MMT Community
January 21, 2019, 06:13:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Please spread the word and invite people from other Leg Lengthening forums to join us - this is a professionally-run forum and is properly maintained and developed for our community by people who have actually had Leg Lengthening - all are welcome - there'll be no delays in signing-up either, unlike some other forums! Wink

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Femurs2014 - Internal Femurs - Dr. Mahboubian - 2014 - Growing In Cali  (Read 53976 times)
femurs2014
Femurs w/ Precise II - Dr. M - March 2014
LL Patient
MMT Member

Credibility 11

« on: March 09, 2014, 12:50:22 AM »

Hey Sysop can you start me a dairy?

Starting 170.8
Goal 178.8
Completed 179.1
OP - MARCH 6TH 2014
ROD REMOVAL & STEM CELL KNEE INJECTIONS - JUNE 4th 2015
Dr. Mahboubian Journals
femurs2014
LL Patient
MMT Member

Credibility 11

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 12:51:40 AM »

Nice Femurs 2014, congrats! You should start a diary.
Thanks Tall!
I can't pm anyone..
 Can u ask sysop to start one for me?

Starting 170.8
Goal 178.8
Completed 179.1
OP - MARCH 6TH 2014
Dr. Mahboubian Journals
SysOp
Forum Admin / Moderator
Administrator
MMT Expert

Credibility 712

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 12:56:48 AM »

Hey Sysop can you start me a dairy?

Here is your diary. Congrats on starting your journey. Smiley
femurs2014
LL Patient
MMT Member

Credibility 11

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 12:59:01 AM »

Here is your diary. Congrats on starting your journey. Smiley
Thanks Your Quick! I wish recovery was just as fast...

Starting 170.8
Goal 178.8
Completed 179.1
OP - MARCH 6TH 2014
Dr. Mahboubian Journals
femurs2014
LL Patient
MMT Member

Credibility 11

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 01:00:33 AM »

I am being discharged from the hospital right now.  I will start the journal in a couple hours when I get settled. 

Starting 170.8
Goal 178.8
Completed 179.1
OP - MARCH 6TH 2014
Dr. Mahboubian Journals
Tall
LL Hero
MMT Expert

Credibility 375

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2014, 02:09:22 AM »

Nice Smiley

TheRisingShorty
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2014, 03:56:07 AM »

Congratulations femurs!!
Wish you all the best in your CLL journey  :)
femurs2014
LL Patient
MMT Member

Credibility 11

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2014, 06:51:45 AM »

I am currently 170.815 cm - Athletic/Muscle build
Goal is 178.815 (full 8cm) using Precise II.  That would be a final height of '5"10.4
Surgery March 6th

I found this site a year ago.  I have a slight height difference between my two legs and was looking for a solution.  The difference throws my hips off and also my lower back.  So I have been going to a chiropractor to get adjusted almost every other week.  The chiropractor is the one who mentioned looking into a limb lengthening.  I also have had issues with my knees from 3 acl replacements and no meniscus.  So this is just a part of my overall surgery to improve me knees, fix height and so forth.  I played rugby a lot which is what messed up my knees.  Since I was looking at fixing the height difference anyways I decided to go the full length on precise.  I have been reading posts and recently started replying to some posts and so forth.  It has been a tremendous help to my decision and learning if the lengthening procedures and so forth.

I will go into more details about me later but for now I want to start logging all that has happened in the past few days since surgery, since it is fresh in my mind.

PRE-OPT MARCH 3rd
I flew to california on my own and checked in to the Super 8 hotel a couple miles from Dr. M's office.

PRE-OPT MARCH 4TH
Met with Dr. M.  We went over last questions and discussed goal and so forth.  After meeting with Dr. M, I then had to meet with Dr. Dardashti.  Dr. Dardashti did my physical exam and blood test just to ensure I was healthy enough to under go this procedure. 

PSYCHOLOGY EVALUATION:
This is for those of you that have had questions on the psych eval.  I met with Dr. Laudati (psychologist) on March 4th, 2 days pre-Opt.  For those of you who have had questions about the Psych exam.  From what I understood it is to make sure you are in a good frame of mind, that you understand what you are about to do, that you are not a candidate for depression.  I really didn't need to explain why I wanted the procedure or why I was doing it.  It was more so about did I seem like an individual that would lapse into depression, and also ensuring that I understood what I was about to undergo.  She really only asked me a timeline of my life from when I was born until now.  That was pretty much about it.   If you are someone that has depression this surgery is not for you and you probably won't pass the eval.  But for most this eval is not a big deal.

