MMT Community
June 22, 2017, 06:35:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Support MMT Community
News: Words of wisdom from SysOp:
"Height is like money. It is insignificant only to those who have plenty of it." Tongue

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Josh - Unilateral Internal Femur - Dr. Mahboubian - 2012 - Precice Correction of Leg Length Discrepancy  (Read 13316 times)
6ftby2014
MMT Expert

Credibility 38

Current height 171.5cm (5'7.5")

« on: October 24, 2012, 04:46:51 PM »

Josh is a former patient of Dr.M that lengthened to correct a discrepancy with the Precise Nail.

" Whatever you want, you shall have. Whatever you search for, you shall find ".
Josh
n00b

Credibility 2

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 05:18:45 PM »

Thanx 6ftby2014 for the help starting my blog!

My name is Josh.  I have under taken the task of growing one leg longer to fix a leg length discrepancy.  I was blessed with the genetically predetermined height of 6’ 2” but at the young age of 23 my love for skateboarding changed this.  In the summer of 2006 I broke my Lt femur resulting in the first of three surgeries needed to correct this fracture.  For some reason or another, my fracture was slow to heal and a procedure known as dynamization was done to promote repair.  This procedure removed the hardware/screw from the hip end of the rod in my femur allowing more motion at the fracture site with hopes it would stimulate bone formation.  It did not heal and was later classified as a non-union.  The only way to fix this was to exchange the rod and remove the scar tissue at the fracture site.  This was done in Jan of 2007 some 6 months after the initial injury.  The time between these surgeries I was in a wheelchair, on crutches or using a cane with pain.  These 6 months resulted in bone loss and by the time I was healed, 4 plus months later, I was 27mm or just over an inch shorter on my left leg.  I have unsuccessfully used a shoe lift and later invested in a great “shoe guy” to alter all left shoes/foot wear.  I have followed the bone lengthening devices and procedures over the years and was happy when in the fall of 2011 the precise implant was given FDA approval.  As most of you know the cost of bone lengthening is not small but regardless of the individual's reasons it is a huge impact on that person's quality of life.  For this reason I decided to embark on this journey to reclaim 27mm and sad but happy to say get rid of my “shoe guy”.
I had planned to go to New York to get the procedure done but decided to check out the only local surgeon with the correct credentials and furthermore the only credentials I trusted.  I scheduled my appointment with Dr.  Mahboubian and after that decided he was the guy I would let break my leg.
On Aug 16 2012 it was done.  The old IM rod was removed and the new Precise rod was installed, all at once! I spent one night in the hospital and returned home to sleep for a super long time.  Haha but seriously I was so excited to start this journey that I didn't sleep the night after my surgery and therefore was kinda tired.  I had my follow up appointment 8-24-12 and begun my lengthening at . 75mm/day.  All that followed was good and it brought back memories of the past.  Mainly thoughts like “I remember this being way more pain the first two times” and “These new scars are so small, how was this accomplished.   On 9-14-12 I had my 3 wk follow up and started my last 11mm of growth at 1mm/day.  September 25th 2012 was my last day of growing and first day of consolidation.  Hurray! I returned for my 6wk post op/2wk consolidation visit to see the progress and confirm the final product, 6’ 2” on both legs!! Just like all other visits this one was smooth and I was told to "lose the crutches".  That day I DID.  
Next week will be 1 month of consolidation and I am walking on the beach, showering, riding my bicycle, cooking, dating and other stuff like new.
I know this is not “your” journey but it actually is and so I wanted to share my story.  
I have participated in x-treme sports from skateboarding, snowboarding and BMX resulting in many injuries and orthopedic doctors with numerous x-rays.  
I also wanted to add that in my professional life I have been taking x-rays since 2003 and from 2007-2009 I held the position of Director of Orthopedic Research for the Fort Wayne Indiana Medical Society.  Through these positions I have met many surgeons, orthopedic and others and have not met one that takes as much pride in their work as my third “femur” orthopedic surgeon, Dr.  Shahab Mahboubian DO MPH.
He did not know about any of these professional credentials before or during my time under his care.  
My images can be found on his facebook page, with links posted from his twitter account as I gave him permission to post them.  I don't have facebook or twitter but took pic’s of xrays with my phone and will load when I can.  Until then the links to them are:

9-27-12
www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.416729811723513.99086.309247972471698&type=3

8-24-12
www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.403791699683991.95108.309247972471698&type=3
Tall
LL Hero
MMT Expert

Credibility 375

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 05:57:19 PM »

Great story Josh! Congrats on the quick recovery!

