MMT Community
January 21, 2019, 06:34:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Make Me Taller! This is the leading site for the discussion of Leg Lengthening on the Internet. Join now - the more contribute, the more you will benefit from being part of our community. Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  

The Make Me Taller (MMT) community forum provides free information about the only REAL way to become taller - elective leg lengthening (LL) surgery. This site contains detailed information, pictures, videos, diaries and personal accounts from people who have undergone cosmetic LL to become taller. We discuss the pros and cons of Ilizarov, Betzbone, Guichet Nail, PRECICE and other methods. Please read our FAQs first before posting and enjoy your time here finding out how to become taller! Leg Lengthening is a serious endeavor, so do your research! You can also buy MMT's new book about LL called 'Inchworm' at Amazon!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Affording LL  (Read 9501 times)
Elkhi
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« on: April 07, 2010, 12:37:07 PM »

Its no joke indeed... This costs alooottta money buddy and heck if it means keeping your legs, then you gotta pay dammit! I've always wondered how people can afford procedures costing 45000 euros (quoted price from Betz not including living and accommodation expenses). So I figure why not ask  Grin !

For those who have undergone LL; how did you come to afford your surgery? Maybe you were affluent enough to begin with, or had to 'hustle' (using that term loosely) to get the amount you required...

Or those who are saving currently, how have you saved? Were there any particular saving accounts that you used? High return investments (hoping some of the finance expert LL-ers could shed some light on this)? Did your circumstances make it easier or harder for you to achieve this amount?
navlo
Certified Member
MMT Member

Credibility 3

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 03:07:52 PM »

This is a good question Elkhi because I must face the same problem .If i had enough money I would already have done LL!!!
Now as student I try to find some work or jobs to earn money

LL with Betz. End of 2013 hopefully.
Elkhi
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 03:23:44 PM »

Navlo.... Man oh man do I feel your pain lol...

my goal is to save at least £50k. I figured with this amount it would leave enough of a margin for choice for most of the procedures listed here. I picked this figure bearing in mind the probably fluctuations in prices of the procedures. Here's a rough plan (its still being tweaked):

1: Secured a job for my third year of uni and since I'm living at home it mean I can put the majority of my salary into a savings account.

* Finding an adequate savings account that suits your needs (e.g easy access, capital protected) is important. Also bear in mind (for the brits among us) Individual                     Savings Accounts (ISA) are very useful when trying to save as they hold no tax burdens (like other saving accounts) and the interest can go towards your procedure also.   However these accounts have a limit. Dependent on the type of ISA (stock or cash) you may only save a specific amount (Stock:£10,500, Cash:£5,100) This link may  provide a more comprehensive explanations to the figures. http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/ManagingMoney/SavingsAndInvestments/DG_4016062.

2: For my fourth year at uni, the aim is to find a part time job with a respectable hourly wage (fingers crossed) and do the same as the previous year. By this time I should be able to further pay money into my ISA, as the limit for the amount allowed to be paid in will have been reset, and also a regular savings account .

* In-case your wondering how I intend to survive with nearly all of my salary under lock and key, as I am still living at home my student loan seems to keep me above                              water just fine (you'd be surprised how far £10 pounds can stretch if your stingy enough)

3: Hopefully for stage three I'll have saved £30k (or at least £25k). At this stage  I am able to afford a few of the procedures listed. If I am going for gold (which is the Betz institute for me) then I will then proceed to stage 4

4: Secure a graduate placement and continue putting money away through out the year until I reach the £50k.

Now understand this is a simplistic framework (and im feeling a lil too lazy to write it all out). I'm hoping to drop by a couple of banks to to get this plan tweaked a lil more and get more realistic view of achieving this goal. It would also allow me to assess my options better...
MMTA
Former Site Admin
Administrator
MMT Expert

Credibility 1036

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 08:08:41 PM »

Its no joke indeed... This costs alooottta money buddy and heck if it means keeping your legs, then you gotta pay dammit! I've always wondered how people can afford procedures costing 45000 euros (quoted price from Betz not including living and accommodation expenses). So I figure why not ask  Grin !