March 5th:
Used the day to get few final items before I lose my ability to walk.  Went on my last run.  I also bought protein shakes which was recommended by Dr. M.  I figure these are easy meals and give great nutrition.  Bought a wheel chair $120 off craigslist.  I wanted get as much stuff setup today that I could, knowing I was going to  be in a wheel chair and stuck for the next 3 months.  I also did all my pre-opt surgery paperwork at the hospital, which included another blood test.  By doing this I saved my time having to do it in the morning of surgery.

March 6th Surgery DAY!
I could not really sleep all night.  I tried watching some tv shows.  I was anxious all night (nervous and excited).  I got maybe 2 hours of sleep but that was max.  I was told to arrive at the hospital at 5am.  I got there a little before 5.  Hospital doors were closed and would not open until 5:30am.  So I waited.  Waiting of course just got me more nervous.  What the heck did you get yourself into?  I was questioning myself.  The wait just made me more nervous.  At this point I really just wanted to be knocked out already before I changed my mind.

5:30am rolled around and I was admitted.  I was put in a room where I undressed into a paper gown for the surgery.  Since I was on my own I had to check out of the hospital that I was staying at.  I brought my bags with me which they set aside and moved to my room later after my surgery.  I asked them to do a final height check as well.  Dr. M came in to say hi as we as the Anesthesiologists.  I was then wheeled to the surgery room.  I saw a black case with "Precise" written on the side, sitting on the table.  I was moved onto the operating table.  Many nurses and of course Dr. M was there prepping.  They started to play some music, and asking me questions and then - black out -…

2pm - Woke up briefly.  Nurse said welcome back and started ask me questions can't remember much as I kind of tried to look around and then fell back asleep again.  This happened a few times until around 6pm, I finally woke up and sat up in my bed. 

6pm - I did not feel any pain at this time.  I was hooked up to an IV and had a little black button that they told me to press when I felt any pain.  The button was also hooked up to the IV and gave me a dose of Dilaudid.  It had a timer on it so you could only press the button every 20 minutes or so.  Dilaudid is 8 times more powerful than morphine, but not as addictive.  My button of course became my new friend.  I called some family let them know my surgery went well.  I was not really feeling any pain at all.  I guess from some other journals I have read people were in a lot of pain that first night after surgery.  The only thing that happened to me is I couldn't eat.  Due to the anesthesia, my stomach did not hold any food.  So the small amount I did try to eat (peas and apple juice) I threw it back up.  But I did not feel sick so it wasn't that bad and I wasn't really that hungry.  I was just trying get some food in me knowing that I should eat.  Since I had an IV, I was fine not to eat that first night.  I tried to sleep later in the night but would only dose off a little for about an hour or so and then wake back up.  The nurses and staff were very very friendly and helpful to me.  They were quick to respond and quick to aid me in whatever I needed.

DAY 2: (Peeing, appetite back, PT and OT, starting to feel pain)
Through out the night since I was up most of it.  I started doing some small exercises.  I realize now that I should have just relaxed.  But since I wasn't feeling any pain and because I really wanted to make sure I didn't lose muscle or flexibility, I worked my legs out for a bit.  While laying in bed I did leg raises, bicycle, and stretching.  I don't recommend doing this, nothing bad happened to me but I didn't need to work out.  Body just needs to rest.

Early in the morning the nurse that had been checking on me all night was asking me to pee in the bottle.  I had tried several times but could not get myself to go.  He told me that if I didn't go he would need to hook me back up to the catheter, which he had taken off around 1am (a few hours earlier).  I told him I would go pee, I did not want him sticking anything up my *%&^ especially while I was awake.  Plus I know it is much better to just pee on your own.  From what I just learned catheters really take away your pee functionality.  It took me a few days to get back to peeing normal because I had one during surgery.  This has been ongoing  battle for me, just trying to pee normal.  Anyways I was determined to pee.  He came in and brought this device that measured my bladder contents and said I have about 600CC of pee in me.  I drank about 1000cc's of water really filling myself up.  Which made me have to go.  I finally went, sitting at the edge of my bad, my feet on the ground.  It took me 45 minutes sitting like that and trying to relax for it to come out. (sorry for those not interested in my peeing, but this has been my struggle post op.)  Since then I have only been able to pee by relaxing not by pushing like we normally do.

Gained my appetite back.  Was able to eat some breakfast.  I like protein shakes and had brought my own powder so I drank a few of those through out the day instead.  Dr. M came and checked in on me in the morning.  Said surgery went well, that I had strong but soft bones so i made it easier for him to drill.  He told me not to exercise but just to rest for now other than PT. 

