MMT Community
January 21, 2019, 01:50:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SysOp is not here to make friends - he is here to keep this forum running smoothly and make sure that it stays the most informative site about LL in the world.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Balzakin - External Tibias - Dr. Xia - 2012 - A foreign devil in Peking  (Read 50361 times)
chandlercrossings
Lurker

Credibility 0

« Reply #160 on: May 09, 2013, 10:29:38 AM »

thanks for coming back after your lengthening phase and sharing your thoughts with us.  i hope you have a quick recovery!
OneSevenOne
MMT Contributor

Credibility 19

« Reply #161 on: May 09, 2013, 06:44:58 PM »

@onesevenone - demographic? are you saying..I'm old? Smiley No dude, I'm still the same as you Smiley) I'm none the wiser.

Not at all to do with age my friend, I was meaning that we might not be who you want to talk to about your LL decisions because all of us here are seeking the same goal, so for us to talk it might not be the most honest discussion.

The big question - You can turn back the clock 3 years, what path would you take?  What advice would you give yourself?

"The future doesn’t belong to the fainthearted; it belongs to the brave."

Ronald Reagan
balzakin
LL Patient
MMT Member

Credibility 13

« Reply #162 on: May 13, 2013, 01:16:26 PM »

The thing about time is that you can't turn it back, we all make decisions based on the information at hand. Also each
person wants different things so my advice may not be good for you.

If you really want some advice I would say that get out of life what you want at this moment. Don't wait until you are rich,
successful, taller etc in a couple of years or more.

If you are asking this in regard to my LL decision, I"d have to say the jury is still out. I have suffered and am still suffering pain. And
its not over. So my question is, for what? to be accepted by others? well let me tell you that some people have noticed my height difference
and their attitude is not at all accepting. If you have many people in your life and you want to do this procedure and you expect to go
unnoticed, you are kidding yourself. The ideal would be to start a new life but not many of us can do that.
Padfreak101
MMT Member

Credibility 4

« Reply #163 on: May 13, 2013, 02:04:16 PM »

you want to do this procedure and you expect to go
unnoticed, you are kidding yourself. The ideal would be to start a new life but not many of us can do that.

i was thinking the same thing ... it would be like any other cosmetic surgery ... if you watch any cosmetic surgery shows they say similar thing .. thank for this bakakin

just one question do you know any good doctor to go to in sydney after LL ??
balzakin
LL Patient
MMT Member

Credibility 13

« Reply #164 on: August 19, 2013, 06:57:27 AM »

hi all,
here is my latest update. The first thing is that I am walking normally without any limping.
I havn't started running yet but I will say that I am going to start with a light jog next month, just a
few paces. I don't have any ballerina, but my calf muscles are a little tight in the morning when i wake up. This goes
away about 20 minutes after standing/walking.

The second thing to know is that there is pain for a few months after surgery. I can feel pain in my calf muscles
as well as my thighs. I think its important for others to know this so they know what to expect if they decide to do this surgery.
Your bones are broken and they are in the process of repair and growth. This involves pain. I take aspirin and sometimes paracetamol, usually
at night. I particularly like aspirin because it thins the blood and can potentially reduce the risk of blood clots. Sometimes the pain can be
tough to deal with because it seems like it is non - stop. Although recently, I've had periods where the pain has calmed down a bit.

One thing to mention is that I had a lung xray to make sure that there were no blood clots in my lungs, this can potentially be fatal.
Because I am in Australia, this didn't cost me anything, so I saved a few hundred dollars there.

Finally, I don't think about my height anymore. this is not because i feel awesomely tall, its because after all the pain I've been through over the last
few months (coming up to 1 year), I value my health than I did before. I really want to get on with my life and I hope there are no long term consequences from what i did. I am not constantly measuring myself against the wall. I am especially glad that I did not lengthen any more than 7cm. This would have been a disaster, and I would believe it would have extended my recovery time exponentially. For others, please do not go past 7cm max. Also, I really do think that the extra height would have made me disproportionate. As it is, 7cm looks just right, 5cm would have been good too.

