MMT Community
June 28, 2017, 01:54:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Support MMT Community
News: Please spread the word and invite people from other Leg Lengthening forums to join us - this is a professionally-run forum and is properly maintained and developed for our community by people who have actually had Leg Lengthening - all are welcome - there'll be no delays in signing-up either, unlike some other forums! Wink

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Has the information on this forum made you more OR less likely to have Leg Lengthening?
It has made me more likely to have it.
It has made me less likely to have it.
It has made no difference to me whatsoever.
I just come here to entertain myself by reading about crazy people.
This forum is irresponsible and should be closed down immediately!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Has this forum made you more or less likely to have LL?  (Read 45492 times)
TIBIKE2002
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #120 on: June 27, 2016, 08:08:24 AM »

I can just give you my experience. I did Precice 2 Femur. The first 4 weeks were bad . It was a testing time and I was expecting it. You sure your doc was telling you about Precice femur ?
I am here on this forum cause I read all the diaries and they helped me. There was no way the doctor could have told me all the things that I learnt from this forum, in 2 - 3 meetings. I made it through the worst part of LL (and my journey is still not over mind you, so you never know) and this forum helped me for sure. So ask any questions, I am here for you guys and gals and not sure for how long.

Would you say that your doc sugar coated the entire process?
a1_z1
MMT Adviser

Credibility 10

« Reply #121 on: June 27, 2016, 02:27:02 PM »

Would you say that your doc sugar coated the entire process?

Simple yet good question.
Answer:  NO.
Maybe I am biased since I am near the end.
As I said it is not possible to explain everything. I was told that I would be immobile for a long enough period...I do feel that at times he revealed certain things clearly only after op but as I said those things do not have a clear YES or NO  answer anyway. One is free to ask the doc any questions before the op . Also remember the first 4 weeks were horrible BUT they are manageable, you just have to expect it and be prepared. It is 4 weeks out of your life !  After that it is not all bed of roses but everything gets better slowly. After lenghting of course you have to start recovery - to walk etc. This is a journey. You will be surprised how the doc would have everything covered , they have teams for everything.

Another thing is that (atleast with me it was) most think that it is the pain that is the most difficult, that is not really true. Pain is a part of it but it is the sum total of everything that just adds up and wears you down. Immobility, pain, sever energy drain at different times of the day, effects of medication, using and worrying about tolite visits, you can only sleep or be in certain position cause of some knee issue, general discomfort, sleep itself, etc etc etc

I suggest if you are interested in Precice 2 than read all the Precice diaries and ask me questions. Ask your doctor questions and make up your mind, keep it simple enough.
jwalk707
n00b

Credibility 0

« Reply #122 on: June 27, 2016, 10:17:42 PM »

Quote from: a1_z1 link=topic=596. msg108260#msg108260 date=1466986557
I can just give you my experience.  I did Precice 2 Femur.  The first 4 weeks were bad .  It was a testing time and I was expecting it.  You sure your doc was telling you about Precice femur ?
I am here on this forum cause I read all the diaries and they helped me.  There was no way the doctor could have told me all the things that I learnt from this forum, in 2 - 3 meetings.  I made it through the worst part of LL (and my journey is still not over mind you, so you never know) and this forum helped me for sure.  So ask any questions, I am here for you guys and gals and not sure for how long.

Yes, here is an email reply to me from Dr.  M's office, which paints a much lighter process than what I've seen here:

"Thank you for contacting us regarding Height Lengthening. 

Currently, the only financing available is through Care Credit with the ability to finance the procedure being completely dependent upon your credit rating.

You will be able to return to work, at a desk job, 2-3 weeks after surgery.   Below is some general information.

The limb lengthening procedure is considered cosmetic and may not be covered by your insurance.   But having insurance would be beneficial to cover the costs of physical therapy, medications and any additional problems/complications that may come up during your treatment.

The most up-to-date procedure uses an intramedullary rod and is called the PRECICE technique.   Most candidates are able to increase their height up to 8 cm with one lengthening procedure (usually femurs) without it being an issue.   Additional lengthening of the tibias can be performed to increase height further.   And, although age is always a consideration, the main concerns regarding candidacy is the health of your bones meaning that you don't have bone disease or infections.    It is not recommended to perform lengthening on the femurs and tibias simultaneously due to higher complication rates including fat embolism, joint contracture and nerve damage.