PT - people came in and brought crutches.  It was two girls one was still training.  They wanted me to walk with crutches.  I told them that I am pretty sure I am not allowed to walk with crutches as the max weight bearing per leg is 75lbs.  They kept telling me "no, 50% of body weight each side".  Of course I went ahead but put a lot of my weight on my arms as to not mess up my rods.  Since I was hooked up to an IV, all the pressure made it back flow and I started bleeding down my arm, side of the crutches, and on the ground.  PT girl was an idiot!  I told her again that I should not be weight bearing more than 75lbs.  I weigh 190lbs so thats 95lbs each side which is 20lbs over the weight bearing limit each side.  She said she was going to check the order but was pretty sure it was 50%.  I told her I didn't care what her order said but that I will not weight bear beyond 75lb per leg.

OT - Guy came in to discuss my needs at home.  This was a good visit because we were able to figure out what my living arrangement would be back at home.  My home has stairs.  We decided that I should just remain on the main floor and avoid using stairs.  This means i need to move my bed upstairs from the lower level where i normally sleep.  We also looked at commodes or other types of toilette seating that I could use.

PAIN:
Later in the afternoon, they took away my button and wanted to transition me to just pills for pain meds.  After taking the button away.  I realized very quickly how much pain was being masked by the Dilaudid.  I asked for pain killers around 5pm.  The pain started flowing in so quick while I waited for the pain meds.  It was really the first time I started to feel pain from the surgery.  It was a throbbing pain that was just thumping and with in an hour or so of dealing with it, literally brought me to tears waiting for the meds.  I am very high pain tolerant yet this was a lot of PAIN.  From that point forward I made sure i kept on my pain meds regularly so that I didn't let it wear off again.  So far 2nd night was the most painful night combined with a fever.

The only other pain I feel is when i move my left leg.  Its a sharp jolt pain I get randomly when I move it to transfer to the wheelchair or to anything else.  Dr. M says it is most likely the edges of the femur that was broken touching each other that causes the quick sharp pain.  This makes it difficult when i transfer because it jolts me and I don't know when it is going to happen.  But I have noticed it getting better.  I figure as soon as I start to lengthen I won't have to worry about it anymore.   

As the night went on, I also started getting a fever.  At one point it was 101degrees.  The nurse said this could be from my lungs and that I needed to make sure I was using the breathing device that they gave me.  They said during my surgery I have tubes that went into my lungs for breathing.  These tubes can sometimes cause an infection.  So to prevent infections and to clear it out, I needed to breath into the device 10 times every hour.  The device is just a small handheld plastic thing with a mouth tube.  When you inhale it measures your chest strength.  I started doing this each hour throughout the night.  My fever went back down so they were right.  By morning I was back to normal.   This was for sure my worst night after surgery.

DAY 3 – (PT / Release from Hospital / Check-In to the Hotel)

Morning was not to bad.  I was saw Dr. M.  He checked my legs, felt around my thighs.  You know how doctors grab you in all the sore places asking if it hurts “Does this hurt?”  Yeah – that’s what he did, and of course it hurt.  I know he was trying to ensure that I didn’t have compartmental disease and also making sure that I was healing properly.  So I laughed it off.  I was allowed to get one more shot of Dilaudid.  Its crazy how quickly it works when they shoot that through my IV.  What was also crazy was how my IV tube was still working.  It looked like it had been through the war – the tape was coming off, blood stains all over it from the PT the other day.  Yet thankfully the nurse was able to hook me up and shoot another dose into me. 

By 3pm I was ready to leave the hospital.  Called the Nurse to let her know and she said it will take a couple hours to discharge me but she will try to get it done fast.  A family member of mine came yesterday and today to be with me and also to help me transition to the hotel from hospital.  Once I was discharged we left and went straight to the hotel.  Checked-In and then went to the room.  I was able to try the toilet for the first time but no BM yet.  So pretty much I was tired and ready for bed. 

DAY 4

Nothing special today.  I woke up throughout the night to take a pain med then back to sleep.  Peeing is getting easier but still takes some time.  Went for a drive.  It takes a bit of time transferring in/out car.  But I’m getting better at it.. 

DAY 5 – (went shopping, got Handicap placard, worked out, BM)

Still consistent on taking pain meds every 4 hours.  Went to DMV to get 6 month Handicap placard, stopped at a CVS for a little grabber then back to hotel. 

At the hotel I decided that I needed to workout it had been way too long,  Did some dumbbell exercises for just a little bit.  But it was enough to break a sweat.  It felt great!  I had to remind my arm muscles to not shrink.  I will be hitting the weights everyday now, just so I can maintain my upper body strength. 

