MMT Community
February 22, 2019, 10:22:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Words of wisdom from MMTA:
"Leg Lengthening is hard-work and shouldn't be considered by the faint-hearted. Physical and mental strength are needed in great measure!"

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Adidas2011 - Internal Femurs - Dr. Guichet - 2011 - To infinity and beyond  (Read 121502 times)
adidas2011
LL Patient
MMT Member

Credibility 8

« on: May 30, 2011, 10:58:57 AM »

Hi everyone,

The reason I am posting is because this site has been very instrumental in helping me to embark on this journey and I want to see if I can do my part too in assisting future LL dream seekers. (esp Jay's and Jamee as they are the only two persons with extensive diary with Dr Guichet) Currently, I am at ResidHotel until 1st June before I transfer over to Calpyso. The reason is because they are fully booked at the moment and the next available day is on 1st June. The stay from 28th to 1st June is around euro 284. I am not sure whether it is a good price but it seems reasonable to me. The time over here in Marseilles is 12. 30pm. I am waiting in my room for my taxi driver at 2. 30pm before I would be driven to take my first X-ray with Dr Guichet at Centre Imagerie. I am feeling calm while at the same time a little anxious. I guess this will probably be the general state of mind and being for the coming few months of the journey. I will be glad to post my own personal experience here. Please do not get mad or upset if I do not reply to all your personal questions.

keep going
adidas2011
LL Patient
MMT Member

Credibility 8

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 12:03:07 PM »

4 more days to Ops-day

It's funny to observe the relativity of time. My last entry was 1.05pm. Now it is 1.55pm. Time does seems to fly at times and crawls the next during this journey. The monentary cost has been quite incredible to me at the moment. It should easily work out to be 50k Euros. (or even more, hopefully not). I had my first meeting with Dr Guichet last Dec. It was an experience considering it was my first time coming to Europe and for this instance, France. The consultation took about 1 hour. I actually spent a while waiting for him outside the room. There was an American who came before me. He looked like he is in his early thirtys. I took a picture of the room and for some reason, I am facing some difficulties in inserting them in the post. I will try to figure it out. After the consulation, I was brought to Calpyso to visit 2 LLers who were there. M was there and we exchanged contact. I got the contact of A too. But A never did responded to my emails. I dropped M a few emails over the next few months. He was reassuring and at the moment, he told me he has recovered well and resumed his normal activities. This is good news to me as his ops was somewhere early Oct.  Ok. I better get ready to go for my X-rays.

keep going
adidas2011
LL Patient
MMT Member

Credibility 8

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 03:24:48 PM »

Hi. Just back from the appt with Dr Guichet and the xray. More details later. I am hungry. Better head out and grab some food before it gets too dark. It seems like the nearest decent food area is 10 mins away Sad

keep going
adidas2011
LL Patient
MMT Member

Credibility 8

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 06:21:11 PM »

Hi everyone, I had a message from a fellow forumer so I thought I will answer the questions here without mentioning name. This is done for the benefit for anyone who has these qtns. (given the whole idea of my journey is to help you possibly in your own journey) And of course, my answers are based on my own experience and feel. Everyone might have different feelings and expectation. An analogy will be likened to watching a movie. Someone may gives the movie 'Transformers' 2 thumbs up while another might give it a rotten tomato. I think you get what I mean. Ok, the qtns are

1. Are you going to use his new nails? did you meet anyone there are using this new nails and how do they think of it?

Yes. I will be using the new Guichet nails. Nope. I have not check in calpyso yet so I am unable to answer this qtn. I believe M and A are using these nails but I could not confirm as M seems to have moved on with his new life and I do not wish to rake his past by questioning him. M is happy now although he appeared a little depressed during my visit last year. I believe this is due more to the roller coaster ride of emotion and physical demands of this journey for anyone who had or will be undertaking it. In fact, I am not too bothered by the type of nails as Dr Guichet advised me to use the walkers and clutches as much as neccessary. I intend to follow his instructions strictly (although I hope I will not be tempted to walk unaided) So either nails, I am prepared to be 'out of action' for a while. In fact, during my consultation with him earlier, he stressed again on the LL being likened to a 'bullet train', there hasnt been any major high speed train accident in France since the 1970s but that doesnt change the fact that anything could have gone wrong given the speed (200 miles) that the train is travelling. Hence, he advised me to strictly use the walker and be cautious at all times especially the lengthening and healing phase. The chance of fracture will be slimmer after this two crucial phase.