6ftby2014
MMT Expert

Credibility 38

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 06:03:28 PM »

Excellent story Josh. While your journey has been relatively short  (2.7cm verses an average goal of 6.5cm for most on this forum) your insight in very valuable and we welcome anything new on the Precise system. A very short 7 months ago, the Precise was looked down upon for its' limitations but now with stories like yours and others ( TAll, Kikau, Lw) we are beginning to see the incredible prospects of this system. I look forward to starting my own journey in March and can hardly wait ( I actually had a dream about it last night.... hahahaha).

Josh
n00b

Credibility 2

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 06:28:47 PM »

I understand my deformity correction will probably be the smallest desired length on this site and when I started I didn't think I was going to post but I felt the need.  I have much empathy for those that actually stretch past anatomical barriers and wish all nothing but success.  This device does have its limitations but I believe its benefits were worth the wait.  I can't imagine cranking my leg mm by mm, pushing a pin underneath the skin or dealing with an ex-fix, as I have dealt with one of these for a tibia fracture, but like the saying about skinning the cat.  It is all preference and the individual's end goal with what is available at that time.  Plus the magnetic lengthening is cool!
kusop
MMT Contributor

Credibility -131

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 06:34:51 PM »

Josh wonderful!

i have a question, did you use any kind of bone growth simulator? FORTEO, EXOGEN, Stem Cell etc?
6ftby2014
MMT Expert

Credibility 38

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 06:39:03 PM »

I understand my deformity correction will probably be the smallest desired length on this site and when I started I didn't think I was going to post but I felt the need.  I have much empathy for those that actually stretch past anatomical barriers and wish all nothing but success.  This device does have its limitations but I believe its benefits were worth the wait.  I can't imagine cranking my leg mm by mm, pushing a pin underneath the skin or dealing with an ex-fix, as I have dealt with one of these for a tibia fracture, but like the saying about skinning the cat.  It is all preference and the individual's end goal with what is available at that time.  Plus the magnetic lengthening is cool!
I hope to have the privileges of posting pictures soon.  Sorry again for the hassle of the links.

I gave you your first credibility point for your valuable story. I believe that the benefits of the Precise outweigh its' disadvantages as well but not everyone will be able to afford it financially or be willing to be in a chair for 4 months.

I wish you all the success you can achieve man..... thanks for sharing.

BTW how is the aesthetic difference between your lengthened leg and your other non lengthened leg?

Europa
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2012, 06:44:18 PM »

Great, now you can go back skateboarding to break your legs again.

Jokes aside, you're right about this diary not being our "typical" journey around here, as you're already at a height that -let's be honest- a lot of people here can only dream of (for now). Whilst being informative, the fact that you looked over the internet to end up here is quite interesting, as it's mostly a forum about treating heightism and we don't see a lot of accidental procedures. I guess you really had to share your story.
Josh
n00b

Credibility 2

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2012, 06:57:35 PM »

Yes I used Exogen 4000+.  A device I have used for multiple other fractures, clavicle, elbow wrist, tibia, and including my initial femur fx before it was a non-union and through its healing.  I believe the non-union was due to to much of a gap and initial movement resulting in scar farmation instead of bone.  If the wrong diameter rod is used it will not provide the stabilization and proximity of fracture ends needed.  No doctor will speculate about this in-regards to my situation, at least on record, but it accounts for what happened.  I have the two previous rods and the diameter increased on the second one that resulted in full union.

Yes exogen!

Also kusop aesthetic wise my lengthened leg has scars but the new ones are so small and fail in comparison to others I have from previous surgeries for initial femur repairs in addition too a tibial plateau and shaft fracture.
Transformer
MMT Contributor

Credibility 9

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2012, 07:47:19 PM »

Hey Josh,

Its great to hear your story and about your unfortunate skateboarding accident. But I don't see how its relevant to do a diary/blog (which ever you would like to call it). We might as well get everyone with a fractured bone or a couple cm discrepancy to do a diary on here because it will contribute tremendously to this forum and the whole purpose of this forum. I know this might not come off as right to some, but I can't help to see this as anything other than advertisement for the PRECISE and Dr M. Don't get me wrong, Dr M is great doctor from what I hear but to get diaries steming from fractured/ minor discrepancies, I don't see how the short stature members on here can relate to this in any way. Thanks 6ftby2014 for pushing the nail but lets get real, you have Josh on here naturally at 6'2" which the majority of members on here can only dream of. If blogs/diaries like these are okay, then we would have hundreds of diaries on here from BMX bikes or what not, unrelated to the whole purpose of why this forum was created in the first place (short stature people doing LL to get taller). Sorry but most on here can relate much more to 6'2" Apotheosis and his journey to reach that height than a 6'2" with a skateboarding accident.

