MMT Community
January 21, 2019, 05:32:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Words of wisdom from sna78:
"Pain is temporary, height is forever!"

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nanog - Internal Femurs - Dr. Mahboubian - 2013 - Growing Taller With PRECICE  (Read 21833 times)
Tall
LL Hero
MMT Expert

Credibility 375

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2013, 06:35:03 AM »

Hi Tall,
Thanks so much for your input and advice.  I could definitely use all the help I can get during this process.  In terms of PT and stretching, did you have a routine you did on your own at home when you lengthened your femurs? Also, sometimes stretching and exercising can be painful.  Are you supposed to just work through the pain? Or is that a sign to be more careful to prevent an injury? I'm trying to figure it out day by day but this is all very new to me. 

Hey Nanog,

This is why having a PT come in 3-5 times per week is important. he or she will lay out a plan of stretches & exercises that you can follow 7 days a week. As far as pain goes, some pain is just stretching pain & other pain is pain that you should be careful with. Your PT can help you learn the difference between to two. I hope this helps. Let me know if there is any thing else I can help you with. You can do it Bro!!!

God Bless,

Tall

lwdc123
MMT Member

Credibility 7

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2013, 07:56:26 PM »

Hi LJ,
Thanks for your advice on the stretches.  I did get a stationary bike at home but I havenít used it yet.  Iíve been using a rope to simulate pedaling movements with my feet while sitting up in the wheelchair.  I was wondering when you started to use the bike on your PRECICE leg?

I started about day 5 and had pain so started easy(not all the way around and not too long)
I worked into the pain a bit and after a few weeks it got easier on my R leg
On my L leg its taking longer for the pain to go away
(I think a small nerve got irritated during surgery)

as to the sideways stretching--I do that on the bed--not a chair

I also go to a heated pool 3x/week --its great(this I started a few weeks after surgery when the skin wounds  were healed)-its easy to move your knees/hips in all directions

good luck
LJ
6ftby2014
MMT Expert

Credibility 38

Current height 171.5cm (5'7.5")

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2013, 08:22:20 PM »

I started about day 5 and had pain so started easy(not all the way around and not too long)
I worked into the pain a bit and after a few weeks it got easier on my R leg
On my L leg its taking longer for the pain to go away
(I think a small nerve got irritated during surgery)

as to the sideways stretching--I do that on the bed--not a chair

I also go to a heated pool 3x/week --its great(this I started a few weeks after surgery when the skin wounds  were healed)-its easy to move your knees/hips in all directions

good luck
LJ

Excellent advice.

" Whatever you want, you shall have. Whatever you search for, you shall find ".
COOPER
Certified Member
MMT Contributor

Credibility 11

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2013, 11:52:50 AM »

Thank you to everyone for all the kind messages of support.  Yesterday I had my post-op day 8 check with Dr.  M.  Got all my stitches removed and he said the incisions were all healing well.  No xrays taken.  He gave me a prescription for PT to start next week and told me to continue to stretch my hamstrings especially.  Weíre going to continue 1mm daily.  He said to come back and see him in 2 more weeks, which is when Iíll be taking x-rays, Iím assuming. 

Today Iím up to 5mm.  There is still no pain during the actual use of the magnet, but afterwards I can feel my thighs becoming tighter.  The swelling in both legs has definitely improved.  I still feel really stiff and tight in both legs though.  Iím stretching multiple times a day while on the wheelchair or in bed.  During the day I feel a little looser.  At night, I am able to fall asleep for usually no more than 2-3 hours at a time.  Can anyone comment on whether the sleeping will improve over time? My legs always feel the tightest immediately after waking up.  Even though Iím continuing to stretch, I donít feel like my legs are feeling any better or looser.  Itís kind of discouraging, and Iím wondering if things will improve with more time or whether this is what the entire lengthening period will feel like.  Itís mostly tolerable but I do want to feel better if possible. 

I had the exact experience three weeks ago when I did my acl surgery. I usually wakeup early morning around 3/4 am with stiff and sore. I checked with my doctor and pt, they told me it is because my leg is in one position and blood is not circulating enough. I was not able to bend my knees back then which I think is the primary reason. My leg stayed in one position up until I was able to bend my knees.

I used to walk around the house and stretch to loosen up and slept pretty good after that. I did that almost for 7 days than I improved lot on knee bending and problem went away. Are you able to bend your knees while sleepin, if so what degree?