2. I'm very interested in tibias surgery and wonder if you know anyone who is doing this there?

Nope. I do not know anyone who does tibia with Dr Guichet. I believe the femur would be encouraged by him.

3. Also, about the 1st consultation, what preparation would you suggest me to do for it.

I recommend you bring a high level of concentration to absorb whatever he says and what you need to do. True to what Jamee and Jay has described in their diaries. Pls do not expect a high level of emotional support from Dr Guichet. I believe he is highly competent and skilled in what he does but there are many times where I just wished I had more emotional support from him. But like I mentioned, our eventual experience might differ.

Many thanks in advance
no problem. Do pray for me.

keep going
adidas2011
LL Patient
MMT Member

Credibility 8

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 06:41:02 PM »

quick update about my schedule today. The time in Marseille is now 8.26pm. I found out the name of my taxi driver during the ride. His name is Roland. Maybe I couldnt really understand french of the pronounciation. I thought I heard Dr Guichet and his assistant called him Oland. But no matter, at least I got the name ride.

230pm - 300pm (took at xray of my legs. cost euro 100)
315pm - 500pm (consultation with Dr Guichet)

He was a little late as he came from somewhere. 1/2 hr + to be more specific. It was a strange feeling as I waited once again in the room which Jay had described in his diary. Just to note, before my first consultation and while reading Jay's diary, I have pictured an elderly scientist look on Dr Guichet but he turned out to look younger and probably a bit like a person working in a bank. Of course, once he speaks, you know he is a medical professional but a slightly emotionally detached one. It is funny how things seems a little different from what you have imagined when reading from another person's diary and when you are there personally. Our consultation eventally took slightly over an hour with the bulk of it going through the paperwork for my ops. He also mentioned my flexibility has increased but frowned upon the fact that my thigh muscles have lost mass. I cant seem to explain this and he warned me that my recovery will now be longer as a fact. Once again, I really wish there could be more emotional support but I guess now is not the time to ponder on this anymore. This is it.

hmm..I have never heard of any taxi arrangement before so I ask Roland. It turns out that he started this only last Nov/Dec. I think it is a good thing than to run around in taxis. I believe that could cost more. For info sake. The cab from St Charles station to Residhotel cost around euro 13. The trip from Residhotel to X-ray to Dr Guichet's office and back to Residhotel was a flat rate charged by Roland of Euro 30. Sounds quite reasonable and I hope similar structure remains for the next few days as I am scheduled for more test. My next test is to see Dr P (psychiatrist) at 8am. Roland will be waiting for me at 7.45am. Sounds cool. The last thing I need now is to schedule more unneccessary logistics.

keep going
adidas2011
LL Patient
MMT Member

Credibility 8

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 07:41:18 PM »

Btw, if there is any LLers in calpyso at the moment and you are hearing this msg, Pls PM me.
I have a pm from a LLer-to-be having the op with Dr Guichet on the 10th June. There is a slight issue as calpyso is full. Pm me and I will fill you in

cheers

keep going
chlor
MMT Member

Credibility 3

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 09:32:06 PM »

Thanks for sharing addidas.  Are you from the U.S.?  I'll be eagerly awaiting your posts.
ThomasTampa
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 11:05:56 PM »

True to what Jamee and Jay has described in their diaries. Pls do not expect a high level of emotional support from Dr Guichet. I believe he is highly competent and skilled in what he does but there are many times where I just wished I had more emotional support from him.

Congratulations on the beginning of a life changing journey!  I will be following your posts closely and would love to see a diary from a current patient of Dr. Guichet that includes photos and/or videos of the exercise and physical therapy routine (both leading up to and during lengthening).  Jamee and Chump did post a video but a more detailed version would be beneficial. Dr. Guichet is reported to be quite advanced in this regard.  

I noticed you mentioning the desire for more emotional support from Dr. Guichet.  I'd like to know what made you choose Dr. Guichet over Dr. Betz?  Considering the price is very similar and Dr. Betz is known to be incredibly supportive to his patients.  Thank you.    
crazy+6
LL Warrior
MMT Expert

Credibility 273

U HAVE ONLY ONE LIFE TO DO ALL THE THINGS U WANT

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2011, 11:41:00 PM »

Dear Adidas,

Congratulations on starting your Diary.