All the best
6ftby2014
MMT Expert

Credibility 38

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2012, 08:09:56 PM »

Hey Josh,

Its great to hear your story and about your unfortunate skateboarding accident. But I don't see how its relevant to do a diary/blog (which ever you would like to call it). We might as well get everyone with a fractured bone or a couple cm discrepancy to do a diary on here because it will contribute tremendously to this forum and the whole purpose of this forum. I know this might not come off as right to some, but I can't help to see this as anything other than advertisement for the PRECISE and Dr M. Don't get me wrong, Dr M is great doctor from what I hear but to get diaries steming from fractured/ minor discrepancies, I don't see how the short stature members on here can relate to this in any way. Thanks 6ftby2014 for pushing the nail but lets get real, you have Josh on here naturally at 6'2" which the majority of members on here can only dream of. If blogs/diaries like these are okay, then we would have hundreds of diaries on here from BMX bikes or what not, unrelated to the whole purpose of why this forum was created in the first place (short stature people doing LL to get taller). Sorry but most on here can relate much more to 6'2" Apotheosis and his journey to reach that height than a 6'2" with a skateboarding accident.

All the best

The merits of Josh's story is obvious and it is not to be an infomercial for Dr.M or the Precise nail. A few short months ago, the Precise nail was lambasted and I was personally almost crucified on this site numerous times for even stating that this nail has merit ( read the thread "Why is weight bearing important):

http://www.makemetaller.org/index.php/topic,4696.0.html

Now with diaries like Tall, Kikau, LWDC and more to come, the Precise nail is seen for its' obvious merit and is a real alternative to external, the next generations of the Albizzia, etc. (they all have merit and will serve their purpose individually). I do not intend to "push" this nail as I have no ties to it and receive nothing at all. Everyone should do their own homework and decide for themselves. Dryani, CoolguySam, and many others have had excellent results with Sarin. Goodfootballer and many others have had great success with Dr. Salemah. Alex has had great success with Dr.M with LATN. Apotheosis, Tall and many others have had great success with Dr. Betz. Need I go on? This forum does an excellent job of presenting the merits and flaws of every method and doctor performing LL. It also points to the preparation and work that the patient himself needs to put in to make the operation as successful as possible.

I have been around this stuff for quite a while now. I know intimately each method and its' merits and flaws. I have spoken with many doctors and they have given me correspondence with their former patients ( I have had many phone conversations with former patients) and this information is invaluable when making objective decisions in such a serious endeavor. This knowledge base has come from extensive research from every angle and leaving no piece of information off the table so to speak.

Josh's story tells a great story of triumph from a guy who went through a lot of failure before finding the method and doctor that ultimately changed his life forever. Read his story again and these things shall become clearer. Dr. M was able to quickly and rather easily put Josh back to normal where other methods had failed. He researched many doctors and methods before trying the Precise. This is not about his height, it is about the benefits, ease of use and almost non existant  scarring of him being made whole again. Anyone who is deciding which method to use will learn from Josh and that is what this forum is all about.

Europa
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2012, 08:31:53 PM »

This is not about his height, it is about the benefits, ease of use and almost non existant  scarring of him being made whole again. Anyone who is deciding which method to use will learn from Josh and that is what this forum is all about.

I do agree with your sayings, and maybe Transformer is pushing it a bit. But this forum is called Make me taller and not Give me my height back for a reason.
Transformer
MMT Contributor

Credibility 9

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2012, 08:35:56 PM »

Sorry buddy but I think you got wrong. This forum is not so much about which method you use and much more about short stature people, their struggles in life, discrimantion they faced, oppertunities they were passed up by because not being taken serious due to their height, their struggles and the stories itself. Thats what makes the stories on here rich and members can relate to one another. But if your gonna bring someone who fell off his skateboard, fractured his bone which caused 2cm discrepancy, standing at 6'2" and think members on here can relate to him? Your mistaken. Heck if thats the case, I'm sure we can have countless diaries from our approved doctors list patients that had nothing to do with short stature. Just people with broken bones and their stories. Who cares about short stature people and their stories. Lets open it up to every broken bone out there.

Good luck on your journey to becoming taller, Josh.
SysOp
Forum Admin / Moderator
Administrator
MMT Expert

Credibility 712

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2012, 08:36:36 PM »

If blogs/diaries like these are okay, then we would have hundreds of diaries on here from BMX bikes or what not, unrelated to the whole purpose of why this forum was created in the first place (short stature people doing LL to get taller). Sorry but most on here can relate much more to 6'2" Apotheosis and his journey to reach that height than a 6'2" with a skateboarding accident.

Transformer, there is a section of this site dedicated to Leg Correction Surgery. This diary has been moved to that section as it is the correct place for it.
leonard
MMT Contributor

Credibility 18

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2012, 08:42:32 PM »

So what? Surgeries are similar. Nail is the same. Why shouldn't Josh be allowed to post his story here? WTF?? It IS relevant and like myself most posters agree. Is it the same as height increase? No it's not. But the whole LL procedure was not invented to make folks taller in the first place...

