MMT Community
January 21, 2019, 02:23:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Words of wisdom from SysOp:
"Height is like money. It is insignificant only to those who have plenty of it." Tongue

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tombiezombie - External Femurs - Dr. Xia - 2010 - The zombie has landed!  (Read 27151 times)
LittleScare
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2010, 11:52:59 PM »

Good to see that all is well TZ.  I'm curious to see your frames also.  Keep up the good fight against those bloodlusting mosquitos.  Annoying little things, I spatted one the other day that must have drained a pint from my leg.  It's nice to see that you all are making the best of your time over there.

LittleScare
tombiezombie
LL Warrior
MMT Member

Credibility 11

Driven to distraction

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2010, 02:35:07 AM »

All is good right now and its gone quiet on the mosquito front L.S. so either they have fallen back to regroup or that's their 2010 campaign done. I'll try to hunt down someone with a camera in the next few days and get some pics up of the dreaded femoral frames, so hopefully will have them on here soon. I did see a Chinese patient with the full Ilizarov femoral hoops JackOlife, mine are the lateral type that just fit on the outside of my legs. To be honest the old skool frames look really hardcore and I'm glad they gave me the alternative type!

Not much else to report at the moment, and when your doing LL no news is good news.  Cheesy

T.Z.
a.w
n00b

Credibility 0

« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2010, 06:54:17 AM »

Quote from: tombiezombie link=topic=3449. msg38476#msg38476 date=1282862636
Legolas: Thanks for the welcome message and yeah I have some stories from Russia too!

Moshe: The total cost was 24k euros, they bumped the price up a month before I arrived but this was mainly due to the weakening euro.   Ronne told me they would let me stay for an extra month though seeing as I was paying the new price.   I get the impression there might be a little room for bargaining but bear in mind you want the best care and maybe they cut corners if you pay less. 

Shark: Cheers for the message. 

Hi zombie,
Could you please tell me how was your operation in Russia, drs, care, hospital, coz i have booked to go to kurgan next April.
tombiezombie
LL Warrior
MMT Member

Credibility 11

Driven to distraction

« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2010, 11:28:16 AM »

27th Sept.

Some photo's of frames as requested. Will maybe add some of me walking around at some point because these don't look too inspiring but you can get a good idea of how the frame works at least. My legs are looking pretty scrawny now too as you can see but this happens to everyone here over time so don't let it scare you.

http://s1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee435/tombiezombie/Beijing/

Enjoy,

T.Z.
tombiezombie
LL Warrior
MMT Member

Credibility 11

Driven to distraction

« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2010, 11:53:00 AM »

Hi zombie,
Could you please tell me how was your operation in Russia, drs, care, hospital, coz i have booked to go to kurgan next April.

hi a.w.

I went to Volgograd for my tibea surgery so have no experience of the hospital in Kurgan. My hospital was very basic but the docs. and care were good without being great. I got mine done for 11,000 so for the money I was very happy overall. I know Kurgan is more famous and more expensive so I would guess the care and facilities are great as you generally get what you pay for. The Volgograd surgery was just one floor of a state run Veterans hospital full of Battle of Stalingrad veterans so to be honest was quite a gloomy place to be. I would recommend it though to anyone wanting to do tibeas on a budget who doesn't mind roughing it but be advised they really push you to your limit regarding recovery and exercise. I heard they moved to a different hospital now anyway. Kurgan sounds the best bet in Russia though, I was considering there for femurs but ended up coming to Beijing.

T.Z.
a.w
n00b

Credibility 0

« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2010, 01:27:31 PM »

Quote from: tombiezombie link=topic=3449. msg39198#msg39198 date=1285588380
hi a. w.

I went to Volgograd for my tibea surgery so have no experience of the hospital in Kurgan.  My hospital was very basic but the docs.  and care were good without being great.  I got mine done for 11,000 so for the money I was very happy overall.  I know Kurgan is more famous and more expensive so I would guess the care and facilities are great as you generally get what you pay for.  The Volgograd surgery was just one floor of a state run Veterans hospital full of Battle of Stalingrad veterans so to be honest was quite a gloomy place to be.  I would recommend it though to anyone wanting to do tibeas on a budget who doesn't mind roughing it but be advised they really push you to your limit regarding recovery and exercise.  I heard they moved to a different hospital now anyway.  Kurgan sounds the best bet in Russia though, I was considering there for femurs but ended up coming to Beijing.

T. Z.
thanks for your reply and i hope you get well soon.
jack0life
Handsome Mod
LL Hero
MMT Expert

Credibility 315

« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2010, 05:17:54 AM »

T.Z.

They need to do a half Ilizarov frame that cover just the upper part of your thighs.
I don't see how can you wear a full ring as you would be resting your thighs on the rings while laying down.
The advantage of wearing the Ilizarov frame is that it provide much better support and less chance of misalignment.
The bar frame is nice and more comfortable but I'm weary of the support.

