MMT Community
September 25, 2017, 11:32:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Support MMT Community
News: SysOp is not here to make friends - he is here to keep this forum running smoothly and make sure that it stays the most informative site about LL in the world.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kamui - External Tibias - Dr. Barinov - 2011 - Journey to Volgograd  (Read 53196 times)
Kamui
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2011, 09:00:49 AM »

I have a few questions for you:
a) Don't they give you strong pain-relief injection to help you sleep right after your surgery?
Of course they do, I can say for sure that the painkillers here are also quite effective because of the relaxing effect through the muscles. You sleep way better if you get an injection before going to bed. The thing is just, that the pain during the first night is definitely on a totally different Level, then afterwards. Measured on a scale between 1-10, I would say itís a 7. However after that first night, it dropped dramatically to 2-3.
Right now, I do not feel any pain during the day.

b) Do they offer you to do 'enema' thing or in other words 'empty your guts' prior to the surgery?
Well, they didnít offer it for me. But even if I had the option to do so, I guess I still wouldnít go for it. But thatís of course, just my opinion Smiley

c) Why that woman kept slapping you whilst your were having your surgery? Was it to stop you falling asleep? I'd be annoyed if she did that to me.
Ah that Point Grin

You know, during the whole surgery Dr. Barinov was overall quite caringly, and asked me several times, how Iím feeling, if everything is allright, if I feel any pain and so on. After a couple of minutes, he even allowed me to take a nap, if I feel like it. But for some reason I started to shake, sometimes more sometimes less, and I guess the old nurse was in the end just worried about, that I could accidentally draw my arm to me, where the syringe was seated.

Well, it wasnít that nasty, everything went okay  Cheesy

d) What the food is like?
e) What's your impression of the whole facility?
I will definitely come back to that topic a bit later. Iím still preparing a separate entry for it. Let me just say so far, that you will have the opportunity, to stay in a Hospital or to move to the Institute of Dr. Barinov, which is a apartment and a medical facility at once. The Living standard between this facilities is really huge, almost completely the opposite. I will move to that place on Monday, so that I can take a few pictures to show it to you guys.

one question, can't u choose a full anesthesia with a sleep?? 
Mhm, I suppose you can, but Iím really not sure. I will pass on this question to Dr. Barinov, for you Smiley

I'm actually unsure of what I prefer. Staying awake to see it kind of makes you feel you have a little more control over the situation... But then again, drilling, hammering and all kinds of strange sounds from your legs for SEVERAL HOURS is a lot of time.
I have also asked the same question to myself, before the surgery. And I indeed think that ďcontrolĒ is the Keyword in that matter. Even if you should feel any pain after the anesthesia, you still have always the chance to claim about it.
In the End, I felt definitely much better to be awake.

I see your pictures and I am confused - Do you have only 2 rings Huh? How are you doing distraction Huh?

Yeah, thatís what I do like the most on these frames, just 2 rings  Cheesy
I know that almost everyone has more Frames than me, but 2 are absolutely adequate. I donít know how to answer your question exactly, Iím doing distraction by turning 2 fixation-rings, for each metal rod. I hope itís understandable what Iím trying to explain.

Let me show it in these pictures:

crazy+6
LL Warrior
MMT Expert

Credibility 273

U HAVE ONLY ONE LIFE TO DO ALL THE THINGS U WANT

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2011, 04:01:43 PM »

Thanks for explaining.

Let me clear it what I understood.

you are turning rods and your bone is transporting down through the support of ankle wires (2nd ring in ankle). There are 4 rods connecting upper ring and lower ring. That means entire load is on these 4 rods and 6 wires (3 in upper ring and 3 in lower ring).

Correct me If I am wrong ?

Crazy+6

YES !! I did it - Journey of becoming tall - From 5'4" to 5'11" in India

Current status:- Struggling to get my normal life back.

"Hope is a good thing, May be the best of thing, and no good things ever dies"
capichon2011
MMT Member

Credibility 5

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2011, 04:43:21 PM »

1) For your operation, do they only give you the spinal injection, or also any pills to make you drawsy or relax you?

