MMT Community
January 21, 2019, 01:22:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: MMTA has written a book about about his LL journey.  Click here to buy it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Luffy - External Tibias - Dr. Xia - 2011  (Read 56990 times)
luffy
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 78

« on: May 26, 2011, 10:09:27 AM »

I wanted to share some of the pix I took during my consultation so I guess I start my diary early  Grin I'm not a good writer and very bad with grammars so don't expect long posts from my diary lol but I love to post pictures so expect a lot of pictures to come.

A little bit about myself, I'm from Asia and am about the height of Jack0Life so his diaries really inspired me. I knew about LL many years ago and tried to search for some information on the internet but I found nothing. There was so little information that I gave up and eventually forgot about LL. Not until I found the MMT forums in Jan 2011. I was so amazed with all the diaries from the members. This is exactly what I was looking for many years ago. I wanted to read people's experiences and see how they do it. I spent hours after hours reading all the diaries and finally considered Beijing to do my LL.

The funny thing is I was still undecided whether or not to do LL after I have read all the diaries. When the MMT site was down, I thought that the site's domain was hacked and that there was a slim chance that MMT Admin could get the domain back. I waited for two months for the site to come back but it was not. I tried to search for alternative domains of the site, see if MMT Admin registered another domain and brought the site back. At the time I thought that God has led me to this site before it was down forever lol.
I went to Beijing for a consultation in late April and will be back in late June to have the surgery

Here are the pictures. On the way to the hospital. Still in the same old Volkswagen that some LL vets has mentioned about. Probably the same driver too  Grin He didn't speak English but he was very friendly. Always sing along with his Chinese music while driving  Grin

The front of the hospital. I arrived at the back door to the court yard though

Inside the newly constructed hospital

The entrance to the operating room

The courtyard. They were installing water pipes underground

The Operating Room

The wing on the Operating Room

The opposite wing. I stayed in this wing

My room. It was a double room

cdrom
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 3

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 05:37:39 PM »

Could you tell us a bit more about your actually consultation session?  Information such as whether there was any physical check? How many cm did Dr. Xia recommend you to lengthen? I know he doesn't require pre-surgery exercise but did he suggest a any type of exercise for better outcome?

Nice pics.  Looking forward to reading your diary even though I will get to see you going thru LL in RL since I'll be there in June as well.
tarnor
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 75

Hi from Beijing

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 10:22:45 PM »

Hi, hi, hi, hi my friend,

Congratulations on starting your diary. Great photos. Now the hospital looks even better than few weeks ago. They cleaned all area outside, planted some trees and flowers. It's a pleasure to hang out outside.
See you very soon in Beijing again.
Good luck

tarnor
luffy
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 78

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 04:12:59 AM »

Hi cdrom,

I had a blood test and X-ray before the consultation. The doctor took x-ray of my tibias, femurs, shoulders, and lungs. There was no physical check.
Currently the main surgeons at Beijing are Dr. Pung and Dr. Han, Dr.Pung is like the man in charge of the hospital now. You don't see Dr. Xia at consultations anymore. At the consultation, Dr. Pung measured my bones and he agreed with my goal, which is 8 cm. My femurs were 9 cm longer than my tibias so my proportion would be OK. My left leg was 4 mm longer than my right leg and I have a little bit of X-leg. Dr. Pung said that can be corrected as well.

He suggested an S cut to me, so my tibias will have a single cut with an S shape. After lengthening, the nail will be inserted into the tibias and locked. So they are doing LATN now. All patients who recently had the surgery all had the S cut. Dr. Pung said that S cut and LATN are better for bone formation. Ronne estimated that I will need 5.5 months to do 8 cm

If everything went well and no major complications, I would have the frames off within 5 months. Here's my calculation:

10 days after the surgery + 122 days of lengthening at 0.66 cm a day + 20 waiting days after lengthening to take off the frames = 152 days which is about 5 months
That's just a rough estimate, if I have to stop lengthening due to infections or other problems then it will takes longer

The consultation was brief, it was like 15 minutes lol To be honest I didn't prepared for the consultation lol. I didn't asked many questions. My mind was set to do LL in Beijing so going to the consultation or not does not matter to my decision. I went to the consultation jus mainly to take my dad there to see the hospital and the staff because my parents were freaked out with the idea of going to China to do something like this. I also wanted to check out the hospital first and talk to some of the current patients.

I do feel confidents with the doctors in Beijing.  They sure have experiences and know what they are doing. I was a little bit concerned with the S cut because the method was kinda new and so far only 60 patients had this S cut, according to Ronne. Dr. Pung showed me X-rays of previous patients to let me see that S cut is good for bone formation. Current patients who had S cut seem to be happy with the method too. So I trusted the doctors that this new method is good for me and Iím not just a geinue pig lol

Hey tarnor, thanks lol Is it getting hot in Beijing now? It was a little bit quite when I was there.
crazy+6
LL Warrior
MMT Expert

Credibility 273

U HAVE ONLY ONE LIFE TO DO ALL THE THINGS U WANT

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 01:18:45 AM »

Hey Luffy,

Congratulations on starting diary.

