MMT Community
February 19, 2017, 11:54:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Support MMT Community
News: Words of wisdom from MMTA:
"Leg Lengthening is hard-work and shouldn't be considered by the faint-hearted. Physical and mental strength are needed in great measure!"

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are my legs bowed? How much can I gain from correction?  (Read 21640 times)
pick
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« on: September 03, 2013, 01:43:27 PM »

pick
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 01:48:06 PM »

I'm extremely sorry about the blank post, it was a mistake.

My feet are together in the image.
So, are they bowed? To what extent?

Please note that I have absolutely no problems with my legs. I'm a soccer player and run quite fast.
I'm considering LL for pure cosmetic reasons (I'm 5'4").
Will correction of bow legs give me a slightly higher increase in height?
I want to be 5'7" or atleast 5'6".

And also, is it necessary for the doctor to correct bow legs while lengthening?
If it is simpler to increase height without a bow leg correction, I think I would opt for that.

Thank you.
pick
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 01:49:49 PM »

The image didn't show up  Angry
Sorry. Here it is: http://imgur.com/w6qeCda
Sweden
Current recovery level: 82% and improving.
LL Veteran
MMT Expert

Credibility 304

LL Fighter, prophet, expert, adviser, hero, LEGEND

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 02:08:20 PM »

Copy/paste the direct link into: [ img ] [ /img ]

Starting height 173cm, now confirmed 180cm. Had surgery in India January 8 -13. Did ~7cm on tibia. Frame removal: 16 April -13. 180cm wingspan. Shrunk to 179cm as my final height. Considering femurs.
pick
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 02:16:43 PM »

Ah, I wasn't using the direct link Tongue

jenslarsen
Certified Member
MMT Contributor

Credibility 14

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 03:02:28 PM »

I'm not a doctor, but they look bowed to me. Put your feet together and measure the gap between your legs. My legs are not bowed, and I have no gap. Search for "bow legs" on Google Images, lots of pictures similar to yours come up.

5'7"
Sweden
LL Veteran
MMT Expert

Credibility 304

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 03:20:49 PM »

Your legs have normal curvation. My legs were even worse but now they're scary straight but it feels much better I can tell you.

My LL surgery did correct the curvation I had in my left leg.

Do LL and your legs will be fine, from the curvation.

Starting height 173cm, now confirmed 180cm. Had surgery in India January 8 -13. Did ~7cm on tibia. Frame removal: 16 April -13. 180cm wingspan. Shrunk to 179cm as my final height. Considering femurs.
Messi88
LL Patient
MMT Member

Credibility 8

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2013, 03:13:07 PM »

I would say you have mild bow legs. It would be better if you had your feet fully together (they are pointed outwards slightly), this would make it easier to judge.

I have bow legs too, and I realise how hard it is to find an answer to your last question. There is a blog I found by somebody who had their bow legs corrected, they show a picture of their legs before the operation and state that they gained 1.3 cm in height.

Your legs are not as bowed as the person described above but, there is not a great difference, so I think (in my opinion) you would definitely get a height gain of some sort from bow legs correction.
pick
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 01:46:46 PM »

Your legs have normal curvation. My legs were even worse but now they're scary straight but it feels much better I can tell you.

My LL surgery did correct the curvation I had in my left leg.

Do LL and your legs will be fine, from the curvation.
Thanks for you reply, Sweden.
What do you mean by scary? Smiley Isn't it normal for them be straight? It would be scary if your legs curved in the opposite direction (like knees touching before the feet do, or inward pointing knees).
Did you have curvation only in the left leg?
Also, by normal curvation do you mean if I didn't have costemic reasons, I could have not done the surgery.
pick
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2013, 01:48:28 PM »

I would say you have mild bow legs. It would be better if you had your feet fully together (they are pointed outwards slightly), this would make it easier to judge.

I have bow legs too, and I realise how hard it is to find an answer to your last question. There is a blog I found by somebody who had their bow legs corrected, they show a picture of their legs before the operation and state that they gained 1.3 cm in height.

Your legs are not as bowed as the person described above but, there is not a great difference, so I think (in my opinion) you would definitely get a height gain of some sort from bow legs correction.
Hey Messi88.
Do you have the link of that picture you're talking about?