2) Can you get Morphine or any strong narcotic during the first couple of nights? I personally, wouldn't mind paying extra for it if I have to.   

3) Besides Dr Barinov and the lady that picks you up at the airport in Volgograd, how many people in the facility speak English?

4) What are the rooms like? Do you have internet access, satellite TV, phone in your room? Is there extra charges?

Kamui
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2011, 07:49:27 PM »

Thanks for explaining.

Let me clear it what I understood.

you are turning rods and your bone is transporting down through the support of ankle wires (2nd ring in ankle). There are 4 rods connecting upper ring and lower ring. That means entire load is on these 4 rods and 6 wires (3 in upper ring and 3 in lower ring).

Correct me If I am wrong ?

No, youíre absolutely right.
Thatís exactly how it looks like Smiley

1) For your operation, do they only give you the spinal injection, or also any pills to make you drawsy or relax you?
Besides the shot in the spinal they also inject a syringe in your arm for the whole surgery, to relax your body. But no pills.

2) Can you get Morphine or any strong narcotic during the first couple of nights? I personally, wouldn't mind paying extra for it if I have to.  
I highly doubt that you can. But I would like to pass on this question also to Dr. Barinov, to clarifying that. Let me say, that Dr. Barinov isnít really a fan of really hard painkillers or any kind of drugs. He even recommends taking over time less painkillers to increase your recovery rate.

3) Besides Dr Barinov and the lady that picks you up at the airport in Volgograd, how many people in the facility speak English?
Well, unfortunately just the 2 of them.
Dr. Barinovs secretary speaks also a bit English and his assistant has broken knowledge of English as well.

Now that I donít have a roommate anymore, it sometimes gives me really a hard time, not being able to communicate with anyone during the day. There are sadly no nurses who speaks English in the Hospital, which is sometimes really troublesome.
During the days where I had a roommate with English and Russian knowledge, things were definitely much easier.

Till today, I still havenít managed to ask for which room I have to go for an injection. Sometimes, when its over 22 o'clock Iím just forced to wander through the halls of the Hospital to find a nurse by luck. But don't get this wrong, its not like that the nurses aren't taking care of you.
They are all really really nice here, especially for russian standards  ;P

4) What are the rooms like? Do you have internet access, satellite TV, phone in your room? Is there extra charges?
Same question as Legs7. I will come back to that with a nice entry, when I have a few pictures to demonstrate it.
For moving to the Institue of Dr. Barinov, where the standards are definitely much higher, you don't have to charge extra.

Thank you btw everyone, for your kind words, thatís truly a great community that MMT and SysOp have build up here  Wink
crazy+6
LL Warrior
MMT Expert

Credibility 273

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2011, 09:17:48 PM »

Kamui,

I don't know what your Doctor is saying or how strong it is to wear 2 rings but i would like to advice you be very careful. I personally feel that 2 rings cant bear full body weight. There is extreme chance of pin bending.

I have never seen anyone wearing only 2 rings. I am not trying to scare you but it is my duty to alert you.

cheers

God Bless
Crazy+6
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 09:28:41 PM by crazy+6 » Logged

capichon2011
MMT Member

Credibility 5

« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2011, 02:16:18 AM »

Hi, I would like to know if one can buy morphine, tramal, percocet, or any other strong narcotic pain killers in Russia without the need of a prescription.  I live in the US, but I'm originally from South America where you can walk into any pharmacy and you can get anything your money can buy with no prescription whatsoever.  I'm wondering if Russia is the same.  Thank you.
Mr.Afzayesh
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 11

« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2011, 04:01:11 AM »

Hi, I would like to know if one can buy morphine, tramal, percocet, or any other strong narcotic pain killers in Russia without the need of a prescription.  I live in the US, but I'm originally from South America where you can walk into any pharmacy and you can get anything your money can buy with no prescription whatsoever.  I'm wondering if Russia is the same.  Thank you.

no you can't if you wanna come to kurgan

Mr.A  Cool
craig49
LL Legend
MMT Adviser

Credibility 286

« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2011, 09:15:42 AM »

6 wires only, that is fantastic!  I do think it is sufficient as the lizarov frame is strong and the way that the pins work is like a suspension bridge which can take so much weight. 

