MMT Community
February 22, 2019, 10:09:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IMPORTANT: If you're new to Leg Lengthening, then Click Here! to start with our FAQs section, which contains the answers to all of the most common questions! Please read these important FAQs before posting new questions!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Leg Lengthening Speed Theory  (Read 20393 times)
SysOp
Forum Admin / Moderator
Administrator
MMT Expert

Credibility 712

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2014, 03:16:33 AM »

Sorry for veering a little off topic, but would a 3 and a 1/2 increase in BOTH the tibias AND femurs be too much? I've read that 3 inches is the limit that doctors recommend their patients not to exceed.  Would it bee too much stress on the legs and body overall?

Some doctors do allow their patients to do 8 CM (just over 3 inches) in their femurs if they are lengthening with an internal device. Most doctors recommend less than 7 CM (just under 3 inches) when doing internal or external tibia lengthening because they take a long time to heal fully. Yes people have lengthened more than this, but it is generally not recommended. It takes too long to recover from, and the risk of complications rises significantly.

One of the best and worst things about leg lengthening is that depending on the device, how much a patient wants to lengthen is significantly up to them. A doctor can recommend whatever they want, but with many devices the patient can lengthen more than the doctor recommends and their isn't anything he can do about it. This is the cause of many (but definitely not all) complications. Make sure you know what you are getting yourself into no matter how much you want to lengthen.
ReadRothbard
MMT Member

Credibility -23

WE ARE THE WALKING DEAD!

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2014, 05:09:22 AM »

Quote from: SysOp link=topic=7330. msg99326#msg99326 date=1407790448
I posted this answer to a similar question on a thread titled "sprinting".  The gist of this is that there are just too many variables to know exactly how well you will recover.  You should recovery completely (although if you have complications they will have to be dealt with first).  Some people will be exceptional:

If you are deciding on whether to do LL or not based on how well you will sprint afterwards, then you shouldn't do LL.  If you are a professional athlete and make your living with your legs, then you shouldn't do LL.  If your athletic ability is more important to you than your height, then you should not do LL. 

I do know a professional football player in Europe who did internal femur lengthening, but you should not plan on his success as a model for your plans.

This doesn't completely answer my question.  Say, if I am able to squat 350 lbs right now, will I be able to squat 350 lbs again eventually?

169 cm tall (5'7); ready to fight my way to 185 cm!
Sweden
Current recovery level: 82% and improving.
LL Veteran
MMT Expert

Credibility 304

LL Fighter, prophet, expert, adviser, hero, LEGEND

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2014, 05:46:16 AM »

This doesn't completely answer my question.  Say, if I am able to squat 350 lbs right now, will I be able to squat 350 lbs again eventually?

This is impossible for anyone to answer.

What if you get a serious complication and you can't even kneel?

Once the bone has consolidated you can start with heavy wight lifting just as before. In theory you should be able to squat 350 lbs again. In real life it's something completely different.

Starting height 173cm, now confirmed 180cm. Had surgery in India January 8 -13. Did ~7cm on tibia. Frame removal: 16 April -13. 180cm wingspan. Shrunk to 179cm as my final height. Considering femurs.
Camoflazh9306
MMT Member

Credibility 4

Waiting....

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2014, 03:49:08 PM »

Quote from: SysOp link=topic=7330. msg99330#msg99330 date=1407813393
Some doctors do allow their patients to do 8 CM (just over 3 inches) in their femurs if they are lengthening with an internal device.  Most doctors recommend less than 7 CM (just under 3 inches) when doing internal or external tibia lengthening because they take a long time to heal fully.  Yes people have lengthened more than this, but it is generally not recommended.  It takes too long to recover from, and the risk of complications rises significantly.

One of the best and worst things about leg lengthening is that depending on the device, how much a patient wants to lengthen is significantly up to them.  A doctor can recommend whatever they want, but with many devices the patient can lengthen more than the doctor recommends and their isn't anything he can do about it.  This is the cause of many (but definitely not all) complications.  Make sure you know what you are getting yourself into no matter how much you want to lengthen.

Damn, I've read some pretty crazy stories on here like Apotheosis's journey from 5'6'' all the way up to 6'2''.  I'm 5'6'' myself and I was thinking about doing 3 inches on both tibias and femurs to make me at least 6'0'', but recently I've been thinking about doing 3 and a half so that in the end I would have an extra inch.  Which methods would you recommend for someone looking to do 3+ inches on both sections?

