MMT Community
February 23, 2019, 10:38:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Words of wisdom from MMTA:
"Leg Lengthening is hard-work and shouldn't be considered by the faint-hearted. Physical and mental strength are needed in great measure!"

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jay7 - Internal Femurs - Dr. Guichet - 2010 - Quest for 7cm and a Learning Experience  (Read 96786 times)
jay7
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 64

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2010, 02:06:31 PM »

Hey all, here are the missing parts from my experience with Betz. It was a full day, so it just takes a while to write all this... ;-)

Some thing I forgot to mention before:

Betz Office: Like Guichet's it is rather small and functional. However, Betz does not have a laptop in front of him (Guichet used to write a lot when I spoke - taking notes. Betz doesn't.)
Betz does have a rack with three examples of real lengthening nails standing on the table in front of him and he often takes one out to explain the functionality. There is a black (beautiful!) ISKD nail, a long and somehow majestic silver Albizzia, and a small Fitbone with an antenna coming out of it. I enjoyed playing with the nails while talking to Betz.

I played quite a bit with the Albizzia nail and remembered about the clicking when I had it in my hand. I tried to rotate one end (which is difficult because it is not screwed to my hand and round and difficult to grab) - but I indeed managed to click it severall times! You just have to turn one end a certain amount of degrees and it clicks. Of course, it does not noticeably lengthen during this procedure.
Another funny detail about the nail: On the part that extends (= comes out of the main part) there is a centimeter scale. So one can actually see on the nail how many cm it already expanded (might be difficult when it is in you leg though...;-)

In addition to that Betz already had wooden blocks standing on the floor in his consultation room, which were probably used to simulate different height enhancements with patients. I imagine Betz asking "Do you want to grow 5, 8 or 10 centimeter?" and letting the patient step on each of them. He didn't go through this with me since I was allready pretty clear about my 7cm goal, but I assume he does it if you just come to him saying "I wan to be taller" without much prior research.

From meeting other patients there and at Guichet's place I actually got the feeling that this happens pretty often - people go to LL doctors without too much research before. Most people I met didn't even know this website (which is due to the language barrier for most cases).

Clicking with the patients
Betz and I went out of the consultation room and he went over to the two other prospective patients who were waiting for about 5 hours now. It was about 6pm. The were actually a German mother and her son; and just the son was interested in lengthening and the mother was just there to give him company (it was a young chap of 19 years, maybe 1.75 - yes, being 19 and 1.75 in Germany must be awkward!).

We then went over to he hospital all together without Betz first: Betz' assistant (German), me, and the mother & son. We started having a look at Tom again, who was now accompanied by his pretty wife and children.

Finally Betz arrived and had Tom click his first time. Watching it from outside, it doesn't look difficult at all. just a relatively small movement on each leg. But one could clearly see, allthough Tom was surprisingly painfree as mentioned above, that he did not enjoy it... His face in fact expressed a lot of stress, and he was happy it was over after clicking once on each leg. I am really wondering how Guichet's patients are coping with 21 clicks from the beginning on after seeing this...Huh?

I don't remember the conversatins we had while doing all this in detail, but Dr. Betz clearly is an icebreaker and he knows how to relax people. I also remember one point during this "ceremony" where he just gave me two friendly claps on my shoulder - saying something like "So, and Jay is next and will also have no issue with clicking" - or similar - and it definitely takes away the tense about people actually suffering from  the  situation. I assume you won't get that from Dr. Guichet (but maybe I am wrong - I didn't visit patients with him).

We then went over and visited the German lady. After seeing allready Tom struggle with clicking I was surprised how she would cope with it. She told me in the afternoon before that she was in a lot of pain, so I assumed clicking should be even more difficult for her then for Tom, who had no pain so far.

But it turned out to be more or less the same procedure. Dr. Betz moving her leg slowly but firmly from one said to the other, she making "ah, ah ah,,,haaaaa... click". It looked rather like psychologic anxiousness then actual pain to me. But who really knows....