Starting Height: 160
Lengthening Goal- 7 to 8
nanog
MMT Member

Credibility 2

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2013, 12:27:28 AM »

hi cooper.  if i'm laying flat in bed, i can bend my knees about 1/3 to 1/2 of what i could normally do before the surgery (don't know how many degrees that is).  both legs feel very stiff when i bend.  also, sometimes i get these hard knots of muscle in the thigh if i lay in bed for too long.  i'm continuing to stretch everyday and hope that things will improve soon. 
a1_z1
MMT Adviser

Credibility 10

« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2013, 12:36:49 AM »

hi cooper.  if i'm laying flat in bed, i can bend my knees about 1/3 to 1/2 of what i could normally do before the surgery (don't know how many degrees that is).  both legs feel very stiff when i bend.  also, sometimes i get these hard knots of muscle in the thigh if i lay in bed for too long.  i'm continuing to stretch everyday and hope that things will improve soon. 

Also how do you keep busy during the day. How long does it take for the "head to clear" so you can read a book, watch a movie or draw or something ? I mean it must an experience just waiting for the day to end as you are in a wheelchair all day.
nanog
MMT Member

Credibility 2

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2013, 07:28:03 AM »

Quote from: a1_z1 link=topic=5861. msg75891#msg75891 date=1360629409
Also how do you keep busy during the day.  How long does it take for the "head to clear" so you can read a book, watch a movie or draw or something ? I mean it must an experience just waiting for the day to end as you are in a wheelchair all day.

hi a1_z1.  being in the wheelchair is actually not that bad.  i just watch some tv and read during the day.  i transfer to the bed to do some stretching and the lengthening is three times daily, which breaks up the day.  the worst part is at night when i'm just laying flat trying to sleep.  my legs feel very tight and heavy and it's very uncomfortable. 
Red321
MMT Member

Credibility 10

Honesty is my only policy

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2013, 05:44:45 PM »

Hey nanog, do you have someone taking care of you? how is your overall independence at this point? And how was it right after the surgery?

Height: 170
Wingspan: 179
Weight:150 LBS/68 KG

I NEVER SAVED ANYTHING FOR THE SWIM BACK
leonard
MMT Contributor

Credibility 18

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2013, 05:52:35 PM »

Hey Nanog,

Congrats on a successful surgery. I have my consultation with Dr. M by the end of march and to be honest I can't wait.

You talk about your sleeping problems at night...If you sleep only 3-4 hours per night do you catch up on the sleep during the day(like long naps etc.)  or are you in constant state of tiredness ?

Another question regarding physiotherapy: Have you started it yet and does the physiotherapist come to your place or do you have to visit him / her in the wheelchair?

Please be so kind and reply. I appreciate it.

Keep on streching man. It will pay off for sure.

All the best

Leonard
samson
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2013, 01:11:49 AM »

Hi guys, thanks very much for the welcome.  Today is actually post-op day 6 for me and day #1 of lengthening.  I was too exhausted to start this diary earlier.  Hereís some background for my story: Iím a 31 year old male about 5í5Ē and Iíve always wished I were just an inch or two taller so I could be average height and just feel normal.  Iíve known about LL for several years and did a lot of research on Dr.  Betz.  However, it wasnít until I heard about the PRECICE that I decided to really pursue LL.  I wasnít interested in the external methods because they just seemed too painful.  With Dr.  Betz, the clicking aspect really scared me and I never had a long enough period of free time to be able to stay in Germany for so long.  With the PRECICE, it seemed like a much better option once I found out about it.  I considered getting a consult with Dr.  Paley, but Florida would have been too far and much more expensive and inconvenient.  Dr.  Mahboubian is experienced and much closer and this way I could stay at home during the entire process, which was important to me.  I had my consult with Dr.  M in Dec 2012 and my surgery was done on 1/31.  I decided to do bilateral femurs because I wanted to get it over with at the same time.  Also, because femurs seem to be a little more straightforward and consolidate faster than tibias, that was another reason for me.  After the surgery, I went home the next day on Friday in a wheelchair.  Dr.  M had me start lengthening on post-op day 6.  Our plan is to do 0. 33mm three times a day for 1mm daily.  My goal is to actually stop at 5cm because I would be very happy and satisfied with 2 inches.  For me, that would be enough.  Using the magnet does not hurt, but afterwards I do feel some tightness in my thighs.  The most surprising aspect of this process has been the tightness and stiffness I feel in my thighs and over my knees.  It feels like a constricting pressure, not so much sharp stabbing pain.  I try to do stretches with a band during the day while Iím in the wheelchair and I try extending my legs when I can, but it is very difficult right now.  The swelling has improved since the surgery, but some is still there.  I feel like my ROM is very limited right now and I will definitely need to start PT soon.  Sleeping at night has been very difficult this first week.  My legs feel heavy and uncomfortable, though itís not a sharp pain or anything like that keeping me up.  I take Norco at night before I try to sleep and have been using Tylenol during the day since post-op day 4.  Narcotics make me feel worse and I try to avoid them when I can, if I can tolerate it.  My first post-op check is Friday with Dr.  M and I will see what he says about how things are going and provide an update.  Thanks again for the support. 

