MMT Community
February 28, 2017, 02:50:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Support MMT Community
News: Tough love is the best love for people considering Leg Lengthening - the truth hurts, but it's important to be realistic Wink

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  

The Make Me Taller (MMT) community forum provides free information about the only REAL way to become taller - elective leg lengthening (LL) surgery. This site contains detailed information, pictures, videos, diaries and personal accounts from people who have undergone cosmetic LL to become taller. We discuss the pros and cons of Ilizarov, Betzbone, Guichet Nail, PRECICE and other methods. Please read our FAQs first before posting and enjoy your time here finding out how to become taller! Leg Lengthening is a serious endeavor, so do your research! You can also buy MMT's new book about LL called 'Inchworm' at Amazon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Height and Proportions Discussion - Olympic Athletes  (Read 12388 times)
SysOp
Forum Admin / Moderator
Administrator
MMT Expert

Credibility 712

« on: May 08, 2014, 02:40:53 PM »

Here is an interesting comparison of two athletes shown in the study of bodies that was posted above. Here we have 5' 5" Cary Kolat and 6' 2" Amy Acuff. I've taken Amy's legs and put them on Cary's body to show what he would look like with long thin legs. Putting her legs on his body makes him about 6' 1". This is an increased of around 8", which is more than most people should lengthen.

Cary seems to have pretty short arms to start with, even for a guy of 5' 5" (in the photo above, Jennifer Parilla at 5' 1" seems to have longer arms, particularly her radius and ulna). I think if he was lengthened 6" (15 CM) to 5' 11" (180 CM) he would still look ok. At that point, he may have short arms, but he would still look better proportionally than he did at 5' 5". at 6' 1" he almost needs AL on his humerus to look normal, and then he still has very short forearms. While I think most of us would prefer to be 6' 1" with short forearms than 5' 5", I also think that the vast majority of us would prefer to be 5' 11", not have to do AL, and still look reasonably normal.

TheGhost
n00b

Credibility 0

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 03:24:27 PM »

Quote from: SysOp link=topic=63. msg96691#msg96691 date=1399560053
Here is an interesting comparison of two athletes shown in the study of bodies that was posted above.  Here we have 5' 5" Cary Kolat and 6' 2" Amy Acuff.  I've taken Amy's legs and put them on Cary's body to show what he would look like with long thin legs.  Putting her legs on his body makes him about 6' 1".  This is an increased of around 8", which is more than most people should lengthen.  

Cary seems to have pretty short arms to start with, even for a guy of 5' 5" (in the photo above, Jennifer Parilla at 5' 1" seems to have longer arms, particularly her radius and ulna).  I think if he was lengthened 6" (15 CM) to 5' 11" (180 CM) he would still look ok.  At that point, he may have short arms, but he would still look better proportionally than he did at 5' 5".  at 6' 1" he almost needs AL on his humerus to look normal, and then he still has very short forearms.  While I think most of us would prefer to be 6' 1" with short forearms than 5' 5", I also think that the vast majority of us would prefer to be 5' 11", not have to do AL, and still look reasonably normal.

Thanks for the image, it's very useful for seeing how LL affects proportions.

From first glance, he looks perfectly normal at 6'1 with no AL.  He does look better with AL but I think he can just about pull off 6'1.  If this was a bodybuilding forum and we were posting pictures of ourselves, I don't think anyone would notice his arms are short for his body, the point is that proportions are only noticeable when someone mentions them.  He definitely looks good at 5'11.  I think he also looks slightly weird because obviously they're not his legs, but if they were his legs then I think he'd look even better.  If he were wearing clothes, he'd look perfectly normal in my opinion.

Slightly off-topic but why do many seem to be against AL? Is it easier than LL in terms of pain and recovery time? And is it as expensive?
Ocean
Certified Member
MMT Member

Credibility 21

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 03:31:17 PM »

Slightly off-topic but why do many seem to be against AL? Is it easier than LL in terms of pain and recovery time? And is it as expensive?

