MMT Community
January 21, 2019, 06:10:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Words of wisdom from sna78:
"Pain is temporary, height is forever!"

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nanog - Internal Femurs - Dr. Mahboubian - 2013 - Growing Taller With PRECICE  (Read 21834 times)
SysOp
Forum Admin / Moderator
Administrator
MMT Expert

Credibility 712

« on: February 07, 2013, 12:36:19 AM »

Nanog has asked me to start a diary for him for his internal femur lengthening journey with Dr. M. Congrats on a successful surgery. Smiley
Tall
LL Hero
MMT Expert

Credibility 375

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 01:49:30 AM »

Welcome Nanog! When is your surgery?

nanog
MMT Member

Credibility 2

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 04:58:29 AM »

Hi guys, thanks very much for the welcome.  Today is actually post-op day 6 for me and day #1 of lengthening.  I was too exhausted to start this diary earlier.  Hereís some background for my story: Iím a 31 year old male about 5í5Ē and Iíve always wished I were just an inch or two taller so I could be average height and just feel normal.  Iíve known about LL for several years and did a lot of research on Dr.  Betz.  However, it wasnít until I heard about the PRECICE that I decided to really pursue LL.  I wasnít interested in the external methods because they just seemed too painful.  With Dr.  Betz, the clicking aspect really scared me and I never had a long enough period of free time to be able to stay in Germany for so long.  With the PRECICE, it seemed like a much better option once I found out about it.  I considered getting a consult with Dr.  Paley, but Florida would have been too far and much more expensive and inconvenient.  Dr.  Mahboubian is experienced and much closer and this way I could stay at home during the entire process, which was important to me.  I had my consult with Dr.  M in Dec 2012 and my surgery was done on 1/31.  I decided to do bilateral femurs because I wanted to get it over with at the same time.  Also, because femurs seem to be a little more straightforward and consolidate faster than tibias, that was another reason for me.  After the surgery, I went home the next day on Friday in a wheelchair.  Dr.  M had me start lengthening on post-op day 6.  Our plan is to do 0. 33mm three times a day for 1mm daily.  My goal is to actually stop at 5cm because I would be very happy and satisfied with 2 inches.  For me, that would be enough.  Using the magnet does not hurt, but afterwards I do feel some tightness in my thighs.  The most surprising aspect of this process has been the tightness and stiffness I feel in my thighs and over my knees.  It feels like a constricting pressure, not so much sharp stabbing pain.  I try to do stretches with a band during the day while Iím in the wheelchair and I try extending my legs when I can, but it is very difficult right now.  The swelling has improved since the surgery, but some is still there.  I feel like my ROM is very limited right now and I will definitely need to start PT soon.  Sleeping at night has been very difficult this first week.  My legs feel heavy and uncomfortable, though itís not a sharp pain or anything like that keeping me up.  I take Norco at night before I try to sleep and have been using Tylenol during the day since post-op day 4.  Narcotics make me feel worse and I try to avoid them when I can, if I can tolerate it.  My first post-op check is Friday with Dr.  M and I will see what he says about how things are going and provide an update.  Thanks again for the support. 
Sweden
Current recovery level: 82% and improving.
LL Veteran
MMT Expert

Credibility 304

LL Fighter, prophet, expert, adviser, hero, LEGEND

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 05:49:46 AM »

Great that you found a way that works for you.

Just want to know: doesn't the femur consolidate faster than 1mm/day?

Dr Sarins patients have to lengthen at 2-2.5mm/day or else the femur will consolidate. It's with the external very painful monorail.

Starting height 173cm, now confirmed 180cm. Had surgery in India January 8 -13. Did ~7cm on tibia. Frame removal: 16 April -13. 180cm wingspan. Shrunk to 179cm as my final height. Considering femurs.
Padfreak101
MMT Member

Credibility 4

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 07:39:51 AM »

congrats  buddy hope everything goes alright for you Smiley im already curious to see how fast u'll recovery only doing 5 cm with precice 

just outa curiosity your doing femur arnt you a little tempted to just go for 6 or even 6.5 ?
SysOp
Forum Admin / Moderator
Administrator
MMT Expert

Credibility 712

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 10:40:18 AM »

Just want to know: doesn't the femur consolidate faster than 1mm/day?

Dr Sarins patients have to lengthen at 2-2.5mm/day or else the femur will consolidate. It's with the external very painful monorail.

