MMT Community
May 22, 2018, 03:38:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SysOp is not here to make friends - he is here to keep this forum running smoothly and make sure that it stays the most informative site about LL in the world.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: If you had a chance to be your perfect height, but live for 5 years less, would you take it?
Yes, of course!
No! No way.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Would you trade five years off your life to be your perfect height?!  (Read 86453 times)
MMTA
Former Site Admin
Administrator
MMT Expert

Credibility 1036

« Reply #60 on: December 06, 2009, 02:51:11 AM »

Dude, have you even read the tread?

We aren't talking about having or not LL, we are talking about some wandering procedure (some kind of pill) that could give you your perfect height without pain, but making you loose 5 years of your life.

You don't need to ask why his credibility is so low when he makes posts like that  Grin

BizzyBoy
MMT Member

Credibility -4

« Reply #61 on: December 10, 2009, 10:29:14 AM »

I voted no because not all people live long (depending on health issues genetics,environment,eating habits,etc) and to tell you the truth five years just to be 6'2 (my perfect height) isn't worth it I was hesistant at first when I saw that LL may take 6 months of recovery.  So imagine 5 years.
Michael
« Reply #62 on: February 04, 2010, 04:01:24 AM »

Definitely YES!
Without think twice...
scormus
MMT Member

Credibility 2

« Reply #63 on: February 04, 2010, 05:44:47 AM »

The answer to this is a function of your starting height.

If you start at 173, then the ideal male height of approx. 180 is just one LL away and my answer would be no.

If you start at 165, then absolutely I would swap 5 years of my life as getting to 180 is two LL's.

The Curious Case of Benjamin's Femurs

Benjamin: They said I was gonna stay short all my life but - maybe not.

+7.5 cm
upinthesky
LL Veteran
MMT Adviser

Credibility 92

« Reply #64 on: February 05, 2010, 10:32:34 PM »

Actually my plan is becoming famous and die when I'm 27, so why not?   Grin

Starting Height: 165 cm
Final Height: 172 cm

Date of Surgery: January 6th, 2014
Started Lengthening: January 11th, 2014
Started Walking Again: March 21st, 2014
From Surgery to Walking: 75 days

Lengthened 7 cm with Dr.Muharrem Inan in Istanbul, Turkey with the Fitbone Internal Method.
takuya
Lurker

Credibility 0

« Reply #65 on: February 06, 2010, 03:13:22 AM »

living that long with a short stature is meaningless for me.
55wannabe58
Banned
Lurker

Credibility -5

« Reply #66 on: February 22, 2010, 04:28:33 AM »

Yes, to be 6'2 I would gladly trade 5 years.

I'm willing to trade 2 years for LL to become 5'9.
six-one-dream
MMT Member

Credibility -5

« Reply #67 on: May 06, 2010, 10:01:05 AM »

No, I wouldn't trade any of my time. Life is too valuable and statistically I am already tall enough. If I were shorter, I would have moved to Japan before trading years of my life for something so superficial. I'd rather devote my time to something that matters, like becoming a doctor and helping others. While it is true that you lose time doing LL, you can still enjoy simple things like the sun, or nature, or a hug from the people that matter.

P.S. There is one big flaw in the set up -- it is a valid trade-off only presuming that one would die of natural causes.
jay7
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 64

« Reply #68 on: May 06, 2010, 01:04:52 PM »

Interesting question...

- I agree that the answer is probably a function of starting height. I said yes on the poll; however, if the choice to have LL is also a valid alternative I would rather go with LL than aging 7.2% faster than people around me.
I would however still say yes if LL would not be available since quality of life would be more important to me then quantity. In addition, aging 7.2% faster is not really such a big issue, your biological age with 50 would be 53.6... so what? Don't smoke and do sports and noone will notice...;-)

- Comparing "loosing 5 years of your life" with "loosing 2 years of life" through LL - as some here do - is hardly understandable to me. You don't loose any lifetime through LL. You just have a lower quality of life for maybe 2 years (if your inability to play football in year 2 really means lower quality to you...). But the part of really meaningfull decrease in quality is limited to a couple of month... (Actually the guy I met at Guichet's place went out for drinks, dinner, had sex, etc. DURING lengthening. He basically was as disabled as someone with a broken leg on croutches... Absolutely able to enjoy most aspects of life. And even if you have a really hard time: The way is the goal - accept it as part of the challenge of life and try to enjoy it. Don't compare it to death)

- Would be interesting to hear about this treatment... Is this supposed to work on adults? Well, I assume this NDA doesn't expire that quickly... ;-)
pangeh
n00b

Credibility 2

« Reply #69 on: May 15, 2010, 07:10:43 PM »

I voted yes. 

