MMT Community
February 22, 2019, 10:23:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Check out the new photos in the Proportions section, which include photos and videos of a lady who lengthened by a full 12cm walking and stretching, and a guy who did 8.8cm taking his first steps! Shocked Click Here!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is The Long Term Damage To The Body From LL Worth It?  (Read 44343 times)
Body Builder
LL Veteran
MMT Adviser

Credibility 121

« Reply #60 on: May 01, 2015, 08:52:55 PM »

Many people have broken something in their lifes, and there is non lang term damage, however, you said long term, not permanently damage.
Breaking something is different from breaking it and stretching it.
The second is something that changes a lot to the body and yes, it is a permanent change. If someone is wise with lengthening and the doctor is a true professional, then this change won't cause major problems. In any other case, yes, we can talk about damage, from minor to major.

live strong
russianpatient
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #61 on: June 22, 2015, 04:39:51 PM »

any of the veterans have long term damage?

the end of the diary. not own choice and own choice at the same time.
ready to move on. legs are healthy and getting better.

general questions about this experience:
are there good aspects: yes
are there problems: yes
could there be improvements:yes
OregonMade
Lurker

Credibility 0

« Reply #62 on: July 14, 2015, 05:15:11 AM »

Quote from: Padfreak101 link=topic=6080. msg80311#msg80311 date=1367236766
Now theres a quote for the ages !!
I don't think this guy has heard of meditation
katmai
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« Reply #63 on: July 17, 2015, 12:47:13 AM »

any of the veterans have long term damage?

I had LL (microwound) back in Jan of 2003 so it's been about 12.5 yrs. Although I've heard that breakages in the same areas usually grow back even stronger, I don't feel confident about those areas and do feel pressure / pain if I run too hard. Other than that and my lack of flexibility (which I didn't work on as I don't care about it that much) there isn't any other impediments to my daily life. Mind you, I heard lengthening the femurs to be a lot more painful so the long term results from that could be different.

pizymisa
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #64 on: July 22, 2015, 02:43:24 AM »

I believe what that guy said is true.
As we can see, people who got plastic surgeries often suffer some form of side effects as they age.
But it all depends if it's worth the "cost" to each individual
itsmylife
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #65 on: July 23, 2015, 09:41:44 PM »

I saw that there are histopathologic differences in the soft tissue especially at higher rates of lengthening. Any comments? This is from studies.
a1_z1
MMT Adviser

Credibility 10

« Reply #66 on: July 23, 2015, 11:39:33 PM »

I believe what that guy said is true.
As we can see, people who got plastic surgeries often suffer some form of side effects as they age.

give me an example - like what side effects of what surgery (as they age )  ?
pizymisa
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #67 on: July 25, 2015, 07:17:31 AM »

give me an example - like what side effects of what surgery (as they age )  ?

Jawline reduction when the doctor shave off part of the bone to make the face smaller.
People who receive that surgery often have trouble with chewing, and sometimes, the jaw can come out of the socket.
Also, nose augmentation can cause breathing issues. I haven't met another person who has had LL and willing to talk about it, so not sure if they will have weakened muscles? More prone to Arthritis? Maybe things like that? But anyway, don't get me wrong. I believe in reasonable risks. Since LL is a major surgery, there are risks and potential long term effects involved, but if the benefit is worth the risk, I'd go for it. That's why its so important to talk to a good doctor, who can be honest and tell us all about the potential risks.
MyLongerLegs
Certified Member
MMT Contributor

Credibility 12

« Reply #68 on: July 25, 2015, 09:42:13 AM »

I am not so sure if LL can be reason for arthritis. Ilizarov has been used for ages so shouldn't there be many cases arthritis-lengthening related? The method is used for long enough to know long term side effects. I take it as a possibility but tbh I am very sceptic.
drewicz
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #69 on: July 25, 2015, 09:50:52 PM »

As for the stem cells I did not understand why we can lost them.
I have read that these are in the blood.  . . .  so for example when we donating blood . . .  we lose them too? Besides, every cell will renews itself max every month . . .
Likewise, when donating the bone marrow. . .  everywhere is writes that it is regenerating.
What about the bone marrow, after they pull of the internal device? (it's mostly yellow bone marrow which is not active).
Rains
MMT Member

Credibility 1

Jailbreak Karma

« Reply #70 on: July 26, 2015, 06:05:21 AM »

I will put it simply for those who have doubts about LL and its after effects.

Think of LL as having a car crash and 3 months plus a year of rehab you're 3 inches taller. Some people walked away from car crash with no trace of having been there, some people will have scars and some will have lasting effects.

Good luck and may your angel beat the cra* out of your devil and give you the strength to do or reject LL.
drewicz
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #71 on: August 05, 2015, 04:53:21 PM »

I had LL (microwound) back in Jan of 2003 so it's been about 12.5 yrs. Although I've heard that breakages in the same areas usually grow back even stronger, I don't feel confident about those areas and do feel pressure / pain if I run too hard. Other than that and my lack of flexibility (which I didn't work on as I don't care about it that much) there isn't any other impediments to my daily life. Mind you, I heard lengthening the femurs to be a lot more painful so the long term results from that could be different.

I'm without LL and when i run i have mostly pain in my tibias, the same like You. I also hear clicking sometimes in my knee. Smiley
Tell me please what is "hard run"? 10km? or 1km?

I have 3 friends tall(186-195) and they all are worse from me in stretching, running, even in balancing movement. We have the same activity in sport (zero... only e-sport:)
Maybe this is a only case, but why all best people in gymnastics are short? Hoever i also seen an article about lose 10% of abbility from soft tissue.
wish177
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #72 on: August 05, 2015, 09:33:55 PM »

I'm without LL and when i run i have mostly pain in my tibias, the same like You. I also hear clicking sometimes in my knee. Smiley
Tell me please what is "hard run"? 10km? or 1km?

