MMT Community
May 22, 2017, 05:43:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Support MMT Community
News: Words of wisdom from SysOp:
"Height is like money. It is insignificant only to those who have plenty of it." Tongue

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  

The Make Me Taller (MMT) community forum provides free information about the only REAL way to become taller - elective leg lengthening (LL) surgery. This site contains detailed information, pictures, videos, diaries and personal accounts from people who have undergone cosmetic LL to become taller. We discuss the pros and cons of Ilizarov, Betzbone, Guichet Nail, PRECICE and other methods. Please read our FAQs first before posting and enjoy your time here finding out how to become taller! Leg Lengthening is a serious endeavor, so do your research! You can also buy MMT's new book about LL called 'Inchworm' at Amazon!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why Torso Length Doesn't Matter, But Arm Length Does  (Read 96539 times)
SysOp
Forum Admin / Moderator
Administrator
MMT Expert

Credibility 712

« on: November 14, 2012, 04:00:30 PM »

Two television hosts in the United States have the same sitting height ("from the tip of their tailbone to the top of their heads...They’re both 36 inches"). One is 6' 5" (195.5 CM) and the other is 5' 3" (160 CM). His torso is clearly wider, and his head is bigger, but ultimately what separates their height? Leg length. I hope this puts to rest once and for all the ongoing nonsense about sitting height and torso length. Your wingspan is really the only thing that limits how far you can lengthen, and I think we will start to see more people doing cosmetic arm lengthening after they have lengthened both sections of their legs. I predict we will have our first cosmetic AL diary on this site in the next year.

http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/tv/size_matters_pTOs5Bnv015ODKhYLSNhvN

BtzLandLiberator
MMT Member

Credibility 8

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 04:42:51 PM »

Actually, I think the torso width matters more than both torso height and arm length.  

During my months in Germany I saw some patients with enough arm length for their height increase that looked a little "odd" anyway because their torso wasn't wide enough.  On the other hand, patients with wider torso and broad shoulders would normally look fine, even with slightly shorter arm span.  By the way, that applies more to male patients than to female ones.  

The torso height is only a problem if the difference is REALLY great.  I remember only one case of that: there was a kid that did both tibias and femurs and in the end he was considerably taller than Dr.  Betz - but when sitting he was considerably shorter than Dr.  Betz.  That was VERY weird.  But it was a rare case in my opinion.  

around7
LL Patient
MMT Contributor

Credibility 16

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 05:00:34 PM »

The problem of two LL is for sure the arm length. Very short arms look a little strange, I saw some patients with this problem. But in the end, I prefer to be taller with short arms, tham short with normal arms... Smiley
However, short arms are not strange enough for an AL surgery, this is my opnion...
AsTallAsWomen
MMT Adviser

Credibility -137

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 05:46:48 PM »

so they have the same torso length, it is all tin the leg?

so, given that we could do AL on her and her wingspan to height is perfect match, could we make her 6" taller in the legs, and 2" taller tin arms and she would look correct with 10cm taller than wingspan?

Yes I would LOVE to see a cAL case, I have a choice of 10 cm or 15 cm depending on how well AL works out in patients.

sysop have you not heard of one AL case form your knowledge, like in china or something, surely some guy did 6" and then did AL.

also I cannot imagine someone doing 4" LL then doing 2" AL, the chances of your proportions being -5cm wingspan to begin with are pretty low.

Height         = 164 cm (5' 4.5")
Wingspan     = 167 cm

UK Caucasian Male.
Avg. Male height in region 5' 9.5"
Avg. Female Height in region 5' 4.5"
lanquesnet
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 06:05:44 PM »

Impressive!
SysOp
Forum Admin / Moderator
Administrator
MMT Expert

Credibility 712

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 07:21:25 PM »

sysop have you not heard of one AL case form your knowledge, like in china or something, surely some guy did 6" and then did AL.

I know many doctors who have performed arm lengthening. I do not know of any who have done cosmetic arm lengthening on both arms of a patient.
kusop
MMT Contributor

Credibility -131

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 07:30:04 PM »

screw proportion guys, lets discuss more important matters:
would you do her?
i certainly would  Shocked
AsTallAsWomen
MMT Adviser

Credibility -137

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 07:37:51 PM »

screw proportion guys, lets discuss more important matters:
would you do her?
i certainly would  Shocked

holy shi* yes.

I know many doctors who have performed arm lengthening. I do not know of any who have done cosmetic arm lengthening on both arms of a patient.

really? but that is so odd, so i guess every LL'er just lengthens a maximum of 10cm taller than wingspan, and doesn't do any more due to arm length ?

question, is medical LL the same as cosmetic , just that is done in one leg instead of two, reducing pain etc. with this in mind maybe cAL is an easier thing to do than cLL since it is the same as mAL.

Wingspan     = 167 cm

UK Caucasian Male.
NBW
MMT Contributor

Credibility 8

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 09:15:32 PM »

The title of the thread says it all. When I'm in the gym, sitting on the bench resting, I'd compare my sitting height with people much taller than me that are sitting next to me. My sitting height is about the same. One of my friends is a bit taller than me, but when we both sat down next to each other, I felt like I was looking down on him while talking to him. That goes to show his legs are longer and my legs are short.