The height would serve a much better quality of life.  I imagined a perfect height would be like living in
a different world where everyone treats you differently. 
Still 5 years is a long time to be missing out in life, but it's better than
living that last 5 years as unhappy old man. 

Interesting to see how much people are willing to give up for height.  Lucky are those who was born
with the gene pool. 
VisionQuest
MMT Member

Credibility 3

« Reply #70 on: May 25, 2010, 10:55:09 PM »

A pretty easy yes for me and I'm going to tell you why.

- I'm all about quality vs quantity.   Quality of life is far more important than how long you live.   What makes life most satisfying is not money or anything like that, but what you do and how you feel in the end.   I'm not saying that one can't live a happy and furfilling life short, but I'm going to give you reasons why the perfect ideal height of yourself might be worth that 5 years.

- Confidence; Never feeling like height is holding you back from doing something
- The probable increase of sexual partners  Wink
- Instant respect from peers
- Never being discriminated against for being short and never having your height as a     disadvantage cross your mind again
- Better fit into any clothes you decide to wear
- < Insert any other reason that brought you to this site and why you wish to be taller >

*Random Thoughts*
- In the end it all comes down to confidence.   I believe this is the greatest reason people decide to undergo LL.   To have this confidence in themself and the way other people view and treat them.   Imagine if Obama was 5'3 would we still view him the same way?  It's no doubt that people will take shots at his height and this would hurt his confidence to some degree.
- Height shouldn't matter and unfortunately it does.   I believe the reason it does is because of women.   Imagine if women preferred shorter men; then what would probably occur is men would try to become shorter.   Perhaps there would be a MMS forum.   Shorter people would be all over the media and shorter men would have more respect among their peers because everyone understands that shorter men have a higher social status with women. 
Now if height truly didn't matter to women then I firmly believe height wouldn't matter in society.   In public it would be perfectly normal to see couples in which the women was taller.   Height in acting/modeling for both sexes would come in all shapes and sizes and hieght would be the last thing on anybody's mind.
plastikman
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« Reply #71 on: May 26, 2010, 02:50:46 PM »

Well,you know what they say:One year of love is better than a life time alone... Smiley
nelson7550
MMT Member

Credibility -1

« Reply #72 on: May 28, 2010, 06:33:46 PM »

I agree with most people here, in that quality is better than quantity.  Having a long life, and  being held back by your height is a lot worse than having the ideal height while losing  5 years of your life.  I think it is definitely worth the cost. 
anonymous coward
« Reply #73 on: August 12, 2010, 05:22:31 PM »

5 years is no biggy, as long as the rest of my life is healthy. Smoking, junk food,lack of exercise, would also shorten life expectancy. So I'd just add a bit more healthy habits than the average person and make up for those 5 years.
Auir
n00b

Credibility 0

« Reply #74 on: December 24, 2010, 01:42:55 PM »

I would definitely trade 5 years!
If only this was true though  :(
teewoods
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« Reply #75 on: January 13, 2011, 05:39:19 AM »

Quote from: MMT Admin link=topic=2985. msg32703#msg32703 date=1259122312
Why did the people who voted no vote no? Share your thoughts, please!