I don't regret going to beijing to have this surgery because I was in a controlled environment and was closely monitored. In my case, I had alot of pin infections and alot of antibiotics to combat it. Even though the food was cra*, it was reassuring that doctors / nurses were close by. The screws / rod in my leg are holding up, so I would say that they did a good job with the surgery. I havn't had any internal infection so far, which was what I was most worried about.

If I had the choice again to do this surgery, I would say no. I don't think the added height will change my life to any significant degree, other than I have stopped thinking about my height all the time, but that's about it. I wouldn't say that i totally regretted the decision, it was just the choice I make at the time and now I've got to see it through. Having looked back, I think that my height held me back, not because I was short, but because I thought I was and I obsessed over it. Perhaps that's easy to say now because I have had the surgery. I think people tend to pin their lack of success or dissatisfaction in life on some physical attribute or another. In truth, there are plenty of tall dickheads around, and plenty of short successful happy people, the evidence all around us in undeniable. If you are thinking about this surgery, really look closely about why you are doing it.

Anyway enough lecturing, I will post xray pics once I figure out how to do it. I'm happy with progress. My local doctor said it will heal in another
four months but i will probably wait another six months to get the rods out.
Sweden
Current recovery level: 82% and improving.
LL Veteran
MMT Expert

Credibility 304

LL Fighter, prophet, expert, adviser, hero, LEGEND

« Reply #165 on: August 19, 2013, 07:20:13 AM »

That's great to hear you have no ballerina 11 months post 1st surgery. Gives me hope.

You are at a good height now, be proud of what you've accomplished!

Best of luck.

Starting height 173cm, now confirmed 180cm. Had surgery in India January 8 -13. Did ~7cm on tibia. Frame removal: 16 April -13. 180cm wingspan. Shrunk to 179cm as my final height. Considering femurs.
jenslarsen
Certified Member
MMT Contributor

Credibility 14

« Reply #166 on: August 19, 2013, 07:26:42 AM »

Great update, hoping for your full recovery and no long term issues.

Could you tell a bit more about whether you're treated differently by people, women, etc., by not being short anymore? You mentioned some thoughts/concerns about that about that a while back. Does most people you are around know that you had this surgery now? If so, how are the reactions and attitudes towards it, now that some time has passed since you got home?

5'7"
balzakin
LL Patient
MMT Member

Credibility 13

« Reply #167 on: August 19, 2013, 08:42:14 AM »

Thanks for your comments.
People have treated me exactly the same as before the surgery. This sounds strange but this surprised me a bit, having thought there was a big conspiracy against short people. Turns out there isn't, despite what you read on the internets. People just don't care. My mother commented just the other day "your taller". I came back home last April. My father didn't notice anything at all, or atleast he didn't say anything. Most of the comments I've had are that I look thinner. People notice a change, but they can't put their finger on it.

Having said that, I haven't ventured out a whole lot and I still have some living to do, God willing. I suspect that it might be a bit soon to tell the social impact/ benefit of a height increase if any. My girlfriends said that she noticed that I was a little bit more confident in the way that I walk etc. Perhaps there is a subtle change but I don't notice any difference. I think most of the benefit from LL is from how you feel about yourself and this affects how others will react to you, rather than the actual height itself. I did feel excited about my new height when I first returned, but you do put less focus on it after a while. Sometimes I say to myself "yep, this is pretty cool", other times I say "what the hell did I do?".

On days when the pain is not so good, I think its not worth it. When I'm not having pain, I think its totally worth it. Today I'm having a shi* day because I have a bit of pain, perhaps because I walked too much. I've just finished reading Dyrani's update and it is great to see him being so positive and living his life. I havn't been to this forum in a while but I found the post lifted me up a bit. Good on you mate.

There are some days that i go for long walks for about 45 mins or so. If you see my xrays, I'm actually recovering very fast within the time period, but it doesn't come without some pain. Sometimes I am impatient with my recovery, but it really is a long term project.

jenslarsen
Certified Member
MMT Contributor

Credibility 14

« Reply #168 on: August 19, 2013, 09:06:16 AM »

Thanks again for the reply, it's very interesting, and unfortunately a little rare here, to hear these descriptions of how life is after LL for good and bad. I guess the most noticeable area of a guy's life (where his attitude matters less than external factors) could be when he's suddenly taller than girls he's interested in dating, and that most likely would reject him before LL for being shorter than her. As you already have a girlfriend, that obviously does not apply.

