MMT Community
January 21, 2019, 02:41:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS! Please make sure that you only post general questions on the 'General Questions' board or you'll get a lot of flames - and make sure you read the FAQs and DIARIES first Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 19   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Roc - External Tibias - Dr. Xia - 2011 - Beijing Baby!  (Read 144735 times)
Roc
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 107

« on: September 11, 2011, 02:34:58 AM »

Disclaimer (Or Whatever You Call This Section) Thingy

Okay, I finally decided to write a "journal" (seriously, doesn't "diary" conjure all these girly, "oh, I saw Tom today, he was sooooo handsome<3 <3 <3" images in mind? [on a side note, if you did see Tom today and he really was "handsome <3 <3 <3", good for you].)

Before anything else though, I first want to stress that starting one in the first place was, for me, a substantial first step in itself. I was initially debating between the pros and the cons of writing this journal (obvious pro being the sense of community and support one could get from fellow MMT members and obvious con would be the constant need of updating it) but in the end, I decided that, at the very least, making my story public would make this institution somewhat more accountable for what happens to me (as hopefully people from the outside world could read up on my experiences here). That said, let me now delineate that this "journal" was created as a means to  1) record my LL experiences here in Beijing, and 2) express whatever affects I encounter during the process, and 3) as mentioned earlier, serve as a "proof" of my experiences.

Also, let it be noted that, because this is a "personal" recounting of my experiences, I have no doubt in mind that a lot of my posts would inevitably be skewed in subjectivity although I will try to remain as objective as humanly possible. Oh oh, and lest I forget, I tend to swear a lot so please don't take it against me if you see the occasional profanity here and there; that's just me expressing my honest-to-goodness self :3

I'm not going to say too much about myself, but I am from southeast Asia for anyone who is interested.

All of that taken care of, journal time Grin

(note: after doing some pretty extensive reading on the difference of a "journal" and a "diary", I decided not to give a f*** about the meaning [apparently, "diary" is the more apt word], I still want to call mine a "journal" Wink hahaha)
luffy
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 78

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 03:21:10 AM »

Great, I'm looking forward to read your journal lol
Shortlegs
MMT Contributor

Credibility 6

Hmm, how to get taller?

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 04:48:34 AM »

Hi Roc, since you are there with Dr Xia, would you please to ask him if he will still manage his job in like 4,5 more years?? thanks a lots, I sent him an email already but i've been today and there is no response Sad and good luck with your journey Cheesy:D

Yo, you're from Southeast Asia? Wow, we are neighbors man, I am from Viet Nam!!!! Cheesy:D
Roc
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 107

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 05:24:03 AM »

Great, I'm looking forward to read your journal lol

Hey Luffy,

Thanks man. Update yours too! haha. See you around the hallways lol

Hi Roc, since you re there with Dr Xia, would you pls to ask him if he still manage his job in like 4,5 more years?? thanks a lots, I sent him an email already but it ve been today and there is no response Sad and good luck with your journey Cheesy:D

Hey Shortlegs,

Lol, i'll tell him when i see him (though I don't know how i can do that given the language barrier thingy haha.) As you probably know though, he doesn't really do any hands on surgeries anymore (at least that's what I know) so i suppose even if he retires, he'll be able to leave the institute in someone's capable hands. Don't worry, this place isn't going away any time soon (I think they make too much money hahaha.)

Best of luck to you too;)
Roc
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 107

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 05:25:15 AM »

Yo, you're from Southeast Asia? Wow, we are neighbors man, I am from Viet Nam!!!! Cheesy

*high five*
Shortlegs
MMT Contributor

Credibility 6

Hmm, how to get taller?

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2011, 05:29:22 AM »

*high five*

Lol, yo we southeast Asians all seem to have problems with China in the sea now eh? Do you read the newspaper daily?
Roc
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 107

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2011, 06:01:43 AM »

Lol, yo we southeast Asians all seem to have problems with China in the sea now eh? Do you read the newspaper daily? 

Spratleys?
crazy+6
LL Warrior
MMT Expert

Credibility 273

U HAVE ONLY ONE LIFE TO DO ALL THE THINGS U WANT

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2011, 10:38:18 AM »

Hi Roc,

Welcome on board  Smiley

Looking forward to reading more.

