MMT Community
January 21, 2019, 01:44:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Check out the new photos in the Proportions section, which include photos and videos of a lady who lengthened by a full 12cm walking and stretching, and a guy who did 8.8cm taking his first steps! Shocked Click Here!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 19   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Roc - External Tibias - Dr. Xia - 2011 - Beijing Baby!  (Read 144730 times)
Arche
MMT Adviser

Credibility 26

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2011, 01:25:40 AM »

You got this ROC! I'm pulling for your buddy! It'll be so worth it in the end!

'"There is evil in your bones, Equality 7-2521, for your body has grown beyond the bodies of your brothers." But we cannot change our bones nor our body.' - Anthem, by Ayn Rand.
yungchih69
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2011, 04:54:26 AM »

man!  Thank you, btw, cause you don't have the rod yet, so...........could you show me the incision cuts (two one each legs for cutting bones) in the pictures?    How do them look like?  hog long? shape?  Appreciated!!!!   ( I think people have problem to post pictures here, so you can email me, yungchih69@hotmail.com)

I will be very grateful for your kindness!

To be perfectly honest, I dont know; I guess it depends on each individual's legs. For example, the people who undergo the surgery here have heights that range from 150cm - 180++, now they can't all use the same sized external device right? They have to find one to fit the patient. I believe it's the same with the number of pins; the doctors choose the appropriate number depending on the person's leg, although as I've said, it's basically the same, just +-1.

By the way, other veterans can correct me if I'm wrong.

Oh! And I just remembered, I'm not exactly sure but if my memory serves me correctly, it's not the total number of pins that differ but the number in each section. Im saying this 'cause I seem to recall this other patient asking me why we have the same number of pins although in one section (read: part of the tibia), he had more pins than mine. Basically, we had the same number but I had my "extra" located in a different part.

Hope that helps yungchih Wink
Roc
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 107

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2011, 02:22:44 AM »

You got this ROC! I'm pulling for your buddy! It'll be so worth it in the end!

Thanks Arche, really appreciate it Smiley It's been hard these past few days... I really am just looking forward to "the end" haha.

man!  Thank you, btw, cause you don't have the rod yet, so...........could you show me the incision cuts (two one each legs for cutting bones) in the pictures?    How do them look like?  hog long? shape?  Appreciated!!!!   ( I think people have problem to post pictures here, so you can email me, yungchih69@hotmail.com)

I will be very grateful for your kindness!

Hey man, here it is:

The other one is below. See the little red splotch with stiches? (I cover both of them with bandage haha)

Hope that helps;)
Roc
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 107

« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2011, 02:26:15 AM »

Hell Week

(Sept 2nd -6th)

Now again, as every LL experience is unique and dependent on the individual, I can’t speak for everyone but based on what I’ve experienced (so far) and heard from the other patients here, the first week post op is one of the worst weeks you’ll experience in the LL process. Mine was… excruciating. Now, to be honest, I didn’t feel that much pain due to my morphine epidural but everything else was such a pain to do. You can’t eat cause you won’t have the appetite; peeing is a pain (yes, I found it hard using a catheter), and I sh*t you not, pray that you don’t have to take a dump during these days.

One of the most troubling memories I’ve created here was my having to take a sh*t during this week. Now, it’s not as worse as MMT’s breaking the toilet bowl and covering himself in poo (damn… that would’ve been humiliating) but seriously,, it was hard. Because you’re basically a cripple, you have to be carried and wheeled down the bathroom (imagine 2 mobile office chairs; one chair is for your butt cheeks and one chair is for your legs) and once you’re inside, you have to be carefully propped up the toilet without any of your now fragile deadweights bending or falling of the other chair.

(Which reminds me, both the chairs in my room have busted wheels, I have to remind miss Ronne about them, but I digress.)

If you’re scoffing at how sissy-ful (I don’t care if that’s a real word or not) I am, I dare you, when you take your nightly bowel evacuation ritual tonight (or whenever after you’ve read this), try propping up both your straightened legs on a chair or something and see if your waste’ll go down. I DARE YOU. Get back to me on that.

Anyway, those little fun tidbits aside, none of those were really problems actually; they were, if I may, inconveniences you just have to go through. In other words, “hell week” wasn’t really hell because of the pain, or the lack of appetite, or the excrement dumping, it was hell because one single thing:  the restless nights you’ll get.

I have never, in my life, missed sleep so much as I did then (and sadly, I still do.)  Seriously, aside from the occasional pain you may or may not experience, what’ll really break you here is the sleep, or more specifically, the lack of it. Your body needs sleep, period. It needs it to rest, to recover, to grow tall damnit, and with these damn metal braces on your legs, you can’t properly get that. Personally, I sleep on my tummy (and occasionally on my side) and if you’re on those people and plan on getting LL surgery, I suggest you unlearn it now while you can. Also, because our body naturally shifts constantly during sleep, you’ll constantly wake up every hour or so because the frames restrict your legs from moving.

