This list is comprised of doctors that I would personally recommend to friends or family to do their leg lengthening, or that I would use to do my own leg lengthening. These doctors are recommended because in my opinion they are the best in the world. This list has been updated with the latest information and pricing for 2013. Each doctor was presented with the same questions and I have posted their responses here. This should make it easier to compare different surgeons, approaches and prices. I have vetted each doctor thoroughly and included only doctors that have a proven track record of successful LL surgeries, a number of examples of patient diaries on this site and/or a world renowned reputation. The quality of medical care you receive with each of these doctors will vary only to a small degree, but the level of comfort can vary a great deal when you are paying $15k - $17k USD for external leg lengthening versus paying $90k - $100k USD for internal leg lengthening.
There are a few doctors that are not on this list but that have patient diaries on this site. These doctors are for the most part doctors that have come to our attention more recently and have not yet proven themselves enough to be added to this list.
Please ensure that you are using the current currency when doing your sums - I recommend http://www.xe.com
as a good place to do currency conversions.
The list of questions has had some small modifications to it this year. We are moving away from the terminology "cosmetic leg lengthening" and moving towards the term "elective leg lengthening" since we have never considered this just a "cosmetic" procedure.
Please note that some doctors in the United States may be able to have US health insurance pay for some or all of your surgery depending on your prognosis. This is something to ask about during your consultation.This is the list of questions sent to each doctor - there are 16 questions:
1. How many patients have you treated for elective bilateral leg lengthening?
2. Which techniques do you use?
3. How much do you currently charge for bilateral leg lengthening on one bone section?
4. What are the lengthening limits for your procedures?
5. Do your patients need to do any preparation before for their treatment?
6. Is accommodation included in your pricing?
7. Are there any medical conditions that would prevent a potential patient from being accepted?
8. In what percentage of cases do your patients experience complications?
9. Are complications or unscheduled surgery covered in your costs?
10. Is there any insurance available to cover the patient's treatment?
11. What is your official website?
12. How much do you charge for a consultation?
13. What is the best way for potential patients to contact you?
14. Do you limit your services to people of a certain height?
15. What is your policy for people who are suffering from depression or some other mental health issue, or have suffered from it in the past?
16. Is there any other information that you would like to have included?