With only 6 wires, your scars will also be much less.  Good luck.  I am not pleased that they didn't give you more pain killers the first few days.  If it is at the point of shouting, there is really no excuse for withholding medication.  That is unnecessary suffering.  Armenia did that to LB, and that is just wrong in my opinion, to have to endure that kind of pain without meds, simply because they want to save money. 
Kamui
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2011, 08:53:44 AM »

Second Week (25.11.2011 Ė 02.12.2011)   [Eine leidvolle Erfahrung]

Day 1. - Itís quite early in the morning, a nurse comes suddenly into my room to give me my last catheter injection after suffering for several days through a terrible headache, which I got as a side effect of the anesthesia. I was quite happy to feel, how the headache went finally away, and was in the same time really excited, being able to get started with my walking exercises again.

Taking my sight straight to my buddy, I saw packing him his whole stuff and preparing to leave the Hospital for today. After the first horrible night I went through, and the days afterwards in which he helped me so much and has done so many things for me, It was finally the right time for him, to go his own way and rent an apartment for the last time of his consultation period. After managing 9 cm and 8 month in this hospital.

I have to admit, that I was really a bit saddish about his leaving, finally realizing that I will have to spend a lonely time in the following days and weeks, since Peter was also not here anymore.

In the middle of the day, Dr. Barinov appeared once again with Dr. Mr. Assistant to check my condition and advice me to the next steps I have to follow. But more importantly then that, he presented me this...

A tool capable of changing ones destiny and the first day I started to turn by 1 mm per day!!!

Day 2- 5.
After a few hours in which I was hopefully able to get some real sleep, I started once again to turn my resolution in to reality.
I went up and started to walk regularly through the next days, yay!

I really had a great feeling in my legs. Even spending the first week mostly in my bed, my walking abilities still increased day after day. I tried to reach my limit and was after a few hours later, even able to walk half of the corridor without crunches. But down to the present day, this was unfortunately the only days, I was capable to do so.

Day 6-7.
Almost 2 weeks has passed, and till today I had no serious complications. But that blessing suddenly disappeared after waking up on this day. For some unknown reason, I had a horrible pain under my knee of my right leg, exactly on that point, where my bone was cutting apart.
I was quite surprise how fast my condition has fallen down to that point, and didnít even had hours before a slightly premonition of this kind of pain. It just suddenly appeared, from one moment to the other.

I abruptly realized, that this has to be the odd way, of Leg lengthening.

I tried to get up, and was completely stunned to realize that I really wasnít able stand, or rather even to walk.
Just a few minutes after this awareness, the Assistant Doctor of Dr. Barinov came into my room and told me to stand up and take a walk to the physical therapy room to get started with myÖ.well, u know physical therapy.

I told him the high intensity of pain I had under my knee and that Iím right now not even able to stand. He just responded that it is a normal procedure to have pain especially in that area, logically cause of the cut which was made there.
Mr. Assistant however, persisted strongly, that even with the high pain I had, I still have to get up right now and go to the physical therapy room, not offering me even a painkiller before doing so.

We started a little fight, in which he, before leaving the room, ultimately said that if I donít get up right now, that they will stop the lengthening process. Iím quite certain that he misunderstood several things I tried him to explain, because of the fact he just speaks very bad English, which ended up, in a terrible communication.

But nevertheless, I suddenly saw myself forced to stand up and endure that pain, and when I just tried to think about it, I honestly had no clue how to manage that. As I said before, the pain was really outstanding strong, and I didnít got any painkillers on that morning.

A few minutes passed awayÖ.and with very much determination and confidence, I somehow managed to stand up again, which took about 2-3 minutes btw.

Oh maaaaaaanÖ...

AAAAARGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Right now, Iím really on a moment where I actually donít even know, how to explain that pain I had. It was just mind-blowing. Measured on a scale 8,6 /10.

