MMT Community
February 23, 2019, 11:18:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Leg Lengthening is NOT an option for people suffering from depression.
LL is not appropriate for people with a history of depression or mental illness - if you're on antidepressants, close your browser now - this site is not for you. Sorry! Sad

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Spine lengthening (only up to 3CM) *may* be a safe reality soon  (Read 46315 times)
MiracleGrow
Certified Member
MMT Contributor

Credibility 15

« on: March 02, 2014, 09:08:41 PM »

This would have many positive implications if true, but a lot of further research is really needed.

http://ctdru.research.southwales.ac.uk/media/files/documents/2013-09-18/swindells_mccarthy_2003.pdf

“Man cannot remake himself without suffering, for he is both the marble and the sculptor.” -Alexis Carrel

"Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference." -Reinhold Niebuhr
TorchBearer
MMT Member

Credibility 2

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 11:50:27 PM »

So the subjects were 18-40 years old, so all likely past the point of puberty. Correct me if I'm wrong but this paper claims that the height increased? As opposed to this treatment just restoring height lost due to age?
MiracleGrow
Certified Member
MMT Contributor

Credibility 15

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 12:26:24 AM »

Exactly, height actually increased. I've also read of people online claiming to have gained (or to have known someone who gained) up to 3CM. But, as the article states, the effects on the spine and its flexibility haven't been studied. This looks very promising, though, but that's just my opinion.

I'm surprised that there aren't more height-increase projects being studied by biomedical companies. I might get into this kind of research myself once I have my PhD in BioMed (still a good bit to go though  Undecided ). There are plenty of short people out there who lack the proportions and bank accounts to go through LL, but would still love to be taller. Cheaper options that can affect areas other than the legs would be fantastic.

As SysOp has said, helping people escape height prejudices and insecurities is a cause very much worth supporting (btw a big thanks to SysOp for the work he does around here). As my BME college education progresses, I'll see if I can explore any other LL innovations/alternatives and post findings here.

“Man cannot remake himself without suffering, for he is both the marble and the sculptor.” -Alexis Carrel

"Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference." -Reinhold Niebuhr
TorchBearer
MMT Member

Credibility 2

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 12:37:44 AM »

I am surprised as well, and I wish it were so. I'm headed to medical school but almost wish I could do undergrad over just to become a researcher instead and work on something height related. I suppose I can work in a lab during medical school, but I'm not sure how relevant the opportunities available to me will be. Its a shame because I am well-versed in working in a lab and majored in biochemistry.

I also really wish there were a complement to LL that would affect torso height. Its weird, because honestly with my proportions, I think I could carry an extra 6 inches on my legs really well standing and walking. However, my sitting height would probably look out of whack. The kicker is that the spine is classified as a long bone just as the tibias and femurs are. So you would think something like LL would theoretically be possible for the spine.
MiracleGrow
Certified Member
MMT Contributor

Credibility 15

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 12:58:28 AM »

I'm in the same boat as you, proportionally-speaking. My torso looks long standing up and, while my arm span is only 5 CM more than my height, I have big hands and broad shoulders and look very normal in my self-made 8 CM lifts while standing. Sitting down, though, I'm slightly, but noticeably, shorter than many people naturally my target height.

The big problem with the spine is that the nerves (and some of the most important nerves at that) run through the bones of the spine instead of around them as is the case in the legs. Breaking the vertebra would be extremely hard to do without damaging these nerves. Internal nails would be next to impossible. It would be very difficult to put a fixator on a torso, complete with pins and all. Still, you should look into spinal "growing rods" used for children with scoliosis. A modified version of those might be very promising. I think our best bet would be making the intervertebral cartilage grow somehow, maybe through the application of stem cells. Not impossible by any means, but it won't happen unless a lot of research takes place.

TorchBearer
MMT Member

Credibility 2

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2014, 01:12:20 AM »

Something I've found: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8167393

"4. Unlike other long bones of the skeleton, vertebral body epiphyses never ossify, and after the end of the growth period of life they are reduced into thin plates of hyaline cartilage which are situated between vertebral body and intervertebral disc"

I found that very interesting, considering that growth plates are made of cartilage. Wish I could interpret it a bit more, but I guess that is what med school is for.
MiracleGrow
Certified Member
MMT Contributor

Credibility 15

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2014, 01:16:09 AM »

That is true. If height were to be gained in the spine, that would be one of the best places to do it.

elvergalarga
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2014, 08:48:31 AM »

ello, my native language is not English , so I hope I can give to understand ,
miraclegrow , I like you , I am very interested in finding a medium, device , tablet or something that achieves increased torso few centimeters . my sitting height is 84 ctms , which for me ctms 1.63 is not a long torso , and not if it is short, but not long , and read the article published , and only mentions that glucosamine helps prevent the decrease stature throughout the day, or does some minimal increases in vertebral height , and just read elsewhere about glucosamine to restore the column height in some people .
so little that I have read in this forum, where often ignoring me , maybe because I can not get to understand well, you contact or contacting this Harald , the pioneer in research on increasing height.
would be very interesting that some method of increasing the torso height was achieved. I am determined to operate on the femur for 4 ctms legs because I would do more ctms do with very long legs and short torso ,
I must thank you a lot if you have some progress in the field of growth torso.

regards

PS: Find out about the  surgery vertebrae called ciphoplasty
HaraldO
MMT Member

Credibility 3

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2014, 09:12:19 AM »