As I can see you already in Marseille; hope you are enjoying it.

Best of luck for your journey.

God Bless
Crazy+6

YES !! I did it - Journey of becoming tall - From 5'4" to 5'11" in India

Current status:- Struggling to get my normal life back.

"Hope is a good thing, May be the best of thing, and no good things ever dies"
david_uk
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2011, 12:18:59 AM »

Hi Adidas, congrats on finally beginning your journey in Marseille! It is really nice of you sharing your experiences with other, especially when there are not so many diaries for Dr. Guichet.

When you have a minute, could you let us know more about the physical preparation you went through.

Cheers,

David
adidas2011
LL Patient
MMT Member

Credibility 8

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2011, 07:55:52 AM »

Hi everyone,

I have just returned not long ago from the session with Dr P (psychiatrist). Once again, I took R's cab. The to-&-fro journey cost Euro 15 (which I think is very reasonable as it includes waiting for me).

I am revealing these cost  (such as taxi fare) for your own reference and studies for your LL trip. Pls do not quote me if the price does differ. The session was uneventful as Dr P's objective is to make sure you know what you are doing and this ops will not solve all the problems you have in the world. Dr P can speak English although I feel it is definitely not his first language. But, the objective was met nonetheless and he appeared convinced. He did highlighted the risks and once again, although I have made up my mind for the ops and this is like the final stage, it does gives me a strange feeling and sent a sensation down my body. Please also understand I am revealling as much as I can without violating any agreement. Thank you for your understanding. (cost Euro 200)

My next appt will be to the DEXA. This is the cybex test. I did one back in my home country (Asia) and this will be my second one. I am not sure why I need a second one but I don't see the harm too. Meanwhile, I tried calling back and it is good to hear familiar voices again. Smiley. I shall update you briefly what the Dexa is all about. That will be at 3.30pm. Till then.

cheers.

keep going
adidas2011
LL Patient
MMT Member

Credibility 8

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2011, 07:56:48 AM »

Thanks for sharing addidas.  Are you from the U.S.?  I'll be eagerly awaiting your posts.

Nope. I am not from the states. I am from Asia and let's leave it to that for now Smiley

keep going
adidas2011
LL Patient
MMT Member

Credibility 8

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2011, 07:59:48 AM »

Hi Adidas, congrats on finally beginning your journey in Marseille! It is really nice of you sharing your experiences with other, especially when there are not so many diaries for Dr. Guichet.

When you have a minute, could you let us know more about the physical preparation you went through.

Cheers,

David

I did stretching daily and I can touch the floor with my fingers by now. No specific one just daily stretches. As for physical, rem I mentioned earlier that Dr Guichet chided me that I have loss mass around my thigh (much to my surprise). So I guess I am not doing enough so please research more on that Sad

keep going
adidas2011
LL Patient
MMT Member

Credibility 8

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2011, 08:05:37 AM »

True to what Jamee and Jay has described in their diaries. Pls do not expect a high level of emotional support from Dr Guichet. I believe he is highly competent and skilled in what he does but there are many times where I just wished I had more emotional support from him.

Congratulations on the beginning of a life changing journey!  I will be following your posts closely and would love to see a diary from a current patient of Dr. Guichet that includes photos and/or videos of the exercise and physical therapy routine (both leading up to and during lengthening).  Jamee and Chump did post a video but a more detailed version would be beneficial. Dr. Guichet is reported to be quite advanced in this regard.   

I noticed you mentioning the desire for more emotional support from Dr. Guichet.  I'd like to know what made you choose Dr. Guichet over Dr. Betz?  Considering the price is very similar and Dr. Betz is known to be incredibly supportive to his patients.  Thank you.     

I am not sure whether I will post photos eventually, we'll see how things go as my mind is now rather clouded. I was actually thinking of Dr Betz initially because the forum seems to be teeming with Bet's patient. For some reason I cant fully fathom, I chose Dr Guichet. I did not have a consultation with Dr Betz so I cant comment too much on that. Let's just say I focus on the recovery and my own personal research and preference skewed towards Dr Guichet. Emotional support is something I thought I can do without as I am a very independent chap having trained with the army, airforce and police but I must say I will welcome it anyday during this journey. This could prove to be the most physically and mentally challenge I will undertake yet.

keep going
adidas2011
LL Patient
MMT Member

Credibility 8

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2011, 08:08:30 AM »

Dear Adidas,

Congratulations on starting your Diary.

