MMT Community
December 11, 2017, 11:36:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Support MMT Community
News: ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS! Please make sure that you only post general questions on the 'General Questions' board or you'll get a lot of flames - and make sure you read the FAQs and DIARIES first Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Consultation in betzinstitute Germany  (Read 16444 times)
Tan
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« on: February 22, 2010, 11:37:49 AM »

Hi all

I am currently arranging a date of consultation with Dr Betz for bow leg correction surgery, it's looking like i will be heading over in March or early April! Smiley

I would be grateful if anyone can give me some information on accommodation and transport ect...to make travel easy!!!!!! i don't have a word of German and traveling alone so any info would be a great help! also trying to keep cost down as i've been quoted 400 euro for the consultation Shocked

I have looked over tdots diary and he gave details on the train and bus, but if anyone has anything else to add please let me know..

Thanks in advance
Tan
TopShelf
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 05:24:35 PM »

Just email his office and they will have a driver there to pick you up at the airport and bring you to the Park Hotel probably (they will even book that for you).
hanzomon
MMT Member

Credibility 5

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 06:22:32 PM »

Just remember if you take the Deutsche Bahn trains, that the timetable in Germany is PRECISE.  I mistakenly hopped on a transfer train because it arrived just 60-90 seconds before the scheduled train. . .  and showed up for my appointment several hours late!

Apotheosis
International Underwear Model :P
LL Legend
MMT Expert

Credibility 387

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 06:54:13 PM »

I put the directions into Google Maps at home, printed out the directions, and then rented a car and drove to Dr. Betz's office from Frankfurt Airport. It was peaceful driving through the German countryside and it was nice to have the freedom to stop at my leisure and get lunch. Almost everyone speaks English, so not speaking German wasn't a problem.

I'd recommend driving, as long as you don't have a problem following directions that say, "Head east on Ankunftbogen toward Abflugbogen" or taking exits that lead to Bingen/Mainz/Wiesbaden/Rüsselsheim or Kaiserslautern/Ludwigshafen/Alzey. Smiley

My personal apotheosis to the very best me I can be. Starting height: 171 cm. 9.5+ cm added to femurs. 10.5+ cm added to tibias. Final Height: 189.5 cm +/-

My femur diary: http://www.makemetaller.org/index.php/topic,3530.0.html
My tibia diary: http://www.makemetaller.org/index.php/topic,4202.0.h
Tan
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 03:10:57 PM »

Thanks for the replies Wink

I have consultation scheduled for the 22nd March and flights booked as of today!!

I'm thinking of hiring a car but a bit feeling a little nervous of driving on the other side of the road Undecided

Can't wait now i just hope all goes well....

Tan
174cm
LL Hero
MMT Adviser

Credibility 114

Read the FAQs before you POST or it is SPAM!

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 05:48:49 PM »

Thanks for the replies Wink

I have consultation scheduled for the 22nd March and flights booked as of today!!

I'm thinking of hiring a car but a bit feeling a little nervous of driving on the other side of the road Undecided

Can't wait now i just hope all goes well....

Tan

Very good preparation.. I wish you all the best with your LL dream.

AV8R
n00b

Credibility 0

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 06:19:54 PM »

I was unable to find anything on the Betz Institute's web site about bowed leg correction.   All I can find is info on LL.   Do you know what kind of history they have with leg deformity correction?

Apotheosis
International Underwear Model :P
LL Legend
MMT Expert

Credibility 387

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 08:48:49 PM »

I personally met a patient who had surgery to correct the deformity of one leg being longer than the other, so I know he does some types of deformity correction.

I would send Dr. Betz an email with specific information about the type of deformity you would like fixed, and I'm sure he will give you a cursory explanation of how he would fix it. Ultimately though, you will have to go there for a consultation where you have x-rays done of your legs and have them examined in person. You may be able to have x-rays done locally, and send them to him prior to a full examination, but you would have to ask him about that.

My personal apotheosis to the very best me I can be. Starting height: 171 cm. 9.5+ cm added to femurs. 10.5+ cm added to tibias. Final Height: 189.5 cm +/-

My femur diary: http://www.makemetaller.org/index.php/topic,3530.0.html
My tibia diary: http://www.makemetaller.org/index.php/topic,4202.0.h
Tan
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 08:46:54 PM »

There is not much on the site about bowleg correction but it does say that they do carry out this procedure and other deformities.

your best bet would be ringing or emailing them and Yvonne can help you with any questions you have.

I am heading over to have a consultation with x rays then i will know exactly what can be done for me!. I also want to get a feel for the place ect... before i decided to go ahead with surgery. I am just hoping everything goes the way i want!!!!! maybe i'm not too far away from my dream becoming a reality !!!!!!

I will update how i get on.

Tan 
Tomas170cm
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2010, 10:17:46 PM »

Hello Tan,

How is it going? What has been decided? Any information you like to share with us?  Smiley
I wish you all the best!

With kinds regards, Tomas
Tan
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2010, 08:53:58 PM »

Hi Tomas

I have my consultation tomorrow at 1pm Smiley fly out early morning, feeling slightly nervous (not sure why)
I just hope my visit confirms all i want!

My husband has decided to come along with me as he did not want me traveling alone and i'm sure he thinks i've lost my marbles even considering this....but i don't expect anyone to fully understand the effect this has on me and my life.

Ill update you when I'm back with hopefully good news..

Tan
nachx
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2010, 10:39:34 AM »

¿How was your visit?

¿Are you planning to have the procedure this year?
Tan
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2010, 12:45:41 AM »

Here is how it went..