Once back in the room, I did some leg exercises.  I would plant my feet on the ground in front of my wheel chair then slowly standup using my arms to push me up gripping the hand rails of the wheel chair.  I needed my arms to keep my balance and also to not put full body weight on my legs.  However I think this exercise is important because my muscles are decreasing quickly and I need to keep reminding them how heavy I am and try to give my muscles some type of workout.  After, I shaved for the first time, washed up, and BM.  Man it hurt but felt great afterwards.  Now I am in bed ready to go to sleep.     

Pain at this time is not too bad – its getting better each day which had me feeling hopeful.

Starting 170.8
Goal 178.8
Completed 179.1
OP - MARCH 6TH 2014
Dr. Mahboubian Journals
Tall
LL Hero
MMT Expert

Credibility 375

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2014, 07:39:12 AM »

Detailed report of the first days after surgery, it will get easier with each passing day! Smiley

femurs2014
LL Patient
MMT Member

Credibility 11

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2014, 08:01:35 AM »

DAY 6- (Muscle Activation, worked out, Nurse came by, went for a wheelchair stroll around hotel, bike machine)

Just so your wondering the things after the day is my highlights for the day.

I haven't been sleeping through the night.  I wake up almost every two hours and then take pain med (sometimes) and then try to go back to sleep.  In the morning I was completely up by 4am.  I decided I needed muscle activation therapy, so i searched online and found a MAT person. 

Muscle Activation Therapy aka MAT
For those of you not familiar with this, I will give an explanation.  A couple weeks ago a friend of mine called me and told about MAT.  Strongly encouraged me to go check it out with this Japanese guy who just moved over from Japan to the states.  So for $200 a session I was very intrigued.  Basically we have a lot of muscles in our body we forget about and stop using.  Our bodies over time only use the ones that you really push.  Your brain literally just forgets to use the other ones and they become dormant.  In a session the therapist will have you do an exercise they best you can.  Then he will touch your muscles kind of like pressure points which feels very sore.  He then would ask me to think of the muscle, that is now sore, and do the same exercise.  Of course I do the exercise and wow! - I can do way better than the first time.  This is because he caused my brain to think of other muscles that could contribute to the exercise to give better results.  You might be thinking this is to good to be true - but its not.  It literally works instantly.  He had me do a bunch of pushups with one leg in the air.  Then worked on my muscles in my back and shoulder area, had me do it again and the pushups were literally EASIER!  Even though it was the 2nd time doing them.  He had me jump as high as i could, then worked on muscles in my toes that go up my calf, and wow I jumped higher and felt more bouncy!  Also I asked about stretching!  He said stretching is also controlled by muscles.  He had me touch my feet with my hands while sitting straight legs in front.  After working some muscles in my lower back I stretched again with an instant 3 inches! it was crazy!!! I am a true believer in Muscle Activation with the right therapist.  This japanese man has years experience with the body, he is a chiropractor as well and understands the body very well.  Read more google it.  Id not care if you don't believe all this, as I don't care if you do it or not.  But I will.

...so I decided that muscle activation is what i need now to make sure i keep my muscles awake and don't lose them.  The MAT near me has two offices near me but both are upstairs no elevator.  So he is looking into me meeting him at a gym where he can have a room.  So hopefully i can get a session in on thursday(day Cool!

After breakfast I strolled by the hotel gym and was staring at the bike machines.  I figured if I could get on one of those that would be awesome and see if I can pedal full rotations.  I got on one and was able to pedal slowly - .25 miles.  Took 20 mins.  I was happy to do some kind of exercise for my legs. 

Afterwards I strolled around the hotel on my wheel chair on the sidewalk.  It was nice to feel the sun and warm air.  Yet the streets are very busy where Im at so I didn't go to far.

I cam e back to my room, got a call from a nurse that was going to come visit me at my room.  So waited for her to come.  She just did a vital check and chatted for a bit then left.  PT and OT are supposed to come by tmrw. 

Had dinner downstairs in hotel, then did a quick upper body workout.  Then back to the hotel room.

Today I slowed down the amount of pills I take to half the amount.  I feel pain at around 3-4.  But I should probably ween off taking so many pills.  I probably took about 6 where as yesterday I took 8, in 24 hr periods.  So less pills little more pain but I actually feel a little better overall. 

One thing that still bothers me is this sharp pain i get from my left leg.  It seems like the broken ends of the bone touch and then it jolts me with pain.  I never know when its coming.  But it hurts.  I starting to get used to that so it doesn't hurt as bad.  I can hear them click though.  Transferring to wheelchair, bed, and so forth is getting easier and faster.  Maybe just a couple minutes versus 5-10minutes before.