Crazy+6

YES !! I did it - Journey of becoming tall - From 5'4" to 5'11" in India

Current status:- Struggling to get my normal life back.

"Hope is a good thing, May be the best of thing, and no good things ever dies"
Arche
MMT Adviser

Credibility 26

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2011, 03:31:07 AM »

Congratulations on taking the first step towards your goal Roc! I'm sure there are many people on this site who sympathize that you're sub-165 cm in height including me.  The world we live in can be really harsh sometimes, but what's good is that LL is becoming a viable option for so many people who are brave enough.  Good luck Roc! I'll be following your diary intently!

'"There is evil in your bones, Equality 7-2521, for your body has grown beyond the bodies of your brothers." But we cannot change our bones nor our body.' - Anthem, by Ayn Rand.
Roc
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 107

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2011, 08:31:51 AM »

Congratulations on taking the first step towards your goal Roc! I'm sure there are many people on this site who sympathize that you're sub-165 cm in height including me.  The world we live in can be really harsh sometimes, but what's good is that LL is becoming a viable option for so many people who are brave enough.  Good luck Roc! I'll be following your diary intently!

Thanks Arche, appreciate it
Roc
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 107

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2011, 07:07:57 AM »

(Note: Now before I get to the journal proper, just to be perfectly clear, it is now officially my 2nd week here (14th day) post surgery;) That said, I might miss a detail or two recounting the past 14 days so bear with me if anything of that sort happens Grin )

Hello Beijing!

(August 26th - 28th)

We left home on the 26th of August and arrived in Beijing on the 27th (midnight) with my dad and uncle. After the extremely long queue for taxis in the airport (we made a mistake of queuing with the locals), we finally hailed a cab (we cut in line actually, hihihi Grin) and went straight to our hotel. Because we arrived on a Saturday, there were no available doctors in the institute so we opted to simply go sightseeing around the city first. Our hotel was situated very near the Forbidden City complex so it was an easy 5 min walk to the adjoining plaza (which btw, is a bustling tourist spot/shopping district.) Now, it wasn't my first time in China but it was my first in Beijing and let me tell you, I was f*cking surprised to see how rude the people here are. Now, I have Chinese blood myself so I'll be the last person whose gonna go all racist against my "own" people but damn, for the first few days of our stay in Beijing, we were ignored, argued with, and basically disrespected by the staff in local restaurants. Also, in my 2 days before going to the hospital, (we were picked up by the hospital's driver on Sunday evening) i've seen at least 3 people shout at each other here. Damn, Beijing people are aggressive. Mind you, my dad could speak basic mandarin, enough to get along, and my uncle was as fluent as any Chinese person could get but, apparently, because of his "accent" (he came from a southern province in China), we were still considered tourists and we theorized that that was partly to blame for it.

Now i wouldn't know how they treat white people but damn, it didn't feel great to go inside a restaurant and basically be bullied around by the waiters/waitresses. Also, this behavior wasn't isolated towards us. As I've mentioned before, because the plaza was a bustling tourist spot, a significant number (if not all) of the people there were local tourists (people from the provinces touring Beijing) and they were treated like second class citizens as well. Now just to be fair, not all the establishments were like that, maybe we were just unlucky; 2 of the 4 restaurants we visited were f*cked up like that, but I don't know, it just stuck to me I guess given how friendly and submissive the staff members in restaurants were in my country. Me and my dad were actually playing with a theory: Because Beijing was the seat of government for the longest time, people had to learn how to bow down and shut up in the presence of anyone remotely royal (I'm talking about the dynasty eras here) so basically, after years of getting bullied into submission by the royals, they eventually became fed up and now treat everyone else that they don't have to bow down to like ****. Of course, these could be the outliers; i can't generalize the whole of Beijing based on those few individuals but in general, the theory does seem to have some truth to it Wink

Those incidents aside, I enjoyed touring that plaza/ visiting the Forbidden City; the place was truly magnificent. There were also a lot of friendly local tourists so it wasn't all that bad. Finally, as I've mentioned above, come Sunday evening (ms. Ronne arranged for us to be picked up then), we were driven to the institute to see the place for the first time.