Current height: 5'6''     Aim: 6 ft
zeo
Certified Member
MMT Contributor

Credibility 13

« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2014, 04:12:40 PM »

I'm 5'6'' myself and I was thinking about doing 3 inches on both tibias and femurs to make me at least 6'0'', but recently I've been thinking about doing 3 and a half so that in the end I would have an extra inch.  Which methods would you recommend for someone looking to do 3+ inches on both sections?

So you were just told that it is not recommended to do 3+ inches. And then you still ask how you can get 3.5 inches (~9cm) on each? Since you have like 2 posts I will assume that you haven't really been reading a lot of the diaries where people aren't even close to pre LL form YEARS after the surgery. Most of this is due to the AMOUNT that they lengthened. Dude just lengthen less. I'm 5'3 right now so I know the extra gains are tempting but you'll be happier when you are closer to pre LL forn even if you don't gain that extra cm or 2.

I just really hope that you aren't also the type of person that will go for the cheapest doctor possible on top of lengthening a whole bunch. No offense to you personally but with people new to the forum they will generally want to lengthen a whole bunch with the cheapest doctor possible. and the more they are on the forum and the more complications they read of they will adjust their goal.

Generally speaking, the more people read the more they want to go to a better and better doctor and want to lengthen a lesser and lesser amount.
Camoflazh9306
MMT Member

Credibility 4

Waiting....

« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2014, 05:08:53 PM »

Quote from: zeo link=topic=7330. msg99343#msg99343 date=1407859960
So you were just told that it is not recommended to do 3+ inches.  And then you still ask how you can get 3. 5 inches (~9cm) on each? Since you have like 2 posts I will assume that you haven't really been reading a lot of the diaries where people aren't even close to pre LL form YEARS after the surgery.  Most of this is due to the AMOUNT that they lengthened.  Dude just lengthen less.  I'm 5'3 right now so I know the extra gains are tempting but you'll be happier when you are closer to pre LL forn even if you don't gain that extra cm or 2.

I just really hope that you aren't also the type of person that will go for the cheapest doctor possible on top of lengthening a whole bunch.  No offense to you personally but with people new to the forum they will generally want to lengthen a whole bunch with the cheapest doctor possible.  and the more they are on the forum and the more complications they read of they will adjust their goal. 

Generally speaking, the more people read the more they want to go to a better and better doctor and want to lengthen a lesser and lesser amount.

No offense taken.  I've been reading up on CLL for about a year now.  I understand the risks that come with CLL even if you do the recommended amount.  It's still an elective surgery, and it isn't done to correct a deformity or fix an injury, it's done to alter your body to look the way you personally want it to.  I am not planning on going to a cheap doctor, I know better than that, and my 3. 5 inch goal is not set in stone.  When the time comes, I will take all considerations into account and I'll see what happens.  Maybe my body will only allow me to do 2, 2. 5, or maybe 3, 3. 5, or even 4.  Once again, my goal is not set in stone, and if my body begins to send me signals that basically say ''that's enough there'', I will stop where I am, but if I do feel that I can push the limit and add a little bit more, I will probably go for it.  So that's why I just asked, if I POSSIBLY DO decide to go higher, with what method would it be the safest?. .

Current height: 5'6''     Aim: 6 ft
asfastaslight
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2014, 10:07:23 PM »

No offense taken.  I've been reading up on CLL for about a year now.  I understand the risks that come with CLL even if you do the recommended amount.  It's still an elective surgery, and it isn't done to correct a deformity or fix an injury, it's done to alter your body to look the way you personally want it to.  I am not planning on going to a cheap doctor, I know better than that, and my 3. 5 inch goal is not set in stone.  When the time comes, I will take all considerations into account and I'll see what happens.  Maybe my body will only allow me to do 2, 2. 5, or maybe 3, 3. 5, or even 4.  Once again, my goal is not set in stone, and if my body begins to send me signals that basically say ''that's enough there'', I will stop where I am, but if I do feel that I can push the limit and add a little bit more, I will probably go for it.  So that's why I just asked, if I POSSIBLY DO decide to go higher, with what method would it be the safest?. .
if you do 5cm on the tibs and 5cm that's 4 inches and that isn't even the safe amounts.    6.5cm on the femurs plus 5cm would be 11.5cm so I am 165 with 11.5 I am 176.5cm close to average height in nearly every country minus the Germanic ones
ReadRothbard
MMT Member

Credibility -23

WE ARE THE WALKING DEAD!

« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2014, 06:28:48 PM »

You are too early in your recovery to know that as an absolute fact for yourself. I think it will be another year until your soft tissues have healed up to where they were before LL. At that point it will be interesting to see if your opinion has changed.

I completely agree with SysOp here. I see no reason why athletic ability can't completely recover after ll given enough time and persistent training.

