MMT Community
January 21, 2019, 05:33:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: MMTA has written a book about about his LL journey.  Click here to buy it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alfonso - Internal Femurs - Dr. Mahboubian - 2014 - Starting My Journey In Cali  (Read 72212 times)
a1_z1
MMT Adviser

Credibility 10

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2014, 02:30:41 AM »

Don't be sorry I'm happy to answer your questions.  Dr. M will do the IT Band and tendon release during the initial LL operation.  Here is an image of the IT band

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS561US562&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=it+band+images
wow thanks.
this is not done to everyone right ?
what made him decide to do it on you sir ?
Afonso
MMT Member

Credibility 9

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2014, 09:53:20 PM »

wow thanks.
this is not done to everyone right ?
what made him decide to do it on you sir ?

Because of my 8cm goal he thinks it's wise to do it. 
a1_z1
MMT Adviser

Credibility 10

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2014, 01:26:07 AM »

Because of my 8cm goal he thinks it's wise to do it. 

Ok so how you are putting your work aside for a couple of months for the op ? Or what , I am tackling that issue also for now. thx
Afonso
MMT Member

Credibility 9

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2014, 07:21:58 PM »

Ok so how you are putting your work aside for a couple of months for the op ? Or what , I am tackling that issue also for now. thx

In this regard I'm very luck my job is primarily work from home all I need is a laptop and good Internet connection.  So the plan is take 1 week vacation and work the rest of the time.  Considering I won't be up and about my work should improve instead I suffer.
a1_z1
MMT Adviser

Credibility 10

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2014, 08:21:27 PM »

In this regard I'm very luck my job is primarily work from home all I need is a laptop and good Internet connection.  So the plan is take 1 week vacation and work the rest of the time.  Considering I won't be up and about my work should improve instead I suffer.
Nice I personally do not understand the concept of boredom anyway. I always have things to do. Boredom is fleeting...
How is your prep coming up. Any new discovers, fears, realizations...etc
Afonso
MMT Member

Credibility 9

« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2014, 03:45:21 AM »

Nice I personally do not understand the concept of boredom anyway. I always have things to do. Boredom is fleeting...
How is your prep coming up. Any new discovers, fears, realizations...etc

Agreed bored I will not be. Strangely enough I'm looking forward to being immobile for a few months.   My life is typically quit hectic I'm hoping to take this time to cross off some long overdue todos.  Nothing newly discovered but I would be lying if I said I was anxiety free.  After all there is no guarantee I will reach my 8cm goal. its a lot of money, time, and pain to only marginally heighten.  Then there is the statistically improbable and irrational fear that I will come out of this a crippled.   All this is normal it wouldn't have been a good decision if I hadn't weighed in the potential risks and rewards.
Afonso
MMT Member

Credibility 9

« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2014, 04:23:56 AM »

14 day till Dday! 

Mood: anxious, nervous, and excited all at the sametime.   As you get closer you do start 2nd guessing yourself but its all background noise.  At this point just want the surgery to be over so the commitment is absolute.

Prep Progress:  Minor set back have been fighting flu-cold all week so minimal  progress on physical activity

1. Stretching:  Was able to keep up with stretching only missed couple of days. 

2. Daily pullups  (Goal 20 pullups)  last count 5

3. Present level of fitness stats:  Same no change
*Walk 4mph on average
*Elliptical machine 30 minutes and 5 minute cooldown - burn between 350 - 400 calories 
*40 mile road bike trip with hills average speed 14mph

4.  Weight loss: Goal - under 160:    down to 164

5.  find place to stay near Dr M - this is proving more difficult than expected I'm trying to find an apartment that is: $1500 or less;  that I can rent for 5 months; is wheelchair accessible.   White elephant starting to look easier :-)

6.  Find a good physical therapist - Can only do this once I find a place. 

7.  arrange homecare service -  need place first 

8. Make a list of things I need to purchase (wheel chair, walker, Trapeze, Commode, medications, and vitamin supplements etc...)
Have the list just not 100% sure how I'm going to use all this stuff.  Not completely clear on how I will be functioning and transfering in and out of things (Bed, Toilet, and shower) reading the diaries its bad at the beginning and much better later on.  I guess that is how it will be with me as well
a1_z1
MMT Adviser

Credibility 10

« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2014, 12:37:32 AM »

Nice. yeah I bet you are nervous and anxious. THAT mixture makes me feel alive lol
Wow . We sort of the same age. I think after PT and training at home not much time will be left really, make be some reading you know...
motivado1
MMT Member

Credibility 4

« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2014, 02:21:17 AM »

Hi Alfonso, I am one of Dr.  M's patients who just had bilateral femurs done early last month.   I live in CA and am around the same age as you.   Very much into athletics as well, so we already have a lot in common haha.   I've been maintaining a hand-written diary, but haven't been able to get started with transcribing it to the forum yet.   Do you know if there's a simple way of starting your own diary, or should I just request my good man sysop to start it up for me?  Let me know if you have any specific questions.   

