MMT Community
August 14, 2018, 09:40:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: MMTA has written a book about about his LL journey.  Click here to buy it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Was Apotheosis Interview on National Televison Good or Bad for LL?
It was good for LL
It was bad for LL
I'm undecided.
This is a stupid question.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Was Apotheosis Interview on National Televison Good or Bad for LL?  (Read 44013 times)
SysOp
Forum Admin / Moderator
Administrator
MMT Expert

Credibility 712

« on: February 28, 2012, 02:15:27 PM »

A few members have requested that I run a poll about whether Apotheosis doing an interview on national television in the United States was good or bad for LL. Some people who are lengthening right now feel it is bad for them because they are worried their families will find out they did LL when they return home. There are also people who have found out about LL for the first time and appreciate that Apotheosis helped them discover it. That really isn't what this poll is asking. It is not asking whether the interview was good for you. It is asking whether in a broader sense the interview has helped or hurt LL, and the greater LL community.
Ticky
MMT Member

Credibility 7

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 04:54:59 PM »

Hmmm this is a tricky subject as he's not the first to do some kind of interview. I think the problem was the reference to this site, a lot of people use this as their 'getaway' where they're not judged and can be 'free' to a certain extent. Personally i don't think he did anything wrong as such, but i do think a warning about the mention of the site should have been told so people could request certain photos to be removed or a change of user name.
navlo
Certified Member
MMT Member

Credibility 3

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 05:19:40 PM »

On the short term, putting LL in front of the scene is not subtile or clever because people don't know about it and have a bad idea about it.It just put pressure on the LL community by increasing prices due high demand and by sillyness of the surrounding. However, on the long term, maybe others doctors will take the plundge and create competition which will lower prices.Maybe it will be more and more accpeted...

Fore these reasons, I voted "undecided".

LL with Betz. End of 2013 hopefully.
Quixotic
MMT Adviser

Credibility 24

It's expensive, staying human.

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 06:00:30 PM »

It should have no effect at all, ergo my 'stupid question' response.  There have been shows on LL before.  Here in the U.K, I first heard about LL on TV. The MMT forum is not some kind of underground group of people wanting to better God; It's a forum about breaking your legs.  Nothing more, nothing less.

And honestly, those who claim 'people will know I've had LL now.' So wait, you didn't expect people to notice beforehand? LL will change your life forever.  And there is no going back.  

Unless a certain event makes the price of LL drop to $1000 dollars or makes it pain-free, or on the otherhand if it leads to the illegalisation of it around the world, then the interview was neither good nor bad. Nothing significant will change.  

Current height: 176.5cm
Sitting height: 93.25cm

Target height: 181.5cm
jmnj06
MMT Member

Credibility 12

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 10:19:17 PM »

I think it was a great thing.  Did not think this was a safe way to alter your height, but based on diaries I have read it is possible.

I am 165cm and have worn insoles my whole life.

After the 20/20 interview I am obsessed in gaining 8cm in the tib area, by the safest way possible. 
Gregory
MMT Member

Credibility 4

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 11:29:10 PM »

Personally, I care nothing about the interview in 20/20 (people of my generation don't have this kind of stuff on their TiVo's so there is not a chance they will watch it). I care about the thing making it to the front portal of yahoo. Many people I know check yahoo a couple of times a day, even at work.

I think that most of us who had done LL previously had done it with the assumed condition that no-one we didn't want to know, would know what he did (especially not so easly). Now that the news is out, we are afraid of being exposed because of the possible bullshit stories we were giving to others (suddenly appearing taller to people we knew, suddenly having the same scars in both legs to people we are just meeting (or already met post-LL), suddenly explaining disabilities to our bosses and HR departments). I imagined that the most affected are those who are going through LL right now, and who will now have to make drastic changes to their stories in order to keep this thing a secret. I imagine that many people in hospital beds right now will have to miss an extra couple of months of school or work until they can return to their lives walking normally, never mind in wheelchairs or walkers (and even then suddenly taller?Huh? a recent yahoo article comes to mind perhaps???). And yes, it might seem selfish, but many of us live in social circles where being found out matters.

Sure some new people who would want it and didn't know about it will now know, do it, and be happy for it; but it surely comes at the price of those others who could be exposed (and yes it is much more likely now).

I certainly think this was not a win-win situation. It was more of a treade-off: the well being of some for the price of others. I certainly think those that could have been affected should have been given some sort of notice/warning prior to agreeing to an interview. Sure it is your freedom, but certainly, in my pursuing my own personal freedom, I would never like to do something that causes any form of harm/affliction to others who are innocent to my actions.