You also mentioned something about some people not being sympathetic to the surgery. Have you gotten some snide remarks?

5'7"
balzakin
LL Patient
MMT Member

Credibility 13

« Reply #169 on: August 19, 2013, 09:18:06 AM »

funny you mentioned, i did get snide remarks at work (A couple of people had suspected I had surgery )
and one fool even tried to embarrass me.
Unfortunately the place I worked at was extremely cliquey and judgmental.
But I've left that job now, those people mean nothing to me at all.

I hear you on the woman front. Even though i have a gf, what I can tell you from my experience is that
people that you didn't get along with before... you still won't get along with them after. Smiley
usnom
MMT Member

Credibility 19

« Reply #170 on: August 19, 2013, 11:54:16 AM »

Great update,

So doing the surgery over again you would not?? Would you have changed your mind if you had done internals?

Are you getting your rods out in china?

So being short to average height has not changed you at all? You are just worried what the long term complications are to your body?
balzakin
LL Patient
MMT Member

Credibility 13

« Reply #171 on: August 19, 2013, 03:25:59 PM »

Its really hard to answer if i would do the surgery over again or not until I have finished the whole process. I would certainly not do another one.
It requires alot of effort, time, pain, planning money, patience and hard work. It is a cosmetic surgery but it comes with more risks than most.

I would say that anyone thinking about it would need to spend atleast six months doing research and coming to a decision.
I think the above applies whether if it is internals or not.

The surgery has changed me in that I dont worry about height anymore. I certainly have no desire to be taller. I also find that I
dont take things for granted that I used to. I take pleasure in simple things like walking and breathing fresh air. And yes i am concerned with long term complications, especially as I get older. I would not recommend to do this surgery past 45 as your ability to recover declines. The younger the better.

If you are going to have this surgery with Dr Xia/Phung, it is best to have the rods removed by them as they are specific to that hospital.
Padfreak101
MMT Member

Credibility 4

« Reply #172 on: September 24, 2013, 10:54:10 AM »

how are you feeling mate ? hope the recovery is going ok for you ... btw do u know any good ortho docs i can see after i do this surgery in aus ? or physios ?
balzakin
LL Patient
MMT Member

Credibility 13

« Reply #173 on: September 24, 2013, 01:01:17 PM »

feeling ok Padfreak. My current state is as follows:

The pain situation is improving, albeit slowly. I am walking totally normally but it is a little uncomfortable
with rods in. Just recently I've felt a little burning around the knee screws but that subsides after a little rest.
I take mild painkillers every few days or so when I need to.

A couple of points from Deus Ex diary. I don't have hypertrophy in my calve muscles. My thigh muscles havn't
fully recovered to what they were, but they were quite big. Scarring for me is minimal. Caucasians seem to have
a better deal in this regard I think. I saw a couple of the asian patients and the scars didn't look so good just after
the surgery (not being racist).

I'm hoping to get the rod out by March and just get on with my life. Its been a painful and expensive ride. Today I went
for a walk in the city. Never take for granted the gift of walking is all I can say. I'm still walking everyday, usually just down
to my local park. something counter intuitive I've noticed is that sometimes I will have pain in my legs when laying on the couch,
If I go for a walk, the pain will usually go away.

My focus lately has been to increase my overall health with a good diet and some weigh resistance. I did try some light jogging a couple of
times but actually I think its not worth the risk while the rods are in, so I've stopped that.

Its been a year now, I've dedicated all my energy to getting taller. Would I do it again if I had the choice. I would say probably not.
Its not that I regret my decision, its just that I'd probably put my efforts into something else. I really don't care about height any more,
but maybe that's because I have cured my neurosis about it.

