MMT Community
May 23, 2018, 01:14:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IMPORTANT: If you're new to Leg Lengthening, then Click Here! to start with our FAQs section, which contains the answers to all of the most common questions! You must read these important FAQs before posting new questions!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Should surgeons refuse to treat patients below a certain age for their own safety?
Yes - there should be an age limit!
No - it should be available to everyone!
Maybe - it should depend on the individual.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Should there be a minimum age limit for Leg Lengthening?  (Read 27346 times)
MMTA
Former Site Admin
Administrator
MMT Expert

Credibility 1036

« on: November 13, 2007, 04:37:26 PM »

Hello everyone!

I hope that you are all doing well and enjoying the run-up to Christmas as much as I am Smiley

Quite often, people ask me about upper age-limits, worrying that they might be too old for LL, although there are no upper limits in reality.

However, some surgeons I've been talking to recently have mooted a firm lower age-limit on the basis that young people often find it the hardest to cope with the rigours of Leg Lengthening.

What do you think? Should there be a a minimum age of say, 21, for people who want to have Leg Lengthening?

Let us know what you think - vote and discuss! Smiley

MMT

P.S. You can only see the results once you have voted.

KnightInExile
MMT Member

Credibility -1

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 05:06:10 PM »

Well, according to Dr. Guichet, the age limits are I believe to be from 18 to 70, but don't quote me on that. Personally, I think that as long as people are reasonably strong and healthy, especially with healthy bones, then there should be no age limit at all. Smiley
MMTA
Former Site Admin
Administrator
MMT Expert

Credibility 1036

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 05:20:10 PM »

Well, according to Dr. Guichet, the age limits are I believe to be from 18 to 70, but don't quote me on that. Personally, I think that as long as people are reasonably strong and healthy, especially with healthy bones, then there should be no age limit at all. Smiley

What about if they haven't stopped growing? Very few people will have stopped at 18 Smiley

MMTA
Former Site Admin
Administrator
MMT Expert

Credibility 1036

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 07:54:05 PM »

Interesting - the results so far are not quite as I expected them to be - let's see if it changes over time Smiley

KnightInExile
MMT Member

Credibility -1

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 09:34:57 PM »

What about if they haven't stopped growing? Very few people will have stopped at 18 Smiley

Well, yes, you're right about that. LL should only be done once the individual stops growing, of course. Smiley
MMTA
Former Site Admin
Administrator
MMT Expert

Credibility 1036

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 09:47:29 PM »

Well, yes, you're right about that. LL should only be done once the individual stops growing, of course. Smiley

Yes, although I did meet people in China who were 17 and 18 and went ahead anyway, even though they may have gone on to have a late growth spurt  Shocked

BH666
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 09:54:04 PM »

I think it depends on the individual because everyone grows at a different rate and there is no point having it done while you're still growing really because you may get to your desired height
MMTA
Former Site Admin
Administrator
MMT Expert

Credibility 1036

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 10:01:19 PM »

What about the emotional side? I've seen grown men reduced to tears by the pressure of LL - can a teenager really cope with that, on top of potentially being away from home for long period of time?

Gina
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2007, 10:04:54 PM »

Hello everyone and MMT!!!

I think there should be a age limit for LL.
I have been thinking about getting LL done for about 4 years now. I'm 25 now.
My dad had his LL when he was 46. My best friend had her LL done when she was 22.
From what I saw, my dad was NOT ready to have his LL.
Even though he was 46, he had a very HARD time. Because of him wanting his LL, my mother went through hell (excuse my language) as well as me and my little brother. I lived in the same house with my dad at that time, and he became a totally different person the day he got his Ilizarov (did I spell this correctly?).
LL changed him. He is still not the same 'dad' I used to know, and it makes me sad to even think about it.

My best friend had her LL done at a young age, 22. I visited her many times in the hospital and went to her house very often during her recovery time and treatment time.
She had a hard time, but she managed it well, better than my dad.
It was very hard for me to see my friend suffer and be in PAIN for such a long.....time.
Even though she didn't have major complications, it took her almost 2 years to fully recover and walk 'normally' again.
All her friends (excluding me) were graduated and had jobs except for her. She didn't realize this was going to happen, so after everything was over (LL), she was depressed (needed treatment and counseling) for another year or so. Plus, she missed out on so many things. Things that happen when you are in your early twenties.

I wanted LL when I was 21. My doctor told me I had stopped growing, so I did have the option to get LL done.
But I didn't do it. I knew I wasn't ready for it. It wasn't because I was immature or too young.
I wasn't 200% sure  (yes, 200% !!!) about getting LL done.  So, I decided to wait couple of years.
Now 4 years later, I am 200% sure about getting this done!!