The same reason that some of us drive Maserati's and other drive Fords - some people are more successful than others Wink

This isn't really a question about LL, so it is going into the right section...

TopShelf
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 08:15:31 PM »

I did not have all the money in my bank account.  I am not sure a lot of people would keep 70-80,000 sitting in a savings account, and if they did, they would not want to clean out that account for LL or any other reason.  They should be using the money for investments or pay down a mortgage, or something rather than keeping it in one of these low interest savings accounts (but that is my opinion).  I took about half the money from my savings account, and put the rest of the cost on my line of credit which currently has a very low interest rate.  I am lucky enough to be a high income earner who was still being paid while I was away.  I have paid back the LOC already and have been charged very little interest.  I would say that for the average person, this is an expensive procedure, but if you really want it, you will find a way even if it means getting a loan and paying it off over the next 5 years or whatever.  You will later find that parting with the money is the easy part of LL.
Elkhi
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 10:26:26 PM »

I would say that for the average person, this is an expensive procedure, but if you really want it, you will find a way even if it means getting a loan and paying it off over the next 5 years or whatever.  You will later find that parting with the money is the easy part of LL.

Hey topshelf, Im glad you replied to this... Read your diary, man did that seem like a struggle (guess I'll only ever know if I go through with it in the future). I'm glad to hear you reached a point here you were happy with your gains.

I was considering the loan option but I guess how much I take out would be based on how much I actually have by that time and how much the bank would be willing to give me. But I believe I'm miles from that milestone (haha see what I did there)

bit off topic but Would you say that the other LLers you met at the Betz institute were or seemed to be in a better financial position than the average person (if you had the chance to get to know them enough that is...)
TopShelf
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 01:19:47 AM »

Yes, the people I met seemed to be better off then the general person.  But perhaps that is just my assumption, I really did not get into those kind of details, other than with "D".  I would think they would have to be in order to fork over that much money for a few inches of height.  If you do not have a good income, it will take a long. long time to save or pay off that amount of money.
MMTA
Former Site Admin
Administrator
MMT Expert

Credibility 1036

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 12:46:46 AM »

Cosmetic surgery is not for normal or poor people.

By definition, it is a luxury, which means that it is most likely consumed by people from the upper echelons of society.

I know 18 year olds (Chloe) who saved up the money for their LL over a summer holiday, because they came from a good family, were above average intelligence and got a great summer job for a few months to raise $20k.

LL is not for average Joe, I'm afraid - in just the same way that dating a model isn't, and driving a Maserati isn't.

I've never seen anyone on the Maserati owner's sites asking people how they managed to afford to buy a car, which is why I find this kind of thread so strange.

jack0life
Handsome Mod
LL Hero
MMT Expert

Credibility 315

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2010, 05:23:22 PM »

Theres usually a corellation between age and affording LL.
If you're in your early 20's,of course you will have a hard time finding the money.
When I was in my eary 20s I was barely getting by.a
Thats why I always say there are too many deamers in here.
Stop obssessing over LL until you get the money.

Every cm was TORTURE.
Went from 158cm to 166cm in Beijing !!
OneSevenOne
MMT Contributor

Credibility 19

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2010, 06:02:47 PM »

At the same time though there is nothing wrong with asking people how they finance things.

Many, many people drive luxury cars and live beyond their means via loans and credit cards.

As mentioned in an earlier thread a friend of mine just borrowed £6000 for breast enlargement.  She told me that when they people asked about her loan purpose she said it was for cosmetic surgery and they loan company said it was one of the most common uses for loans.

Personally, I am going to save as much cash as I can, then get a loan for the rest.  I'd rather have extra height earlier and pay that off, than have to save for years.  Given the way MMT states the prices increase for LL each year, and interest I would pay on the loan would no doubt be less or equate to the extra cash I would have to pay if the cost of surgery hikes up 2-3k Euros per year.

