MMT Community
February 28, 2017, 02:51:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Support MMT Community
News: NOTE: To see all of our content, and to be able to read the diaries and discussions threads, you must be a member and you must be signed-in or they will not show up.

Sign-up now - it's free and you'll have full access to all of our world-leading resources!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Blackbear - External Tibia / Internal Femur - Doctor Withheld - 2013 - Part 2 Commence!  (Read 39019 times)
plastikman
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2013, 03:45:21 PM »

Hi blackbear and congrats for your achievement so far!

I have one question for you if I'm allowed: What is more painfull and difficult for you to live with,the Ilizarov frame or the ISKD. I know that this website and Sysop doesn't recommend external fixation for the femure not even for the lengthening period of time.So as you seem to be fine with it,I was wondering if you can make a comparison between the two.

Stay strong!
checkmate
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2013, 03:49:21 PM »

Hi guys just thought I would let you all know how I am doing. I feel like I am doing well and all my pin sites look very well.
Last Tuesday I had x-rays which showed good alignment and some spicules of consolidation. according to My LRS fixator when I use a tape measure I am at around 5.5cm so I have another 1.5 cm to go....

Pain wise my bone don't really hurt its just the constant muscle tension in my left calf muscle. In fact its starting to cramp and hurt abit so I have got some muscle relaxers to help with that. as for flexion I have got a bit of a foot drop on my left leg which isn't too bad when I have warmed up and done some physiotherapy. I suspect I will be able to bring my foot back to full flexion once I stop lengthening as this happened the first time.

as for my right leg with the LRS system I have about 20 per cent degree of flexion which isn't too good but again I suspect once I stop lengthening I will stop fighting against the wave and start regaining flexibility.

anyway guys I have a few extra pictures of the LRS moving along but nothing much else because all I am doing is standing at home every day for a good few minutes and doing stretches while in bed. When I go to physiotherapy on Tuesdays I walk around on a Zimmer frame after a good warm up.

Any questions are welcome but Nothing much has changed. catch you all later Cheesy

Thanks for update.

20 % degree of flexion means? Can you bend only 20 Degree ?
blackbear
LL Patient
MMT Contributor

Credibility 95

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2013, 05:11:42 PM »

Hi blackbear and congrats for your achievement so far!

I have one question for you if I'm allowed: What is more painfull and difficult for you to live with,the Ilizarov frame or the ISKD.
I know most of the comunity don't recommend external fixation not even for the lengthening period of time.So as you seem to be fine with it,I was wondering if you can make a comparison between the two.

Stay strong!

I absolutely hate the ISKD the pain from that was extraordinary for the first 6 month and even now the top side pin near my hip gives me gip... cant wait to get rid of that. The Ilizarov is just awkward and the pain is manageable plus you can weight bear on it Cheesy
blackbear
LL Patient
MMT Contributor

Credibility 95

« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2013, 05:12:25 PM »

Thanks for update.

20 % degree of flexion means? Can you bend only 20 Degree ?

I know its really not much but im working on it Sad physio physio physio. Cheesy
blackbear
LL Patient
MMT Contributor

Credibility 95

« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2013, 05:14:18 PM »

I have a LRS system for my femur this time not a Illizarov..... has for pain the LRS is not as painfull for me and hasn't made any difference as I cant weight bear on that until im told too which is the same as the ISKD... only downfall from the LRS from the ISKD is that I cant roll over to sleep on my side. As after 6 month with the ISKD I was able to sleep on my side with it.
blackbear
LL Patient
MMT Contributor

Credibility 95

« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2013, 02:46:10 PM »

ok so I had my operation on the 27.08.2013 and now 3 months later on the 26.11.2013 I had another of my 1 a month consultations with the head consultant which I did not get to see on the 16th.

I want to discuss my progress at this stage from this consultation to keep you up to date guys Smiley

Right so first off my rays. According to the doctor things are definitely healing and everything is still aligned. he has agreed with me we should aim for another 2-3cm to get my knees aligned again as my right femur isn't as long as my left femur yet. my next appointment is on Christmas eve so hopefully I will be told I can stop lengthening then.

