MMT Community
April 26, 2017, 02:10:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Support MMT Community
News: Welcome to Make Me Taller! This is the leading site for the discussion of Leg Lengthening on the Internet. Join now - the more you contribute, the more you will benefit from being part of our community - all are welcome.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: If you had a chance to be your perfect height, but live for 5 years less, would you take it?
Yes, of course!
No! No way.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Would you trade five years off your life to be your perfect height?!  (Read 68007 times)
Bar
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2009, 07:17:19 PM »

Definitely YES!
Without think twice...

Who Dares Wins
Magus
Lurker

Credibility 0

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2009, 07:25:32 PM »

Given my talks with a few friends I can say it's easy to argue that anybody willing to through cosmetic LL, which is not something to be taken lightly, has a mental sickness, you know. . .  After all, the biggest practical difference is likely to manifest itself in one's mind.  Where one should draw the line seems a bit burry.  It takes determination to go up against most people's common sense and embrace the idea of undergoing an expensive long drastic process, and determination that defies the collectivity. . .  well. . .

I do realize a gain in height alone won't make any miracles in overall life quality, but it is a very powerful physical - and indirectly psychological - enhancement nonetheless, especially if you value height particularly highly, which is my case (hearing talks about height especially in my childhood and teenage years had an impact for sure).

Having said all this, losing 5 years of my life like that would be truly a terrible price to pay, even if I managed to accept it with a heavy heart.
Magus
Lurker

Credibility 0

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2009, 07:30:32 PM »

I couldn't find the "Edit" button.  I meant "blurry", not "burry".  :P

Ah, and thanks, MMT.   :)
tesean
Lurker

Credibility -1

« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2009, 07:50:22 PM »

where do you get more info on this new procedure?Huh??
MMTA
Former Site Admin
LL Legend
MMT Expert

Credibility 1036

« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2009, 08:02:59 PM »

Okay, I'm going to really restrain myself from offending anyone, but it is clear to me from the YES responses that either you people have not taken the time to really self-reflect on yourself and life and the meaning of this question, or else there are a lot of people who need some SERIOUS psychiatric help.

You know, every intelligent thread that we create on this forum causes at least one troll to come and upset the party by going off-topic and getting all disrespectful.  Roll Eyes

Second, MMT, this whole 5 years question is extremely childish and stupid. For someone who is always proclaiming their sophistication and intelligence --I'm sorry, but it's rather immature. It's like one of those games adolescent boys play such as: would you do X to sleep with a supermodel?

Well, I'm awfully sorry, but someone like you calling me childish and stupid has given me the biggest laugh for a long time.

Firstly, there is nothing childish about the question. It was a straightforward and deliberately abstracted question designed to generate debate and deep thought, something that you seem to have misunderstood, which is no surprise as most of the conversation here clearly goes over your head - no pun intended.

You calling me stupid doesn't even need a response - my intellect and education trumps yours on every measure, so you're just being plain rude.

What I think that you were trying to say is that you don't agree, but your lack of intellect doesn't make it easy for you to see the difference between something that is stupid, and something that you do not agree with.

First of all, do any of you who answered "yes" plan on being parents? Have any of you ever lost parents, a child or loved ones? How's this question: what would you give to have them around for 5 more years? What's your answer jackass?

I'll ignore the use of bad language, because I guess that you cannot help yourself - it's a class thing.

But if you were more intelligent, you would realise that people who do LL already give up about five years of their lives. That is the subtle nuance of my question that the more intelligent members of the community have grasped, but you haven't.

The time that people spend researching, participating in this forum, weighing-up options, saving up the money needed, undergoing the procedure, recovering and returning to normal life can take years, as covered by MedStudent.

The second dimension, one that will be even more difficult for you to grasp, is that time alone means nothing - intelligent people understand that quality is more important.

To unpack that for you, Kidrobot, it means that whilst less intelligent, less-applied people are happy to lead a mediocre life, a deeply intelligent person would rather live 3 years close to perfection, than 5 years in unhappiness.

Legolas has explained this beautifully, although I suspect you'll find it hard to follow what he is saying Smiley

--but if you're willing to lose five years of your life over this then it means it has become some kind of holy grail, all consuming obsession that you think will suddenly solve all of your problems --guys it will not--

Who said that it would?  Huh?

This height obsession is preventing you from seeing things clearly. And by the way, the whole question is vague: lose 5 years? Which 5 years? At the tailend of your life? During you're twenties?

OK, Einstein, help to educate me here - how could you lose five years out of the middle of your life, exactly? Surely if you live for five years less, it would mean five years off the end of your life? Unless you're aware of some amazing new concept in Quantum Mechanics or Quantum Theory that I missed when doing my degree at Oxford?