I considered AL before, but now when I experienced LL i can easily say that I would NEVER do this to my arms.
SysOp
Forum Admin / Moderator
Administrator
MMT Expert

Credibility 712

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 03:39:40 PM »

The main reason many people are against AL is because most people don't really need it. Having longer legs makes you taller, which has a measurable benefit for most LL patients. Having longer arms doesn't have much benefit for most people.

The humerus is very similar to the femur as far as lengthening is concerned, and lengthening it is said to be similar in pain and recovery time to femur lengthening. Since most surgeons that do AL do one arm at a time, an AL patient is generally much more functional than an LL patient.

Very few doctors perform AL on an elective basis. Most that do charge the same amount for one arm that they would for one leg.
MiracleGrow
Certified Member
MMT Contributor

Credibility 15

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 05:12:56 PM »

What do you all think about the idea of having longer humeri than forearms? Would/Does it look bad on men? Can it be worse-looking than arms that are too short?

“Man cannot remake himself without suffering, for he is both the marble and the sculptor.” -Alexis Carrel

"Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference." -Reinhold Niebuhr
MiracleGrow
Certified Member
MMT Contributor

Credibility 15

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 01:23:42 AM »

By the way, Cary Kolat's proportions at 6'1 with AL look SEXY in my eyes with AL (no homo  Cool ). But I seriously wouldn't mind those proportions after LL.

“Man cannot remake himself without suffering, for he is both the marble and the sculptor.” -Alexis Carrel

"Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference." -Reinhold Niebuhr
Tall
LL Hero
MMT Expert

Credibility 374

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 04:52:56 AM »

LOL, I can't get past the fact that he's a man from the waist up & a girly man from the waist down. Smiley You should of widened his legs SysOp. Grin At least you put boy shorts on him....

yogaman
n00b

Credibility 0

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2014, 05:24:02 AM »

Quote from: Colossal-Cat link=topic=63. msg96728#msg96728 date=1399696041
Hey Yogaman,

Like those who've replied to your first post, I have to agree that you may need to consider a more realistic goal (especially given proportions).   In addition, from what I've read on MMT, AL (Arm Lengthening) is not favored by those who have undergone LL, and it is understandable given the extra cost, stretching, time and pain and lack of overall 'gain' or benefit.  

I'm not one to shoot someone's dreams down, I have no right or desire to do so.   Perhaps some before/after mockups without elevator shoes would be a good idea? With modest increase of tibia/fibia.  

Best of luck regardless! Smiley

Sorry what is the reasons people suggest not to do Arm lengthening after the limbs?
Colossal-Cat
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2014, 05:52:47 AM »

Sorry if I made out that AL was a bad thing or something you shouldn't do.

I believe Ocean even commented just before your first post. .  is that you'd have to be crazy to do AL.  Due to the cost (of time, money and discomfort) not being worth the gain for proportion cosmetically.

There are other posts in Proportions Discussion that address Sitting Height, Armspan and Proportions.  Its only my current opinion, that realistically AL is out of the picture for the majority.  Simply looking at the number of cosmetic AL cases. .  I couldn't even find one with brief searching.

Plenty of people are of the mind, that, it is bad if you do go through with LL and AL, yet sitting next to someone shorter than you, you are shorter (due to your spine/neck/head).

If you can assess that in your case, AL would improve your proportions, and you have the means, willpower and time. .  then go for it! Further investigation on your part would be best.

My opinions expressed here are just that, opinions; whether they are informed or not Smiley
yogaman
n00b

Credibility 0

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2014, 05:55:58 AM »

Quote from: Colossal-Cat link=topic=63. msg96734#msg96734 date=1399701167
Sorry if I made out that AL was a bad thing or something you shouldn't do.  

I believe Ocean even commented just before your first post.  .   is that you'd have to be crazy to do AL.   Due to the cost (of time, money and discomfort) not being worth the gain for proportion cosmetically.  

There are other posts in Proportions Discussion that address Sitting Height, Armspan and Proportions.   Its only my current opinion, that realistically AL is out of the picture for the majority.   Simply looking at the number of cosmetic AL cases.  .   I couldn't even find one with brief searching.  

Plenty of people are of the mind, that, it is bad if you do go through with LL and AL, yet sitting next to someone shorter than you, you are shorter (due to your spine/neck/head).  