Now if you think this whole section is me ranting my ass off, it’s because it is. This is how I remembered my “hell week” (hence the name, doi) and I refuse to color it all rosy and pink to not scare other people off. In terms of pain tolerance or simple endurance, I believe I can handle my fair share of hardships (I’ve fractured my leg before but thought nothing of it aside from the immediate “f*ck that f*cking hurts”) and though I also admit I’m not as tough as, let’s say, real life soldiers, again, I’m not the most sensitive of guys when it comes to grinding through pain/ hardships.

Hope this helps give a better view on things;)
Roc
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 107

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2011, 02:33:07 AM »

First X-Rays w/ Frames!
(I forget the date)
Here are photos of my first x-ray with my frames on. According to the doctors, everything looks pretty good. Keeping my fingers crossed

Just for those who were curious as to what they look like;)
SysOp
Forum Admin / Moderator
Administrator
MMT Expert

Credibility 712

« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2011, 11:01:55 AM »

Great photos Roc. Those frames look solid. Congrats on getting your journey underway. Smiley
Roc
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 107

« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2011, 01:23:54 PM »

There, I can see my photos now. Thanks SysOp Grin
yungchih69
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2011, 01:06:13 AM »

There, I can see my photos now. Thanks SysOp Grin

oh, yours is S cut............is that only cut you can choose?
thatdude
MMT Member

Credibility 2

« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2011, 02:33:36 AM »

^the doctors will decide whether a single, double or S cut is best for the patient. I guess you can choose to a certain degree to have a single cut if you so desire.
Roc
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 107

« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2011, 05:53:56 AM »

As what thatdude said, the doctors choose it for you.

I talked to dr. Ronne about it a few days back actually and it seems like the people here are currently leaning on the S- Cut.

From how I understand it (and I got this info from a cd-rom), the s-cut allows the doctors to cut your bone using a much wider surface area which is beneficial for optimum bone growth. The bigger surface area also allows the bone to grow more steadily and stucturally speaking, it provides a more solid platform for your bones in case of accidents.

For example, think of a pencil:

If the pencil was cut in half using a single cut and then taped together, it's far more easier for the wood to break at the point of the cut when it's "accidentally" bent:

But using an s-cut, if the said pencil was "accidentally" bent, it structural integrity wouldn't give out as easily:

If that wasn't easily understandable, I have failed paraphrasing cd-rom lol.

Hope that helps Wink
cdrom
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 3

« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2011, 08:29:04 AM »

Good diary, Roc.  Congrat on reaching 1.5cm Smiley
Arche
MMT Adviser

Credibility 26

« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2011, 12:48:32 AM »

Hey keep it going Roc! 1.5 cm is a big deal. Just keep at it, and if I can offer you some advice, during your consolidation phase ( if you order it now, you'll probably have it by then) you should use an Exogen 4000. Read up on it, I heard that it can increase recovery time by up to 20%! I know I will use one when I have my surgery in the near future!

'"There is evil in your bones, Equality 7-2521, for your body has grown beyond the bodies of your brothers." But we cannot change our bones nor our body.' - Anthem, by Ayn Rand.
slyly
Lurker

Credibility 0

« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2011, 06:59:56 AM »

Good explanation there with the S cut ^^

S cut increases the surface area for healing because of the curves, at the end of the day your bones will heal faster and can withstand more stress

I can't believe you are only 21.  My age.  And you are on your way to your achievements.  I envy you ^^ Keep up with the updates heee
yungchih69
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2011, 02:04:46 AM »

Thanks Arche, really appreciate it Smiley It's been hard these past few days... I really am just looking forward to "the end" haha.

Hey man, here it is:

The other one is below. See the little red splotch with stiches? (I cover both of them with bandage haha)

Hope that helps;)

Questions:    In generally , there are two incisions for breaking the tibia an fibula.

So, one should be in the inner side and closed to the up of tibia and another one should be located at the lower outer side of fibula.   

But I don't know understand why there are 2 incision cuts all together on the same side?     How about the fibula incision?