Getting back
Nice thing in the end (7pm) was that Betz assistand offered me to drive me to the mainstation - not having a car and there being no taxis and NOTHING in the middle of nowhere I appreciated that. She drove me to the center of this tiny village and dropped me at the main station. She even walked me to the plan and we checked together when the next train would go. It turned out that she had to go back to assist Betz in consulting the last patient (the German mother and son) - So I assume the day for her and Betz didn't endbefore 10 or even 11pm. Pretty long...

I had an ice cream, thought about how lost, boring and lonely this little town really is and was happy when my train arrived!

Changing trains four times again I finally arrived at 1am at my friends place...

jay7
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 64

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2010, 02:34:22 PM »

The Choice

So, after seeing both of them I really believe that the choice is a very personal thing.
Each of them might be better suited to different kinds of patients.

Let's quickly go through some points to be considered:

Language: I feel that people in Germany speak more English then in France. Just a feeling, no evidence here (I speak French and German so I didn't speak much English anyway). I know that Betz's assistant speaks English whereas in France, when I tried, I found no one working around him who spoke any English (except the X-Ray guy - read my chapter about Guichet above). Conclusion: If you speak nether German nor French, getting along in Germany and with Betz might be easier than getting along in France.

For me, this doesn't count since I would rather like to improve my French language skills then my German. So language gives +1 for Guichet.

Entertainment: I have the feeling that it must get incredily boring to spend month in Betz small town. Marseille, a big city at the mediteranean see, clearly has an edge over it.

+2 for Guichet (for me - others might like cows and countryside!).

Personality: Betz is the easy-going buddy-type guy. Most people will love him. +1 For him.

Support: Betz had 2 assistants but now downgraded to 1. Guichet also has one (allthough she doesn't speak English but doesn't matter to me). So this is pretty much an undecided...

Well, and the most important point: Professionalism.... Ability, proficiency... To do what has to be done in the best, least painful and complications-avoiding way...
I can only speculate here. How could one judge this without having a medical background? It seems that Guichet is more into details, takes it more serious (requiring all this preparation) and focuses more on avoiding risks then Betz.

I tend to give him +1 for this. But as I said - it is difficult to judge.

That would give us a 3:1 in favour of Guichet.

What I am wondering about after going though it again and again: WHY DO MOST PEOPLE HERE ON THE FORUM END UP GOING TO BETZ?Huh?

I assume party it is because Betz doesn't have these requirements (letter of motivation, Cybex, personal trainer, ...). Another part might be the multiplicator this forum creates: Many Betz diaries make people go to Betz and create another Betz diary rather then one with Guichet. However, this can only be part of the expalnation...

If it is true that Guichet's patients walk faster and recover faster (and there is some evidence supporting this assumption) why is there not more written about him here?

As far as I can see there are/were three Guichet patients here: Jamee, Chump and Femur7. Jamee and Chump were very satisified with Guichet and the outcome (allthough Jamee seemed to have a painfull time). Femur7 had no diary.

Former and prospective Guichet patients: Please shoot me a PM! I need to speak to more people.
Comments that potentially could help me with this difficult decison are welcome!

I would bevery happy to also get in touch with someone who plans to start lengthening at the same time as I do (this June) - be it at Betz or Guichet. Get in touch with me.

Tomas170cm
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2010, 09:28:12 PM »

Jay, that was a good read! Thanks for sharing your experiences with us.
Whoever you end up choosing, good luck!
Ryzerman
LL Patient
MMT Member

Credibility 2

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2010, 09:17:02 AM »

Jay 7.  I am a patient of doctor Guichet and currently live in Marseilles.  I had my surgery done with Dr.  Guichet 12 days ago.

I know how hard it is to make a decision.  I think I will be able to help you in that regard as I have so many things to say and share my experiences with all the enthusiastic people in this forum.  Actually I have been trying to find out how to start a new branch of comments on this site but apparently the administrator doesn't give you that option if you are new.  But now that you have asked for help, I decided to write.  I have to start somewhere, right? So why not here.