Great pictures.

I am sure you are gonna give a very inspirational diary to this LL community.

Best of Luck

God Bless
Crazy+6

YES !! I did it - Journey of becoming tall - From 5'4" to 5'11" in India

Current status:- Struggling to get my normal life back.

"Hope is a good thing, May be the best of thing, and no good things ever dies"
chlor
MMT Member

Credibility 3

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 01:21:49 AM »

Luffy-- every time I see a new diary from Beijing I get super pumped.  So thanks very much for sharing your experience.  Add to that, you're a good photographer too!  This is destined to be a very visual diary.  Congrats on starting your journey.
luffy
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 78

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 03:51:08 AM »

Thanks Crazy and chlor  Wink

chlor, I'm not even a photographer, let alone a good photographer lol I'm just trying to share as much pictures as I can because when reading the diaries, I always looked for pictures. It gave me a visual of the place and how the procedure was done.
bugsy
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2011, 08:26:55 AM »

luffy,
how much were they charging also are they honoring the mmt 10% discount still?

Thanks
luffy
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 78

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2011, 09:20:07 AM »

Hi bugsy,

24,000 Euro for 5 months stay and no 10% discount
bugsy
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2011, 09:46:24 PM »

luffy,

I emailed the hospital about 2days ago and I have not received a reply. How did you contact them also how long does it take for them usually to respond? website says withing 24hrs but thats not been the case

thanks
luffy
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 78

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2011, 10:18:11 PM »

bugsy, the main contact email took a bit longer to receive replies. It's best to email Ronne directly. You can email her at
Code:
leglengthening@yahoo.com.cn

She doesn't answer emails on weekend though
bugsy
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2011, 05:11:28 AM »

thanks luffy
chlor
MMT Member

Credibility 3

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2011, 09:40:04 PM »

Hey Luffy,

During the consultation, did you speak with any of the main doctors?  Drs. Peng, Zhao, Ma, Li.  Were they generally supportive of your decision or proactively discouraging you (like here in the U.S., I heard).  Were there words comforting, or generally matter-of-fact, telling you like it is.  Thanks.
luffy
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 78

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2011, 10:15:35 PM »

Hi chlor,

I spoke with Dr. Peng at the consultation. During my stay there, I only seen Dr.Peng, Dr.Han, and some other young doctors at the office. Dr. Peng agreed with my goal. I think going for 8 cm is not that uncommon in Beijing.
chlor
MMT Member

Credibility 3

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2011, 04:05:32 AM »

Hey Luffy,

How are you doing? Smiley 

How are you dealing with the thought of your operation at the end of the month?  I don't want to make you more anxious than you may already be, but just want to see how you're handling things.  If it was me I imagine I'd be very nervous at this time.  Even though I know I won't be getting LL not for at least another year (due to job situation), every time I think about it (which is frequently), I have this feeling of impending doom.  I know that you have to stay positive to be successful with LL, but I can't help it but feel this way sometimes. 

Besides the mental preparation, are you starting to pack for things to bring to Beijing, stretch your legs, etc.?  Thanks for sharing.
cdrom
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 3

« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2011, 05:23:18 AM »

Hey Luffy,

How are you doing? Smiley 

How are you dealing with the thought of your operation at the end of the month?  I don't want to make you more anxious than you may already be, but just want to see how you're handling things.  If it was me I imagine I'd be very nervous at this time.  Even though I know I won't be getting LL not for at least another year (due to job situation), every time I think about it (which is frequently), I have this feeling of impending doom.  I know that you have to stay positive to be successful with LL, but I can't help it but feel this way sometimes. 

Besides the mental preparation, are you starting to pack for things to bring to Beijing, stretch your legs, etc.?  Thanks for sharing.

I'll be in Beijing 2 weeks ahead of Luffy.  I can say that I am actually more excited than nervous.  It is always a common belief that after 21, you are stuck with your height.  To know that I am about to defy that belief, I actually feel excited.  LL is life changing adventure to achieve a new height.  For that, we should embrace the excitement! 
luffy
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 78

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2011, 02:47:19 AM »

Same here, I'm very excited and can't wait to start the journey. I guess I won't feel nervous until I'm getting ready to get on the operating table lol I'm a bit curious about the journey too. Reading all the diaries, I'm expecting a painful and difficult journey to come but I have no idea how hard it's gonna be so I'm a bit curious to find out. I'm also determined to work as hard as I can to be successful with LL and achieve my goal. It's my challenge and I'm excited to start it because a big reward is waiting for my at the end Cheesy

I'm pretty much bought all the necessary things for the trip. Portable laptop table with cooler fans included. I spend a lot of time on computer so it will be useful for me. But I hope I won't have to use my laptop too much because I also wanted to change my lifestyle during this journey. I want to be more socialize with other people instead of sitting in front of my computer all day long like I have been doing for years lol. I will be also working during the procedure. I only need to work a few hours a day so I still have plenty of time to do exercises.