Every cm was TORTURE.
Went from 158cm to 166cm in Beijing !!
Moshe
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 157

« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2010, 04:24:28 PM »

Hey TZ I sent you a PM with a couple questions about your last procedure, if you could answe them, that would me much appreciated  Smiley

gravy
MMT Member

Credibility -6

« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2010, 09:58:40 PM »

hi a.w.

I went to Volgograd for my tibea surgery so have no experience of the hospital in Kurgan. My hospital was very basic but the docs. and care were good without being great. I got mine done for 11,000 so for the money I was very happy overall. I know Kurgan is more famous and more expensive so I would guess the care and facilities are great as you generally get what you pay for. The Volgograd surgery was just one floor of a state run Veterans hospital full of Battle of Stalingrad veterans so to be honest was quite a gloomy place to be. I would recommend it though to anyone wanting to do tibeas on a budget who doesn't mind roughing it but be advised they really push you to your limit regarding recovery and exercise. I heard they moved to a different hospital now anyway. Kurgan sounds the best bet in Russia though, I was considering there for femurs but ended up coming to Beijing.

T.Z.

Hi TZ,

What do you mean by saying they "really push you to your limit regarding recovery and exercise?"

Thanks

Gravy
Halo
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 88

« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2010, 01:51:06 PM »

Hi TZ,

How is the movie nights coming along? I've been thinking of you guys since I left. Let me know how you are doing?

Halo
tombiezombie
LL Warrior
MMT Member

Credibility 11

Driven to distraction

« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2010, 01:03:58 AM »

Hi TZ,

What do you mean by saying they "really push you to your limit regarding recovery and exercise?"

Thanks

Gravy

By this I mean they will make you walk everywhere, there are no wheelchairs and from the day after surgery you have to walk to go to the bathroom and also to get your bandages changed. After a few weeks you also have physio 5 days a week and this is absolute torture. i have heard grown men crying from the pain and if you don't go they will come and get you out of bed! Having said this, the results are great and you can expect to walk without crutches by the 3rd month so the suffering really pays off. In contrast Beijing is very relaxed and the patients rarely do any exercise but they tend to have more problems as a result (such as knee bending and ballerina foot).

tombiezombie
LL Warrior
MMT Member

Credibility 11

Driven to distraction

« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2010, 01:15:54 AM »

Hi TZ,

How is the movie nights coming along? I've been thinking of you guys since I left. Let me know how you are doing?

Hey Dude,

How is life back home? Have you taken your baby for a drive yet? Don't forget to change the driving position first  Cheesy Things here are kinda quiet now, don't worry you're not missing any drama. If there is any i'll keep you posted (unless it involves me!). we have watched all **** movies now I think so just been rockin' Youku instead. They are making a shitload of noise from the construction site out the front. i watched Terminator 3 with **** yesterday and the windows started rattling from the the rumble of a cement mixer outside my window and this continued into the night so didn't sleep to well. I have now learnt to love my extra frame and am back on the walker so things are good right now. Also I got another xray and the bone is finally distracting properly on the right leg so I'm gonna go nuts turning to make sure it won't fuse again...where did i leave the Trimodols? How are peeps reacting to the return of the LL veteran?

Keep me posted

Teezee
Halo
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 88

« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2010, 08:32:13 AM »

TZ,

I am enjoying the house but it is difficult to move around. The house was not made for the handicap. I wished I had stayed another 3-4 weeks depending on how I walked. Its like the first week or two after the frames on. I'll be a lot happier once I start to walk. But I am not complaining, after all this is a new start for me.

Business in Beijing is booming, and looks like you are getting a heated swimming pool (joke, but be awesome).

Since your bone growth is good, I agree with going nuts and just keep turning.

Halo.
P.S. I just posted a new picture on my diary.

Halo
tombiezombie
LL Warrior
MMT Member

Credibility 11

Driven to distraction

« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2010, 11:49:35 AM »

Diary 23 Oct.

Wow time is really passing by these days! Can't believe I have been in Beijing a week short of three months. I'm fast becoming a Guang Ji veteran and looking forward to the awesome and slightly surreal day when my frames will be unbolted and returned to the storeroom shelf.  Wink

Since my last post I have had a bit of a bumpy ride, mostly caused by another fusion on my right femur which had to be broken under general anaesthetic and this time supported with a new addition to my lateral frames. Dr Pong attached a standard Ilizarov hoop plus a semi circle to my existing frame and drilled another pin into the inside of my femur to give the frame more stability and more leverage to distract my bone. This was quite painful for the first week but I have recovered fairly well now and can do all the things I could do before the extra bits were added. More importantly my last xray shows the femur distracting well so it appears finally I should have no more dramas (at least fusion related). The downside to this latest surgery is that I have lost the range of movement in my right knee as the new pin goes right through the top of the femur by the knee joint and when I bend my knee I get a sharp pain from inside. The Docs tell me this should improve as my leg stretches and it has improved slightly but a long way to go yet!