Also whilst I am no expert on this, you can move loans around and take advantage of low/no interest accounts.  Need to look into this of course.

What would be really nice is if fellow affluent LL would front money to poorer LL based on some legally binding contract, or something.  I think the level of mutual understanding would be very nice.  Of course it is open to corruption and would require a level of trust on the loan providers part.  Any millionaires wanting to help a young chap out?  Grin

Of course I may be a dreamer, but unlike cars and other materialistic possessions LL is for life and will never depreciate in value.  Anyone have views on anything I have said?  Would be interested in hearing corroborative/counter views to my opinions!

"The future doesn’t belong to the fainthearted; it belongs to the brave."

Ronald Reagan
Elkhi
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2010, 06:34:58 PM »

Thats what i was trying to get at... I mean every1 dreams (they're entitled to) but even those that could afford it, some of them took loans. Even if you are rolling in cash, that amount of money is still substantial and will set most people back, even the richer ones among us. Im interested to see how people go about financing a procedure like this. The preparation, the saving, the borrowing. Indeed not everyone could afford to have LL but I think it would be interesting to see how those that have had it and those that can afford it have gone about it...

What would be really nice is if fellow affluent LL would front money to poorer LL based on some legally binding contract, or something.

I wish dude lol..... but I would'nt fork out that much for someone else... You've better luck robbing a bank...  Grin

Stop obssessing over LL until you get the money.

Very valid point jack0life... I think its the fact that such a thing exists makes some of us excitable (it'll wear off... I hope). For me personally it was wanting to enjoy the height during my 20's but I'm beginning to realise it's not something you should rush into for the sake of youthful impatience. Especially if you cant afford it...
OneSevenOne
MMT Contributor

Credibility 19

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2010, 06:53:56 PM »

I wish dude lol..... but I would'nt fork out that much for someone else... You've better luck robbing a bank...  Grin

I know, mostly said as tongue in cheek comment.  However, you never know!

You mention about the height in your twenties.  Well from my perspective it is one of the biggest decades of your life.  Why wait and see prices of LL jump up year on year whilst you try and make it in life unhappy with your height?

The impatient part is right, but really this isn't surprising is it?  If you could genuinely wait patiently with LL not even ticking over in your mind as you work your way in the world, do you really want or need LL that much?

MMT himself went from discovering LL to surgery in something like 6 months.

Why do you feel waiting till you are older is a better option?  As far as I am aware the earlier you do it, the longer you have to recover at a younger age, get used to your new heigh, reap the benefits and move on with your life instead of obsessing over "what-ifs" by deferring for years. 

Ronald Reagan
Elkhi
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2010, 07:19:23 PM »

Why do you feel waiting till you are older is a better option?  As far as I am aware the earlier you do it, the longer you have to recover at a younger age, get used to your new heigh, reap the benefits and move on with your life instead of obsessing over "what-ifs" by deferring for years.

I know what you mean... But sometimes you have to be smart about it. There is alot of risk in this and if you aren't able to get the right doctor and place of surgery you could lose more than you think.

Look at it this way. You have alot of ambition when you are younger but also alot of responsibilities. You put off a job, leave loved ones behind, have less or no income for when you return... so far the risks are building up. Despite this you continue with the procedure. If all goes well you gain the height, but you may lose out on valuable time you could have spent on other possibly more beneficial opportunities. Heck you may even return to find that you have lost a loved one, a girlfriend etc... That's even more you're risking.Then you've got to recover... even more waiting and possible missed opportunities (not to mention a limp that holds you back...). Now imagine if things don't go as well as you hoped and complications get involved.... How much more risk will be compiled and impede on your life... You've missed out on a chunk of your life, and a seemingly substantial part of it with a huge deficit in your cash flow and a foot in your credit to boot. At 20+ some of us leave uni (and are already in debt) with the goal of starting a career and getting our life on track. This  just as important as being taller... Is always better to have something to fall back on if it all goes south...