Height:
Morning - 162cm
Night - 160cm
Wingspan: 167cm
NBW
MMT Contributor

Credibility 8

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2012, 09:18:53 PM »

I think this might be useful

Height:
Morning - 162cm
Night - 160cm
Wingspan: 167cm
Fiveeight
MMT Member

Credibility 3

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2012, 09:19:21 PM »

So the top of the tail bone would be right about your butt crack? Seriously? if this is true, I'm just under 32 inches at 5'8. And she's 5'3 at 36 inches??? Sounds strange!
leonard
MMT Contributor

Credibility 18

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2012, 09:22:22 PM »

Wingspan matters folks. There is no point in denying it. Wingspan 15 cm below height will look odd to a certain extent. To go 10-11 cm above wingspan is really max in my opinion without considering arm lengthening

Leonard

AsTallAsWomen
MMT Adviser

Credibility -137

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2012, 09:32:50 PM »

not sure, when I add 14cm to myself I am 11cm taller than wingspan, but I don't look as acceptable as apotheosis who has the same stats, could be some of that wingspan is in broad shoulders.

same with craig, people have said before he looks fine but is at the maximum, for him, he is 7cm off wingspan.

I would say 5-7cm if you are of regular build, 11cm if you have big build, but it's - IMO- safer to accept that LL is a way to improve yourself and accept what it can do, and if your only 5 8 after LL then and you are at 7cm deviation with regular build, then you might just have to accept that.

Wingspan     = 167 cm

UK Caucasian Male.
lanquesnet
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2012, 09:39:15 PM »

@ nicebutwise: This pic is so telling about proportions! Where's it from ?
AsTallAsWomen
MMT Adviser

Credibility -137

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2012, 09:44:30 PM »

yeah great pic.

just goes to show we can get 2x LL 6" and get AL and everything should be fine

look at the 5 5 guy vs the 6 0 guy, torso is just the same, assuming he does 6" LL, that puts him at 5 11, and then 2" AL will fix his short arms.

Wingspan     = 167 cm

UK Caucasian Male.
RDenmark
MMT Contributor

Credibility 5

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2012, 09:54:52 PM »

Look at the difference in proportions between them  Wink
Quixotic
MMT Adviser

Credibility 24

It's expensive, staying human.

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2012, 10:28:03 PM »

The range of 'normal' torso/leg ratios is broad, however the range of ratios which will most likely be referred to as aesthetically 'ideal' is not as broad.  Those who don't care about aesthetics can in most cases disregard torso/leg ratio.  If they want to look very good after ll then they will have to take it into account.  It's another factor just like arm length.

Current height: 176.5cm
Sitting height: 93.25cm

Target height: 181.5cm
elvergalarga
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2012, 10:39:09 PM »

long legs definitely gives the height of the body, but the torso is the torso, in the picture where they are almost all body somatotypes, (the tall, leggy half-torso, the man long jump of 6 long legs torso-short, the fighter from 5. 5 inches long with a torso that is 6) but not to lose the proportion there, a person will always be that short torso with short torso, the article mentions it all, the presenter has a long torso for your height, it can be operated easily by 15 ctms legs, but the high rate of 6. 5 can not stretch my legs, and it would look ridiculous.
Stadiometer
MMT Member

Credibility 83

Esquire "Esq."

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2012, 12:00:28 AM »

Actually, I think the torso width matters more than both torso height and arm length.  

During my months in Germany I saw some patients with enough arm length for their height increase that looked a little "odd" anyway because their torso wasn't wide enough.  On the other hand, patients with wider torso and broad shoulders would normally look fine, even with slightly shorter arm span.  By the way, that applies more to male patients than to female ones.  

Excellent observation.  An athletic build with broad shoulders always looks better after leg lengthening.  In my opinion too narrow of a torso stands out much more than a wingspan to height discrepancy.   

U.S.A. Vital and Health Statistics (October 2012)
http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/series/sr_11/sr11_252.pdf

U.S.A. Male
163.6(cm)05% 171.2(cm)25% 176.3(cm)50%  
181.7(cm)75% 185.8(cm)90% 188.3(cm)95%

U.S.A. Female
152.0(cm)05% 158.1(cm)25% 162.9(cm)50%
167.6(cm)75% 171.8(cm)90% 175.1(cm)95%
Transformer
MMT Contributor

Credibility 9

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2012, 01:43:26 AM »

This is not a good comparison on torsos. African-Americans are known to have really short torsos and long legs, while caucasians tend to have longer torsos in comparison. If they were of the same race with same size torsos. I do agree however, one shouldn't dwell too much on torso size and it's not as important as the wingspan.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Make Me Taller! The world's number one elective leg lengthening site! Come here for information about LL, things to make you taller, how to get taller permanently, Ilizarov, Betzbone, Guichet Nail, PRECICE, height growth and other height related issues. This is the number one leg lengthening forum for height seekers and people trying to become taller. It was created and run by people who have actually done leg lengthening surgery (LL).

As a community site, MMT forum thrives on people's contributions, so please feel free to share your make me taller questions, videos, photos and experiences here in this leg lengthening forum. Make me taller is open to all, but please read the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) before posting as this will answer nearly all of your questions about getting taller through surgery. Please read our leg lengthening diaries too! We hope that you find this forum useful. Cheers, SysOp.