring taller people.  We have to do something physical (LL) to overcome the erroneous (but extant) psychology that favors taller people over us.  I know that I'm going to be more liked by the ladies when I'm 5'11" than I was when I was 5'8".  I'm pretty sure this extends to all facets of life from work on down.

A former girlfriend who once told me that she really wanted to be with a taller guy ended up marrying a knobby, gawky guy who is 6'4".  I'm fairly confident that any girl shorter than 5'9 will never make that argument with me when I'm 5'11.

My personal apotheosis to the very best me I can be. Starting height: 171 cm. 9.5+ cm added to femurs. 10.5+ cm added to tibias. Final Height: 189.5 cm +/-

My femur diary: http://www.makemetaller.org/index.php/topic,3530.0.html
My tibia diary: http://www.makemetaller.org/index.php/topic,4202.0.h
MMTA
Former Site Admin
Administrator
MMT Expert

Credibility 1036

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2009, 12:10:37 AM »

We have to do something physical (LL) to overcome the erroneous (but extant) psychology that favors taller people over us.  I know that I'm going to be more liked by the ladies when I'm 5'11" than I was when I was 5'8".  I'm pretty sure this extends to all facets of life from work on down.

Why is it erroneous?

Women choose taller men because taller people are - on average - more intelligent, more healthy, will earn more and are more fertile - all important factors in choosing a mate Wink

It's definitely not fair, but it's not erroneous...

Legolas
Advisor
MMT Member

Credibility 146

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2009, 05:36:38 AM »

Though there are exceptions to the rule, taller men generally have better dispositions. They aren’t as temperamental, or at least when it comes to physical size issues. They’re simply more comfortable with themselves. They have nothing to prove. They don’t have Napoleonic complexes. Their world was engineered with them in mind. They were genetically engineered to fit better in the world. Mannequins were modeled after them. The walk by storefront windows and voila, there is a tall mannequin dressed to the nines. They’re the same size. They walk into Porsche dealerships and test drive them. The seats were designed for them, as were the rearview and side mirrors and the seatbelt and the gas peddle and dash. They sit in deep leather chairs with the dealer, looking relaxed and polished. The chair was designed with them in mind as well. Everywhere they go feels like it was designed for them in mind. People respect them for their size. Women want to have sex with them, be impregnated by them, bear their offspring for them, marry them, if the women are lucky enough. Employers reward them. The world is their oyster, custom-fitted of course. On the blue nitrogen-rich planet in which they live, they are the alpha male of the dominant species. They are the demi-gods jutting up from a sea of hairy crowns. They are what god had in mind when he created Adam, the template-patriarch. There are the fortunate souls. They are the blessed ones. They are the 6’ males.
Legolas
Advisor
MMT Member

Credibility 146

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2009, 06:00:10 AM »

The edit option no longer works in my posts . . . it's template-patriarch, not template matriarch. Duh! I was probably thinking of Eve when I wrote it just now . . .
liuxialai
MMT Member

Credibility 2

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2009, 12:42:24 PM »

I believe that's partly because of the views of others. Tall guys usually get more respects from others although not always true. Most women definitely like tall guys. It's very strange but we guys have to learn to accept that. Fortunately there's LL in the world. But if you are really rich you won't need to worry about your height. I think none of the 10 most wealthiest men in the world is taller than 5'10". Correct me if I am wrong.
But 5'10" is still tall for me.
leonard
MMT Contributor

Credibility 18

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2009, 04:54:44 PM »

For starters: To put 5'7" guys and 5'10" guys in one basket is plain wrong. 5'7" you are still quite short and at 5'10" you are average or a hair over. Guys who have issues at 5'10" and don't live in the Netherlands or Montenegro have serious psychological issues in my opinion. At 5'7" in the western world lots of women in heels will be taller than you. A big number of males are  without any doubt taller than you. At 5'7" you will quite often be the shortest male in the room.  At 5'10" a minority of females in heels are taller or your height. 5'10-5'11" is a wonderful height. These 3 inches from 5'7" to 5'10" are huge. I believe even statistics on this site prove that many LL are within in the 5'7" range and go to 5'10"(tad over or under) and benefit the most in terms of social value.

And Porsche are surely not made for really tall guys. No sports car is.
oracle03
MMT Member

Credibility 8

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2009, 05:10:44 AM »

There are a few great points made on this thread that I'd like to add to:

If you're 5'7" - 5'10", you can get by with lifts:  True, but they have to come off sooner or later.  I dated a girl for about a month, wearing lifts most of the time.  She was surprised and commented on my height when we hung out barefoot.
Wearing lifts is a charade you can't sustain in a real relationship -- but they do help you get laid.  The 5'10.5" version of myself can attest to this.

Smaller guys are more temperamental:  I do get more easily irritated if a taller guy is rude to me, but I'm able to "act like a grownup" if someone shorter is rude to me.  And I do get annoyed if I'm hanging at a club and a group of tall guys moves in next to me.  Height is relative, even in small-scale social situations.