You are right.  Dr.  Guichet has a lot of patients but most of them don't write here at this forum.  So it may appear that there are not as many patients as Dr.  Betz has.  I may want to start writing more about my experiences here in Marseilles and even start from the beginning but I have very limited time, so I have to try to balance it somehow.  In the meantime I can answer any particular questions anyone may have.  If you are in a hurry, you can contact me directly.  I am not sure if I am allowed to give my email address or phone number here.  Let me know if I am allowed or not.  If I am, then I will give you my contact information and I will talk with you directly. 

Good luck.
jay7
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 64

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2010, 11:46:28 AM »

Hey Ryzerman,

I am so glad to read from you!

It would indeed be great if you could give us some more information about your experience with Guichet here...
- How many international patients are there currently?
- Where are you living? In the recommended residences?
- How is the pain level amonsgt Guichet's patients overall?
- Do you see that emphasizing on sports is really resulting in quick recovery?

It seems likely that I meet you in June (if you are still there by then). So I will shoot you a PM with my email! Of course you are allowed to share it, but you shouldn't do it in public! ;-) Look in the top Navigation at "My Messages" - there should be an email from me now. :-)

Cheers
jay
Ryzerman
LL Patient
MMT Member

Credibility 2

« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2010, 04:01:41 PM »

Jay, wrote you to your email.  However, here is again the answers to your questions:

I don't know how many international patients there are.  I know that there is me.  I come from the U. S.  (California), then there is a girl who is almost finished and she will be going back to Canada on Sunday.  There is a French man who was here yesterday and today.  I met with him.  He has his surgery scheduled on May 28th I believe.  There is another woman who will be coming for surgery in June from Belgium.  That's all that I know about.

I live in Calypso Residence which is the best one of the complexes and is the one that Dr.  Guichet recommends the most.  I believe anyone who is a patient of Dr.  Guichet must stay here.  It is truly the best.  Before my surgery I visited almost all the other ones that are listed in a list that was given to me by his secretary.  I realized that Calypso is indeed the best, independent of Dr.  Guichet's recommendation.  Also, here the manager and cleaning lady are very familiar with Dr.  Guichet's protocol and the limitations and schedule of his patients.  Accordingly they are able to give you much better service and are very helpful and understanding.  They also have special apartments which are designed for handicapped and physically limited people.  The showers for example are designed to accommodate LL patients.

I don't know the pain level for other patients.  I do know that the Canadian girl who is leaving on Sunday has no pain whatsoever.  I do have a little pain which comes and goes.  I can almost get off the pain killers.

And the most important question is about sports and recovery and my answer is a big YES.  I strongly believe that without proper physical preparation and activities before and after the surgery, the results are vastly different.  I myself prepared for the surgery for about two years before I was finally ready, and now after the surgery, I am religiously sticking to the regimen and physical training that has been prescribed by Dr.  Guichet.  I see that whenever I do the physical training my pain goes away and I am much more flexible and stronger. 
alma
Lurker

Credibility 0

« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2010, 06:05:28 PM »

Hey Ryzerman,

I'm so glad for you!

How old are you?

How cm you want?

I would like to have some information about Guichet and Marseille.

Can you send me a private message?

Thank you

Alma
happiness
Lurker

Credibility 1

« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2010, 01:58:36 PM »

To those who are currently with or has been to a consultation with Guichet, is he also offering to do the tibia now? thanks
jay7
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 64

« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2010, 10:44:51 AM »

@happiness: Last thing I heard the new tibial nail should be available June or July. Doesn't matter, if you didn't have a consutlation yet you will anyway need longer to go through preparation. So best would be to just get you an appointment if you are seriously interested.
Ryzerman
LL Patient
MMT Member

Credibility 2

« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2010, 01:14:21 PM »

To all you guys who wrote me sorry for the delay in response.  Here are the answers:

hghvf:    You asked how much I paid for the operation.  There are two different kind of costs.  One is the surgery fee which you pay directly to Dr.  Guichet.  I am afraid I cannot tell you what my cost was.  When one does a surgery with Dr.  Guichet, one must sign a confidentiality agreement which requires that you do not tell others how much you paid.  However, there is a part right here in this forum on the home page under the FAQ and first section under the title Doctors. . .  where there is are answers to many questions one may have from Dr.  Guichet.  It is very informative and you can find about the costs.  Here is the link:

NOT ALLOWED www. makemetaller. info/index. php/topic,2565. 0. html

The other costs are the type that you pay to others.  The main one is for the hospital which is approximately 4,250 Euros.  Then the cost of residence which is approximately 1,400 Euros per month and the cost of the trainer which is 1,600 Euros per month and the cost of X rays and medical tests which is approximately 1,000 Euros and prescription medication which is about 400 Euros.  There are other miscellaneous costs as well which varies depending on the person.

My goal is to grow 8 to 9 centimeters.  I have prepared for the surgery for two years in advance so it should be doable.

I should be here in Marseillies for another two to three months.
Ryzerman
LL Patient
MMT Member

Credibility 2

« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2010, 01:22:47 PM »

Tasmin:
You asked me why I chose Guichet over Betz.  For the answer to that please read my responses to Jay7.  You also asked if I speak French.  The answer is no, however, before coming to France when I was in Los Angeles, I purchased the language program from Rosetta Stone as well as the Pimsleur which are both excellent.  I have started to learn French while I stay here.  It would be helpful to have at least some basic understanding of the language.  It goes a long way espcially while in the hospital.  Most of the nurses do not speak English.  For me it was easier because I do speak fluent Italian and some of the nurses happened to speak Italian.  The people who work here at the residence do speak English.  What "not so flattering" things have you heard about Dr.  Guichet? It's strange because I have been reading this post for years and before my surgery I came to Marseilles and met with several patients of Dr.  Guichet and I haven't heard any.
 Huh?

Ryzerman
LL Patient
MMT Member

Credibility 2

« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2010, 01:27:58 PM »

Elkhi:

Thank you for your warm wishes.  Calypso residence is not only the newest and the best and the closest of all the others to the gym, to Dr.  Guichet's office which is also the X ray center, but also it happens to be the cheapest one of all.  There is no question.  If you get your procedure done with Dr.  Guichet, stay at Calypso.  No ifs or buts.  Trust me.  I came here two weeks before my surgery and spent two days going to each and every one available in Marseilles and created a list for myself comparing pros and cons and the prices.  I came to the realization that Calypso was the best.  It happened to be the one that Dr.  Guichet recommends.  He knows what he is doing.
Ryzerman
LL Patient
MMT Member

Credibility 2

« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2010, 01:57:40 PM »

Jay7:

Sorry for the delay in response.  Tasmin here also asked me kind of the same question that you have been asking yourself which is: why I chose Dr.  Guichet over Dr.  Betz? The answer is exactly the reason that many chose Dr.  Betz which is the fact that he doesn't have as stringent requirements as Dr.  Guichet does.  That was a major plus for me.  Let me explain why by giving you an analogy.

people who have ever taken flying lessons or pilots know that when you want to learn flying and become a pilot, you can basically learn how to fly the plane in one or two lessons and learn how to land the plane in a few more lessons.  But what you learn and practice after that which takes a year or years is how to deal with emergencies.  It is easy to fly but how do you deal with lost engine, mechanical malfunctions, storms, bad whether, turbulance, etc.  Flying is 1 percent about flying and 99% about dealing with emergencies.

Limb Lengthening (LL) is also the same way.  People who want to do it think to themselves, ok, I will do the surgery and after two or three months I am taller and that's that.  They learn about how it's done and then they think they know it all and they are ready.  But the reality is that a lot of things may go wrong, the most important of which is what happens when the nail in your legs is getting longer and longer but your leg tissues and nerves are not catching up.  You might say that, well, in that case I may slow down the rate of increase, but there is a limit to how slow you can get because if you get too slow, yes,  your body may catch up, but your bones solidify faster than you separate them and they consolidate.  then you can't grow any more.  In this case, you most likely have to stop it all together and go back home before you get to your goal. . . .  Continued in the next post.
Ryzerman
LL Patient
MMT Member

Credibility 2

« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2010, 02:19:02 PM »

Continued from previous post:

. . .  I never met with Dr.  Betz.  The things I know about him are from visiting his website and reading his posting here as well as the postings of many others including his patients.  I am sure that he is an excellent doctor.  But I too noticed that he has less stringent preop requirements than Dr.  Guichet does. 