So that's about everything up to date with the legs, other news from here is that the weather is now nice n cool most days but soon will frosty in the mornings according to the locals here. i really need to add to my Ilizarov wardrobe as I've been rockin the same tartan pattern XXL shorts for 3 months now lol. Must send maid to the shops to get me something warm that fits!

T.Z.
LittleScare
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2010, 11:16:44 PM »

How is everything going Zombie. . .  get any new warm gear yet?
tombiezombie
LL Warrior
MMT Member

Credibility 11

Driven to distraction

« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2010, 04:39:22 AM »

Hey peepcicles!

There is light at the end of the tunnel!  Shocked My last x-rays confirmed 4cm (L) and 3cm (R) last week so am FAIRLY confident I have seen the back of fusions and frame malfunctions. My final goal is 5cm so I'm over the hill and currently freewheeling down the other side (in a rusty Rover Metro, for the inquisitive) with minimal pain and just a token dose of discomfort!  Wink My biggest enemy is boredom at the moment, I came to China with good intentions to study Mandarin and also improve my Russian but in practice it's very distracting having broken legs and my maximum time sat on a chair without going nuts from aches and pains is around 30mins. so not ideal conditions for trying to absorb bizarre and exotic languages! I'm happy to report my PSP still loves me and I can chill in bed and button bash away the hours but I do feel slightly guilty that my Mandarin is so lame after 3 and a half months and still mainly consists of pointing at things and nodding.

If my calculations are accurate I should be done turning by December 1st so in theory should have frames removed around 21st. If I supplied the paper I wonder if my docs. would be happy to gift-wrap my new legs immediately after frame removal so when I wake up I have something to open on Xmas Day?....would be the best present ever! I realise I'm getting a bit carried away and there could be more complications along the way but I feel more positive now and just the look of my legs growing is really lifting my spirits. I should however point out that I too have been affected by B.H.K.S. (Beijing hairy knee syndrome), it's quite a strange phenomenon but after initially feeling a bit freakish I have learned to love my new hairy knees and have no intentions to wax or hide them from the world.  Grin

Other things to mention here are the new patients who have just recently arrived or had surgery. We have welcomed five new LL'ers into the madhouse in recent weeks so it seems there is a constant supply of fresh meat here and it seems more are arriving than leaving at the moment which gives you an idea of the popularity/confidence people have in this hospital.

Will post after next X-rays.....

T.Z.

ET
Lurker

Credibility 0

« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2010, 03:36:54 AM »

Hi Good to hear.  I m sorry i hv to write here to ask abt how to create a new post as I hv completed my surgery in Singapore with Dr Singh.  I would like to share my experience of tibia lengthening with ISKD.  Kindly let me knw how i can post .  thanks

rgds
ET
The short one
n00b

Credibility 0

« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2011, 09:54:12 AM »

Hi there tombiezombie, thank you for sharing your experiences.  I am a 20 year old male, and I am very interested in doing the LL surgery.  My height is only 161 cm, so I feel kinda small, and it affects me.  I would like to lenghten 5-6 cm (femur).  I will be very satisfied with "just" 5 cm, I dont want to take any risks, and I do not want to spend so much time in a hospital.  Im am trying to figure out where to have the surgery done, but I am quite confused.  Kurgan, Betz institute or maybe in Beijing? My parents are quite sceptical to China, but for me the most important thing is to bee in good hands during the treatment.  So what do you think about the doctors over there in China? And what do you think about the duration, it will take like 2 month to lenghen 5,5 cm right? And how much will it cost me?

Thank you for your answers :)
tarnor
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 75

Hi from Beijing

« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2011, 08:08:14 AM »

Hi my friend,
I'm so pleased u have successfully competed your treatment with a great result.
I will be missing our spanish conversations and Malibu drinks.
All the best and stay in touch.  Grin
tarnor
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 75

Hi from Beijing

« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2011, 12:32:46 AM »

Good luck Zombie!!!!
I'm still very sad u left the hospital but on the other hand extremely happy for u.
Please stay in touch and all the best.  :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Make Me Taller! The world's number one elective leg lengthening site! Come here for information about LL, things to make you taller, how to get taller permanently, Ilizarov, Betzbone, Guichet Nail, PRECICE, height growth and other height related issues. This is the number one leg lengthening forum for height seekers and people trying to become taller. It was created and run by people who have actually done leg lengthening surgery (LL).

As a community site, MMT forum thrives on people's contributions, so please feel free to share your make me taller questions, videos, photos and experiences here in this leg lengthening forum. Make me taller is open to all, but please read the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) before posting as this will answer nearly all of your questions about getting taller through surgery. Please read our leg lengthening diaries too! We hope that you find this forum useful. Cheers, SysOp.