Sweden, lengthening with an internal rod makes your consolidation go slower than lengthening with only an external fixator. Regardless, unless you are very young and are at risk of preconsolidating, it's is not recommended to lengthen faster than 1mm per day.
SysOp
Forum Admin / Moderator
Administrator
MMT Expert

Credibility 712

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 10:41:19 AM »

Nanog, physical therapy is probably the most important part of leg lengthening. You should be trying to stretch on your own a few times a day sitting on the floor or on your bed, and you really should have PT every day. Please try to find a safe way to increase your stretching and physical therapy.
a1_z1
MMT Adviser

Credibility 10

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 01:25:13 PM »

Hi guys, thanks very much for the welcome.  Today is actually post-op day 6 for me and day #1 of lengthening.  I was too exhausted to start this diary earlier.  Hereís some background for my story: Iím a 31 year old male about 5í5Ē and Iíve always wished I were just an inch or two taller so I could be average height and just feel normal.  Iíve known about LL for several years and did a lot of research on Dr.  Betz.  However, it wasnít until I heard about the PRECICE that I decided to really pursue LL.  I wasnít interested in the external methods because they just seemed too painful.  With Dr.  Betz, the clicking aspect really scared me and I never had a long enough period of free time to be able to stay in Germany for so long.  With the PRECICE, it seemed like a much better option once I found out about it.  I considered getting a consult with Dr.  Paley, but Florida would have been too far and much more expensive and inconvenient.  Dr.  Mahboubian is experienced and much closer and this way I could stay at home during the entire process, which was important to me.  I had my consult with Dr.  M in Dec 2012 and my surgery was done on 1/31.  I decided to do bilateral femurs because I wanted to get it over with at the same time.  Also, because femurs seem to be a little more straightforward and consolidate faster than tibias, that was another reason for me.  After the surgery, I went home the next day on Friday in a wheelchair.  Dr.  M had me start lengthening on post-op day 6.  Our plan is to do 0. 33mm three times a day for 1mm daily.  My goal is to actually stop at 5cm because I would be very happy and satisfied with 2 inches.  For me, that would be enough.  Using the magnet does not hurt, but afterwards I do feel some tightness in my thighs.  The most surprising aspect of this process has been the tightness and stiffness I feel in my thighs and over my knees.  It feels like a constricting pressure, not so much sharp stabbing pain.  I try to do stretches with a band during the day while Iím in the wheelchair and I try extending my legs when I can, but it is very difficult right now.  The swelling has improved since the surgery, but some is still there.  I feel like my ROM is very limited right now and I will definitely need to start PT soon.  Sleeping at night has been very difficult this first week.  My legs feel heavy and uncomfortable, though itís not a sharp pain or anything like that keeping me up.  I take Norco at night before I try to sleep and have been using Tylenol during the day since post-op day 4.  Narcotics make me feel worse and I try to avoid them when I can, if I can tolerate it.  My first post-op check is Friday with Dr.  M and I will see what he says about how things are going and provide an update.  Thanks again for the support. 

Really looking forward to your experience. The more detailed the better. Congrads on your op,
did you do any stretching before the surgery ? ..you wish you had or no...?
Thx
nanog
MMT Member

Credibility 2

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 08:50:26 PM »

SysOp, thanks for the advice.  I am definitely going to ask Dr.  M about PT options tomorrow.  When I'm in the chair, I try to extend each leg up and down and then flex the knee.  I also use a rope under my foot to stretch out the entire leg that way.  While on the bed I try to touch my toes while legs are extended.  Are there other specific exercises that I should be doing in the meantime to help with femur LL? I know I have a lot of work to do to improve the stiffness. 

a1_z1, I did try to stretch several months before surgery, but I was never as diligent as I should have been.  I have never been that flexibile to begin with, which is probably contributing to my stiffness and tightness right now. 

Padfreak101, I think I will stick to my 5cm goal for now and just see how it goes day by day. 

Tall
LL Hero
MMT Expert

Credibility 375

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 09:00:06 PM »

SysOp, thanks for the advice.  I am definitely going to ask Dr.  M about PT options tomorrow.  When I'm in the chair, I try to extend each leg up and down and then flex the knee.  I also use a rope under my foot to stretch out the entire leg that way.  While on the bed I try to touch my toes while legs are extended.  Are there other specific exercises that I should be doing in the meantime to help with femur LL? I know I have a lot of work to do to improve the stiffness. 

a1_z1, I did try to stretch several months before surgery, but I was never as diligent as I should have been.  I have never been that flexibile to begin with, which is probably contributing to my stiffness and tightness right now. 

Padfreak101, I think I will stick to my 5cm goal for now and just see how it goes day by day. 

Nanog,

I am also one of Dr. M's patients. I am currently lengthening my right tibia. Let me echo what SysOp has told you. Stretching is very important! If you do it early in your lengthening then it will be easier as you go. Let me know if you have any questions because I have also lengthened my femurs. Hang in there!

God Bless,

Tall

a1_z1
MMT Adviser

Credibility 10

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2013, 10:03:36 PM »

Nanog, physical therapy is probably the most important part of leg lengthening. You should be trying to stretch on your own a few times a day sitting on the floor or on your bed, and you really should have PT every day. Please try to find a safe way to increase your stretching and physical therapy.