169 cm tall (5'7); ready to fight my way to 185 cm!
GrowthSpurt
MMT Member

Credibility 8

« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2014, 10:04:30 PM »

Quote from: SysOp link=topic=7330. msg99326#msg99326 date=1407790448
I posted this answer to a similar question on a thread titled "sprinting".  The gist of this is that there are just too many variables to know exactly how well you will recover.  You should recovery completely (although if you have complications they will have to be dealt with first).  Some people will be exceptional:

If you are deciding on whether to do LL or not based on how well you will sprint afterwards, then you shouldn't do LL.  If you are a professional athlete and make your living with your legs, then you shouldn't do LL.  If your athletic ability is more important to you than your height, then you should not do LL. 

I do know a professional football player in Europe who did internal femur lengthening, but you should not plan on his success as a model for your plans.
I agree.  A professional athlete will probably alter some of his mechanical advantages with LL surgery, thus losing some of his competitive edge.
GrowthSpurt
MMT Member

Credibility 8

« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2015, 02:45:24 PM »

To me, the prospect of building up my quads strength again over 2-3 years after consolidation is very exciting, because I will have a concrete goal.
jay13
Lurker

Credibility 0

« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2016, 06:05:08 AM »

I am new to this site but I had a quick question and just wanted to make sure.  Is it possible to lengthen 3. 5 inches in the femurs safely and be just fine with the recovery time and all? I know they say the limit is 8cm but 3. 5 is just a little over so I should be fine right? What do you think? Thank you
nextinline34
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2016, 01:20:18 AM »

Quote from: Sweden

link=topic=7330.msg96707#msg96707 date=1399626702
I've done a lot of tests and sorry to burst your bubble here but the trauma is too big to ever be as fast or explosive as before.

Your athletic ability will NOT improve with LL.

Sweden I hate to be a dick, but probably the reason you are in that predicament, is because you changed your natural proportions.
WKS
n00b

Credibility 0

« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2016, 01:27:27 AM »

Quote from: Van der van link=topic=7330. msg97965#msg97965 date=1404305337
Hi Guys,

I am 27 year old male 176-177.  5cm tall and have moderately bowed legs and a 1cm tibia discrepancy on my right leg (basically it's 1cm shorter)

I love playing football/soccer, unfortunately due to the pain of my knees and hips I require surgery to get them straightened. 

I was hoping to get LON surgery and lengthen 3 and 2cm + 0.  5mm from correction of bowing which should get me close to 180cm

My concerns are will my athletic ability be affected after full recovery? will I notice a difference in my strides/gait?

I'm also very fit and healthy.  .  . 

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.   Thanks!

I have been reading a lot and from what I understand is that in the end(If I am not wrong you need to wait 2 years before practicing in sports again)you're most likely be able to walk/run again and preform physical exercise naturally with no problem.
Also to note being fit and healthy will help your recovery and will have a positive effect on the outcome of the surgery(so stay fit if you want to do the surgery).
but in the end a lot of people claim you will never be 100% in terms of strength and you're most likely only be 80-90% of your former strength.
So you should understand that it may fix your knee game but it will put you for a long time out of playing and may hinder your athletic ability. 
bk989
n00b

Credibility 0

« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2016, 09:25:25 PM »

Will Sysop please allow me to post.  I've read a couple of hundred pages on LL and there were some questions I was very interested in asking.
zebra11
Lurker

Credibility 0

« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2016, 04:11:52 AM »

Hi Guys,

New to the site.   Thinking about scheduling a consult with Dr.  Paley.   I have one major concern about the procedure:

Can anyone comment on how their athletic ability changed once fully recovered?

I'm sure it's different for everyone depending on many factors, but would like to hear specifically from those who compete in athletics at a moderate to high level.   I'm thinking about 8cm femur procedure with starting height of 5'5".   Thanks in advance!

wavecrasher89
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2016, 11:33:20 PM »

I'd also be interested to hear how your athletic ability changed once fully recovered?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Make Me Taller! The world's number one elective leg lengthening site! Come here for information about LL, things to make you taller, how to get taller permanently, Ilizarov, Betzbone, Guichet Nail, PRECICE, height growth and other height related issues. This is the number one leg lengthening forum for height seekers and people trying to become taller. It was created and run by people who have actually done leg lengthening surgery (LL).

As a community site, MMT forum thrives on people's contributions, so please feel free to share your make me taller questions, videos, photos and experiences here in this leg lengthening forum. Make me taller is open to all, but please read the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) before posting as this will answer nearly all of your questions about getting taller through surgery. Please read our leg lengthening diaries too! We hope that you find this forum useful. Cheers, SysOp.