MMT Community
September 23, 2014, 06:23:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Support MMT Community
News: ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS! Please make sure that you only post general questions on the 'General Questions' board or you'll get a lot of flames - and make sure you read the FAQs and DIARIES first Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bowlegs Correction Experience! Bundang CHA Hospital (S. Korea) Dr. Donghoon Lee  (Read 8190 times)
misss
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« on: June 27, 2013, 12:38:31 PM »

Hi, Iím a college student in South Korea and I want to write about my bowlegs correction experience! Iíve had bowlegs since childhood and they were always a factor that really lowered my self-esteem.  I constantly forced myself to walk with my feet inward (so that my bowlegs wouldnít be so emphasized), hesitated to wear shorts or skirts and whenever I was standing I crossed my legs so people wouldnít notice that my legs were different.  Being so stressed out, I did a lot of research about various known methods for bowlegs correction and got to know Dr.  Donghoon Lee at Bundang CHA Hospital near Seoul.  We discovered that my bowlegs were due to angular deformity, and decided on High Tibial Osteotomy (HTO) for correction. 

The surgery was in September, 2011.  I went under general anesthesia, and when I woke up after the surgery, the level of pain was pretty bad.  On a scale of 1 to 10, I would say it was about 8 to 9, so they gave me a lot of painkillers.  Over the next few days, the pain gradually went away and although I couldnít see my legs for a while (because of the bandages), when they removed the bandages, I was delighted to see that my legs were straight.  Overall, I spent about a week in the hospital and went home on crutches.  I did a lot of exercise (especially my quads, since they were the most important in being able to walk naturally) and after staying home for a week, I was able to walk without crutches! It wasnít 100% natural and I was very slow, but I didnít need to hold on to anything (except when I went down stairs).  So, hereís a mini-timeline on my rehabilitation!

1 week after surgery: walk with crutches
2 weeks after surgery: walk awkwardly & slowly without crutches
4 weeks after surgery: walk naturally, but not run
6 weeks after surgery: wear high heels (7cm)
8 weeks after surgery: jog/run short distances
12 weeks after surgery: sprint, play various sports (basketball, soccer) but not too much

One thing I bet a lot of women (including me) worry about are the scars that result from the surgery.  If you look at the after photo I uploaded, thereís tape on the locations with scars.  The uppermost scar is about 2. 5 cm long, and the two lower scars are about 1 cm long.  Thereís also another tiny one on the inside part of the leg (you canít see it in the photo), thatís about 5 mm long.  All of them are about 5 mm wide.  Since a lot of time has passed since the operation, my scars seem to have faded away a lot, but that doesnít mean you canít see them.  Personally, though, although I was really stressed out about them at first, eventually I forgot about them and decided to focus on the benefits the surgery gave me.  I gained confidence, my legs look longer and prettier and I no longer have to force myself to walk or stand a certain way thatís uncomfortable! Besides, people barely even notice the scars.  Some of my friends thought they were just bruises. 

Generally, Iím completely satisfied with my choice and am thankful for the technology that allowed the operation.  If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

misss
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 12:51:31 PM »

For some reason, the IMG code I copied from tinypic. com doesn't seem to work :( I don't know if it's just me, but I can't see the photo I uploaded!
Here's a link to see the Before & After photos:

hxxp: tinypic. com/r/2jb5y50/5

If I find a way to upload the photo directly on a reply, I'll do so ASAP!

misss
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 12:54:22 PM »

tinypic. com/r/2jb5y50/5

HERE's the right link for the Before & After photos ! Sorry guys :(

chuck norris
MMT Contributor

Credibility -4

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 09:02:56 PM »

Your legs look great now. Are you planning leg lengthening?
5ft9.5
n00b

Credibility 3

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 04:50:00 AM »

Misss,
How did Dr.  Donghoon fixate your tibia while it healed? Did he use an internal or external method? I ask because I too had surgery to correct my bowlegs . . . however my experience was much more difficult than it should have been (at least this is my belief).  I am always curious to compare other experiences/surgeries vis a vis my own.  It helps to put in perspective differences that might have caused me a longer and more difficult recovery.  In addition, I am definitely jealous of your lack of scars.  For some reason, my left leg has a significant indentation left from where the bone was broken.  Again, this should not have happened either, but what can I say. . . thats life.
misss
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 11:25:31 AM »

Quote from: chuck norris link=topic=6217. msg82938#msg82938 date=1372366976
Your legs look great now.  Are you planning leg lengthening?

Thanks! :) I'm not sure for now, but I'm definitely interested in it!
misss
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 11:33:44 AM »

Quote from: 5ft9. 5 link=topic=6217. msg82947#msg82947 date=1372395000
Misss,
How did Dr.   Donghoon fixate your tibia while it healed? Did he use an internal or external method? I ask because I too had surgery to correct my bowlegs .  .  .  however my experience was much more difficult than it should have been (at least this is my belief).   I am always curious to compare other experiences/surgeries vis a vis my own.   It helps to put in perspective differences that might have caused me a longer and more difficult recovery.   In addition, I am definitely jealous of your lack of scars.   For some reason, my left leg has a significant indentation left from where the bone was broken.   Again, this should not have happened either, but what can I say.  .  .  thats life. 

He fixated it internally with a Tomofix plate! They're still in my legs, and I'm thinking of removing them next summer.  And yeah, I guess scars really depend on a lot of different things.  :(
LAPII
Lurker

Credibility 0

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2014, 03:32:14 PM »

Hi miss i would like to know how much did you pay for the whole correction surgery.  I'm from the philippines do you think i will pay less since its just a 4 hours flight to korea.  I have x legs and wanted to correct it.  thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Make Me Taller! The world's number one elective leg lengthening site! Come here for information about LL, things to make you taller, how to get taller permanently, Ilizarov, Betzbone, Guichet Nail, PRECICE, height growth and other height related issues. This is the number one leg lengthening forum for height seekers and people trying to become taller. It was created and run by people who have actually done leg lengthening surgery (LL).

As a community site, MMT forum thrives on people's contributions, so please feel free to share your make me taller questions, videos, photos and experiences here in this leg lengthening forum. Make me taller is open to all, but please read the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) before posting as this will answer nearly all of your questions about getting taller through surgery. Please read our leg lengthening diaries too! We hope that you find this forum useful. Cheers, SysOp.