I met with Dr.  Guichet first about four years ago.  During my first appointment he told me that I am not a good candidate for LL because my legs are not flexible at all.  He told me go back and stretch and get your leg muscles bigger and then about 1 1/2 to 2 years you will be ready for the surgery.  This is the only reason why I didn't do it.  I had to wait and do as he said.  Again, I came back to Marseilles last October.  During my second visit he told me that he is happy with my progress as far as muscle mass and flexibility but still have a little bit more to go as far as flexibility.  He told me when I bend over and can touch the ground with my knuckles, then I am ready.  So again he did not agree to operate. 

After going back home (Los Angeles) I have to admit, for a while I considered going to Germany to see Dr.  Betz.  But then I thought to myself, if a doctor is willing to pass on a patient and the money, then there must be a reason for that.  If Dr.  Guichet so seriously insists on pre op preparation, then that must be very important.  A doctor who does LL surgery should know more and better than anyone else body's physical and biological limitations and what happens after the surgery.  So I decided to go with a doctor that takes this issue seriously and insists on it and puts it ahead of his own interest.  Instead of taking the easy way I decided to take the right way.

Ryzerman
LL Patient
MMT Member

Credibility 2

« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2010, 02:30:41 PM »

Continued from previous post

. . .  Another very important aspect of doing the LL is the nail itself which is placed in the bones.  There may be several things that could potentially go wrong be it from an unfortunate fall or accident or misuse by the patient or wrong way of clicking, etc.  Dr.  Guichet is the inventor of the nail.  He, more than anyone else or any other doctor in the world, knows about its structure and how it operates.

I thought to myself, in case that after the surgery I fall or if something goes wrong, I want it to be handled by the same person who knows the nails inside and out better than anyone else.  I thought to myself, what if I am in the shower one day and fall and then break the bone or the nails gets jammed? Who would I want to have it fixed.  Dr.  Guichet or someone else? The answer was very very clear.  There is no question.  Dr.  Guichet is without a doubt, the most qualified doctor in the world to handle any issues related to the nail.
badboy
LL Hero
MMT Member

Credibility 134

« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2010, 06:07:06 PM »

There is no question.  Dr.  Guichet is without a doubt, the most qualified doctor in the world to handle any issues related to the nail.

Ryzerman,

Congrats on your LL with Guichet.  I am doing the same here with Betz.  I've been reading your comments about Guichet vs. Betz, and you made some very good points.  However, your assertion that Guichet is "the most qualified doctor" is not a statement of fact but of your own opinion.

I'm not saying that Betz is the most qualified either, but I want to point out that your logic that the inventor of a technology is the most qualified to work with that technology is flawed.  History is replete with examples where the inventor was overshadowed by others who took the invention and made it better.  For example, Ford invented the Model T, but the best cars in the world are European or Japanese made. Xerox PARC invented the graphical user interface, but Apple and then later Microsoft perfected it.  RCA created the first TV, but the best TVs today are made by foreign manufacturers like Sony and Samsung.  Therefore, you can't say that Guichet is the most qualified doctor because he invented the Albizzia nail.  If you ask Betz, he would say that he took Guichet's invention and improved it by, for example, changing the angle of the distal screw to be perpendicular instead of acute for better stability, and he is researching stronger alloys for smaller 9mm nails to be used for the tibae.  Therefore, just because Guichet invented the Albizzia nail does not necessarily mean he is the most qualified to work with it.  There is no monopoly on improving an invention. In my opinion, the criteria for determing the most qualified doctor should be based on experience and skill, not who invented the nail. 