Roc
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 107

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2011, 07:16:06 AM »

Hi Roc,

Welcome on board  Smiley

Looking forward to reading more.

Crazy+6

Thanks Crazy+6, feels good to be welcomed by such a famous member lol
craig49
LL Legend
MMT Adviser

Credibility 286

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2011, 10:04:38 AM »

Hey man,
good luck with lengthening.  Some southeast Asian women are very attractive, that should be motivation enough to get taller.  Your perceptions of Chinese people is interesting.  I lived all over China for about 2 and 1/2 years.  I can tell you Beijing is different and the attitude is different partly because it is the capital.  Inland China is very different in my opinion.  
Roc
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 107

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2011, 06:00:46 AM »

Hey man,
good luck with lengthening.  Some southeast Asian women are very attractive, that should be motivation enough to get taller.  Your perceptions of Chinese people is interesting.  I lived all over China for about 2 and 1/2 years.  I can tell you Beijing is different and the attitude is different partly because it is the capital.  Inland China is very different in my opinion.  

Haha, right you are; there are some pretty good looking southeast Asian women out there but I'm already taken Wink

Also, yeah, mainly, if the aforementioned theory doesn't hold water, the other plausible explanation would simply be, because they're from the capital, they feel like they're superior.

Hope this doesn't offend any Beijing people though 'cause again, i'm not generalizing.

Thanks man, good luck to you too
Roc
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 107

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2011, 06:34:36 AM »

The Institute (Sounds Like a Horror Movie Title Huh?)
(August 28th - 29th)

We arrived at the clinic around 8pm and basically looked around the place. The place was so surreal; it looked almost exactly, but at the same time, totally unlike how I pictured it would be based on all the diaries I’ve read. One of the first sights I saw were people with metal braces on their legs walking outside in crutches and immediately after that, I found myself thinking, "this is it, this is really happening.." We were then led inside by the driver who picked us up. One of the first few things you’ll see is this bulletin board that contained photos of individual patients with their respective problems.  (i.e. one leg is shorter than the other, extreme dwarfism, etc.) After a few minutes of checking these out, some of the nurses on duty that night came out. Questions in Mandarin were asked and answered (I’m not that good in Mandarin lol) and eventually, we were led to my room where I left my things (luggage, etc) and stuff.

Photos of my room (this are recent ones as I didn't think of taking pictures before.)

(Also, I don't have a proper camera with me so all i'm using is my iPad 2's. Yeah, it has a sucky camera, but at least it works.)

A few minutes later, I was introduced to one of the patients here (I won't mention any physical details since I think that patient wants to reserve his/her privacy) and I asked questions regarding the procedure and the process.The individual looked well enough but you could see it in his/her eyes that he/she just really wanted to go home (at that time, he/she only had a week of lengthening left if my memory serves me correctly.) Afterwards, we had dinner outside (alongside the karaoke bars that's been mentioned numerous times in this site) and after, went back. I stayed the night to get myself accustomed to the place and also, in a way, to placate my dad that I could handle this alone while he and my uncle went back to the hotel.

The next day (29th) was my testing day. That day, I had the works: blood tests, X-rays, measurements, etc. Also, it was the first time I met ms. Ronne. Now, I know everybody has been raving about how friendly and helpful she is and I must say, none of those were exaggerations. I really do think that all the potential foreign patients come here with a 50-50% intention of going under the knife ('cause it is a different country with a huge language barrier and all) but it's ms. Ronne that inevitably tips them over the edge haha. She is just so friendly and helpful and, after talking for a few minutes with her, you'd just feel like everything's going to be fine. Also, funny thing, before, whilst emailing her, she introduced herself as “Ronnie Wang” and until the day I finally talked with her on the phone (we were still coordinating with her via email whilst me, my dad, and uncle were staying at the hotel), I’ve always referred to her as “Mr. Wang” so imagine my surprise when I found out she was a girl lol. She never bothered to correct me so that was kinda embarrassing.

That day was also when I had my first consultation with dr. Peng (?, I'm not sure about their names). I didn't get most of the conversation since they were talking mostly to my dad and uncle (damnit, I should really work on my Mandarin) but what I did get though was I seemed to have a slightly misaligned left leg and that the increase suggested for me was 8.5cm. I was pretty happy about that actually since I keep on hearing how the doctors usually just suggest 5-6cm's; i guess I have a pretty long femurs compared to my tibias so that was a pleasant surprise.

