MMT Community
January 21, 2019, 01:53:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SysOp is not here to make friends - he is here to keep this forum running smoothly and make sure that it stays the most informative site about LL in the world.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tarnor - External Tibias - Dr. Xia - 2010 - Rising to the Challenge  (Read 68324 times)
tarnor
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 75

Hi from Beijing

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2011, 03:24:11 PM »

hi Baller,

Turning rate depends on your X-ray and new bone growth.
Soon after my surgery ( around 10 days after) I was turning 6x, which is 1mm - but remember I got a double cut so turning is a bit different, because I have to turn upper and lower screws. Anyway, the pattern I was doing was equal to 6 turns of a single cut, so 1mm a day.

In about 3 weeks I had another X-ray and my doctor told me to slow down to 4 turns a day, which is about 0.6 mm a day.
Then I had a period of 3 turns, to get better bone growth.
Basically, the ratio depends on the X-ray and new bone growth. In my case I had one leg slightly longer than the other, so doctors adjusted my turning pattern to correct this problem as well.

Because I was calculated that I will be doing 1 mm a day and in reality I do less, 0.6 or even 0.5 during some periods I had to add extra time for the lengthening phase, therefore had to prolong my stay in the hospital for about 1.5 months.
When I'm back in UK I still allowed myself 3 more weeks off before I start my main work (but it's mostly sitting job), yet diving and fitness business will wait much longer.
I hope to go to the gym and the swimming pool, but as a private person not as an instructor, until I get my full fitness back.

In terms of my aim, initially it was 8 cm. Right now I'm above 5 cm - will have another x-ray next week so will post the current number here.
Passing 5 cm I noticed that my muscles get bit tighter than before, but I added extra time for stretching, and so far I got full mobility and no issues.
However, I watch my body respond very closely and even though my aim is 8, I will stop when I feel like I starting loosing muscle power or correct respond to all my stretching routine or will be unable to walk.

But fingers crossed, so far it's ok, my calves are bit tighter but still plenty of room to go Grin
Based on what I have seen so far in the hospital, I'm 100 % sure that initial fitness is a big factor.
TIP:
The fitter you are before the surgery, the better you deal with the treatment.
So I would strongly advise to all potential LL patients not to forget about gym, swimming pool and stretching before the surgery Cheesy
tarnor
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 75

Hi from Beijing

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2011, 04:10:05 AM »

The party to say good-bye to our great british friend.
We miss u very much!!! Sad
http://www.flickr.com/photos/59796274@N03/5472426623/in/photostream/
chlor
MMT Member

Credibility 3

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2011, 09:51:04 PM »

Hey tarnor,

Hopefully you and the others at Beijing have noticed that the site is back up.   I hope everything's going smoothly for you, and your gym routine :)

Is it time for an update on how you're doing?
MMTA
Former Site Admin
Administrator
MMT Expert

Credibility 1036

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2011, 10:17:20 PM »

The party to say good-bye to our great british friend.
We miss u very much!!! Sad
http://www.flickr.com/photos/59796274@N03/5472426623/in/photostream/

I remember those great parties in Beijing - they were so much fun!

tarnor
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 75

Hi from Beijing

« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2011, 03:43:03 PM »

hi again, Grin
I'm glad to see that the site is on again.
I'm still in the hospital. Recently few international patients had left and few more will be coming shortly.
In terms of my progress - I'm around 7 cm now and still will try to reach my target, however I might stop at 7.5cm.
So far it has taken 4 months of lengthening to reach 7 cm. For me is more mental rather then physical challenge.
I definitely feel much taller which compensates discomfort and some slight pain.
crazy+6
LL Warrior
MMT Expert

Credibility 273

U HAVE ONLY ONE LIFE TO DO ALL THE THINGS U WANT

« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2011, 12:16:05 PM »

Congrats for reaching 7 cm

look forward to read more.