If you can assess that in your case, AL would improve your proportions, and you have the means, willpower and time.  .   then go for it! Further investigation on your part would be best.  

My opinions expressed here are just that, opinions; whether they are informed or not Smiley

Great response I fully see your point of view!
SysOp
Forum Admin / Moderator
Administrator
MMT Expert

Credibility 712

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2014, 10:39:48 AM »

I've moved this discussion to it's own thread so it doesn't get lost in the 30+ pages on the "My Proportions" thread.
enZo
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2014, 03:18:30 AM »

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

Proportions has been one of the biggest things in my mind, even more than what story I'll tell about my height increase. My body is very close to Cary Kolat's and I can officially confirm that given we're about the same height (i might be 1 or 2 cm's shorter) I'm definitely going for the 5'10 or 5'11. This was very useful for me. I' like to take a photo of my self like this and ask for someone who can maybe edit and send back to me with a few different heights. But this thread and pictures have been very helpful.

Again, THANK YOU!

- enzo

You only have one life, live it to the fullest, be the best person you can possibly be.   Being short wasn't my destiny, it wasn't even meant to be like this.   I will become that person I'm truly supposed to be.   Call it surgery, call it fake, call it anything.   It will happen, it will!
raoniclegs
MMT Member

Credibility 3

"image is everything" andre agassi

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2014, 08:13:11 AM »

his torso lenght and width is enough to pulling 6"1 but his arms will lend him looking ridiculous at that height, even at 5"11, but i see him fitting perfectly between 5"8-"5 9
raoniclegs
MMT Member

Credibility 3

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2014, 08:22:28 AM »

you people stop worring about sitting height, is means very little, of my friend there are two of them who are 6"0.5-6"1 and his torsos are way shorter than mine they are like 7-8cm shorter than me when sitting besides and i bet not a single phuck was given by them, people varies a lot in torso to leg ratio, i have a 29inch leg inseam, maybe they have like 35, and they´re both caucasians like me by the way so you cant pull the "black people are long limbed" card here XD
SysOp
Forum Admin / Moderator
Administrator
MMT Expert

Credibility 712

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2014, 04:00:15 PM »

his torso lenght and width is enough to pulling 6"1 but his arms will lend him looking ridiculous at that height, even at 5"11, but i see him fitting perfectly between 5"8-"5 9

Very few people in the world notice arm length, but everyone notices height. There is always humerus lengthening for those who are completely obsessed and worried about their arms.
raoniclegs
MMT Member

Credibility 3

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2014, 04:33:20 AM »

i agree, as you stated before with henry cavill, i would never realize he has short arms or even small hands, back on topic i do not see huge benefits for hypotetically lenghten that much past average height if is gonna be detrimental for proportions, at 5"10 he would look better than 6"1, but is highly subjetive
aerys01
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2014, 12:57:35 PM »

6'1 is too much, but I think they'll 5'11 okay.  If the pants below to enter, then the belly would Longer.
microman
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2015, 07:41:49 AM »

i think even at 5 11 his arms are way too short, if i was him doing LL i'd stop at 5 9 for sure.
eric_cartman
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2015, 02:20:39 AM »

What do you all think about the idea of having longer humeri than forearms? Would/Does it look bad on men? Can it be worse-looking than arms that are too short?

How many known cases of AL do we have among those who have underwent LL? I see we have multiple LL veterans going 10+ but not many AL stories..
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Make Me Taller! The world's number one elective leg lengthening site! Come here for information about LL, things to make you taller, how to get taller permanently, Ilizarov, Betzbone, Guichet Nail, PRECICE, height growth and other height related issues. This is the number one leg lengthening forum for height seekers and people trying to become taller. It was created and run by people who have actually done leg lengthening surgery (LL).

As a community site, MMT forum thrives on people's contributions, so please feel free to share your make me taller questions, videos, photos and experiences here in this leg lengthening forum. Make me taller is open to all, but please read the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) before posting as this will answer nearly all of your questions about getting taller through surgery. Please read our leg lengthening diaries too! We hope that you find this forum useful. Cheers, SysOp.