I took a steepÖ..and was immediately forced to scream.
I got out of my room, to the beginning of the corridor, and the pain increased stupidly even more and so did also my screaming. I took step after step, screaming after screaming, my way to the physical therapy room and from the beginning on, I started to sweat in a very high concentration. It was so much, that my sweat went all over the floor, coming from my face. I had troubles keeping my eyes opened, and when I was looking back the way I already went, a trace of sweat was clearly to see.

During this whole moment, the people around the corridor became suddenly really silent and looked quite shocked at me. A few of them tried to talk with me in Russian, just realizing afterwards that I wasnít able to understand them.

Step after step, screaming after screamingÖ..I finally arrived at the physical therapy roomÖ.

Third Week (02.12.2011 Ė 09.12.2011)

Day 1-7.
2 days after my first painful experience during the Leg lengthening process, my right leg was fortunately feeling better and more pain-resistant again. Walking was definitely easier, though not as good as it was during the beginning of the second week.

I restarted one more time with my walking and besides that, I made for myself an extensive trainings plan, which includes a lot of stretching exercises.
So that stretching became on these days, my main activity.
But more importantly than that is the fact, that I had finally reached on the 5th of DecemberÖ.

1 cm!!
Kamui
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2011, 09:17:16 AM »

Kamui,

I don't know what your Doctor is saying or how strong it is to wear 2 rings but i would like to advice you be very careful. I personally feel that 2 rings cant bear full body weight. There is extreme chance of pin bending.

I have never seen anyone wearing only 2 rings. I am not trying to scare you but it is my duty to alert you.

Thank you for your concern, crazy.

Unfortunately I have honestly to say, that your doubts arenít unfounded.
I discovered a few things which are indeed worrisome. But right now, I will and cannot comment on that furthermore without having completely and clearly facts.

However, I will keep you guys up to date, on this topic.
Fezzy
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2011, 11:02:48 AM »

Heyy Kamui!

I'm following your diary and I have to say your doing a great job dude! Just hang in there. I'm sure eventually the pain will decrease.
The idea of them not giving you any pain relief sounds devasting!
Just try and keep your mind busy..keep yourself occupied Smiley

How long are you planning to stay there for? Around 7 months?

Men must be free to do what they believe.  It is not our right to punish one for thinking what they do, no matter how much we disagree!
Vato
MMT Member

Credibility 3

« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2011, 11:15:13 AM »

I can't get why don't they give u enough painkillers, have not u argued aganist that fact?
crazy+6
LL Warrior
MMT Expert

Credibility 273

« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2011, 12:45:00 PM »

Thank you for your concern, crazy.

Unfortunately I have honestly to say, that your doubts arenít unfounded.
I discovered a few things which are indeed worrisome. But right now, I will and cannot comment on that furthermore without having completely and clearly facts.

However, I will keep you guys up to date, on this topic.

Hope for the best.

God bless
Crazy+6

Legs7
LL Patient
MMT Member

Credibility 84

I choose Alternative Growing Method!

« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2011, 06:51:56 PM »

Kamui,

Thank you for a great update.  My goodness, I am hanging onto your every word as it could potentially be me there, going through the same experience.  I understand that less painkillers mean faster recovery but not to the extent that you have to sweat uncontrollably and scream due to extreme pain.  They could have given you smth at that very moment until the pain decreased a bit. 
Well done on achieving your very first CM. 

I'd like to hear out your concerns regarding two-ring frame, of course, when you are ready to discuss them.

Stay strong!   :)
Kamui
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2011, 03:25:34 PM »

Facilities in Volgograd

Hospital vs Dr. Barinovís Institute

Well well, where should I begin?
Iím clearly aware that this matter is probably one of most important things for you guys to know about, so I will try to explain and compare these facilities as detailed as I can.

The Hospital

Let me introduce my first-room in a few pics:

As may you be able to see, we have here in the middle, one of the oldest Televisions I have ever seen in my life  Grin
Here on the left side of the picture we can clearly identify a fridge and above that a water boiler.
Each bed has furthermore 2 sockets on each side, so you will be able to plug in your electronic equipment.

