MMT Community
November 19, 2017, 12:02:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Support MMT Community
News: Words of wisdom from SysOp:
"Height is like money. It is insignificant only to those who have plenty of it." Tongue

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: If you had a chance to be your perfect height, but live for 5 years less, would you take it?
Yes, of course!
No! No way.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Would you trade five years off your life to be your perfect height?!  (Read 77084 times)
MMTA
Former Site Admin
Administrator
MMT Expert

Credibility 1036

« on: November 25, 2009, 01:22:17 AM »

Greetings, Height Seekers Anonymous!

I hope that you are all well. Welcome to an interesting twist on some of our earlier discussions...

Imagine this: Some doctors have developed a pain-free, 100% reliable way of making you taller by growing your body all over so that you can reach your perfect height with no complications, proportions problems or risks.

However, there is one major downside - it will take five (5) years off your life because it will have accelerated your body's regrowth cycles to the point that the average person will live 7.2% less than they would have, because your body will age 7.2% faster - This equates to roughly five years off the life expectancy for the average person person in the developed world.

Would you do it? Vote, but please also tell us why you have chosen the option that you have, and whether or not you would encourage further research by this team of doctors.

Can't wait to see how people react to this one!  Grin

Cheers, MMT

Legolas
Advisor
MMT Member

Credibility 146

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 01:59:14 AM »

Even at 41 years old, I'd jump at the opportunity in a heartbeat.
MMTA
Former Site Admin
Administrator
MMT Expert

Credibility 1036

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 02:01:54 AM »

Interesting - thanks for voting!

Magus
Lurker

Credibility 0

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 02:19:55 AM »

It's a very disturbing scenario, but I believe I would go through with it.  A 6-cm height increase would position me a bit above a very good portion of the taller men I see on the streets, and this is very much an issue for me.  I've read the average height of young men in Brazil is 1. 75m nowadays, and it makes sense to me, given my observations.  If I could be some 15 cm taller while keeping proportions, I'd be very satisfied.  The hypothetical decision of giving up 5 years of my life is[ deeply disturbing though.

PS: In case you wonder, I 'think' I'm 1. 77m, after a number of self-measurements without wearing shoes.  I'm not shorter than 1. 76m for sure.  I intend to have a consultation with Dr.  Renato Slomka in Porto Alegre, Brazil after I'm done with my current predicament in life (master's. . . ), to help decide if it makes sense to go through the treatment over here - otherwise I like the Prof.  Xia prospect (more economically sound than going with Dr.  Betz for sure, and I haven't taken the time to analyze other possibilities yet).  In any case, money is blocking me nowadays, and it will be at least a few years before I can take the plunge.  Meanwhile I go to the gym 4-5 days a week in an attempt to have a body I may find otherwise good.  I'm 26 and have graduated in Computer Science, BTW.

PS#2: I don't think making this introduction post on this thread was the best move, but I got in the spirit.  o_o'
MMTA
Former Site Admin
Administrator
MMT Expert

Credibility 1036

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 02:46:04 AM »

It's a very disturbing scenario, but I believe I would go through with it.  A 6-cm height increase would position me a bit above a very good portion of the taller men I see on the streets, and this is very much an issue for me.  I've read the average height of young men in Brazil is 1. 75m nowadays, and it makes sense to me, given my observations.  If I could be some 15 cm taller while keeping proportions, I'd be very satisfied.  The hypothetical decision of giving up 5 years of my life is[ deeply disturbing though.

Welcome - a very interesting first post! Smiley

MMTA
Former Site Admin
Administrator
MMT Expert

Credibility 1036

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 04:11:52 AM »

Why did the people who voted no vote no? Share your thoughts, please!

midget
MMT Member

Credibility 5

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2009, 04:32:34 AM »

I voted NO mainly due to the simple fact that life is already far too short. No pun intended. I want as much time as possible to share my life, love and experiences with all those I care about and missing out on 5yrs of that would be pretty damned sad Sad. Id rather stay 5'5" and be happy, healthy and in love than be 5'11" and dead 5yrs sooner. 2yrs however, mmmmmm. Maybe then. Very tempting. Defenitely not 5yrs though.

Midget
NoTanAlto2
LL Patient
MMT Member

Credibility 2

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2009, 05:04:37 AM »

I voted No.