A little while later, ms Ronne introduced us to this Malaysian dude who came back to have his rods removed. He was initially 5”8 I think and now is a whooping 5”11. Damn, did he look good (my dad said so too) although I did wonder why he didn’t go all the way to being a 6 footer considering he was just an inch shy from it. We talked for a while and he basically left me with a couple of advices: “it is going to be hard but you’ll forget all about it after. Also, trust the doctors, though a complication may seem serious for you, know that they’ve seen it a hundred times and they know what to do.” In the end, we both wished each other luck and my companions and I were left pondering about what he said.

Afterwards, we were whisked away and finally met THE MAN dr.Xia and he was exactly how MMT described him to be: a caring, old, uncle sort of person. He had the looks of a wizened businessman about him (which slightly reminded me of Marlon Brandon in the Godfather, yeah, he was pretty intimidating) and in fear of simply repeating what’s been said, you could really tell that based on the hierarchy of the place, this was the top man. He talked to us with ms. Ronne nearby and asked us simple questions like “why did you opt to do this?” “what are your motivations?”, etc. In the end, he reassured us that everything was going to be fine and we need not worry. After all the consultations and medical stuff, it was shopping time.

Now the original plan for that day was for me, my dad, and uncle to go shopping for the things I need but I was then told that I needed to stay 'cause they had to prep me for the surgery the next day. And when I say prep, I mean they were going to pump my blood chuck full of antibiotics via I.V. and shiz. Basically, my dad and uncle went out and bought the stuff I need whilst I was stuck in my room waiting for the I.V.'s to finish. Eventually, the day passed by and I met a couple of the other patients including Luffy and *I don’t know his MMT username yet lol*.  At the end of the day, I got all the stuff I requested for/ needed, and went to sleep. I can't say for sure but I remember having a dreamless night that night.
Roc
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 107

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2011, 11:08:45 AM »

Photo Enlargement

As Luffy pointed out, my photos in the above post were too small (I didn't know how to properly post them yet lol), thanks Luffy for the how to's.

My room as of now:

Roc
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 107

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2011, 11:27:54 AM »

Surgery Day

(August 30th)

I woke up around 7am and was pretty anxious about the surgery. I remember having second thoughts ‘cause, “come on”, I said to myself, “I’m going to be stuck here for almost a whole year!” After a few minutes, one of the nurses came in and gave me this pajama thingy, which apparently were the clothes I was suppose to wear during the operation. Donning them on, I found that they were too big for me, and in a way, I then realized how fed up I was having to find clothes “small” enough to fit me. Finally, the clocked struck 8am and like clock-work, one of the doctors (or was it a nurse?) came in and led to me to the surgery room.
Inside, it was… cold. Okay, not to discredit any of the vets here but based on their description of the operating theatre, I expected better. No, it wasn’t as if it was run down or anything, it’s just that from what I remember reading, words like “modern” and/or “state-of-the-art” were being thrown around a lot but whatever, I was there and I was determined to go through with it.

They made me lie down on the operating table and eventually asked me to curl into a fetal position for the epidural. It was only afterwards that I found out that the other patients (at least the vets) were given the option of selecting certain music/songs during the operation.  Frankly, I was disappointed I wasn’t asked but what’s done is done. Anyway, after some initial pain due to the epidural being stuck in in-between my spine, my legs started going numb. Now, let me tell you, it felt kinda scary given how, for lack of better term, “cold” the doctors were. Looking back, yes they were professionals in every sense of the word but I guess I just expected too much “warmth” based on other people’s diaries. Also, maybe this is just me but I found it really cool how the numbness spread towards my legs lol. I’m in no way fascinated with morbidity or anything with regards to that but It was, simply put, an “experience”, being able to feel your legs one second, and having them totally numb the next. When my legs were finally numb and dead as logs, I felt the doctors position for surgery. This was also the time when they pulled my shorts down and I remember them fumbling around my lower area. At that time, I didn’t know what they were doing with my penis (it was embarrassing for me really, we never had those locker room moments in our country so nudity is still a huge issue) but based on simple inference, I guess they were putting on my catheter at this point.