Room-Score: 5/10

The Bathroom

A few rooms have also there own bathrooms, but not all of them. In my case, luckily I had a bathroom in my room. And if I have understood it correctly, all leg lengthening patients will have their own bathrooms. I mean, itís just logical, canít really imagine that you will have to use the toilets in the corridor, especially not in the first 2 weeks.

But let me describe the cleanliness and hygiene standards in the bathrooms and toilets.

The toilets are by far, one of the most disgusting ones Iíve ever seen in my life. Donít expect any pictures of that, I donít want to traumatize any one of you. The main problem actually is, that they are completely worn out and even rusted on several places. A restoration is long overdue.
Especially the toilets in the corridorÖÖI mean, itís like a desire for a record.

The toilet seat in my room for example, was completely loose, it wasnít even mounted. Cleaning your butt in that situation was like doing a balancing act on a rope.

Bathroom-Score: 0,3/10 Ė Completely Failed.

The Food

YeaaaaaÖ..
Well, what to sayÖ.
Just make your own impression, here a few Pics:

Breakfast

Lunch

Iím begging you, please donít ask me what that actually is. I have really no Idea. The breakfast seems like a sort of rice milk, but it isnít. A Dinner is btw also included on every day.

Food-Score: 3,1/10

Room-equipment

A regular Internet access like Wireless-Lan is not available in the Hospital, which actually isnít really such a big deal. Cause, most of the peoples here with a laptop, have their own Internet Flat through a USB-Surfstick, which is much cheaper here in Russia compared to Europe or the USA.
A microwave or a Phone is also not available in your room.

Taken all together, we have indeed just a water Boiler and the fridge, which are in my opinion after all, the most important ones.

Equipment-Score: 5,4/10

End result Hospital: 3,45/10

The medical Institute of Dr. Barinov

After spending 3 Ĺ Weeks in the hospital I was quite relieved to get something like an "upgrade".
Let me introduce my second-room in a few pics:

As you can see, everything is very clean and the standard is also noticeable higher. Moreover you feel definitely much more comfortable and inviting compared to a regular Hospital.
The room itself includes only so far a new bought TV and a fridge.

Room-Score: 8,8/10

Equipment

Going to the outside, we are coming to a small corridor in the apartment.

Which includesÖ

A Steper

Which no one uses btw  Grin

A Microwave on the left, a better Water Boiler on the right and on the left next to it a Water Destillator.

A Wireless-Lan is fortunately also available in the apartment, which is pretty fast, btw.
And the same goes also for a washing machine.

Equipment-Score: 9,5/10 Ė Even more than I personally need.

The Bathroom

The apartment itself includes 2 Bathrooms, in which one of them has also a pretty modern Shower.

But let me describe once again in a few short sentences, the cleanliness and hygiene standards.

The Toilets are definitely clean, and are used to be cleaned on every day. We have one nurse here, who is taking care of almost everything within the apartment.
So fortunately, completely the opposite compared to the Hospital.

Bathroom-Score: 9,6/10

The Food

Well, since One Picture is Worth than Ten Thousand Words, I will give you the opportunity to make your own impression.

So how does it task like?
Yeah, u knowÖkinda hard to say.
Itís actually "Okay". It is certainly way better than the craap you got in the Hospital, but nevertheless I still wouldnít consider it as "good" food.
Itís quite satisfying, at least you will not get a urge to gag.

Food-Score: 6,1/10

End result Dr. Barinovís Institute: 8,5/10

Just to give you an additional advice at the end of this entry.

Please keep in mind, that Dr. Barinovís Institute is quite new, and opened his doors just about 1 Ĺ months ago. His whole staff here, is currently working to get all of the necessary licenses and certifications to make the surgeries here also possible.
So that means, that maybe in the near future when you guys will arrive here, you will not be forced to go through all of the horrible experience in the Hospital, like I went. 

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you  Wink
Kamui
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2011, 03:54:00 PM »

Heyy Kamui!