Arrived in Frankfurt Hahn 11:30am Tuesday morning, i had arranged with the hospital for their driver to pick us up in arrivals but he was not there! We spent 40mins hanging around looking to see if the driver was going to turn up.I tried ringing the hospital but all i got was an answering machine.I was beginning to panic as my consultation was for 1pm! so we decided to jump a taxi. Be warned they are rip off merchants, one guy priced us 150euros we got another guy for 100euros (still expensive)

It's an hour drive from the Airport to Lebach and the scenery is just forestry, i was very glad i brought my Hubbie along as other wise i would have been thinking the taxi guy was driving me to the middle of nowhere. (any girls thinking of traveling here I'd advise you bring someone with you)

I arrived for my appointment 20mins late but needed not worry as we hung around until 3:30pm.While waiting for Dr Betz in his waiting room i was sitting with another two people one was a LL patient days away from getting rods removed and another doing his research to help him with his decision on LL. Guys i know you do be on this site but i just want to apologize to you both for seeming uninterested, the reason been obviously now. I'm not a future LL patient but just looking for correction. I could not say that to you when i was there as I'm so paranoid  and embarrassed to talk or draw attention to my legs. I think because my Husband is 6ft 1" and I'm a mere 5ft 4" everyone was thinking i was surely having LL lol Grin

I met with Dr Betz at 3:30pm (a nice man) and then headed off for x rays so he could see exactly what options he could suggest.

The suggestions were the external device (which i was already aware of through research) this involves cutting the tibia bone just under the knee in a v shaped wedge and moving the bone to correct position gradually and held in place with an external fixator. Dr Betz said with this method the recovery is longer and more risk of infection. The other method what he suggested was open wedge osteotomy. This he thinks is the best option for my condition.

In the opening wedge osteotomy one cut is made through the upper tibia in a wedge shape
After the bone is cut, the two sides of the tibia are separated to form a wedge-shaped opening. This opening is then filled with bone graft. The bone graft is usually taken from pelvis bone, through an incision in the side of your hip. The bone graft is held in position with a metal plate. After fixing the two edges of bone with the plate, the surgeon stitches the skin together.

Dr Betz has said he will only do one leg at a time and that recovery time is 6 - 8 weeks on crutches.I have never considered this option before as i have only heard of the fixator method. what has me worried is the thoughts of having bone removed from my pelvis! he told me this would be more painful then the leg!! I would love to hear from anyone who has had or has any other useful information about their experience of this method.

I'm still thinking things over and have another list of questions that are coming to me to send to Dr Betz he also has to supply me with a price so ill update all when i have it.

I had an early flight home the following day so i stayed in the hotel B & B just a walk across from the airport perfect...

P.s when i got home and checked my mail i had a message from the hospital saying that the driver would be late collecting me at the Airport (12:15) as he was collecting another patient...so make sure you get the drivers number before you travel if you are thinking of heading over.....foolish me Roll Eyes

Tan
nachx
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2010, 07:43:12 PM »

Thank you for your report.

I'm trying to contact Dr. Betz by email, but it seems he doesn't reply mails these days. I'll have to phone him, and you know, my German is not good, that's why I always prefer to communicate via email whenever a foreign language and phone are involved.

I'm interested mainly in LL, but he told me that he could correct my slight X-leg deformity (before having a consultation with him I though I had normal legs)
jailair
MMT Member

Credibility 3

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2010, 01:29:15 AM »

hei nachx!

wich device is used by dr Betz to correct leg deformities and do LL at the same time?

thanks!
nachx
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2010, 08:17:19 PM »

Dr Betz told me that he is able to perform small corrections with the Albizzia nail, but of course it is not as powerful tool as an external Ilizarov for deformity correction.
MMTA
Former Site Admin
Administrator
MMT Expert

Credibility 1036

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2010, 10:56:39 PM »

If correction is your primary goal, then an internal nail really isn't the most effective approach - they do not have the same control or range of functions as an external frame.

Crisbit
Lurker

Credibility 0

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2012, 12:27:13 AM »

Hi Tan,

I know this post is old, I would like to know if you went for surgery with Dr.  Betz, and how it went.  My goal is also deformity correction (rotated tibias and bow legs), and Im in the process of finding a good surgeon preferably in Europe. 

Thanks
Chris
steve_1212
Lurker

Credibility 0

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2012, 07:01:05 AM »

Hi Chris,

Have you had any luck finding a doctor in Europe? I am also looking, preferably for someone in the UK. 

Steve. 
lyonnais
Lurker

Credibility 0

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2012, 07:42:18 PM »

I sent a lot of messages to betz institute but i have never received answers (??)

I would like to have informations.
I am very mixed up about my bow legs and i would like to know if it is possible to have on operation about bow legs (bow leg correction) only for aesthetic reasons.  (i'm 25 years old).
Indeed, my bow legs are strong but i have not medical problems.  (not osteoarthritis, only occasional paint). 

Help me please

Ps: i am very for my english
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Make Me Taller! The world's number one elective leg lengthening site! Come here for information about LL, things to make you taller, how to get taller permanently, Ilizarov, Betzbone, Guichet Nail, PRECICE, height growth and other height related issues. This is the number one leg lengthening forum for height seekers and people trying to become taller. It was created and run by people who have actually done leg lengthening surgery (LL).

As a community site, MMT forum thrives on people's contributions, so please feel free to share your make me taller questions, videos, photos and experiences here in this leg lengthening forum. Make me taller is open to all, but please read the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) before posting as this will answer nearly all of your questions about getting taller through surgery. Please read our leg lengthening diaries too! We hope that you find this forum useful. Cheers, SysOp.