As I can see you already in Marseille; hope you are enjoying it.

Best of luck for your journey.

God Bless
Crazy+6

Hi, I cant say I am enjoying it as there is a small cloud of uncertainty. There has disturbed my inner balance a little which I cant deny as this is utimately something BIG. Smiley. I will have to seek strength and faith by looking at those who has successfully walked this path before me and now leading the life they desired.

keep going
adidas2011
LL Patient
MMT Member

Credibility 8

« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2011, 08:14:58 AM »

Hi ___ , I have a pm from you but your inbox is full. Try to clear it. If you want to have more quota on your inbox, I guess you have to more active in the community. As they say, what you get from the community, there will be a time to let the energy flow back to the community. Here's my response,

Hi, you can pm me here. questions I can answer, I will try my best to answer. If you ask qtns which I feel will benefit more pple. I will reply them in my diary. I will not mention your nick of coz. I guess we are all bonded by a common goal and destiny, so let's support one another within our comfort level.

cheers

keep going
smallpackage
MMT Member

Credibility 4

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2011, 04:24:28 PM »

Hi, I cant say I am enjoying it as there is a small cloud of uncertainty. There has disturbed my inner balance a little which I cant deny as this is utimately something BIG. Smiley. I will have to seek strength and faith by looking at those who has successfully walked this path before me and now leading the life they desired.

Dear Adidas,

Don't let the fear dominate you...It's whether to take it or leave it! Don't think abt the very few months of pain and discomfort, but put another target; the inner satisfaction u ll get after u go through it.....ur life will entirely change and u ll be a better person!

It's not any easy task to control our minds and emotions, but uve already reached the point where ure already in Marseilles, ure one step away from reaching ur sky!

U don't know how many people on this forum, including myself, who are struggling to have the financial support to get this surgery done; I don't think this is ur current obstacle......

You've reached the ultimate phase....DO NOT LOOK BACK!
adidas2011
LL Patient
MMT Member

Credibility 8

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2011, 04:43:50 PM »

Hi everyone,

I have just returned not long ago from the session with Dr P (psychiatrist). Once again, I took R's cab. The to-&-fro journey cost Euro 15 (which I think is very reasonable as it includes waiting for me).

I am revealing these cost  (such as taxi fare) for your own reference and studies for your LL trip. Pls do not quote me if the price does differ. The session was uneventful as Dr P's objective is to make sure you know what you are doing and this ops will not solve all the problems you have in the world. Dr P can speak English although I feel it is definitely not his first language. But, the objective was met nonetheless and he appeared convinced. He did highlighted the risks and once again, although I have made up my mind for the ops and this is like the final stage, it does gives me a strange feeling and sent a sensation down my body. Please also understand I am revealling as much as I can without violating any agreement. Thank you for your understanding. (cost Euro 200)

My next appt will be to the DEXA. This is the cybex test. I did one back in my home country (Asia) and this will be my second one. I am not sure why I need a second one but I don't see the harm too. Meanwhile, I tried calling back and it is good to hear familiar voices again. Smiley. I shall update you briefly what the Dexa is all about. That will be at 3.30pm. Till then.

cheers.

Ahh..So I was mistaken. The dexa test is a bone density test/scan. It cost around 40 Euro. Once again, R was my taxi driver and it is in a way comforting to have a designated driver who is bilingual. The afternoon session cost 30 Euro. I thought the distance and the waiting time was about the same as the morning. Anyway, small matter..Stay focused is more important. I will go to see the anesthetist and cardiologist tom. Then I will do the pre-admission. Looks like a long day ahead tom. I will be also tsfering to calypso tommorrow.

keep going
adidas2011
LL Patient
MMT Member

Credibility 8

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2011, 05:02:49 PM »

Dear Adidas,

Don't let the fear dominate you...It's whether to take it or leave it! Don't think abt the very few months of pain and discomfort, but put another target; the inner satisfaction u ll get after u go through it.....ur life will entirely change and u ll be a better person!

It's not any easy task to control our minds and emotions, but uve already reached the point where ure already in Marseilles, ure one step away from reaching ur sky!

U don't know how many people on this forum, including myself, who are struggling to have the financial support to get this surgery done; I don't think this is ur current obstacle......