MMT, I think your question was indeed revealing after all --some of you have a mental sickness.

How can my question reveal that people have 'a mental sickness' [sic]. (The correct expression would be mental illness).

Your response was more revealing than my answer - a small-minded person lacking in vision, intellect and vocabulary who is frightened of change, and incapable of deep, analytical thought.

It's just as well you're not a fan of LL - if you have problems with your life, it's not your height holding you back, but your mind Wink

It's interesting how the first people to call others stupid are always those lacking in intelligence themselves! Cheesy

Kidrobot
MMT Member

Credibility 7

« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2009, 08:24:02 PM »

Listen MMT, no need to be a spaz and call me a troll.

I didn't call you stupid, but I do think the question is --okay, so I disagree as you put it. I am interested in LL, I think it would be a form of "enhancement" and not something "transformational". I do think that's the best way of looking at it. In any case, YOU were the one who asked respondents to justify their NO responses and I obliged. Now you don't like my answer --live with it.

And there's no reason for making assumptions about my class or education level. You're wrong about the assumptions you made about me, but I'm not going to play the childish game of comparing university degrees, income levels, or social standing. You went to Oxford --good for you! You do a good job moderating this forum and I commend you for it. So just relax.

MMTA
Former Site Admin
LL Legend
MMT Expert

Credibility 1036

« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2009, 09:00:05 PM »

Listen MMT, no need to be a spaz and call me a troll.

Just like there was no need to suggest that me - and thousands of other people here in our community - have a mental sickness [sic].

And I'm not surprised that you don't want to compare education, income or social standing Wink

Just think before you type next time Wink

Frank
MMT Member

Credibility 4

« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2009, 09:45:24 PM »

I put yes. The reason I said yes was that I considered the alternate question:

Would I give up 7-8 cm of my current height so I could live 5 years longer?

The answer to that would be no and this helped me make my decision.

Another thing is the years would have to be lost at the end of my life i.e. when 70 years old. I think if you had to give up 5 years of your 20s or 30s then it would be a massive sacrifice.

Also, i have to accept that I am going to die at some point anyway; I don't have to accept being short, though.
lf
MMT Member

Credibility 6

« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2009, 01:20:01 AM »

I have voted YES, in spite of the fact that at my age, 52!!, loosing 5 years of life could mean wasting 20% of my remaining life. However, you can not evaluate life just by measuring its length, but by measuring how many happy moments and experiences you have lived. Life is important only is you LIVE it.
MMTA
Former Site Admin
LL Legend
MMT Expert

Credibility 1036

« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2009, 02:08:15 AM »

The voting is much more balanced than I thought - it's interesting that the community seems to be quite polarised around this issue...

jack0life
Handsome Mod
LL Hero
MMT Expert

Credibility 315

« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2009, 06:03:37 AM »

The majority are voting YES because everyone expects to live past 80.
5 yrs subtracted from sitting in your wheelchair doing basically nothing at 80+ is an easy YES.
If the life expectancy was ~60 the voting would have been different.
BTW, I voted YES.
When I'm older, I see myself enjoying life by traveling and playing golf on a regular basis.
Hard to see myself doing that once I'm past 75+ so its an easy yes for me.

Every cm was TORTURE.
Went from 158cm to 166cm in Beijing !!
Legolas
Advisor
MMT Member

Credibility 146

« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2009, 11:30:24 AM »

Reading [Kidrobot's] understanding of [leg-lengthening] in these instances is like being slathered in a thick coat of ignorant, and then being put out into the sun to dry out before a second coat is applied, which itself will be topped off by a sealant of complete and utter stupid, and lightly drizzled with a glistening varnish of epic fail.

I apologize for quoting something out of context, but I felt compelled to do so. Memory, what a strange beast, eh? For Whatever reason, Kidrobot triggered an eighteen-month-old memory yesterday. It was of something John Scalzi posted on his epic blog, Whatever. John was reacting to a rather troll-like character himself.

As a best-selling science fiction writer and Hugo award-winning blogger, Scalzi is especially learned in the subjects of free speech and intellectual property rights, just as MMT is especially learned in the subject of leg-lengthening and entrepreneurship. The trolls? Er, well, trolls are trolls. 

http://www.teamtechnology.co.uk/troll.htm   

Psycho Trolls: These trolls have an unconscious psychological need to feel good by making others feel bad. Such people may use their real names on the internet, and they may not even realise that they are "trolling".

So, in reality, Kidrobot is the one with a "mental sickness," the one who really needs "some SERIOUS psychiatric help."