The first step in the process is to determine if the Limb Lengthening procedure is right for you.   To do this you will need to set up a consultation so that you can be properly evaluated.   During the consultation Dr.  M will examine you and take x-rays of your legs.   At that time you will be given all the necessary information including costs, duration and treatment options.   You will be able to perform the distraction in the comfort of your own home.   You will also not be completely wheelchair bound and will be able to stand and take a few steps for transfers.   The recovery time is from 3-4 months before you can walk without any assistance and 6-8 months for competitive sports.

It is recommended that you remain in the United States for the entire lengthening process.   If that is not possible, than a minimum of 2-3 weeks are necessary to make sure all went well with the procedure and that the lengthening phase begins well.

Please call 818. 322. 0126 to set up an appointment"

This sounds easier than how you guys have been describing the process.  Working in 2 weeks?

a1_z1
MMT Adviser

Credibility 10

« Reply #123 on: July 05, 2016, 10:53:23 PM »

Yes, here is an email reply to me from Dr.  M's office, which paints a much lighter process than what I've seen here:

"Thank you for contacting us regarding Height Lengthening. 

Currently, the only financing available is through Care Credit with the ability to finance the procedure being completely dependent upon your credit rating.

You will be able to return to work, at a desk job, 2-3 weeks after surgery.   Below is some general information.

The limb lengthening procedure is considered cosmetic and may not be covered by your insurance.   But having insurance would be beneficial to cover the costs of physical therapy, medications and any additional problems/complications that may come up during your treatment.

The most up-to-date procedure uses an intramedullary rod and is called the PRECICE technique.   Most candidates are able to increase their height up to 8 cm with one lengthening procedure (usually femurs) without it being an issue.   Additional lengthening of the tibias can be performed to increase height further.   And, although age is always a consideration, the main concerns regarding candidacy is the health of your bones meaning that you don't have bone disease or infections.    It is not recommended to perform lengthening on the femurs and tibias simultaneously due to higher complication rates including fat embolism, joint contracture and nerve damage.

The first step in the process is to determine if the Limb Lengthening procedure is right for you.   To do this you will need to set up a consultation so that you can be properly evaluated.   During the consultation Dr.  M will examine you and take x-rays of your legs.   At that time you will be given all the necessary information including costs, duration and treatment options.   You will be able to perform the distraction in the comfort of your own home.   You will also not be completely wheelchair bound and will be able to stand and take a few steps for transfers.   The recovery time is from 3-4 months before you can walk without any assistance and 6-8 months for competitive sports.

It is recommended that you remain in the United States for the entire lengthening process.   If that is not possible, than a minimum of 2-3 weeks are necessary to make sure all went well with the procedure and that the lengthening phase begins well.

Please call 818. 322. 0126 to set up an appointment"

This sounds easier than how you guys have been describing the process.  Working in 2 weeks?

Ok after reading your post and the post before, I found myself thinking deeply about this. The whole process (now that I am done) ,  I have changed my mind. I think the doctors DO SUGAR COAT things . I am not sure if they do it on purpose. Like I am not even sure if most people doing 8 cm reach that mark but the doctor will tell you that most do and just 10% dont. The other example is your email. I dont think anyone can wheel them self to an office desk job in 2 3 weeks and start work. Just using the toilet is a big deal in the first 4 weeks not to mention many other things.  If that desk job is in your own living room than yes you can.

Anyway that is just my opinion based on my experience. Have realistic expectations cause anything can happen no matter how much you prepare . Also if the doctor says 2 - 3 weeks...make that 4 to 6 weeks or more. Remember at its worst it is just 2 -3 months off your life, the rest is recovery . If you want it badly enough you can do it.
Nameless
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #124 on: May 09, 2017, 12:58:38 PM »

More likely.
I got to the conclusion that it's possible and the pain levels may vary from case to case, depending on many factors.
I used to think just extremely crazy people go through with it, but after talking to some of them, I actually got to know some really smart and nice people who simply suffer from their height, the same as me.
As long as you go to a certified doctor with lots of experience, statistics says you should be okay.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Make Me Taller! The world's number one elective leg lengthening site! Come here for information about LL, things to make you taller, how to get taller permanently, Ilizarov, Betzbone, Guichet Nail, PRECICE, height growth and other height related issues. This is the number one leg lengthening forum for height seekers and people trying to become taller. It was created and run by people who have actually done leg lengthening surgery (LL).

As a community site, MMT forum thrives on people's contributions, so please feel free to share your make me taller questions, videos, photos and experiences here in this leg lengthening forum. Make me taller is open to all, but please read the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) before posting as this will answer nearly all of your questions about getting taller through surgery. Please read our leg lengthening diaries too! We hope that you find this forum useful. Cheers, SysOp.