I'm following your diary and I have to say your doing a great job dude! Just hang in there. I'm sure eventually the pain will decrease.
The idea of them not giving you any pain relief sounds devasting!
Just try and keep your mind busy..keep yourself occupied Smiley

How long are you planning to stay there for? Around 7 months?
Thank you Fezzy  Smiley
About my staying, I will stay exactly 3 months in Volgograd for several reasons. But donít take my recklessness as an example, I advice everyone of you, to stay also in the consolidation phase in Russia. Itís much more safer and you will definitely suffer way les complications, when you have to face them.

I can't get why don't they give u enough painkillers, have not u argued aganist that fact?
Yeah, u know. Getting Painkillers is especially in the Hospital absolutely no Problem. In that case, it was just something like an misunderstanding.

I'd like to hear out your concerns regarding two-ring frame, of course, when you are ready to discuss them.
We will come to that, donít worry  Wink
capichon2011
MMT Member

Credibility 5

« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2011, 02:12:26 AM »

1) How did you bring the money to Russia? Do you think bringing traveller's cheques would be safe? I also heard that this center accepts credit cards, is that true? By the way, how do you keep your money safe in your room?

2) How do you manage your laundry and grocery shopping? Can the nurse or someone go to the store and buy what you need (snacks, toothpaste, soap? Also, I've heard that they have a McDonald's in Volgograd, do you know if you could order delivery?

3) How easy is to use the toilet with the frames on? I mean, I've had several small cosmetic surgeries, and when your freshly cut up and you try to take a dump, by simply contracting your butt muscles and pushing out it hurts on your wounds.  

4) I know one can't shower during LL, but could you explain to me how one can wash up or stay clean.  I know now it is winter over there and you must have a heater in you rooms, but I'm thinking of going to Russia during the summer, do they have fans or air conditioning in the rooms?

5) You said there wasnt no telephone in your room, but can you tell me if you can borrow someone's telephone and get a prepaid phonecard to call other countries.  By the way, I know in Russsia they use 220v electricity, if you're from America where we use 110v, do you need an adapter to use your computer or any other devices you may bring with you?

Thank you so much, stay strong, and keep us posted!
Sweden
Current recovery level: 82% and improving.
LL Veteran
MMT Expert

Credibility 304

LL Fighter, prophet, expert, adviser, hero, LEGEND

« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2012, 10:18:07 PM »

Nice Diary!

Sorry to say it, but the food really looks a bit nasty - hope it tastes better than it looks....

How is your friend doing after lengthening 9cm?
Wasn't the muscles and tendons irrepareable when going past 7,5cm?

Best of luck.

Starting height 173cm, now confirmed 180cm. Had surgery in India January 8 -13. Did ~7cm on tibia. Frame removal: 16 April -13. 180cm wingspan. Shrunk to 179cm as my final height. Considering femurs.
Dookieman
Certified Member
MMT Expert

Credibility 41

« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2012, 04:06:17 AM »

Wow when you described the pain I was literally scared for you. I hung onto every word and am glad to say that you got through those tough times. You are a stud!

171.5cm
pascha
MMT Member

Credibility 2

« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2012, 12:00:32 PM »

Just wanted to ask about this Kamui, you "will and cannot comment on that " because you might get in trouble with your doctor? 

I understand that you want to get things right, but if you were to come across something that was indeed done wrong, would you be able to comment on that without getting into problems?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Make Me Taller! The world's number one elective leg lengthening site! Come here for information about LL, things to make you taller, how to get taller permanently, Ilizarov, Betzbone, Guichet Nail, PRECICE, height growth and other height related issues. This is the number one leg lengthening forum for height seekers and people trying to become taller. It was created and run by people who have actually done leg lengthening surgery (LL).

As a community site, MMT forum thrives on people's contributions, so please feel free to share your make me taller questions, videos, photos and experiences here in this leg lengthening forum. Make me taller is open to all, but please read the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) before posting as this will answer nearly all of your questions about getting taller through surgery. Please read our leg lengthening diaries too! We hope that you find this forum useful. Cheers, SysOp.