You've reached the ultimate phase....DO NOT LOOK BACK!

Hi small, It is not a straight foward case of letting fear dominating you or not. It is more of the feeling that as you are going through all the checks and test, these things will get into you slowly but surely despite being as positive as you can. It's natural. You have almost everyone (Dr Guichet and Dr P etc reminding you of risks, complication and the mindset to handle them if it happens). Anyway I believe you meant well. I think the financial is a big hurdle. But to be mistaken that it is the biggest hurdle will be an understatement. After clearing the financial part, expect more waves. Somehow, whatever the previous LL-er veterans has posted in their diary are coming alive. It seems surreal but t is real. I cant explain this feeling that there is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path. I believe you may experience whatever I may be feeling in the near future. These are my thoughts. No right or wrong I guess...

I am trying to complete an 8 page report/form before the surgery. I think i filled in a similar one during first consultation but Dr Guichet insisted for this. Qtns like 'The lengthening might not work, bringing to a failure and no gain, or leg discrepancy? or even bone fracture or bone deviation, shortening, paralysis, etc? Are you aware of that? what is your opinion? "

I find this type of qtn trickier to answer, of coz I am aware of the risk but should I dwell on it? No. the final phase should be one where I remain at 100% optimally positive and all. But these sort of qtns keep creeping up to cloud or tempt to derail you. Pardon me for rambling but I guess it is expected at this stage Smiley Thank you for your patience and understanding

keep going
smallpackage
MMT Member

Credibility 4

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2011, 05:46:19 PM »

Hi small, It is not a straight foward case of letting fear dominating you or not. It is more of the feeling that as you are going through all the checks and test, these things will get into you slowly but surely despite being as positive as you can. It's natural. You have almost everyone (Dr Guichet and Dr P etc reminding you of risks, complication and the mindset to handle them if it happens). Anyway I believe you meant well. I think the financial is a big hurdle. But to be mistaken that it is the biggest hurdle will be an understatement. After clearing the financial part, expect more waves. Somehow, whatever the previous LL-er veterans has posted in their diary are coming alive. It seems surreal but t is real. I cant explain this feeling that there is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path. I believe you may experience whatever I may be feeling in the near future. These are my thoughts. No right or wrong I guess...

I am trying to complete an 8 page report/form before the surgery. I think i filled in a similar one during first consultation but Dr Guichet insisted for this. Qtns like 'The lengthening might not work, bringing to a failure and no gain, or leg discrepancy? or even bone fracture or bone deviation, shortening, paralysis, etc? Are you aware of that? what is your opinion? "

I find this type of qtn trickier to answer, of coz I am aware of the risk but should I dwell on it? No. the final phase should be onte where I remain at 100% optimally positive and all. But these sort of qtns keep creeping up to cloud or tempt to derail you. Pardon me for rambling but I guess it is expected at this stage Smiley Thank you for your patience and understanding

As I've been reading in other diaries, the general idea I got about Dr. Guichet is that he knows what he's doing!
If he keeps on reminding his patients about the worst risks, that's because he wants his patients to bear in mind that major complications "may" occur; but in real it will not be as u were imagining it to be....
He's testing ur will and positive attitude.....coz if ur morals are down then u will not be able to recover in a short period of time...
Anyway a "zero risk" does not exist in medicine!
But to get sure about him and feel some kind of relief, did any of Dr. Guichet's patients complain about his skills or witnessed major complications that have affected their lives forever?! YET NONE!
He's a french stubborn and he knows what he's doing! I'd personally trust him for my life! He will NOT leave u alone, he WILL always keep his eye on u to achieve great results!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Make Me Taller! The world's number one elective leg lengthening site! Come here for information about LL, things to make you taller, how to get taller permanently, Ilizarov, Betzbone, Guichet Nail, PRECICE, height growth and other height related issues. This is the number one leg lengthening forum for height seekers and people trying to become taller. It was created and run by people who have actually done leg lengthening surgery (LL).

As a community site, MMT forum thrives on people's contributions, so please feel free to share your make me taller questions, videos, photos and experiences here in this leg lengthening forum. Make me taller is open to all, but please read the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) before posting as this will answer nearly all of your questions about getting taller through surgery. Please read our leg lengthening diaries too! We hope that you find this forum useful. Cheers, SysOp.