Hi nanog and all, just a quick question:

why would there already be tightness/stiffness in thighs/knees and limited ROM when you barely have lengthened your legs? 
a1_z1
MMT Adviser

Credibility 10

« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2013, 02:25:22 AM »

hi a1_z1.  being in the wheelchair is actually not that bad.  i just watch some tv and read during the day.  i transfer to the bed to do some stretching and the lengthening is three times daily, which breaks up the day.  the worst part is at night when i'm just laying flat trying to sleep.  my legs feel very tight and heavy and it's very uncomfortable. 
Thanks for the reply. Thx a lot. reading and computer I can live with for a couple of months. My bills are paid through web service.
Also you think after like a month or so I can use  dumbell weights for shoulders and arms training (as long as it does not tense up the legs? I am in great shape and would like to maintain as much as possible (even if it is a little) for the length of the wheelchair stay, cause I know even after the wheelchair it will take like 6 weeks or so to walk normally and with some confidence to go to the gym etc.
I wish you all the luck .....
Tall
LL Hero
MMT Expert

Credibility 375

« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2013, 02:25:17 AM »

Hi Nanog,

How are you doing these days?

God Bless,

Tall

a1_z1
MMT Adviser

Credibility 10

« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2013, 03:14:16 AM »

Hi Nanog,

How are you doing these days?

God Bless,

Tall

yp - how are you ....hope all is real well.
CM12345
Lurker

Credibility 0

« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2013, 10:12:50 PM »

Is there a limit on how many cm? I want to do 8cm
leonard
MMT Contributor

Credibility 18

« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2013, 10:34:42 PM »

Hey Nanog,

It's been 2 weeks since your last post...

Hope everything is OK.

Would be nice to get a little update.

Leonard
jenslarsen
Certified Member
MMT Contributor

Credibility 14

« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2013, 05:01:35 PM »

How are you doing now, nanog?

5'7"
COOPER
Certified Member
MMT Contributor

Credibility 11

« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2013, 09:02:50 PM »

Hey Nanog,
Any update? Will love to hear the progress and any on going challeneges if any. Please keep us informed.

Thanks,
Cooper

Starting Height: 160
Lengthening Goal- 7 to 8
kusop
MMT Contributor

Credibility -132

« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2013, 09:35:11 PM »

he should be finished by now, no?
Tall
LL Hero
MMT Expert

Credibility 375

« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2013, 04:37:04 AM »

I think he finished recently. Dr. M just put up X-rays on his Facebook page of a femur patient who had completed 5cm with great bone regeneration. I'm not sure if it's him or not...

samson
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2013, 04:45:33 AM »

I think he finished recently. Dr. M just put up X-rays on his Facebook page of a femur patient who had completed 5cm with great bone regeneration. I'm not sure if it's him or not...

Nanog is Asian, right?   The legs on facebook dont look Asian.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Make Me Taller! The world's number one elective leg lengthening site! Come here for information about LL, things to make you taller, how to get taller permanently, Ilizarov, Betzbone, Guichet Nail, PRECICE, height growth and other height related issues. This is the number one leg lengthening forum for height seekers and people trying to become taller. It was created and run by people who have actually done leg lengthening surgery (LL).

As a community site, MMT forum thrives on people's contributions, so please feel free to share your make me taller questions, videos, photos and experiences here in this leg lengthening forum. Make me taller is open to all, but please read the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) before posting as this will answer nearly all of your questions about getting taller through surgery. Please read our leg lengthening diaries too! We hope that you find this forum useful. Cheers, SysOp.