Do you know what I mean?
cdrom
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 3

« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2011, 02:11:06 AM »

Yungchih,  you are correct.  There is indeed a small cut on a side that this picture is not showing.  This cut is very small that unless you look very close, you wont notice its there at all.
Roc
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 107

« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2011, 03:54:06 AM »

Hey keep it going Roc! 1.5 cm is a big deal. Just keep at it, and if I can offer you some advice, during your consolidation phase ( if you order it now, you'll probably have it by then) you should use an Exogen 4000. Read up on it, I heard that it can increase recovery time by up to 20%! I know I will use one when I have my surgery in the near future!

ooohh... what be that? haha. Okay, ill go check it out, thanks for the tip Arche;)

Good explanation there with the S cut ^^

S cut increases the surface area for healing because of the curves, at the end of the day your bones will heal faster and can withstand more stress

I can't believe you are only 21.  My age.  And you are on your way to your achievements.  I envy you ^^ Keep up with the updates heee

Slyly,

Thanks for the ego boost regarding the explanation haha. I really had no idea though and it was cdrom who talked to me about it this one time. That aside, you don't have to envy me man. If you can, book now so I'll have people here with me! (everybody's leaving in a little over a month's time:( )

Best of luck to your own LL journey:)

Good diary, Roc.  Congrat on reaching 1.5cm Smiley

Thanks cdrom Grin

Yungchih,  you are correct.  There is indeed a small cut on a side that this picture is not showing.  This cut is very small that unless you look very close, you wont notice its there at all.

I didn't even know that... See? these are what the veterans are here for lol
Roc
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 107

« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2011, 04:47:28 AM »

The First Stretch

(Sept Something - Time of Writing)

Okay, so I guess I can call these whole phase the "first stretch." All the relevant puns aside, this was supposed to be the time I started settling into a routine and really crawl my way into getting taller. Recently, it's been better (my sleeping's improved) and the pain has subsided. But before all that, let's get more into the details:

(Sept 9 - Sept 15)

Around the time was when the doctors asked me to first start turning (10 days post surgery) and this was also the time I first experienced real pain. For those who've read my earlier posts, one of my earliest rantings were in the "Hell Week" section. Now that I know what I know now (ooohh.. little tongue twister), I take that caption back. That wasn't hell week, "this" was.

I was initially told to turn 5 turns (0.833mm) a day for 7 days. Feeling immune to all the pain I've read about in the other diaries... (seriously, why do we all think we're the exemption), I started sneaking in 6's (1mm) every other day thinking "hey, I'm 21, I'm young, I'm fit, I can handle this" - big mistake. That first week was a real killer for me. Looking back, I don't know why I didn't think of the excess turning as the cause of it but then again, the only think I could think of then was the pain.

My right leg was pretty much okay the whole time aside from the occasional heaviness you experience when you first start turning. My left leg, on the other hand, was the source of my constant misery and anguish. I should've taken photos then (too bad I didn't) but I shi* you not, I had bruises in my legs just from the pain. The bulk of it was around the knee joint area. Prior to my coming here, I used to sleep on my side/tummy and because of that, my legs were used to lying on their sides. But now because of the extra weight of the frames, whenever I would lay my leg sideways, the weight of the steel frames would act against my knee joint, causing it bend in ways it most of you probably know it shouldn't. I'm not sure if you got that but just imagine your knees then. We all know our knees are only meant to bend one way: backwards. But again, due to the weight of the steel frames, whenever I lay my leg sideways (which my body, due to habit, would unconsciously do), the force of gravity acting on the steel frames would force my calf area to bend from the knee joint, causing me excruciating pain.

Now, a lot of you may think I'm just 1) exaggerating it to make it more interesting and/or 2) he simply can't handle pain that much but believe me when I say, this hurt like f**king hell. Now as some of you might've read before, there was this one individual who only got to 1-1.5cm and finally begged the doctors to remove the frame. I remember thinking how much of a pussy he was but around this time, the only thing that kept me from doing the same thing was the thought that "I don't want to be like him." I would literally fall asleep due to the exhaustion of punching my pillows out of frustration. This was not a good time.

I eventually talked to dr. Ronne about it and she told me to simply wait it out... she informed me that this were simply (hah! "simply") the tendons getting stretched initially and it would go away after a certain length...

(Sept 15++ - Now)

Well, here I am. It did work out, eventually. The pain subsided and I can lay on my side without experiencing the same levels of pain (although I still can't lie on my side for an extended period of time without my legs starting to act up again.) This was and is where I started falling into a real routine and actually start to enjoy my stay here. I'd go into the nitty gritties of my experiences here and list some of the things you could do to pass the time in my next post but I just want to end the most valuable lesson I've learned throughout "this" whole ordeal:

You are not the exemption.

Do not come here thinking you won't experiences as much pain as you've read in the other diaries. It doesn't matter if you're young or fit, or whatever advantage you might think you have, it all boils down to luck... you might experience more pain that others because of how your legs are formed. T

This wasn't/isn't meant to scare of potential LLers... I simply want to bring you back down to earth. You will experience pain and it will be mentally challenging...

Just pray that you can pull through it because this will all be worth it.