Interesting - so what if one can not afford so many PT sessions, are there any standard exercises that one can perform ? Thx
6ftby2014
MMT Expert

Credibility 38

Current height 171.5cm (5'7.5")

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2013, 11:51:13 PM »

Congrats Nanog. You are our first bilateral femur diary with Precise. I wish you an easy and complication free lengthening period and fast consolidation and recovery.

" Whatever you want, you shall have. Whatever you search for, you shall find ".
lwdc123
MMT Member

Credibility 7

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2013, 01:19:33 AM »

Nanong
   Can you get onto a stationary bike?
1-quads --bending knee
2-hams-raising straight leg
3- abductors/rotators-pushing leg to side
you must also stretch the tfl/itb
and iliopsoas

GOOGLE OR U TUBE  to see stretches

LJ
samson
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2013, 05:52:12 AM »

Nanong, so Dr. M didn't teach you what stretching exercises you have to do???
a1_z1
MMT Adviser

Credibility 10

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2013, 10:07:50 AM »

Nanong
1-quads --bending knee
and iliopsoas

LJ

How can you 'push your legs to the side' when you are in a wheelchair ? Thx
roadwarrior
MMT Member

Credibility 7

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2013, 07:29:00 AM »

Congrats Nanog,
Definitely keep stretching. Id even advice finding a swimming pool to walk in. That can really help relax your muscles.

Starting height:172.7 cm
Goal: 185.5 cm
ďA journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step.Ē Ė Lao Tzu
COOPER
Certified Member
MMT Contributor

Credibility 11

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2013, 11:51:37 PM »

Congratulations Nanog, wish you a best and good luck! Looking forward to your progressive detail diary.

Best
Cooper

Starting Height: 160
Lengthening Goal- 7 to 8
nanog
MMT Member

Credibility 2

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2013, 04:01:27 AM »

Quote from: Tall link=topic=5861. msg75527#msg75527 date=1360270806
Nanog,

I am also one of Dr.  M's patients.  I am currently lengthening my right tibia.  Let me echo what SysOp has told you.  Stretching is very important! If you do it early in your lengthening then it will be easier as you go.  Let me know if you have any questions because I have also lengthened my femurs.  Hang in there!

God Bless,

Tall

Hi Tall,
Thanks so much for your input and advice.  I could definitely use all the help I can get during this process.  In terms of PT and stretching, did you have a routine you did on your own at home when you lengthened your femurs? Also, sometimes stretching and exercising can be painful.  Are you supposed to just work through the pain? Or is that a sign to be more careful to prevent an injury? I'm trying to figure it out day by day but this is all very new to me. 
nanog
MMT Member

Credibility 2

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2013, 04:02:02 AM »

Quote from: lwdc123 link=topic=5861. msg75536#msg75536 date=1360286373
Nanong
1-quads --bending knee
and iliopsoas

LJ

Hi LJ,
Thanks for your advice on the stretches.  I did get a stationary bike at home but I havenít used it yet.  Iíve been using a rope to simulate pedaling movements with my feet while sitting up in the wheelchair.  I was wondering when you started to use the bike on your PRECICE leg?
nanog
MMT Member

Credibility 2

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2013, 04:02:46 AM »

Thank you to everyone for all the kind messages of support.  Yesterday I had my post-op day 8 check with Dr.  M.  Got all my stitches removed and he said the incisions were all healing well.  No xrays taken.  He gave me a prescription for PT to start next week and told me to continue to stretch my hamstrings especially.  Weíre going to continue 1mm daily.  He said to come back and see him in 2 more weeks, which is when Iíll be taking x-rays, Iím assuming. 

Today Iím up to 5mm.  There is still no pain during the actual use of the magnet, but afterwards I can feel my thighs becoming tighter.  The swelling in both legs has definitely improved.  I still feel really stiff and tight in both legs though.  Iím stretching multiple times a day while on the wheelchair or in bed.  During the day I feel a little looser.  At night, I am able to fall asleep for usually no more than 2-3 hours at a time.  Can anyone comment on whether the sleeping will improve over time? My legs always feel the tightest immediately after waking up.  Even though Iím continuing to stretch, I donít feel like my legs are feeling any better or looser.  Itís kind of discouraging, and Iím wondering if things will improve with more time or whether this is what the entire lengthening period will feel like.  Itís mostly tolerable but I do want to feel better if possible. 

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Make Me Taller! The world's number one elective leg lengthening site! Come here for information about LL, things to make you taller, how to get taller permanently, Ilizarov, Betzbone, Guichet Nail, PRECICE, height growth and other height related issues. This is the number one leg lengthening forum for height seekers and people trying to become taller. It was created and run by people who have actually done leg lengthening surgery (LL).

As a community site, MMT forum thrives on people's contributions, so please feel free to share your make me taller questions, videos, photos and experiences here in this leg lengthening forum. Make me taller is open to all, but please read the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) before posting as this will answer nearly all of your questions about getting taller through surgery. Please read our leg lengthening diaries too! We hope that you find this forum useful. Cheers, SysOp.