And guys let's cool off the personal attacks in this thread. Yes I know I called Apotheosis terrible things, but let's not call each other names here.
pattymatty
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 11:57:24 PM »

I think it was a great thing.  Did not think this was a safe way to alter your height, but based on diaries I have read it is possible.

I am 165cm and have worn insoles my whole life.

After the 20/20 interview I am obsessed in gaining 8cm in the tib area, by the safest way possible. 

jmnj06, it's like we share the same brain! I must say that I, too, want to gain 8 cm in tibia using the safest, least scarring method. I have been wearing heels since I stopped growing. I have fallen flat on my face a lot of times already, so I really want to have longer legs, so that I can wear flats and still be tall.

I believe that Apotheosis' 20/20 interview helped LL in general. His interview increased awareness of the process. There are a lot of people out there who have always been miserable with their height, who have always been teased, who have always had to prove themselves in other areas because they have to make up for their lack of height. These people are given new hope that all is not lost, there is chance to be taller even though you've past the growing years, even if you're from short stature families. I believe that awareness will increase interest, which will lead to increase in demand, and therefore will lead to decrease in prices in the long run, as more and more doctors will soon be offering this kind of service. Just like the first computers were so slow and so expensive, just like the cost of rhinoplasty have decreased in recent years with the increase in demand for the surgery, etc.

I have no answer for those people who choose to not divulge whether they had an LL operation or not. I believe it's a matter of personal choice. I would be honest about it when it's my turn, to those people who matter to me, of course. I really want to be taller, and I will have an LL as soon as I save enough money.
prockprack
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 01:21:34 AM »

I don't think it really matters. People will eventually forget as they have in the past.
6ftby2014
MMT Expert

Credibility 38

Current height 171.5cm (5'7.5")

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 06:08:39 AM »

I thought it was great because without it , I would never have found out about LL. Most people have already forgotten it though. There is no risk of it becoming mainstream... too expensive and difficult.... it is still going to be a secret that people hear about but may or may not even believe that it happens so often. I can get 3 inches taller and no one I know would ever think to ask if I had my legs lengthened, it just isn't that well known.

Latah.

" Whatever you want, you shall have. Whatever you search for, you shall find ".
Dookieman
Certified Member
MMT Expert

Credibility 41

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2012, 08:20:08 AM »

I like Apotheosis so I'm biased in his favor. However, I hope my circle of friends won't ask me "Hey you're taller, I remember seeing this 20/20 special a while back where this guy gained six inches." However, if they do so what? I'm taller and that is what's really important to me.

171.5cm
6ftby2014
MMT Expert

Credibility 38

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2012, 05:22:09 PM »

Exactly Dookieman. That is the point. It is OUR lives... I think this is a point to be proud of, an extreme accomplishment that most people are unable or unwilling to do. Women get breast implants and immediately but clothes to show off their new "improvement" so why not be proud of what you have done and show it off?

jak70
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2012, 04:16:42 AM »

I think in the future LL will be as common as fixing your teeth.
Technology marches forward for the sake of human quality of life.

The interview is fine and is not harmful to LL community.  I am glad that the interview has helped to open up possibilities to other people who wish to get taller but did not about LL before. 
Shortlegs
MMT Contributor

Credibility 6

Hmm, how to get taller?

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2012, 06:04:20 AM »

Its good for LL in general, but its bad for the youth like me who want to lie about getting taller because people can still having a growth spurt in the 20s is something that is trust-able.
jak70
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2012, 08:01:40 AM »

There are a lot of people out there who have always been miserable with their height, who have always been teased, who have always had to prove themselves in other areas because they have to make up for their lack of height. These people are given new hope that all is not lost, there is chance to be taller even though you've past the growing years, even if you're from short stature families. I believe that awareness will increase interest, which will lead to increase in demand, and therefore will lead to decrease in prices in the long run, as more and more doctors will soon be offering this kind of service. Just like the first computers were so slow and so expensive, just like the cost of rhinoplasty have decreased in recent years with the increase in demand for the surgery, etc.

Very well said.
Redemption
MMT Contributor

Credibility 11

Determination

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2012, 08:13:22 AM »

It's not that the awareness is a bad thing.

Letting people know that it is possible to get taller even after you have stopped growing will be great for people who need it because it will boost their confidence and help them in other aspects of their life. (career, women, etc.)

The only bad thing about making it mainstream is having to people who can't relate to us and judging us. Plus if it were so mainstream then after having limb lengthening people will suspect that you had it to make you taller. Which I don't really want people to know unless I tell them. Making LL a household name will not give me the choice to let people know about my operation.