Life goes by so fast and, before you know it, you will be begging for those last five years.
Then again, one or two years MAY be a different story bc you are essentially using those years anyway to recuperate 100% from LL....so maybe I'd give up two years. I just cant bare the thought of actually trading 5 years of my life to be 6 feet....never know though I may have different thoughts about it if the opportunity actually came up lol.  Undecided
MedStudent
LL Trooper
MMT Member

Credibility 28

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2009, 05:11:20 AM »

this is a very interesting question!...i voted YES...because when u do LL, your taking 2 years off your life anyways taking into account recovery and just getting back to normal life mode. Caz u gotta wait 12-18 months to remove the internal rod (if applicable)..So i look at it as trading only 3 years. In addition, you reach your "perfect" height with no proportion problems, and it would be free...Some ppl spend 1 year just to save up for LL...
galaxystar
MMT Contributor

Credibility 30

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2009, 05:28:59 AM »

Since my grandparents have all survived into their late eighties and early nineties, five years of life would really seem very miniscule. Smiley

Apotheosis
International Underwear Model :P
LL Legend
MMT Expert

Credibility 387

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2009, 06:09:37 AM »

I voted no because I agree with the argument that life is too short, and five years is too much time to give up.

When we are young, we waste a lot of our lives on frivolous things, and when we are older, life is a gift that is cherished more the closer we get to the end of it. Five years is a lot of living to give away. Even while going through the pain of leg lengthening and the instability of consolidating, we are each still able to live our our day-to-day lives to one degree or another.

LL patients have to trade a few months of time away from friends and families to attain our height goals, but even while away from home, each patient is still alive and able to pursue friendships, relationships and experiences. To me, that's what living is all about, and I wouldn't trade a moment of that to be taller. I plan to take on the challenge of LL as a part of the arc of experiences in my life, to be enjoyed and reviled just as much as any triumph after overcoming a difficult experience.

My personal apotheosis to the very best me I can be. Starting height: 171 cm. 9.5+ cm added to femurs. 10.5+ cm added to tibias. Final Height: 189.5 cm +/-

My femur diary: http://www.makemetaller.org/index.php/topic,3530.0.html
My tibia diary: http://www.makemetaller.org/index.php/topic,4202.0.h
Legolas
Advisor
MMT Member

Credibility 146

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2009, 07:07:22 AM »

Second Life

Well, if younger ellers could see the arc of their life in a single vision -- a glimpse into their future, like a medicine man -- then perhaps the decision would be rather straightforward. Personally I think it would be one of the easiest decisions of their relatively short life. I have forty-one memory-packed years in which to look back upon and draw what-ifs in my mind. I can go back to the summer before university, to the coast-to-coast motorcycle ride with my best friend, Mark. Mark, the 185 cm blonde-hair blue-eyed son of an Englishman (and from a long line of doctors, dating back to the 1800s) with a professional surferís physique, the insecure high school who used to fret about his long skinny legs, the university stud who took over my fraternity in the third year. My other best friend, Morgan -- tall, dark-haired, sweet-talking lady killer. I have thousands, tens of thousands, of memories twirling about in my head like dust devils.

My short life contrasted against their tall life.

I search through my memories on a regular basis. I donít harp on them or anything crazy like that. Theyíre like comfort food. I go surfing through my memories whenever they break like waves against the shoals of my frontal lobe. Some memories are triggered, like waves from a passing a freight; some are pulled up from the depths like slipstreams of a rising whale (the big bad skeleton in your closet). I go deep with my high school memories in 80s, shallow with my writing life in Northeast Asia in the 00s. I can create a stacking queue of height-related memories with just Mark: a) Mark getting picked up in bars by long-legged lookers b) Mark on his 700cc motorcycle, looking like it was custom made for him c) Mark getting the promotion at 27 d) Mark getting another promotion at 30, then at 33. I can regress back into my memories and remember the circumstances around Markís first life-changing and career-making promotion. It was the culmination of having lived twenty-seven years as an alpha male. I know. I was there. I was the short guy looking up.

Looking back over the years, I canít believe how much easier it was for him and others like him. Things just plopped into his lap, year after year. He wasnít the smartest kid in the class because he didnít have to be. He could just be whatever it was that those around him were projecting up onto him. In many ways he was like those big whitewashed screens at the drive-in theatre. You could project whatever you wanted onto it, and itíd look big.

Again, I donít dwell in the past. Iím just making a point. The point: height matters. I have decades of examples twirling about in my head. But, again, I donít dwell. I simply use certain memories as way points, markers in my life. Older people have more perspective. Theyíve lived more, accumulated my life experience, been there, done that. Thus, in regard to MMTís question, it would be easier for older people to take such leaps of faith as having radical surgeries in far away places. Heck, John Scalzi wrote a SF series on the subject. John Scalziís Old Manís War. We, the old men and women, just wish weíd such options way back when. Hmm,

Shorter life but tall
or
Longer life but short?

Youíd think those closer to the end of their life than the beginning would not even consider such a thing. Messing around with lifelines, with bones, your frickín skeleton!? Forget about it, right? But youíd be dead wrong to think such a thing, because post-LL life marks a new beginning, a second chance at reaching for things that were once out of reach.

What was once unreachable is now within reach.
[/i]

A second life, the stuff of good science fiction.

Thriving-Floret
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2009, 07:54:45 AM »

Yes!