Where I live there is a local primary school. Some of those kids are even taller than me still! Now I just shrug and think *whatever*, it really
doesn't bother me now. I feel like I've earned my height and this is the tallest I could or want to be. But I don't think it was ever about being
the absolute tallest. When I see other short people, I never think they are less capable in any way, so I don't know why
I thought that of myself. Until next time, over and out..

OneSevenOne
MMT Contributor

Credibility 19

« Reply #174 on: September 24, 2013, 04:45:28 PM »

feeling ok Padfreak. My current state is as follows:

The pain situation is improving, albeit slowly. I am walking totally normally but it is a little uncomfortable
with rods in. Just recently I've felt a little burning around the knee screws but that subsides after a little rest.
I take mild painkillers every few days or so when I need to.

A couple of points from Deus Ex diary. I don't have hypertrophy in my calve muscles. My thigh muscles havn't
fully recovered to what they were, but they were quite big. Scarring for me is minimal. Caucasians seem to have
a better deal in this regard I think. I saw a couple of the asian patients and the scars didn't look so good just after
the surgery (not being racist).

I'm hoping to get the rod out by March and just get on with my life. Its been a painful and expensive ride. Today I went
for a walk in the city. Never take for granted the gift of walking is all I can say. I'm still walking everyday, usually just down
to my local park. something counter intuitive I've noticed is that sometimes I will have pain in my legs when laying on the couch,
If I go for a walk, the pain will usually go away.

My focus lately has been to increase my overall health with a good diet and some weigh resistance. I did try some light jogging a couple of
times but actually I think its not worth the risk while the rods are in, so I've stopped that.

Its been a year now, I've dedicated all my energy to getting taller. Would I do it again if I had the choice. I would say probably not.
Its not that I regret my decision, its just that I'd probably put my efforts into something else. I really don't care about height any more,
but maybe that's because I have cured my neurosis about it.

Where I live there is a local primary school. Some of those kids are even taller than me still! Now I just shrug and think *whatever*, it really
doesn't bother me now. I feel like I've earned my height and this is the tallest I could or want to be. But I don't think it was ever about being
the absolute tallest. When I see other short people, I never think they are less capable in any way, so I don't know why
I thought that of myself. Until next time, over and out..

Hey,

Great to see you back.

Two things:

1.  What was your total costs?

2.  There are seriously kids in primary school near you over 5'10?

All the best,

"The future doesn’t belong to the fainthearted; it belongs to the brave."

Ronald Reagan
balzakin
LL Patient
MMT Member

Credibility 13

« Reply #175 on: September 25, 2013, 03:10:13 PM »

I havn't kept an accurate accounting of my costs. I don't even want to think about it. You also
have to factor in time away from work etc. And I still have to get the rods removed. Having said that
I would be wary of going too cheap. This is your health we are talking about here, if something happens,
it can cost you more in the long run.

Yes there are primary students here who can get over 5'10", mostly girls who have had an earlier growth spurt but
don't grow more after that.
chandlercrossings
Lurker

Credibility 0

« Reply #176 on: September 26, 2013, 05:25:33 AM »

Balzakin, thank you for taking the time to write this diary and continuing to update us during your recovery.  You seem like a really down to earth guy, I wish you the best of luck and please let us know when you are fully recovered!
jmoney
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« Reply #177 on: August 05, 2015, 02:09:59 PM »

Thanks for the diary, it's always good to read on how patients are doing after going through this journey.  I'm currently in Volgograd with Dr.  Barinov and, hopefully, will be finished soon. 
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Make Me Taller! The world's number one elective leg lengthening site! Come here for information about LL, things to make you taller, how to get taller permanently, Ilizarov, Betzbone, Guichet Nail, PRECICE, height growth and other height related issues. This is the number one leg lengthening forum for height seekers and people trying to become taller. It was created and run by people who have actually done leg lengthening surgery (LL).

As a community site, MMT forum thrives on people's contributions, so please feel free to share your make me taller questions, videos, photos and experiences here in this leg lengthening forum. Make me taller is open to all, but please read the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) before posting as this will answer nearly all of your questions about getting taller through surgery. Please read our leg lengthening diaries too! We hope that you find this forum useful. Cheers, SysOp.