Honestly, I think the people who do need it will search for ways to get taller and eventually come across it just like we did.

Although I don't think it was a bad thing necessarily either. I am still undecided to be honest because there are pros and cons to it.

But IMO the cons just seem to outweigh the pros in the slightest because of how judgmental people are and how taboo they will view a procedure that makes you immobile for months and have your legs broken just to get taller.

And the people who aren't short will never be able to relate.

"If I ever met Genetics, I would kick him in the nuts..."

Current height: 5'7/171cm Future height: 5'11/181cm

Wingspan: 178cm Sitting height: 95cm
Dookieman
Certified Member
MMT Expert

Credibility 41

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2012, 09:23:24 AM »

Redemption - I'd like to add to what you said above.

For those of us who are short the interview was a most fortuitous event because we now know we can actually do something about our short stature. However, for family and friends they now know how we got those extra inches.

171.5cm
Gregory
MMT Member

Credibility 4

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2012, 06:07:52 PM »

Wow I thought this topic was kind of passe but I guess the debate continues. The question is whether the thing was good or bad for LL... In the short-term, I still think is bad. In Beijing it takes about 5 months to do lengthening and it takes about another 5 months to leave the crutches and leg braces behind completely (as recommended by doctors). It might still take a few extra months to fix one's walking gait completely (this again depending on how well one stretched the muscles and tendons are). I have friends in common with Halo who are still walking quite poorly almost 2 years after their second surgery. Throughout this time people do make questions and comments about your walking condition (this is especially true when they also see your scars). I know because people I didn't even know asked me at the bank, at my new job, and even new female friends I was meeting with friends at bars. I always told them that it was because of a sports related injury which required surgery, but knowing that it was surgery in both legs combined with the fact that I was abroad for a long time it makes one sound suspicious. It only takes a yahoo news story about leg lengthening for normal, healthy guys for people to connect the dots.

Back when I was in Beijing, 100% of the people there wanted to make sure this was kept a secret. It was sort of magical returning to society knowing that most couldn't even begin to imagine. Now that the word is out, the magic secret of LL is gone. People who still want to keep it a secret will have to hide out for much longer after their second surgery so that people in the outside won't connect the dots. People who want to hide it from intimate others will have pay extra to get rid of their scars.

Sure I know that there are many new people who didn't know about it who now will be able to get this surgery, but these people will have time to make plans for the extra time it takes to walk normal and without braces. I know there are many people who went to Beijing who didn't get a chance to make a plan, and who now will just have to hide for months longer to keep it a secret. So yeah, in a way, some people were thrown under the bus for the good of others... whether that is a good thing or not is a matter of personal opinion.
luffy
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 78

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2012, 06:44:25 PM »

Well said gregulle.

Yes people will eventually forget. I'm sure many short people who wanted to get taller will forget the article and live on with their lives. But million of other people will remember the yahoo article and connect the dots when they see you suddenly get taller or the scars on your legs.
6ftby2014
MMT Expert

Credibility 38

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2012, 06:56:38 PM »

People forgot about it 5 min. after it aired. I showed my GF and she thought it was crazy. Now when I point out stuff like proportions she still doesn't get it ..... Even if people still remember, they will never connect the dots.... it's too crazy an idea to think about for most people.

Dookieman
Certified Member
MMT Expert

Credibility 41

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2012, 12:29:56 AM »

I once wore 5 inch elevator shoes around a female friend and she kept asking "Why are you taller, are you wearing boots?" I really had no answer for her so I just joked it off. I can only imagine how my friends are going to respond not after one but hopefully two LL surgeries. Maybe they'll connect the dots, maybe the won't. In the end all that really matters is that I'm my dream height now. I'm not going to get lost on the minutiae on if the interview was good or bad as it can be viewed either way.

171.5cm
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Make Me Taller! The world's number one elective leg lengthening site! Come here for information about LL, things to make you taller, how to get taller permanently, Ilizarov, Betzbone, Guichet Nail, PRECICE, height growth and other height related issues. This is the number one leg lengthening forum for height seekers and people trying to become taller. It was created and run by people who have actually done leg lengthening surgery (LL).

As a community site, MMT forum thrives on people's contributions, so please feel free to share your make me taller questions, videos, photos and experiences here in this leg lengthening forum. Make me taller is open to all, but please read the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) before posting as this will answer nearly all of your questions about getting taller through surgery. Please read our leg lengthening diaries too! We hope that you find this forum useful. Cheers, SysOp.