You NEED to be ready for it. MMT got his surgery done at 36 when he had no significant ties and was able to afford it. Whilst topshelf had his job waiting for him when he got back. Growing had the support from his family financially and emotionally (as well as this forum).

These guys are well prepared and weighed out their profits and losses and from their diaries are loving it insofar... Not all of us will be this lucky... I know i wont for now

You really have to be sensible. Just because we want something so badly, doesn't always mean were gong to get it... Its sad and disheartening but i find its easier to accept that than a choice that cannot be reversed such as LL. So Im gna bide my time until i know its possible... Maybe my fairy godmother will come by n gimme some new height ( hows that for tongue in cheek  Grin )!!!!

OneSevenOne
MMT Contributor

Credibility 19

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2010, 08:15:45 PM »

The chance of losing a loved one only increases with time, so again putting things off till I am a thirty something instead of a twenty something for this reason seems counter intuitive.

Additionally right now I have more or less zero responsibilities.  My younger sister is engaged and trying for a kid, owns a dog, etc.  She's 22, I'm 23 and have a girlfriend, that's it.  Whilst I love her, It is not like I have a mortgage, kids, pets and god knows what else on top of this.  So by me working and saving for a year or so and loaning the remainder, it means I can focus fully on the rest of my life thereafter.

You also mention a limp that holds you back, and complications, etc.  Surely now would be the best time to get all of that sorted, as oppose to waiting till I have a family and a house to tend to.

I value greatly your opinions.  Don't get me wrong.  I understand that there are serious risks, but these won't diminish by waiting around.  I am not too sure LL is something you can ever truly be "ready" for though.

If you don't mind could you elaborate on your position a bit just so I can better understand your point of view?

I'll detail mine...

23 years old.  Finished Uni last September, I am now in the final stages of my teacher training.  After that I really do not know what to do, there are lucrative teaching opportunities abroad that offer significant benefits over teaching in the UK.  I live at home at the moment and could comfortably do so for a year or so and save up cash for LL then Loan the rest.  From there on I will simply decide on what to do from there, emigrate and teach abroad, teach in the UK, leave teaching and go into a profession that relates to my degree (IT) honestly I have no idea.

Ronald Reagan
Elkhi
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2010, 09:01:15 PM »

Im 20 and in my 2nd year of uni.... I have a placement year comin up where im planning to save nearly all of my earnings. i then move on to my final year where i hope to get a part time job. Im an only son so i have alot of responsibility and one of two people in my house that that can drive (oh boy does that get abused). I think this may be where we differ because i have quite a few responsibilities and plans... Im looking to get a job in finance and have made my plans for graduate schemes so i can find work right after i graduate... This is why personally 4 me, i have no clue where LL would fit in... Iv only become more interested in this quite recently and thus to do this i would need to dedicate another year to it out of my plan... I also live at home and plan to do so to help out my family when education is done.... I think why i am so cautious about this procedure is because i believe there is a lot to lose on my part introspectively ...

I worked in secondary education in the UK on my gap year aswell and come to think of it now, its a pretty sweet occupation. holidays correspond with the kids holiday and i imagine obtaining leave of absence from the job there and returning would be a little more easier for a teaching professional rather than me being stuck in a business environment that needs you to be there when things go sour or change... I imagine id miss out on alot if i were to up and leave for 6 months as finance related businesses are fast paced and always changing... If i could return back to my job at that time thereafter LL then that's a plus.

I see what you mean about the risks not diminishing. Never thought of it that way. But i figured by waiting at least we can see the developments that come to be in LL... New possible surgeons, new nails, new methods, cheaper prices (fingers crossed baby). Plus it gives me time to assess my approach to it, get fitter, more flexible for possible surgery. Back myself up you know... It also gives me the time to assess how much i actually need LL... My life has been good so far and im wondering the actual impact 3 inches of height will actually have on my life. Everyone's situation is different indeed, but i just feel that by being 100% happy with my decision i would feel alot more better about my LL (if it happens). Its still early days so Ive got time to really think this through... I had other goals before LL and if I'm gna end up compromising them I want to be sure I can do that confidently...
OneSevenOne
MMT Contributor

Credibility 19

« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2010, 12:21:24 PM »

Excellent!