Truly life is short. I agree with MedStudent that LL would pretty much take 2years of your life..
Yet, after LL you'll be able to have an exhilarating life with much more confidence and enjoyment.
So it's the QUALITY of life rather than the Quantity. It's better to live a short full life than a long miserable or depressing life!
Smile-Always
Lurker

Credibility 0

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2009, 08:05:00 AM »

Yes!
M-Tel
Lurker

Credibility -1

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2009, 09:42:30 AM »

my answer is YES

life is short, thats right so better live it as happy as i can and nothing can make me happier more than a little 10cm of height.
another point is that i believe i will die when my day has come and not 5 years earlier.

i wish this solution will be on market in my country, and not very expensive, otherwise it will be just another pain for me to know about another unreachable solution.

good luck to the doctor's team
SoleBaje
MMT Member

Credibility 6

« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2009, 11:06:32 AM »

Yes!

Truly life is short. I agree with MedStudent that LL would pretty much take 2years of your life..
Yet, after LL you'll be able to have an exhilarating life with much more confidence and enjoyment.
So it's the QUALITY of life rather than the Quantity. It's better to live a short full life than a long miserable or depressing life!

IDEM. Quality over quantity, anyday...no..EVERYday.
upinthesky
LL Veteran
MMT Adviser

Credibility 92

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2009, 11:29:33 AM »

Yes!

5 years will be taken from my last days anyway - hopefully when I'm old - and I don't want to live so much because I don't like the idea of getting old. I just want to live a good, quality life - whether it's long or short.

Starting Height: 165 cm
Final Height: 172 cm

Date of Surgery: January 6th, 2014
Started Lengthening: January 11th, 2014
Started Walking Again: March 21st, 2014
From Surgery to Walking: 75 days

Lengthened 7 cm with Dr.Muharrem Inan in Istanbul, Turkey with the Fitbone Internal Method.
MMTA
Former Site Admin
Administrator
MMT Expert

Credibility 1036

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2009, 12:16:43 PM »

Perhaps this helps us to understand who really wants to be taller, versus those for whom it would be a nice to have?

Chri123
LL Patient
MMT Member

Credibility 16

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2009, 06:15:51 PM »

I think 5 is too easy, I'd trade 20 years.
Kidrobot
MMT Member

Credibility 7

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2009, 06:18:01 PM »

Perhaps this helps us to understand who really wants to be taller, versus those for whom it would be a nice to have?

Okay, I'm going to really restrain myself from offending anyone, but it is clear to me from the YES responses that either you people have not taken the time to really self-reflect on yourself and life and the meaning of this question, or else there are a lot of people who need some SERIOUS psychiatric help.

FIrst, it is pretty clear to me that some of you need help which has nothing to do with your height. I don't want to single anyone out but there's a lot of body dysmorphia, height neurosis and self-hatred demonstrated by many of you--a lot of the problems in life some of you have will NOT be solved through LL, your problems run much deeper.  

Second, MMT, this whole 5 years question is extremely childish and stupid. For someone who is always proclaiming their sophistication and intelligence --I'm sorry, but it's rather immature. It's like one of those games adolescent boys play such as: would you do X to sleep with a supermodel?

First of all, do any of you who answered "yes" plan on being parents? Have any of you ever lost parents, a child or loved ones? How's this question: what would you give to have them around for 5 more years? What's your answer jackass?

And Medstudent, I seriously hope you're not a real medstudent(God save your future patients) because your comment about losing 2 years of your life because you're undergoing LL is ridiculous! Okay, so you may not be able to walk, but you're still alive! You can still read books, enjoy art, movies, music, food, the company of your friends and loved ones, mastering all kinds of new skills --I guess people in wheel chairs might as well just be dead because they have limited mobility all their lives.

So MMT, I'll answer your question about why I answered NO. Yes, height is important, yes it can make a personal difference in how you feel about yourself --but if you're willing to lose five years of your life over this then it means it has become some kind of holy grail, all consuming obsession that you think will suddenly solve all of your problems --guys it will not--and it also means that you are not paying attention to all the wonderful things life does have to offer. This height obsession is preventing you from seeing things clearly. And by the way, the whole question is vague: lose 5 years? Which 5 years? At the tailend of your life? During you're twenties?

MMT, I think your question was indeed revealing after all --some of you have a mental sickness.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Make Me Taller! The world's number one elective leg lengthening site! Come here for information about LL, things to make you taller, how to get taller permanently, Ilizarov, Betzbone, Guichet Nail, PRECICE, height growth and other height related issues. This is the number one leg lengthening forum for height seekers and people trying to become taller. It was created and run by people who have actually done leg lengthening surgery (LL).

As a community site, MMT forum thrives on people's contributions, so please feel free to share your make me taller questions, videos, photos and experiences here in this leg lengthening forum. Make me taller is open to all, but please read the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) before posting as this will answer nearly all of your questions about getting taller through surgery. Please read our leg lengthening diaries too! We hope that you find this forum useful. Cheers, SysOp.