Cribnote to Kidrobot: Entrepreneurship is the act of being an entrepreneur, which is a French word meaning "one who undertakes an endeavor".

Kidrobot, are you endeavoring to be a troll, or is this your natural personality? Because if this is you, then don't walk, run, dear boy, run to the nearest psychiatric clinic and get yourself a nice cereal-bowl size bottle of anti-troll pills. Just be careful not to confuse them with the Froot Loops, though. And don't mix them with your medication for color blindness. Monochromacy, is it?

PS, this post was posted in rainbow-colored fonts, Kidrobot.

You can't see it if you can't perceive it.

http://whatever.scalzi.com/2008/07/25/another-entry-in-the-annals-of-people-who-havent-the-slightest-idea-what-theyre-saying/

MMTA
Former Site Admin
LL Legend
MMT Expert

Credibility 1036

« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2009, 12:34:26 PM »

When I'm older, I see myself enjoying life by traveling and playing golf on a regular basis.
Hard to see myself doing that once I'm past 75+ so its an easy yes for me.

Couldn't agree more, Jack0life!

GrownGrowth
MMT Member

Credibility 6

Emancipate yourself from mental slavery.

« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2009, 07:24:01 PM »

Of course. An abundance of Quality is more important than a relatively small Quantity.

Plus, you can easily make up for it with the simplest of anti aging techniques. And, the anti aging "miracle pills" would surely be available in time if this height biotech was already. 

MMT, if there is a legit study on this you should stop holding back and link already. But, maybe you just like stimulating discussion.
MMTA
Former Site Admin
LL Legend
MMT Expert

Credibility 1036

« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2009, 10:11:36 PM »

MMT, if there is a legit study on this you should stop holding back and link already. But, maybe you just like stimulating discussion.

There's nothing worth sharing yet - even the most bullish in the group reckon that the solution is at least 25 years away...

GrownGrowth
MMT Member

Credibility 6

« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2009, 12:12:21 AM »

There's nothing worth sharing yet - even the most bullish in the group reckon that the solution is at least 25 years away...

25 years is far less than even half a blink in history. Granted, nobody here in the right mind would postpone LL that long for it. This point aside, I still don't see why you hold back from posting it. It at least adds something interesting to the pile. Plus, many of us will be alive a well in 25 years and may want some icing on our LL cake.

Bulls and Bears are irrelevant. It either works or it doesn't.

Propagating information can only lead to a better chance at alerting scientific and industrial cooperation - potentially expediting the answer to the question of efficacy. Remember, you have plenty of lurkers that could be underestimated.
MMTA
Former Site Admin
LL Legend
MMT Expert

Credibility 1036

« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2009, 12:33:46 AM »

This point aside, I still don't see why you hold back from posting it.

That would be a little thing called a Non Disclosure Agreement!

alpine.star
MMT Member

Credibility 3

« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2009, 01:12:36 AM »

It was an easy yes for me; 5 years of "elderly aged living" is too easy a price to pay. In other words, it would be a done deal if someone offered this to me.
GrownGrowth
MMT Member

Credibility 6

« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2009, 03:18:18 AM »

That would be a little thing called a Non Disclosure Agreement!

Interesting that you are engaging in NDAs regarding this type of thing, especially considering your stage of LL, the inability to put it in your book for example, and some past commentary on the future of height enhancement.

I suppose the only other harmless and innocent public inquiry that would be appropriate and might be interesting for this thread is to inquire:
What is the general profession, and relative scientific field(s) (this could come from several creative angles), of those that you know of who hold the IP and/or that are under NDA?

Cheers
MMTA
Former Site Admin
LL Legend
MMT Expert

Credibility 1036

« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2009, 04:02:15 AM »

Interesting that you are engaging in NDAs regarding this type of thing, especially considering your stage of LL, the inability to put it in your book for example, and some past commentary on the future of height enhancement.

Why so?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Make Me Taller! The world's number one elective leg lengthening site! Come here for information about LL, things to make you taller, how to get taller permanently, Ilizarov, Betzbone, Guichet Nail, PRECICE, height growth and other height related issues. This is the number one leg lengthening forum for height seekers and people trying to become taller. It was created and run by people who have actually done leg lengthening surgery (LL).

As a community site, MMT forum thrives on people's contributions, so please feel free to share your make me taller questions, videos, photos and experiences here in this leg lengthening forum. Make me taller is open to all, but please read the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) before posting as this will answer nearly all of your questions about getting taller through surgery. Please read our leg lengthening diaries too! We hope that you find this forum useful. Cheers, SysOp.