Only weird thing is when I woke up this morning half asleep I could of swore one of my LRS pins was slightly bent but I thought it was my eyes. during my consultation the doctor never said anything about it but I showed some of my other Illizarov fixator mates it they said it was definitely slightly bent. I assume the doctor didn't say anything because it wont really effect much or do you think he didn't actually notice it guys?

anyone know what the effects of a slightly bent LRS pin would do?

so that's the good and bad news broken down guys Smiley
blackbear
LL Patient
MMT Contributor

Credibility 95

« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2013, 12:55:12 AM »

Hi guys so because of a few things ive read lately I have decided to make a video to sum a fair few things up and to go over it all over again for the lazy people you don't want to read. and sorry for the camera quality it was on my phone and ive also split the video into two.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxXruX30dN8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxXruX30dN8</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XznSzMobW_I" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XznSzMobW_I</a>
SysOp
Forum Admin / Moderator
Administrator
MMT Expert

Credibility 712

« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2013, 02:06:58 AM »

Great videos Blackbear. Thanks for sharing. Much credibility coming to you. Smiley
blackbear
LL Patient
MMT Contributor

Credibility 95

« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2013, 12:24:44 PM »

thanks for sorting out the embedding sysop. hope you all enjoy the vids and learn from them.
ShortBloke
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2013, 12:34:40 PM »

Hi guys so because of a few things ive read lately I have decided to make a video to sum a fair few things up and to go over it all over again for the lazy people you don't want to read. and sorry for the camera quality it was on my phone and ive also split the video into two.

Thanks for the vids mate. We short guys have to stick together. Cheers.
OldieButGoldie
LL Veteran
MMT Contributor

Credibility 256

« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2013, 03:56:15 PM »

Impressive, Blackbear.
I admire your being so open about your LL.
You deserve a great recovery.
Rooting for you,
OBG
blackbear
LL Patient
MMT Contributor

Credibility 95

« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2013, 04:42:27 PM »

thanks for the comments guys

new update !!!

BAD NEWS IS!

BALLERINA FOOT IS A BI*TC* really struggling with it now. ice pack cause my foot is so swollen and the front of my join is murdering

good news is

I've finally stopped lengthening as the LRS has come to the end of its thread.
and I got a phone call this morning and starting Friday I will be having home visits from community physiotherapists Cheesy

so hopefully guys its all uphill from here. I expect the 2 steps forward one step back from this point on instead of the 1 step forward 2 steps back which was going on when I was lengthening.
Sweden
Current recovery level: 82% and improving.
LL Veteran
MMT Expert

Credibility 304

LL Fighter, prophet, expert, adviser, hero, LEGEND

« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2013, 04:52:14 PM »

Ballerina is a bitc*, I can attest to that!!

Starting height 173cm, now confirmed 180cm. Had surgery in India January 8 -13. Did ~7cm on tibia. Frame removal: 16 April -13. 180cm wingspan. Shrunk to 179cm as my final height. Considering femurs.
blackbear
LL Patient
MMT Contributor

Credibility 95

« Reply #33 on: December 25, 2013, 12:36:09 AM »

Ok guys new update

so guys weird thing my LRS FEMUR was clicking every so often since I stopped lengthening so I decided to put the locking nut on it. that seemed to solve it.

However! I have been told my knees are still not aligned so I have to carry on lengthening. However due to my ballerina foot I have been told to have a week off from lengthening and concentrate on my physiotherapy as my tendons and muscles need to catch up.

so next Friday they are going to put an additional "block" on my LRS system and put the adjusting bar further up so I can carry on lengthening.

peace out blackbear Cheesy

blackbear
LL Patient
MMT Contributor

Credibility 95

« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2014, 02:14:02 AM »

Hi guys ok, so I had my appointment today to have the new "block" put onto my LRS system and put the new "adjusting bar" in a new position. I hope you guys can understand this cause its a little weird to explain.

They made sure the "locking bolt" was definitely locked and removed the "adjusting bar" (the silver thing with the thread). They then placed the new "Block" at the top of my LRS rail and locked it with a "Locking bolt" then attached the adjusting bar to the top "block" and middle "block". weird thing now is that instead of lengthening the thread on the "adjusting bar" I am shortening it. so instead of pushing my leg longer it will be pulling my leg longer.

here's a picture so you can see the change.