And I'll post a better pic, sure.
Messi88
LL Patient
MMT Member

Credibility 8

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2013, 04:51:59 AM »

Hi pick,

Just type 'not a cow girl bow legs' in google and it will come up. There are a few results, click on the first one, this has all the pictures.

pick
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2013, 08:35:42 PM »

This is the link http://notacowgirl.wordpress.com/2011/10/24/iris-story-post-surgery/ Messi88 was talking about. The slideshow at the bottom contains the before-after pics.

Mine isn't that bad but not quite different from that either.

Here is an image with my feet completely together. (I was trying to take a full body pic but after all those funny attempts, I settled with this).

I suppose this restricts my surgery to tibias alone and not femurs because that would probably lead to manifestation of bow leg problems.
merjeng
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2013, 05:05:54 AM »

I have a little Genu_valgum knee it is 3 cm . som guys say that Genu_valgum is good for girls.  but i do not like it . wat do u think?
and if i correct it can it increase my height ?

altere
n00b

Credibility 0

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2013, 06:54:10 AM »

Why would femur lengthening lead to more manifestation of bow legs? Bow legs have to do with calves I believe.
Sweden
LL Veteran
MMT Expert

Credibility 304

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2013, 10:11:07 AM »

Why would femur lengthening lead to more manifestation of bow legs? Bow legs have to do with calves I believe.

It is mostly femurs that are bent in bow leg, or a combination.

pick
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2013, 04:10:23 PM »

It is mostly femurs that are bent in bow leg, or a combination.

Sweden, if femurs had more curvature should an LL there do better to fix bow legs?

Another thing, I had read that internals may not be an option on bones with curvature because the nail can't be inserted that way. Do you think I could do internals? (I intend to do internals in my tibiae)
pick
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2013, 07:17:40 PM »

Can someone please tell me if my legs are too curved to make it obviously unsuitable for internals?

I'm planning for my LL in a year or so and I need to know if externals are my only option.
This will help me decide if I'll get my surgery in India or US/Europe.
Also does the shape of my legs restrict my surgery to only one segment? Which segment is that?

Thanks
SysOp
Forum Admin / Moderator
Administrator
MMT Expert

Credibility 712

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2013, 07:28:39 PM »

Some bowing is natural in tibias. You do not have an unusually large amount of bowing. If anything, from the photos it apprars that one side has sloghtly more bowing than the other. You could remove some of the natural bowing and make them more even if you did your lengthening with externals, but it wouldn't be advised because your bowing is within a normal range.
sheida.iri
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2015, 08:39:08 PM »

hi I have bowlegs too. . . and my tibias is like yours.  . and definitely you have bow leg. .  and go for straighten them. .  because after your surgery you notice differences. . 

mu current height :155cm
my dream height :165 cm
best I can achived:162 cm
+7cm on my tibias and correcting..
considering doing LL in 2017
chipsnsalsa
n00b

Credibility 0

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2015, 05:42:59 PM »

Quote from: sheida. iri link=topic=6436. msg104839#msg104839 date=1435437548
hi I have bowlegs too.  .  .  and my tibias is like yours.   .  and definitely you have bow leg.  .   and go for straighten them.  .   because after your surgery you notice differences.  .  

Hi Sheida, what differences will you notice after surgery? Have you had the straightening surgery?

I would like to post a photo of my bow legs to elicit responses, but I don't seem to be able to do so.  Would someone be kind enough to show me how, if it is possible?

Many thanks
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Make Me Taller! The world's number one elective leg lengthening site! Come here for information about LL, things to make you taller, how to get taller permanently, Ilizarov, Betzbone, Guichet Nail, PRECICE, height growth and other height related issues. This is the number one leg lengthening forum for height seekers and people trying to become taller. It was created and run by people who have actually done leg lengthening surgery (LL).

As a community site, MMT forum thrives on people's contributions, so please feel free to share your make me taller questions, videos, photos and experiences here in this leg lengthening forum. Make me taller is open to all, but please read the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) before posting as this will answer nearly all of your questions about getting taller through surgery. Please read our leg lengthening diaries too! We hope that you find this forum useful. Cheers, SysOp.