Now remember how I mentioned that the operating roon was cold? At this point, I found myself shivering and pointed this out to one of the people inside. After some difficulties in trying to convey what I felt, she (or was it a he?) finally understood what I was trying to say and covered me in some cloth that helped a lot. That was one of the last things I remember.
yungchih69
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2011, 05:05:55 AM »

You said: It depends on each patient. I have 13 on each leg while others have 14, etc. But yeah, it's more or less in that range.

Why?  How?   I thought there is a standard number of the pins?? 

How could you have fewer pins then others?

Is that ok to do it without rod?
Roc
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 107

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2011, 01:01:15 PM »

You said: It depends on each patient. I have 13 on each leg while others have 14, etc. But yeah, it's more or less in that range.

Why?  How?   I thought there is a standard number of the pins??  

How could you have fewer pins then others?

Is that ok to do it without rod?

To be perfectly honest, I dont know; I guess it depends on each individual's legs. For example, the people who undergo the surgery here have heights that range from 150cm - 180++, now they can't all use the same sized external device right? They have to find one to fit the patient. I believe it's the same with the number of pins; the doctors choose the appropriate number depending on the person's leg, although as I've said, it's basically the same, just +-1.

By the way, other veterans can correct me if I'm wrong.

Oh! And I just remembered, I'm not exactly sure but if my memory serves me correctly, it's not the total number of pins that differ but the number in each section. Im saying this 'cause I seem to recall this other patient asking me why we have the same number of pins although in one section (read: part of the tibia), he had more pins than mine. Basically, we had the same number but I had my "extra" located in a different part.

Hope that helps yungchih Wink
Roc
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 107

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2011, 08:43:41 AM »

Limbo

(August 30th – Sept the 1st)

I’d like to call this phase the “limbo” ‘cause basically, you’re in a state of knowing and unknowing; conscious and unconscious. Now, as I’ve read from other people’s diary, the length of this phase depends from person to person - for example, MMT, if I remember correctly, slept through most of his limbo phase for a week straight… (lucky bastard) whilst I was conscious come my third day.

I can’t really say much about what happened in between those 2 days but I was thankful that my dad and uncle were there beside me. Also, this is the time when the maid (mine is Yang Jie btw; awesome, awesome lady) actually sleeps in your room (if you don’t have visitors.) Because my dad and uncle had to leave the day after my surgery, the maid was basically with me 24/7. Now, as I’ve mentioned before, I’m not exactly the most fluent person in Mandarin, due to this, there were times where things could get frustrating ‘cause they’d do stuff you don’t understand and you’d want them to do stuff they can’t get. Don’t get me wrong though, these are the days where you’ll truly appreciate your maid. Mine was just… *sigh*, I can’t even express how thankful I am. Basically, she’d get your food for you, help you do whatever you want (if you finally convey what you want to convey), dab water on your lips (‘cause you can’t drink yet I guess), drain away your pee on from the catheter sack, etc. Mine even went to the trouble of rubbing my naked butt for me from time to time; I assumed this was for preventing bed sores (although she might just have wanted to feel up my back side Grin)

Delusions of having a great ass aside, everything else doesn’t really matter much at this stage ‘cause you’d probably sleeping anyway thanks to the morphine jacked in your back. Apart from the occasional moments of consciousness you’ll experiences, I believe this phase to be fairly easy enough; just pray you sleep as long as you can ‘cause if you don’t, you’ll experience, what I’d like to call, “hell week.”
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 19   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Make Me Taller! The world's number one elective leg lengthening site! Come here for information about LL, things to make you taller, how to get taller permanently, Ilizarov, Betzbone, Guichet Nail, PRECICE, height growth and other height related issues. This is the number one leg lengthening forum for height seekers and people trying to become taller. It was created and run by people who have actually done leg lengthening surgery (LL).

As a community site, MMT forum thrives on people's contributions, so please feel free to share your make me taller questions, videos, photos and experiences here in this leg lengthening forum. Make me taller is open to all, but please read the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) before posting as this will answer nearly all of your questions about getting taller through surgery. Please read our leg lengthening diaries too! We hope that you find this forum useful. Cheers, SysOp.