God Bless

Crazy+6

YES !! I did it - Journey of becoming tall - From 5'4" to 5'11" in India

Current status:- Struggling to get my normal life back.

"Hope is a good thing, May be the best of thing, and no good things ever dies"
chlor
MMT Member

Credibility 3

« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2011, 06:13:27 AM »

Hey Tarnor,

Great to hear from you. . . and that you're doing okay! Honestly of all the active diaries on this site I was missing yours the most while the site was down.   Since I'm also a Beijing hopeful and really admire your workout routine even during LL.

I just wish you the best in reaching your lengthening goal. . .

You say that the mental challenges have been harder than the physical ones.   Could you tell us a little about what sort of mental challenges you've been facing?  Is it regrets or some doubts about going thru LL?  Or is it boredom?  By physical do you mean the physical pain? 

I will likely be coming to Dr.  Xia for a consultation this July.   Hope to meet you in person soon :)
tarnor
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 75

Hi from Beijing

« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2011, 02:15:08 PM »

Hi Chlor,

Nice to hear from you as well. When you come for consultation in July I won't be here. I'm planing to go back to England around mid June.
At the moment I'm around 7.5cm and only few more days of turning left.

When I mentioned mental challenge I meant few things - boredom, homesickness, missing friends and surprisingly my work as well.
The good solution for this is to set up some targets you want to achieve when you get so much time suddenly.
In my case it was to improve my spanish, and take some courses on line in my professional field. Therefore, I try to study spanish everyday and do lots of reading. I was lucky because one patient  was also interested in studying spanish, so everyday we met and studied together. Now he left the hospital, so I carry on studying alone.

I talk to my friends and family very often on Skype, but the longer you are away the more you miss them.

I was quite lucky during my lengthening stage since I didn't have much pain and major problems. Just experienced few pin infections. Recently I reduced the amount of walking and working out because my body can't take it at the moment. I get tired much quicker than before and I don't have as much strength as I had during first three months. However, it doesn't mean I stopped working out - just  cut it down. Cool
I also noticed that all stretching, standing and working out is more effective in the morning than in the afternoon. So I try to be more active physically in the morning and do reading and studying in the afternoon.

I will be leaving my mini gym behind so you and other patients will be able to use it. Hopefully, Ronne will place it in the hospital gym room so it will be available to all. Right now I keep it in my room, but anyone who wants to use it is always more than welcome.

You asked me if I regret what I've done. Well, I've stopped working, which means I don't earn money, I've stopped diving, going to proper gym, I've lost weight but I've achieved my dream - I really got taller and feel great with it. So no regrets!!!!
My work is waiting for me, gym is still in the same building and lakes are full of water - so I will catch up with everything being 8 cm taller. Smiley
As you see I'm very optimistic person, and always try to get the best from the worst situation - it helps in life. haha.

If you have more questions, please feel free to ask.

Hopefully at the end of this week I will officially stop lengthening so it will be time to celebrate with my friends here - which means some vodka...... Grin

tarnor
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 75

Hi from Beijing

« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2011, 02:19:57 PM »

hi Crazy,

Looks like you are doing very well as well.
Looking forward to read your diary.

Take care and all the best.
jailair
MMT Member

Credibility 3

« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2011, 03:49:18 PM »

hi tarnor,

although you are about to complete your lenghtening phase,  let me wish you good luck and a smooth recovery!

i'm spanish,  if you ever want to test your spanish with a quick chat please let me know : )
SomedaySoon
LL Patient
MMT Member

Credibility 2

« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2011, 07:59:11 PM »

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but since you're in Beijing it's best to ask here.
Is the internet access wifi or just network cables?
tarnor
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 75

Hi from Beijing

« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2011, 01:24:48 AM »

hi Jailair Cheesy

Many thanks for best wishes. Yes, I've almost finished lengthening but still lots of work to do in terms of recovery. I will be staying in the hospital until mid June.
If you were here I would definitely ask you for help with my spanish. Having a spanish native speaker around would be a great coincidence  Wink