Best of luck my friend!  When I was in my second year of my degree 2 years ago I was applying for placements at various businesses in the UK (almost got in Pfizer in London, but they pulled the scheme last minute - bummer!) still ended up in a decent place working in commercial development for my University.

After 4 years of doing IT, I was confident I didn't want to work in an office, and really didn't know what to do.  My mother and sister were both in education and persuaded me to look into it.  So I applied for a PGCE program and got accepted, now I really enjoy teaching for the most part, still not sure it is 100% for me, but for the time being it's working out.

You are clearly a very considerate and dedicated young man.  I admire you a lot for that, you and I both know situations and perspectives change, and like I said earlier we just have to judge the water best we can when it comes to jumping in!

As a side note, if you are doing finance and you chose to train to teach maths, there will always, always be a job for you.  Maths teachers are gold dust.

Keep me posted on your thoughts and developments! Cheesy

Ronald Reagan
Elkhi
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2010, 03:44:11 PM »

THanks dude i appreciate your insights... Best of luck to you also Wink
5foot5
Banned
Lurker

Credibility -12

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2010, 01:49:56 AM »

I've noticed that some members here have very cool titles like LL Hero or LL Warrior.  Is the benefit of these titles that these members, upon identifying themselves in the forum to a clinic, will get some kind of discount from the clinic?  (otherwise, what else do these titles do for the members???)  If so, I would like to know what I have to do to earn the title of LL Samurai or LL Blackbelt, etc...  Sorry if this question has been asked before, but I could not find the answers anywhere.

Ignore me - I'm an idiot!
Elkhi
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2010, 04:01:38 AM »

I don't think it works like that. If you look at the people who have acquired these titles most of them (to my knowledge) have undergone LL to achieve it in the first place so I doubt  they actually receive a discount, but rather more receive prestige. If MMTs postings are anything to go by, I reckon based on the 'validity' and 'type' of contribution you may get bumped up but I believe it is at his discretion (i think). Most of the titles have been given to those who have written diaries and have in fact had LL so there's an indicator their acquisition.   Perhaps PM one of the admins, they'd probably answer you better... By the way, Since you're here how do you feel about affording LL? Have you considered a saving plan, getting a job etc.? Sharin' is Carin' dude Wink
Tibia
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2010, 06:28:13 AM »

Jack0Life: You have a point, when you say stop obsessing over LL until you get the money, however a few years ago (before I knew about the option of LL) I didn't know what the heck I was doing, I was studying below my intelligence, just because it was easy, I didn't really have a goal.

Now, because I have seen what money can actually mean, I am in a IT masters program, and kicking ass if i might say so.
I'm not saying its all because of LL, but the knowledge of (enough money = LL) (LL = taller) certainly gave me a push in the right direction.

Brings me to the question of this topic, I would say a good education is the most important, its also very important you like this education, right now I'm studying 8 to 10 hours a day, and working another 4 for a software company.

I can do this, because I like IT, now if I was just doing it for the money, I wouldn't be able to keep this pace up, and wouldn't have the needed money for LL when my education is done.

Good luck.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Make Me Taller! The world's number one elective leg lengthening site! Come here for information about LL, things to make you taller, how to get taller permanently, Ilizarov, Betzbone, Guichet Nail, PRECICE, height growth and other height related issues. This is the number one leg lengthening forum for height seekers and people trying to become taller. It was created and run by people who have actually done leg lengthening surgery (LL).

As a community site, MMT forum thrives on people's contributions, so please feel free to share your make me taller questions, videos, photos and experiences here in this leg lengthening forum. Make me taller is open to all, but please read the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) before posting as this will answer nearly all of your questions about getting taller through surgery. Please read our leg lengthening diaries too! We hope that you find this forum useful. Cheers, SysOp.