I have 3 friends tall(186-195) and they all are worse from me in stretching, running, even in balancing movement. We have the same activity in sport (zero... only e-sport:)
Maybe this is a only case, but why all best people in gymnastics are short? Hoever i also seen an article about lose 10% of abbility from soft tissue.
Same here, I am only 160 cm tall and I was the tastes runner in the school.
ShortandStubborn
Certified Member
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #73 on: August 11, 2015, 05:33:23 PM »

The Long term damage to the body from alcohol or smoking isn't worth it either.  But ya only live once.
See the thing is, there's a lot of things people wish they were someone ot something else but since they
can't change it - they learn to live with it. 

A lot of people wish they were born in the British Royal Family, a lot of people wish they were born in a
rich family, a lot of people wish they were born in an other era but since they can't change it.  They get
over it.  Problem with LL is, they can actually be as much as they wish to be(under a safe limit of course). 

If someone's motivated enough to change something and there's an option to do so - they'll do it.
tallerz
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #74 on: April 19, 2016, 02:28:26 AM »

All I really care about is if I will be able to run and play sports again.  I don't care if I am not the best athlete, but I would like to know if I will be able to go for a 5 mile run or play soccer with my friends.  I know that recovery to this extent takes time.  But if it can be achieved in a year or two I am alright with that.

Side note, is it possible to lengthen 7. 5 cm and walk within 3 months time? Even if the walking is on crutches that still counts.  I've seen some people on this forum and the old forum claim they have lengthened this much and walked even sooner but what is the general consensus on this? I am looking to have the procedure done over the summer between my first and second year at law school.  Does this seem like a possibility?
Nerdz92
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« Reply #75 on: April 19, 2016, 03:38:04 AM »

All I really care about is if I will be able to run and play sports again.  I don't care if I am not the best athlete, but I would like to know if I will be able to go for a 5 mile run or play soccer with my friends.  I know that recovery to this extent takes time.  But if it can be achieved in a year or two I am alright with that.

Side note, is it possible to lengthen 7. 5 cm and walk within 3 months time? Even if the walking is on crutches that still counts.  I've seen some people on this forum and the old forum claim they have lengthened this much and walked even sooner but what is the general consensus on this? I am looking to have the procedure done over the summer between my first and second year at law school.  Does this seem like a possibility?

Not realistic at all. 7.5 cm would require 5 months post surgery to even start walking with crutches.

current height: 175 cm
goal height: 183 cm
wingspan: 184 cm
expected surgery date: 6/2016
tallerz
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #76 on: April 19, 2016, 03:53:44 PM »

Even with an internal method from Paley or Guichet? There are diaries that show these doctors' patients walking in that amount of time without crutches.
Complex
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #77 on: July 03, 2016, 02:59:31 PM »

Is there anyone who can testify about himself suffering from long term damage ?
Bigfaker
LL Patient
MMT Member

Credibility 96

« Reply #78 on: July 04, 2016, 12:24:52 AM »

Not realistic at all. 7.5 cm would require 5 months post surgery to even start walking with crutches.

I started very gingerly "stepping" around on crutches on my 35th day after frame removal. Sringari wanted me to wait a very conservative (extra) amount of time because of my weight. Over the next two weeks, PTs and I worked on my walking on crutches twice/day, almost every day. It was maybe 5-10 minutes at a time...that was about the limits of what my legs could take. I went home just over seven weeks after FR and was pretty much forced to walk on crutches anytime I left the house.

There are a few videos in my archive documenting this. I've been trying to figure out when to post them, but I finally realized I might as well do it now -- as I keep making more -- so they'll be up this week.

Prev. Height: 5'-5.25"/165.7cm (Morning)
External LON with Dr. Raj Sringari - Install: 12/17/13 * Lengthened: ~3"/7.6cm * Frame Removal 04/17/14
Diagnosed with Partial Non-Union: 02/09/16
Ankle Debridement Surgery: 02/22/16
Rev. Nailing/Bone Graft/Tenotomy - Loma Linda Medical Center: 05/12/16
madefor70
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #79 on: October 20, 2016, 06:25:20 PM »

(Reference linked below) At least during people would've had internal rods between 1987 and 1992, a report published on 2008 shows the damage found are:

Quoted from wikipedia:  "Long-term complications a patient may develop after the implantation of an intramedullary rod in the tibia may include persistent or permanent knee pain (present in 73. 2% of patients studied), atrophy of the calf muscle (27. 3%), atrophy of the quadriceps (27. 3%), and arthritis (35. 4%). [5] Venous thrombosis such as deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism also occur following intramedullary fixation. "

Of course the technology, methods and techniques hopefully are significantly improved, in turn reducing or eliminating these side effects.  However, we can't be too sure.  Maybe future limb lengthening patients (LLers) should contribute their data to researchers so future LLers now what's the progress from then til now.

Reference: h t t p s ://www. ncbi. nlm. nih. gov/pubmed/18758282
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Make Me Taller! The world's number one elective leg lengthening site! Come here for information about LL, things to make you taller, how to get taller permanently, Ilizarov, Betzbone, Guichet Nail, PRECICE, height growth and other height related issues. This is the number one leg lengthening forum for height seekers and people trying to become taller. It was created and run by people who have actually done leg lengthening surgery (LL).

As a community site, MMT forum thrives on people's contributions, so please feel free to share your make me taller questions, videos, photos and experiences here in this leg lengthening forum. Make me taller is open to all, but please read the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) before posting as this will answer nearly all of your questions about getting taller through surgery. Please read our leg lengthening diaries too! We hope that you find this forum useful. Cheers, SysOp.