FYI - I am completely on my own here at the hotel so I don't have any help.  I am quickly learning how to get around on a wheelchair.

Starting 170.8
Goal 178.8
Completed 179.1
OP - MARCH 6TH 2014
Dr. Mahboubian Journals
femurs2014
LL Patient
MMT Member

Credibility 11

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2014, 08:03:51 AM »

Detailed report of the first days after surgery, it will get easier with each passing day! Smiley

Thanks tall... did you have a hard time just lifting your legs?  I try to lift them on their own but i can't right now.  I have to reach down and pick them up.  Is that normal?  If i could just have my legs handle their own weight that would make a difference in moving around.  They feel so week right now...

Starting 170.8
Goal 178.8
Completed 179.1
OP - MARCH 6TH 2014
Dr. Mahboubian Journals
Tall
LL Hero
MMT Expert

Credibility 375

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2014, 07:16:37 PM »

No, but I did my tibiae with the Precise nail not my femurs. Your strength will come back, just make sure to do your physical therapy.

PreciseFemurs
LL Patient
MMT Member

Credibility 4

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2014, 08:39:42 PM »

Great job!
You are much more active than me, hope you would feel better than I did.
Hang on, the pain will disappear soon.
femurs2014
LL Patient
MMT Member

Credibility 11

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2014, 08:44:39 PM »

thanks Tall and Precise!

Hey Precise if your still around I wouldn't mind meeting up.  Not sure how to PM though.  I'm here till saturday.

Starting 170.8
Goal 178.8
Completed 179.1
OP - MARCH 6TH 2014
Dr. Mahboubian Journals
Agrios
LL Patient
MMT Member

Credibility 12

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2014, 10:52:57 PM »

Good luck and stay strong!

February 2014 - Femur precice 2 with Dr. Paley
Lengthened 8cm
Healed 100%

August 2015 - Tibia precice 2 with Dr. Paley
panda
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2014, 11:26:15 PM »

Good luck on your journey!!! That's cool that you are doing your surgery in the US  Smiley
femurs2014
LL Patient
MMT Member

Credibility 11

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2014, 11:58:54 PM »

Diet -

My diet has been good.  I started eating pretty regularly a day after surgery.  Also I'm using GNC protein "Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60 Ripped".  I do about 120grams a day.  Has a bunch of extra stuff like fat burners and so forth.  But will really help in recovery.  Dr. M also suggested protein along with the nurses at the hospital.

Other than that its fruit, low carb, low fat, high protein diet.  Lots and lots of water has helped in keeping my bladder flowing.

Starting 170.8
Goal 178.8
Completed 179.1
OP - MARCH 6TH 2014
Dr. Mahboubian Journals
femurs2014
LL Patient
MMT Member

Credibility 11

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2014, 11:59:26 PM »

Thanks Agrios and Panda for stopping by!

Starting 170.8
Goal 178.8
Completed 179.1
OP - MARCH 6TH 2014
Dr. Mahboubian Journals
PreciseFemurs
LL Patient
MMT Member

Credibility 4

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2014, 04:05:43 AM »

thanks Tall and Precise!

Hey Precise if your still around I wouldn't mind meeting up.  Not sure how to PM though.  I'm here till saturday.

Sorry I kind of don't want to meet others about LL in person.

You are going back home this weekend? Having relatives taking care of you will be great!
femurs2014
LL Patient
MMT Member

Credibility 11

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2014, 04:37:54 AM »

Sorry I kind of don't want to meet others about LL in person.

You are going back home this weekend? Having relatives taking care of you will be great!

no problem!  I understand!

Yeah it will be nice to be home.

Starting 170.8
Goal 178.8
Completed 179.1
OP - MARCH 6TH 2014
Dr. Mahboubian Journals
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Make Me Taller! The world's number one elective leg lengthening site! Come here for information about LL, things to make you taller, how to get taller permanently, Ilizarov, Betzbone, Guichet Nail, PRECICE, height growth and other height related issues. This is the number one leg lengthening forum for height seekers and people trying to become taller. It was created and run by people who have actually done leg lengthening surgery (LL).

As a community site, MMT forum thrives on people's contributions, so please feel free to share your make me taller questions, videos, photos and experiences here in this leg lengthening forum. Make me taller is open to all, but please read the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) before posting as this will answer nearly all of your questions about getting taller through surgery. Please read our leg lengthening diaries too! We hope that you find this forum useful. Cheers, SysOp.