Any of you guys ever met a tall man dying of cancer? Offer him 5 extra years and the loss of 12cm he would jump at it with all this life! Many here are young or at best middle aged with no kids and I can tell judging from the response and quality of the posts.  Wait till you have a family and people who rely on you.  The flaw in many peoples thinking is that they assume you are going to live to ripe old age.  Wrong! You could be gone by  50, are you telling me you would rather be gone at 45 and have your ideal height than 50 and not your ideal height? You tell me you would rather leave your loved ones much earlier than it should be because you wanted your ideal height? Forget the pain and anguish they would go through.   I'd  rather be short or look like a freak with bad proportions and be with my family than leave them 5years sooner.  I have seen how precious life can be from my years at the front line in Iraq/Afghanistan, how people with legs blown off happy just to be alive.  Comrades disfigured with burnt faces in wheel chairs just happy to make it home and be with their loved ones.  The irony would be that in many years to come some of you who said I don't care about 5 years would come to realise how wrong you were.  Lets just hope you have not tempted faith.
TallManComing
MMT Member

Credibility -2

« Reply #76 on: January 15, 2011, 01:00:23 PM »

Any of you guys ever met a tall man dying of cancer? Offer him 5 extra years and the loss of 12cm he would jump at it with all this life! Many here are young or at best middle aged with no kids and I can tell judging from the response and quality of the posts.  Wait till you have a family and people who rely on you.  The flaw in many peoples thinking is that they assume you are going to live to ripe old age.  Wrong! You could be gone by  50, are you telling me you would rather be gone at 45 and have your ideal height than 50 and not your ideal height? You tell me you would rather leave your loved ones much earlier than it should be because you wanted your ideal height? Forget the pain and anguish they would go through.   I'd  rather be short or look like a freak with bad proportions and be with my family than leave them 5years sooner.  I have seen how precious life can be from my years at the front line in Iraq/Afghanistan, how people with legs blown off happy just to be alive.  Comrades disfigured with burnt faces in wheel chairs just happy to make it home and be with their loved ones.  The irony would be that in many years to come some of you who said I don't care about 5 years would come to realise how wrong you were.  Lets just hope you have not tempted faith.

I agree. Life is precious.

Many on this forum have never had to face their own mortality. Death. It's a terrifying experience...

I would much rather just do LL and deal with some pain and lack of mobility than take a magic pill and lose 5 years of life.
ibanato
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« Reply #77 on: January 16, 2011, 08:31:48 AM »

Yes, why not.  It's the quality and not the quantity, anyway.  If you've been a good person before,  and you're trading 5 years, maybe it's already a life worth living.  I mean, I know that life's precious and there are people who die in other war-torn places, but you're doing it for your personal happiness, anyway, and I think it will really help make things much better after you do some lengthening.  Just imagine doing the things you didn't get to do before.  That's a life worth living, even if it's cut short. 
TallManComing
MMT Member

Credibility -2

« Reply #78 on: January 16, 2011, 08:09:34 PM »

Yes, why not.  It's the quality and not the quantity, anyway.  If you've been a good person before,  and you're trading 5 years, maybe it's already a life worth living.  I mean, I know that life's precious and there are people who die in other war-torn places, but you're doing it for your personal happiness, anyway, and I think it will really help make things much better after you do some lengthening.  Just imagine doing the things you didn't get to do before.  That's a life worth living, even if it's cut short. 

You better hope you never get cancer. I assure you... you will take back those words.
ibanato
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« Reply #79 on: January 17, 2011, 05:57:58 AM »

Quote from: TallManComing link=topic=2985. msg41292#msg41292 date=1295208574
You better hope you never get cancer.  I assure you. . .  you will take back those words.

It's not that I'm downplaying cancer.  What's offensive with what I said? I know how tough life can be but what I'm saying is you're doing it for your personal happiness.  Everything has risks, even cosmetic surgeries, but what you're doing is fighting for what you want - I mean, there are no guarantees in life, even if you live 90 years old or 100 - so? Does that mean you have a more meaningful life than others? It's how
you became a good person to others, not how long you lived your life. 
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Make Me Taller! The world's number one elective leg lengthening site! Come here for information about LL, things to make you taller, how to get taller permanently, Ilizarov, Betzbone, Guichet Nail, PRECICE, height growth and other height related issues. This is the number one leg lengthening forum for height seekers and people trying to become taller. It was created and run by people who have actually done leg lengthening surgery (LL).

As a community site, MMT forum thrives on people's contributions, so please feel free to share your make me taller questions, videos, photos and experiences here in this leg lengthening forum. Make me taller is open to all, but please read the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) before posting as this will answer nearly all of your questions about getting taller through surgery. Please read our leg lengthening diaries too! We hope that you find this forum useful. Cheers, SysOp.