All the best.
tarnor
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 75

Hi from Beijing

« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2011, 01:28:00 AM »

hi Somedaysoon,

We have cable network. I got a router from a former patient so my computer is connected to network wirelessly.

take care.
baller
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2011, 01:32:47 AM »

Thanks for sharing your experiences with us Tanor. You said you are planning to leave in mid-June. That would mean you're staying in Beijing for almost 7 months (since your surgery in late November). That seems longer than most patients. Are you giving yourself extra time in Beijing to consolidate? Are you paying extra for the additional months?
sam
Challenge with Dr. Salameh in Syria
LL Hero
MMT Member

Credibility 68

« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2011, 06:35:16 AM »

Congratulations for finishing your lengthening and i hope your consolidation phase will go smoothly. Cheesy
Iam sure you don't have any regrets because you did the op.Getting long is a blessing Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

The 1000 miles journey
tarnor
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 75

Hi from Beijing

« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2011, 12:19:39 PM »

hi baller,

For 8 cm, 7 months is average. I started turning (lengthening) on 6th December and will finish around 20th April. So it took me slightly longer than 4 months for lengthening. Then have to wait around 3 weeks until frames will be removed, which brings me to mid of May. Theoretically, I could book my flight at the end of May, however I prefer to stay in the hospital 2-3 weeks longer to get stronger before flying back.

If I lived with family I would probably leave the hospital sooner but because I live alone I prefer to get more independent before returning.

Yes, there is a small charge for extra stay in the hospital, but it's negotiable.

Previous patients who did 8+ cm also stayed around 7 months. Unfortunately, there is no way around.
If you speed up with lengthening you risk longer rehabilitation phase and possible complications. Not worth, better to do turning slower and get on your feet quicker.

Even though I was turning around 0.66 mm a day (on average) I still fight with some ballerina foot. I think 8 cm for me is the upper limit and it would be too risky to be even tempted to do more.

luffy
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 78

« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2011, 05:27:27 AM »

Congratulations for getting done with the turning tarnor.  Wish you will have a fast recovery
chlor
MMT Member

Credibility 3

« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2011, 06:10:13 AM »

Hey Tarnor,

It's too bad I won't be seeing you during my consultation in July Sad

But when I do come, do you think I can still catch many patients at various stages of lengthening to chat with?  That would be fantastic.  By the way, how are the other patients currently doing? Is there any way you can tell them about the MMT forum so that they can post their diaries too?  It'd be a real treat to see more LL experiences... although yours is spectacular so far Smiley

Finally- have a safe trip home!
Auir
n00b

Credibility 0

« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2011, 09:58:06 AM »

Hey Tarnor i really appreciate your diary, it has been a fun read and congrats on reaching your goal.  I am just wondering what kind of physical conditioning would you recommend to do before going to Beijing and how much stretching now do you think would help later on during the leg lengthening process.  I only ask this because i have really poor flexibility
Fancygyal
n00b

Credibility 0

« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2011, 02:23:27 PM »

Congrats on your journey so far and cm gained.
Good luck on consolidation.  Keep us posted:)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Make Me Taller! The world's number one elective leg lengthening site! Come here for information about LL, things to make you taller, how to get taller permanently, Ilizarov, Betzbone, Guichet Nail, PRECICE, height growth and other height related issues. This is the number one leg lengthening forum for height seekers and people trying to become taller. It was created and run by people who have actually done leg lengthening surgery (LL).

As a community site, MMT forum thrives on people's contributions, so please feel free to share your make me taller questions, videos, photos and experiences here in this leg lengthening forum. Make me taller is open to all, but please read the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) before posting as this will answer nearly all of your questions about getting taller through surgery. Please read our leg lengthening diaries too! We hope that you find this forum useful. Cheers, SysOp.