I know I will be in pain, and I know I will suffer, but in the end I will be happier and taller!!
For the past four years,  I prepared myself for LL, 'mentally'.
I did regret (a little) not having LL when I was 21. If I had it when I was 21, I would be taller right now!!
But, I'm still glad I didn't get it done 4 years ago.

Now, I'm planning on having it done next year, 2008, hopefully.
I have the time, I have the money &  I'm ready to GO for it  !!  Cheesy

-gina-
MMTA
Former Site Admin
Administrator
MMT Expert

Credibility 1036

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2007, 10:29:07 PM »

Hi Gina!

I'm very impressed with your approach and your maturity - clearly, watching your father and friend has given you an insight into how tough LL can be - emotionally, if not physically!

Certainly, people should not do it until they have graduated and have their diploma or degree under their belt - that way, taking a year out is not so bad.

BUT, no one should ever think of delaying their studies to get LL - trust me, your studies are more important in the long run, and if you fall behind your peers, you'll take a long time to catch-up.

It sounds like you have really thought everything through and that you are ready to go - I wish you luck, and hope that you'll share the details of your journey with us here Smiley

gungho
Investigator
MMT Member

Credibility 9

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2007, 01:32:06 AM »

I feel that if we are old enough to drive, drink, vote and have sex then why not LL. It would be better to wait for the bones to stop growing of course but if someone is determined then they should be allowed.

When I was in Beijing there were children having their legs corrected - is this not the same kind of procedure? If they can cope why not an 18 year old?

Many people going to college or university take a break in between their studies to go overseas and see the world to 'mature' - so why not spend that time doing LL instead?

I understand that LL is no walk in the park. My only concern for young people is that they go in knowing that it's not a summer holiday camp. I do however believe that what doesn't kill you makes you stronger and can actually help people grow up.
TernTernTernTheNumbers
LL Patient
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2007, 06:22:25 AM »

What about the emotional side? I've seen grown men reduced to tears by the pressure of LL - can a teenager really cope with that, on top of potentially being away from home for long period of time?
I met two 18 year old westerners during my time in Beijing, and they both did poorly emotionally and as a result, physically. Stupid choices were made to go against doctors' orders and turn too fast, among other bad decisions that were made by these people with undeveloped brains. The front part of the brain that gives us judgement and decision making does not fully develop until sometime in the early 20s.

I've seen plenty of stupid stuff from older patients as well, but the young ones were stupid as a rule. I don't think they are ready to handle something like this, but they may be someday. Some fools will never be ready, but at least we can have an age limit to protect some of the potential LLers from themselves.
MMTA
Former Site Admin
Administrator
MMT Expert

Credibility 1036

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2007, 11:40:16 AM »

It's interesting that people are who are old enough to go and fight for their countries are not old enough to drink in some countries... but it is a reflection of the fact that it is very difficult to take an approach to age that works for everyone.

I can understand, however, doctors desire to exclude people who are likely to cause problems, but I think that mental health is a much more important consideration and I think putting it down to the individual is probably the way to go.

lee
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2007, 02:06:20 AM »

Is it even safe to have extensions done before your growth plates are fused?

I know it stunts growth to have internal nails pre-closure....But, can it do something worse?

MMTA
Former Site Admin
Administrator
MMT Expert

Credibility 1036

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2007, 02:16:38 AM »

I know it stunts growth to have internal nails pre-closure....But, can it do something worse?

How do you know that?

lee
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2007, 03:35:39 AM »

it says so in various drs reports on the nails...I don't have links on hand. Google iskd and contraindicated open growth plates, or disrupt growth it will come up

Also, is there a reason my bg question keeps disapearing. Don't get it
MMTA
Former Site Admin
Administrator
MMT Expert

Credibility 1036

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2007, 11:56:01 AM »

it says so in various drs reports on the nails...I don't have links on hand. Google iskd and contraindicated open growth plates, or disrupt growth it will come up

Can you find those reports please - I've never heard that before and I'd like to see where you get that information.

I also sent you a PM.

lee
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2007, 07:25:24 PM »

Sorry mt.  Cheesy Smiley
thanks for this board Smiley
lee
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2007, 10:46:40 PM »

yeah. I'll look for them....
ohmkizawa
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2007, 08:19:25 AM »

21 seems reasonable.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Make Me Taller! The world's number one elective leg lengthening site! Come here for information about LL, things to make you taller, how to get taller permanently, Ilizarov, Betzbone, Guichet Nail, PRECICE, height growth and other height related issues. This is the number one leg lengthening forum for height seekers and people trying to become taller. It was created and run by people who have actually done leg lengthening surgery (LL).

As a community site, MMT forum thrives on people's contributions, so please feel free to share your make me taller questions, videos, photos and experiences here in this leg lengthening forum. Make me taller is open to all, but please read the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) before posting as this will answer nearly all of your questions about getting taller through surgery. Please read our leg lengthening diaries too! We hope that you find this forum useful. Cheers, SysOp.