Second, I want to point out that although Betz doesn't require intensive Cybex training, it doesn't mean that a prospective Betz patient can't undergo the same intensive training to prepare for LL.  I spent the past year getting in shape, and being as flexible as I can (I can touch the floor standing on 3" of telephone books).  I've also seen patients who would have failed the Cybex tests, but breezed though LL with Betz with virtually no pain.  "Tom", the Betz patient jay7 mentioned, is a perfect example.  He did absolutely no preparation, and yet he is flying through LL faster than most patients (including me) who have spent months preparing. He is in decent shape, but even he admitted that I'm in better shape than he, yet he is obviously more genetically gifted than I am. LL success seems to be highly individualized, and in my opinion, no amount of preparation can ensure how smoothly your LL journey will be.

Ryzerman
LL Patient
MMT Member

Credibility 2

« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2010, 07:32:34 PM »

Bad Boy:

Thank you for taking the time and writing so elaborately.  I agree with you completely.  Your logic is correct.  I merely stated my state of mind and reasoning for why I chose Dr.  Guichet at the time I did.  The question that was posed to me was:" Why did you choose Dr.  Guichet and not Dr.  Betz?" My answer doesn't really say why I chose Dr.  Guichet over Dr.  Betz in particular but rather any doctor. 

As I indicated, I am sure Dr.  Betz is an excellent doctor and has excellent qualifications and experience.  My statements are of course my opinion and nowhere I have asserted that they are the fact. 

Thank you again for your observation.

hanzomon
MMT Member

Credibility 5

« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2010, 05:45:11 PM »

Quote from: Ryzerman link=topic=3324. msg36987#msg36987 date=1273329041

.  .  .   Another very important aspect of doing the LL is the nail itself which is placed in the bones.   There may be several things that could potentially go wrong be it from an unfortunate fall or accident or misuse by the patient or wrong way of clicking, etc.   Dr.   Guichet is the inventor of the nail.   He, more than anyone else or any other doctor in the world, knows about its structure and how it operates. 

I thought to myself, in case that after the surgery I fall or if something goes wrong, I want it to be handled by the same person who knows the nails inside and out better than anyone else.   I thought to myself, what if I am in the shower one day and fall and then break the bone or the nails gets jammed? Who would I want to have it fixed.   Dr.   Guichet or someone else? The answer was very very clear.   There is no question.   Dr.   Guichet is without a doubt, the most qualified doctor in the world to handle any issues related to the nail. 

Hi Ryzerman!

I'm also American, I'm in NYC. 
I too plan on doing my LL with Dr.   Guichet, hopefully next january or next july (extreme difficulty approaching my boss for requesting up to 4-6 months time off work, as this is an ideal job for me and I want to be able to walk near normally before I return to work).    If the boss refuses me though, then I will resign and do the surgery anyways!

I met Dr.   Guichet originally late last october, and then returned to Marseille for a day in December (while on vacation in London) for my leg X rays, DEXA bone scan and Cybex testing.  I've also met with Betz before, in august 2008.    I clearly also believe Guichet is the superior doctor. 

Anyways, I'm so glad to read about your experience so far, as I'm somewhat worried by the lack of Guichet diaries or personal testimonials online, especially from an American/native English speaker!

I was wondering if you have any special words of advice for me?  I am working diligently on my leg stretching and flexibility all the time since my visit with Guichet, and he said my preop Cybex test results were "very good" already.    I too hope for up to 8-9, even 10 cm lengthening if possible. 
By the way, I'm 40 and 5ft 4.  5 cm, completely healthy. 

I am most worried about my independent "daily activities of living" capabilities while living there for 3-4 months, as I can't speak any French either (I am trying to teach myself with the Fluenz language DVDs right now), and as I will be there alone for most of the process!  (I envy that you can utilize your fluent Italian, since I know that Marseille has a history of Italian immigrants.  .  .  .   unfortunately my Spanish and German knowledge is of little use to me now). 