Anther important thing that I bring is aloe vera gel and supplements. Maybe Aloe Vera is not widely known so I have not seen anybody used it during the procedure. I have been using aloe vera to speed up the healing whenever I have a wound. It worked great and it also helped to fight infections. My dad had a serious cut on his finger before and I bought him a bottle of aloe vera gel. His finger healed so fast that even the doctor surprised with the progress of the healing. Another thing I bring to help with the healing is Neosporin + Pain Relief. Neosporin is really good for speeding up the healing and it also has antibiotic to fight infections.   

Some other stuff I bring with me are moisturizing gels for the legs. Some veterans said that applying the gel everyday can minimize the scars and ease the itching on legs at night. Ensure milk to drink for the first few days after the surgery as moving around will be limited for the first week. Last but not least, supplements. I bought whey proteins, calcium, multivitamins and vitamin C. I will also have to compose a list of necessary things that I will buy in China. 

My goal is at least walking on crutches when I come back so I'm planning to stay there for a month to recover after everything is done. I definitely don't want my parents to see me go back in wheelchair so that's also another reason I will work as hard as I can during the procedure. Even better if I can go back without crutches lol. I told my parents about the surgery, but they didn't know how serious it is. So I want to go back walking as normal as I can.
chlor
MMT Member

Credibility 3

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2011, 07:57:11 AM »

Thank you both, cdrom and luffy.  Your thoughts are very insightful.  I'll be eagerly watching this space for any updates Smiley
tarnor
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 75

Hi from Beijing

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2011, 08:12:53 PM »

hi Luffy,

You are well prepared and focused, which is a big plus. I will be staying in the hospital 2 weeks longer, so we will meet again.

I remember I was more excited than nervous. It is a great feeling that you can cheat on nature a bit haha.

See you very soon again.
crazy+6
LL Warrior
MMT Expert

Credibility 273

U HAVE ONLY ONE LIFE TO DO ALL THE THINGS U WANT

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2011, 06:40:30 AM »

Same here, I'm very excited and can't wait to start the journey. I guess I won't feel nervous until I'm getting ready to get on the operating table lol I'm a bit curious about the journey too. Reading all the diaries, I'm expecting a painful and difficult journey to come but I have no idea how hard it's gonna be so I'm a bit curious to find out. I'm also determined to work as hard as I can to be successful with LL and achieve my goal. It's my challenge and I'm excited to start it because a big reward is waiting for my at the end Cheesy

I'm pretty much bought all the necessary things for the trip. Portable laptop table with cooler fans included. I spend a lot of time on computer so it will be useful for me. But I hope I won't have to use my laptop too much because I also wanted to change my lifestyle during this journey. I want to be more socialize with other people instead of sitting in front of my computer all day long like I have been doing for years lol. I will be also working during the procedure. I only need to work a few hours a day so I still have plenty of time to do exercises.

Anther important thing that I bring is aloe vera gel and supplements. Maybe Aloe Vera is not widely known so I have not seen anybody used it during the procedure. I have been using aloe vera to speed up the healing whenever I have a wound. It worked great and it also helped to fight infections. My dad had a serious cut on his finger before and I bought him a bottle of aloe vera gel. His finger healed so fast that even the doctor surprised with the progress of the healing. Another thing I bring to help with the healing is Neosporin + Pain Relief. Neosporin is really good for speeding up the healing and it also has antibiotic to fight infections.   

Some other stuff I bring with me are moisturizing gels for the legs. Some veterans said that applying the gel everyday can minimize the scars and ease the itching on legs at night. Ensure milk to drink for the first few days after the surgery as moving around will be limited for the first week. Last but not least, supplements. I bought whey proteins, calcium, multivitamins and vitamin C. I will also have to compose a list of necessary things that I will buy in China. 

My goal is at least walking on crutches when I come back so I'm planning to stay there for a month to recover after everything is done. I definitely don't want my parents to see me go back in wheelchair so that's also another reason I will work as hard as I can during the procedure. Even better if I can go back without crutches lol. I told my parents about the surgery, but they didn't know how serious it is. So I want to go back walking as normal as I can.

Hey Luffy,

You are really very focused and ready to blast now.  Smiley

what work you do ? Is this some internet related job?

Crazy+6

YES !! I did it - Journey of becoming tall - From 5'4" to 5'11" in India

Current status:- Struggling to get my normal life back.

"Hope is a good thing, May be the best of thing, and no good things ever dies"
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Make Me Taller! The world's number one elective leg lengthening site! Come here for information about LL, things to make you taller, how to get taller permanently, Ilizarov, Betzbone, Guichet Nail, PRECICE, height growth and other height related issues. This is the number one leg lengthening forum for height seekers and people trying to become taller. It was created and run by people who have actually done leg lengthening surgery (LL).

As a community site, MMT forum thrives on people's contributions, so please feel free to share your make me taller questions, videos, photos and experiences here in this leg lengthening forum. Make me taller is open to all, but please read the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) before posting as this will answer nearly all of your questions about getting taller through surgery. Please read our leg lengthening diaries too! We hope that you find this forum useful. Cheers, SysOp.