Now the doctor said that the reason I have not got the full length the first time is because of the pins bending. but they are fine and it happens. and if my leg still doesn't reach the full length when the gap between the two blocks closes all it will mean is that they will remove the top block and put another block under the middle one and start pushing my leg to lengthen again..... sigh hope you guys understood that
SysOp
Forum Admin / Moderator
Administrator
MMT Expert

Credibility 712

« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2014, 07:24:12 PM »

Great pictures Blackbear. Thanks. I was actually just playing with a monorail fixator just like that in Dr. Rozbruch's office yesterday. They sure are great little machines.
blackbear
LL Patient
MMT Contributor

Credibility 95

« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2014, 01:28:50 AM »

Hi guys just to show you my flexation via some diagrams. I will post the ACTUAL pics of me doing this soon in case you don't quite understand the diagrams

This is my left leg and with my foot Flexation

I can not get to a 90 degree bend with my foot. I would say I can get to 75 degrees knee bent and 50 degrees knee straight with out aid

This is the physio I have to do which helps me get to 90 degrees and stretches my tendon. at this stage I can not stand or use a Zimmer frame as my LRS get in the way. However I have ordered a wider frame which I hope can get me standing again As I mainly get around in a wheelchair.

and this is my right leg with the LRS system on it. I don't really have much flexation here. I have around 5 Degrees of flexation to play around with. I know I need to get on this but both legs feel like a full time job. so its either one or the other.

The next image is me using my red judo belt to bend my knee by pulling on my foot( I don't get much additional flexation out of this) and straightening my knee by having the belt under my ankle and lifting my leg up while pushing my knee down (this does indeed straighten my leg)

Ill get the actual pics done asap as the diagrams look pants lol

blackbear
LL Patient
MMT Contributor

Credibility 95

« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2014, 01:25:05 AM »

Ok guys as promised I have the actual pictures of me doing all this and showing my actual degree of movement. looking at the pics my foot drop is worse than I thought Sad I will also be posting on my knee alignment briefly, my pin sites and the pin site care plan I am doing.

Ok so here is the degree of movement on my left foot

I know it isn't good and ive got to work harder on it. once my new Zimmer comes I am sure that will work better as my weight going through it will be much more than a medicine ball.

here is two of the main physio exercises I am doing

Here is the degree of movement I have got with my right leg.

and here is two of the main exercises I am doing to get things better.

all this is to stretch my tendons and allow me more movement. GOTTA WORK HARD BEFORE I CAN PLAY HARD OOOOOOOHHHHHHH YEA!

blackbear
LL Patient
MMT Contributor

Credibility 95

« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2014, 01:45:06 AM »

Ok guys So here is the next few bits. my current knee alignment can be shown like this. I still have some lengthening to go I think.......

Now to talk about the pin site care and cleaning. I have been taught the Kurgan method of cleaning, Which is to use gauzes and Hydrex pink and to clean my pins once per week. This is done by cleaning upwards on a pin then disposing of the gauze and then placing a new gauze with a slit on it onto the pin site and adhere it to place with either tape, my special orange clips! or my black grommets(on thin pins).

this is Hydrex pink

This is my left leg before cleaning

this is my left leg cleaned and bandaged

this is my right leg before cleaning

this is my right leg cleaned and not looking funky :S

and this is it all nice and bandaged up. me and my mother make a good team Smiley

Thanks for reading and sorry for the overload of pictures but it will help the newbies and! I don't have much else to do haha!

blackbear
LL Patient
MMT Contributor

Credibility 95

« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2014, 11:39:35 AM »

Hi guys had my home visit today off the physiotherapist. He told me off for not doing my physio often enough lol. I was doing one big lot of physio for 45 mins instead of doing it more often. He said I should be doing it 4 times a day for 25 minutes on each leg.

He gave me new exercises. One of which is on my left leg, This involved having a sliding plate on the floor and trying to slide my leg into a bending position and then straightening it. He has also told me to do straight leg rises every hour on each leg in reps of 10.

Hopefully I will one up on all my posts soon and do a video on all my physio exercises.

peace out blackbear!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Make Me Taller! The world's number one elective leg lengthening site! Come here for information about LL, things to make you taller, how to get taller permanently, Ilizarov, Betzbone, Guichet Nail, PRECICE, height growth and other height related issues. This is the number one leg lengthening forum for height seekers and people trying to become taller. It was created and run by people who have actually done leg lengthening surgery (LL).

As a community site, MMT forum thrives on people's contributions, so please feel free to share your make me taller questions, videos, photos and experiences here in this leg lengthening forum. Make me taller is open to all, but please read the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) before posting as this will answer nearly all of your questions about getting taller through surgery. Please read our leg lengthening diaries too! We hope that you find this forum useful. Cheers, SysOp.