For instance, I noticed that the Residence Calypso is kind of close to that mall with a large supermarket, but how would I manage to get there easily?  Do you use crutches and walk there (including up the stairs behind that restaurant) with a back-pack, or are you lucky to have someone there with you to help?  Does that Pizza restaurant beneath the Calypso have delivery to your apartment?  In an email, Dr.   Guichet made it seem like one can easily get home delivery of gorceries and restaurant food, but I think he under-estimates the problems for a non-French speaker!  I'm glad to read from you that the Calypso has english-speaking staff!

Also, how is the quality of physical training and your interaction with Guichet's professional trainer (especially since it seems very important, and is a daily part of your lengthening experience)?   Does he speak any English, haha?

Any special words of advice from you would be very appreciated, and I wish you total success with your current lengthening! 

Thank you!
Ryzerman
LL Patient
MMT Member

Credibility 2

« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2010, 09:04:55 AM »

hanzomon:

I am glad you joined us in this discussion.  My first word of advice is to continue what you are doing in preparation for the operation.  The more the better.  The more flexible you are, the better you can handle the recovery and faster you can get to your desired height.  For me for example, I prepared for two years and improved my flexibility significantly.  Now I have grown 3 centimeters and have already started noticing that my legs are significantly tighter than when I started.  In fact some sporatic parts of my left leg have become numb.  I told doctor Guichet and he asked me to reduce the number of clickings from 15 per day down to 12.  Basically the more extra flesh and tissue you have, the later stage of the lengthening you will have to slow down.

In general, I am not finding the inability to speak French as being any problem.  During lengthening you will have very limited daily activities other than the exercises prescribled by Dr.  Guichet, so you will find yourself at your apartment pretty much all the time.  Dr.  Guichet of course speaks perfect English and his secretary Magala also does speak English though not as well.  The people who will do your Xrays all do speak good enough English.  The manager at Calypso residence also speaks very well.

Yes, the supermarket Carrefour is right around the corner, but I have not ever gone there after the surgery.  The day before the operation, I went there and bought everything that I needed to live in this apartment as well as all the food I need to live for two to three weeks and I stashed them all in the frig.  When I do need some more food, the manager of the residence is nice enough to go and buy it for me.  All I do is give her a list. . . .  Continued in the next post

Ryzerman
LL Patient
MMT Member

Credibility 2

« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2010, 09:29:36 AM »

... The restaurant downstairs also does have delivery. They gladly deliver anything you order. I ask that the manager order me some food every once in a while. They have a daily special that changes every day. They also have a buffet for lunch, but I think they are a little bit pricey.

There are four trainers that come and take me to the gym. They take turns. Each one of them works on a specific day of the week. They are all fun and very nice, and they all speak English though some better than the others. One of the trainers is from Canada and she speaks perfect English. Their boss whose name is Surg (maybe short for Sergio) is the main trainer and does not speak English that well. I do have problems communicating with him, so whenever I need to speak with him,  I ask the Calypso manager to come and translate for me.

For learning French, may I suggest that you use Rosetta Stone. I know it is a little expensive but it is by far the best and fastest way to learn a new language. It does work. It gives you the ability to read, understand and speak French. However, what can be an excellent complement to it is the Pimsleur language program. This program helps you to actually speak the language. Many people can be very good at a language in comprehending and reading but when it comes to speaking they can't formulate what they want to say or they are slow. Pimsleur helps in that respect.

Good luck with your training.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Make Me Taller! The world's number one elective leg lengthening site! Come here for information about LL, things to make you taller, how to get taller permanently, Ilizarov, Betzbone, Guichet Nail, PRECICE, height growth and other height related issues. This is the number one leg lengthening forum for height seekers and people trying to become taller. It was created and run by people who have actually done leg lengthening surgery (LL).

As a community site, MMT forum thrives on people's contributions, so please feel free to share your make me taller questions, videos, photos and experiences here in this leg lengthening forum. Make me taller is open to all, but please read the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) before posting as this will answer nearly all of your questions about getting taller through surgery. Please read our leg lengthening diaries too! We hope that you find this forum useful. Cheers, SysOp.