These 3 inches from 5'7" to 5'10" are huge: Somewhat true.  You are solidly average at 5'10".  Although, I'll anyone here who gains 3 inches will attest that it was worth the time and effort.  A guy going from 5'3" to 5'6" is huge as well.
oracle03
MMT Member

Credibility 8

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2009, 05:41:21 AM »

I think that another dynamic at play for 5'9" guys is that most of us were average or tall as kids and teens. I didn't become short until college, where guys were more affluent and generally taller than the poor people I grew up with.   
will59
Banned
Lurker

Credibility -12

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2009, 07:35:09 AM »

In my opinion, if you are at least 5'9" with good proportions you do NOT need LL at all, unless you plan on modeling or dating tall girls. I am about 5'9" but I have very bad proportions. I have a big head, short legs, broad shoulders, and a very narrow waist so me getting LL is really to improve my proportions, as my upper body is far bigger than my lower body... the height is just a bonus.
Black_Star
MMT Member

Credibility 7

« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2009, 10:40:56 AM »

I think that another dynamic at play for 5'9" guys is that most of us were average or tall as kids and teens. I didn't become short until college, where guys were more affluent and generally taller than the poor people I grew up with.   

That's very similar to my experience growing up, oracle, except that I became short in high school (maxing out at 5' 6" at 13). My family and friends expected me to be tall growing up and everyone treated me like I was intelligent, sociable, and attractive (I was the fifth tallest in my class). This reality remained true for me during high-school (went down to slightly shorter than average). During college (where I'm much shorter than average), that reality is still there, but it is a far cry as a relatively short person from what it once was as a relatively tall person.

One other note I'd like to add is that because of the nurturing and unofficial expectations, I constantly feel that my biology failed me, particularly as I go into child-psyc and read numerous books on puberty and what should happen to the body and how it is to grow. Alas, nobody explained to me how to grow and all that contributes to my personal anguish over my height.
jack0life
Handsome Mod
LL Hero
MMT Expert

Credibility 315

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2009, 11:30:08 PM »

There are a few great points made on this thread that I'd like to add to:

If you're 5'7" - 5'10", you can get by with lifts:  True, but they have to come off sooner or later.  I dated a girl for about a month, wearing lifts most of the time.  She was surprised and commented on my height when we hung out barefoot.
Wearing lifts is a charade you can't sustain in a real relationship -- but they do help you get laid.  The 5'10.5" version of myself can attest to this.

Smaller guys are more temperamental:  I do get more easily irritated if a taller guy is rude to me, but I'm able to "act like a grownup" if someone shorter is rude to me.  And I do get annoyed if I'm hanging at a club and a group of tall guys moves in next to me.  Height is relative, even in small-scale social situations.

These 3 inches from 5'7" to 5'10" are huge: Somewhat true.  You are solidly average at 5'10".  Although, I'll anyone here who gains 3 inches will attest that it was worth the time and effort.  A guy going from 5'3" to 5'6" is huge as well.

Speaking from someone who gone from barely over 5'2 to almost 5'6, I can surely attest to that.
My thought have always been that whenever a 5'3 guy meet somone, I can gaurantee that someone will think "man, thats a really short guy". That feeling have always irked me my whole life as I know its what they are thinking of me.
Now, at 5'6, the shortness factor isn't the predominate thought in their head.
Sure, you're still short by standard but its not a distraction like being at 5'3.
And then to go from 5'7 to 5'10, its another dramatic change.
Its going from short to average and height is not a distraction anymore.

Every cm was TORTURE.
Went from 158cm to 166cm in Beijing !!
SeventySeven
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2010, 10:28:53 PM »

Quote from: oracle03 link=topic=2916. msg33471#msg33471 date=1261374081
I think that another dynamic at play for 5'9" guys is that most of us were average or tall as kids and teens.  I didn't become short until college, where guys were more affluent and generally taller than the poor people I grew up with.    

This is the same for me.  I think I started puberty a little earlier then my peers and was above or average height from 10-15 then I started getting over taken and never caught up.  I noticed when I moved from middle school (in the part of England were I live we have lower, middle and upper school, starting at ages 4, 8 and 12 repectively for students) to upper school I noticed that people there treated me differently beacuse people from my middle school still had a memory of me being as tall or taller than them for a good portion of their school years.  By the end of upper school most boys were taller than me.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Make Me Taller! The world's number one elective leg lengthening site! Come here for information about LL, things to make you taller, how to get taller permanently, Ilizarov, Betzbone, Guichet Nail, PRECICE, height growth and other height related issues. This is the number one leg lengthening forum for height seekers and people trying to become taller. It was created and run by people who have actually done leg lengthening surgery (LL).

As a community site, MMT forum thrives on people's contributions, so please feel free to share your make me taller questions, videos, photos and experiences here in this leg lengthening forum. Make me taller is open to all, but please read the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) before posting as this will answer nearly all of your questions about getting taller through surgery. Please read our leg lengthening diaries too! We hope that you find this forum useful. Cheers, SysOp.