I agree, that spinal disc height could be very relevant concerning a safe and effective height increase therapy. In fact there are several innovative research projects concerning spinal disc regeneration (like e.g. http://www.tetec-ag.com/cps/rde/xchg/cw-tetec-en-int/hs.xsl/7325.html ), which could be modified for the indication height increase (as far as I can see).
In which countries do you live, MiracleGrow and TorchBearer? Maybe we could find relevant research projects already during your study phase?!
Best wishes
Harald
HaraldO
MMT Member

Credibility 3

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2014, 10:07:07 AM »

Mesoblast recently coompleted a successful phase II human study concerning stem cell therapy for spinal disc regeneration:
http://www.mesoblast.com/products/orthopedic-diseases-of-the-spine/intervertebral-disc-repair
http://www.mesoblast.com/news-and-media/news-announcements

If we could offer them financial support, they may be able to modify this therapy for the indication height increase.

Best wishes
Harald
HaraldO
MMT Member

Credibility 3

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2014, 10:26:18 AM »

I also like the Setton Lab at Duke ;-)
http://settonlab.pratt.duke.edu/index.htm
http://www.pratt.duke.edu/news/duke-bioengineers-develop-new-approach-regenerate-back-discs
Best wishes
Harald
TorchBearer
MMT Member

Credibility 2

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2014, 01:52:15 AM »

Harald, I am based in the US. I am definitely interested in your pursuit of safe and effective height increase therapies. While I aspire to be a doctor one day, I will graduate college in a few months and have a long road ahead. That said, I'm not sure how helpful I can be to the initiative's goals at least right now. I definitely do appreciate your work and would love to keep updated with any progress however. 
MiracleGrow
Certified Member
MMT Contributor

Credibility 15

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2014, 05:22:34 AM »

I, too, am currently living in the United States. I don't anticipate having time for active participation in such projects for the next two years due to a busy schedule studying biomedical engineering, but, if any opportunity does arise, I will be sure to let you know. Thanks for keeping us updated and informed on your own endeavors. This community wishes you the very best of luck.

elvergalarga
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2014, 06:21:13 AM »

I think I'm invisible, nobody tells me anything
HaraldO
MMT Member

Credibility 3

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2014, 06:54:03 AM »

Dear MiracleGrow, dear TorchBearer,
it´s great to hear, that you live the USA. Most innovative biomedical research is done there. And as you surely know a lot of research work is done by students. So are you sure, that your university doesn´t have research projects, that may be relevant for height increase (bone growth, cartilage growth, tissue engineering ...)? Anyway: it would be great, to communicate with you personally by e-mail!

Dear elvergalarga,
what exactly do you want to discuss? I thought, that the additional information concerning spinal disc regeneration studies would be interesting for you, too.

Best wishes
Harald
Sweden
Current recovery level: 82% and improving.
LL Veteran
MMT Expert

Credibility 304

LL Fighter, prophet, expert, adviser, hero, LEGEND

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2014, 06:57:23 AM »

Your arms will look extremely short if you lengthen your legs AND spine.

Starting height 173cm, now confirmed 180cm. Had surgery in India January 8 -13. Did ~7cm on tibia. Frame removal: 16 April -13. 180cm wingspan. Shrunk to 179cm as my final height. Considering femurs.
MiracleGrow
Certified Member
MMT Contributor

Credibility 15

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2014, 08:27:18 AM »

Your arms will look extremely short if you lengthen your legs AND spine.

It all depends on your existing proportions. Many people have long arms, yet very short torsos. These would be ideal spine lengthening candidates. Many people have the exact opposite proportions and would do well to abstain from any future spine lengthening. Hopefully, soon, all parts of the body will be able to be safely lengthened.

upinthesky
LL Veteran
MMT Adviser

Credibility 92

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2014, 08:53:50 AM »

Is the height increase suggested by the study permanent though?

Starting Height: 165 cm
Final Height: 172 cm

Date of Surgery: January 6th, 2014
Started Lengthening: January 11th, 2014
Started Walking Again: March 21st, 2014
From Surgery to Walking: 75 days

Lengthened 7 cm with Dr.Muharrem Inan in Istanbul, Turkey with the Fitbone Internal Method.
TorchBearer
MMT Member

Credibility 2

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2014, 03:32:21 PM »

Harald, when I enter medical school I will likely participate in research, and its very likely I will join a project that could have implications for height increase. That will depend a lot on where I enroll. What email can I contact you at?
HaraldO
MMT Member

Credibility 3

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2014, 04:24:21 PM »

Dear TorchBearer,
you can contact me by e-mail at harald_oberlaender@hotmail.com
I look forward to hearing from you (and hopefully also from MiracleGrow).
We are currently also in contact with a young Brazilian student with an interest in height increase research.
So together we will hopefully be able to walk at least first steps in the foreseeable future.
Best wishes
Harald
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Make Me Taller! The world's number one elective leg lengthening site! Come here for information about LL, things to make you taller, how to get taller permanently, Ilizarov, Betzbone, Guichet Nail, PRECICE, height growth and other height related issues. This is the number one leg lengthening forum for height seekers and people trying to become taller. It was created and run by people who have actually done leg lengthening surgery (LL).

As a community site, MMT forum thrives on people's contributions, so please feel free to share your make me taller questions, videos, photos and experiences here in this leg lengthening forum. Make me taller is open to all, but please read the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) before posting as this will answer nearly all of your questions about getting taller through surgery. Please read our leg lengthening diaries too! We hope that you find this forum useful. Cheers, SysOp.