Josh felt the need to share his story and that is only positive and others will benefit. Advertisement for Precise and Dr.M ... Man oh man. Some of you folks really think everything is about competition...Sad. Just sad. You are not interested in Josh's story?? Don't read it! Problem solved. How childish it is to deny somebody the right to post here just because this forum is called "make me taller". What are you? In preschool?
Josh
n00b

Credibility 2

« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2012, 08:46:27 PM »

Thanx 6ftby2014
The reason I wanted to share my story is exactly what you wrote.  I paid the same price for a device for same purpose of gaining height.  It may be small and seem petty to some but height all the same.  
I am not sure if it was clear but during my initial fracture rapairs I was in a wheel chair for 4 of the 10+ months I was non ambulatory and another 4+ using crutches.  Then to a cane.  I have rehabbed my leg three times after surgery, regaining range of motion and strength.  I have had it taken away a total of three times, one more time then I have legs.  I own a wheelchair, crutches, bedside commode and have shopped and cared for myself in a disabled state.  I have endured pain not only in my legs but walking on uneven legs messes with your back.  I put off procedures because I did not believe in the devices, the state of knowledge nor have the money for a procedure until now.  I know it is not the exact same and yes I was blessed with height.  I am not debating that.  I am hear to show support and provide information if asked.  I also live in the LA area and have space and/or know of space available for those that may want to be out here.  I have no ideals of monetary gains or wish to flaunt my height.  Just good old fashion camaraderie and willing to help others in any way possible.
I also have had the misfortune of meeting and being under the care of many doctors.  I simply expressed my happiness and sort of a review for those that may want it.
6ftby2014
MMT Expert

Credibility 38

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2012, 08:58:57 PM »

Thanx 6ftby2014
The reason I wanted to share my story is exactly what you wrote.  I paid the same price for a device for same purpose of gaining height.  It may be small and seem petty to some but height all the same.  
I am not sure if it was clear but during my initial fracture rapairs I was in a wheel chair for 4 of the 10+ months I was non ambulatory and another 4+ using crutches.  Then to a cane.  I have rehabbed my leg three times after surgery, regaining range of motion and strength.  I have had it taken away a total of three times, one more time then I have legs.  I own a wheelchair, crutches, bedside commode and have shopped and cared for myself in a disabled state.  I have endured pain not only in my legs but walking on uneven legs messes with your back.  I put off procedures because I did not believe in the devices, the state of knowledge nor have the money for a procedure until now.  I know it is not the exact same and yes I was blessed with height.  I am not debating that.  I am hear to show support and provide information if asked.  I also live in the LA area and have space and/or know of space available for those that may want to be out here.  I have no ideals of monetary gains or wish to flaunt my height.  Just good old fashion camaraderie and willing to help others in any way possible.
I also have had the misfortune of meeting and being under the care of many doctors.  I simply expressed my happiness and sort of a review for those that may want it.

Most of us welcome you and your knowledge and insight. maybe we can have coffee some time when I go to Dr. M for my bilateral procedure.

Dookieman
Certified Member
MMT Expert

Credibility 41

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2012, 10:05:50 PM »

Josh- Great information. Thanks for sharing!

171.5cm
Europa
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2012, 01:42:59 AM »

You are not interested in Josh's story?? Don't read it! Problem solved. How childish it is to deny somebody the right to post here just because this forum is called "make me taller". What are you? In preschool?

Your first sentence isn't an argument by any means but just poor logic. You seem to have jumped into the bandwagon without reading the whole thing, and mixed up writings. Transformer isn't denying josh to post here and nor am I, but just pondering how related is it to the purpose of this forum.

Now that Sysop has moved the diary to an appropriate section I don't think there's any further argumentation needed. But please next time refrain from posting after drawing quick conclusions.
Josh
n00b

Credibility 2

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2012, 09:43:10 AM »

6ftby2014 I would be happy to share a drink and a friendly chat.  Let me know when you are in the area.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Make Me Taller! The world's number one elective leg lengthening site! Come here for information about LL, things to make you taller, how to get taller permanently, Ilizarov, Betzbone, Guichet Nail, PRECICE, height growth and other height related issues. This is the number one leg lengthening forum for height seekers and people trying to become taller. It was created and run by people who have actually done leg lengthening surgery (LL).

As a community site, MMT forum thrives on people's contributions, so please feel free to share your make me taller questions, videos, photos and experiences here in this leg lengthening forum. Make me taller is open to all, but please read the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) before posting as this will answer nearly all of your questions about getting taller through surgery. Please read our leg lengthening diaries too! We hope that you find this forum useful. Cheers, SysOp.