Hope that helps Wink
chlor
MMT Member

Credibility 3

« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2011, 03:39:38 AM »

Hey Roc,

From your description it seems like the pain you went through in your knee could have been totally avoided if you hadn't tried to lie on your side.  Am I misunderstanding something here?  Not to give you a hard time here, but why did you continue to sleep on your side if it caused you so much pain?

Another question I have is, why did you not take painkillers (if you did, were the pills just not strong enough)?  From what I hear, the most intense pain should come immediately post-op, which is managed through the epidural in your spine.  Then, from that point on, the pain can be managed by proper intake of pain meds.  Please do enlighten us if your own experience with the pain has been vastly different.
Roc
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 107

« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2011, 10:46:20 AM »

Hey Roc,

From your description it seems like the pain you went through in your knee could have been totally avoided if you hadn't tried to lie on your side.  Am I misunderstanding something here?  Not to give you a hard time here, but why did you continue to sleep on your side if it caused you so much pain?

Another question I have is, why did you not take painkillers (if you did, were the pills just not strong enough)?  From what I hear, the most intense pain should come immediately post-op, which is managed through the epidural in your spine.  Then, from that point on, the pain can be managed by proper intake of pain meds.  Please do enlighten us if your own experience with the pain has been vastly different.

Hi chlor,

First of all, I'm glad you brought that up. I need to clarify some stuff but before that, just to address your first question:

Yeah, based on my description, I could've avoided the afomentiond pain if I didn't lie on my side but as I've also mentioned, my body was so used to the position that I would sometimes find myself unconsciously shifting due to my body being so used to it. That said, looking back, it wasn't all the side lying that caused the pain.

Now I know this might be confusing but understand that when you're there at that time and you experience pain, you tend to formulate theories as to why you that happens. Again, looking back, because the pain was concentrated around my knee joint, it was for, logical, to think what I did and thus develop that hypothesis but knowing what i know now, I'd have to recant my earlier theory.

Why? Because I've re experienced and am experiencing (it's an on and off thing) the same thing now. There was a time that I consciously lessened my side lying but i still experienced it. Aside from that, there would also be times when I could lie on my side without any pain. Based on that, I conclude that the knee joint pain wasn't due to that but rather on the lengthening process itself. Basically, the nerves inside the knee joint were getting stretched and that caused the pain I described earlier in my post.

Take note though that all these info are anecdotal as I am, of course, not a trained medical personnel but with regards to the revised explanation above, it does coincide with dr. Ronne's explanation (as mentioned in the previous post) so I can say, at least with some level of confidence, that that (and is) the case.

Wow that was a lot. Now to address your second question regarding the pain meds... It's simple really. At that time, I tried my best to avoid them.

Now if you've noticed my usage of "at that time", you can assume I take them now and you are correct. You see, based on my readings around this site, I deduced a simple message: pain meds = not good for growth.

At that time, I was scared of the meds inhibiting my bone formation so I tried my best to avoid them but at some point, I just had to take them cause I seriously couldn't handle it. To be honest, I only started taking pain meds when I happened to skim in his diary that jackolife took a lot too. If he ended up okay, I guess I could suck my pride up and just give in to sweet sweet relief Wink

Thanks for the question chlor. I'm really happy you brought it up the way you did cause that means you were being critical of what I said and you didn't accept it on face value.

Hope these helps;)
Mr.Afzayesh
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 11

« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2011, 04:47:26 PM »

Hey Roc
sorry to hear that you are in so much pain and I wish all will be well with you very soon.
I have a question about nailing in LON method, and I hope you know the answer.
I think doctors should ream inside of the bone, so that the nail could be inserted. I asked this from a doctor and he told me there is no need for reaming and after scanning the bone with CT scan, they will know how much is the intermedullary space and will choose a nail that is proper for me. does it mean that there is a hollow space there?!
I don't have medical knowlege and I know that you don't either, but I always thought that the doctor should ream the bone first, what do you think my friend?
cheers  Smiley

Mr.A  Cool
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 19   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Make Me Taller! The world's number one elective leg lengthening site! Come here for information about LL, things to make you taller, how to get taller permanently, Ilizarov, Betzbone, Guichet Nail, PRECICE, height growth and other height related issues. This is the number one leg lengthening forum for height seekers and people trying to become taller. It was created and run by people who have actually done leg lengthening surgery (LL).

As a community site, MMT forum thrives on people's contributions, so please feel free to share your make me taller questions, videos, photos and experiences here in this leg lengthening forum. Make me taller is open to all, but please read the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) before posting as this will answer nearly all of your questions about getting taller through surgery. Please read our leg lengthening diaries too! We hope that you find this forum useful. Cheers, SysOp.