Being around 1 mo post op, I can tell you (regardless of what kind of shape you're in) that the first 2 weeks are pretty brutal in terms of: immobility from swelling, pain, loss of lower body muscular strength/range of motion, difficulty having the first bowel movement, etc.   The commode, walker, wheelchair (short-term--I only used going from the hospital bed to the car) are all critical items to have.   You want to use the walker primarily.   It's very important to get as close to full-bearing walking as possible.   Of course the precise2 has the wt limit; however, if you're wt is fairly evenly distributed at all times, you can get very close to simulating normal gait (just be able to support yourself at all times).   I started out weighing ~152lbs, then I dropped ~10lbs (eating mostly protein/low carb diet initially) and now I'm climbing back to ~147lbs.   Anyway, I'm looking forward to having my own diary set-up soon, so that I can share my experiences during this challenging "project" we've gotten ourselves into haha.   Best wishes on your upcoming procedure!--thanx     
SysOp
Forum Admin / Moderator
Administrator
MMT Expert

Credibility 712

« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2014, 03:13:31 AM »

Just say go and I will start one for you.
motivado1
MMT Member

Credibility 4

« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2014, 03:52:43 AM »

That would be great--thank u
Afonso
MMT Member

Credibility 9

« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2014, 10:58:44 AM »

Hi Alfonso, I am one of Dr.  M's patients who just had bilateral femurs done early last month.   I live in CA and am around the same age as you.   Very much into athletics as well, so we already have a lot in common haha.   I've been maintaining a hand-written diary, but haven't been able to get started with transcribing it to the forum yet.   Do you know if there's a simple way of starting your own diary, or should I just request my good man sysop to start it up for me?  Let me know if you have any specific questions.   

Being around 1 mo post op, I can tell you (regardless of what kind of shape you're in) that the first 2 weeks are pretty brutal in terms of: immobility from swelling, pain, loss of lower body muscular strength/range of motion, difficulty having the first bowel movement, etc.   The commode, walker, wheelchair (short-term--I only used going from the hospital bed to the car) are all critical items to have.   You want to use the walker primarily.   It's very important to get as close to full-bearing walking as possible.   Of course the precise2 has the wt limit; however, if you're wt is fairly evenly distributed at all times, you can get very close to simulating normal gait (just be able to support yourself at all times).   I started out weighing ~152lbs, then I dropped ~10lbs (eating mostly protein/low carb diet initially) and now I'm climbing back to ~147lbs.   Anyway, I'm looking forward to having my own diary set-up soon, so that I can share my experiences during this challenging "project" we've gotten ourselves into haha.   Best wishes on your upcoming procedure!--thanx     

Hey Motivado1, thanks for the advise. Happy to hear from someone similar and look forward to reading your diary.  As sysop said all I did is ask him to start a page. So a month in how are you feeling?  Is your goal 8CM?
Afonso
MMT Member

Credibility 9

« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2014, 10:11:09 PM »

Tomorrow 9/18/14 is Dday I'm all set and ready to get this started!! From a physical and mental standpoint I'm in good shape besides the normal
anxieties that goes along with surgery.

sorry I haven't posted anything recently been very busy getting everything ready here in LA.  Lesson learned its very
hard to get a place that is temporary, wheelchair accessible and furnished.  Ultimately I had to forget my budget and ended up getting a place in a nice condo building with an elevator
and furnished it myself with the help of the, Salvation Army, Craigslist, Walmart, and Ikea.    with a little bit of smart shopping paid well under what it would cost to rent everything. 

My next post will be after  surgery I promise will keep the cursing and whining down to a minimal - or at least I will try:-)
Maymetaller
LL Patient
MMT Member

Credibility 5

« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2014, 11:03:34 PM »

Goodluck ! Wish you nothing but the best !
Tall
LL Hero
MMT Expert

Credibility 375

« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2014, 04:49:09 AM »

God bless, Bro!!!

Lex
MMT Contributor

Credibility 5

« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2014, 06:47:34 PM »

Good luck... My friend ..... Wink
a1_z1
MMT Adviser

Credibility 10

« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2014, 07:42:27 PM »

Cant wait to hear about your progress
Afonso
MMT Member

Credibility 9

« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2014, 05:40:35 PM »

Thank you everyone for the words of encouragement wow what a journey so far!!

Operation Day:  You walk into the hospital at 5:30 AM and get registered and taken into a pre-operation Room.  You are put on a gurney half naked as your medical team swarms around poking and asking questions.  If it wasn't for the nervousness of whatís about to happen you feel quite special with all the attention.  Iím serious when I say team you have an anesthesiologist, surgeon, operating nurse, and another half dozen other medical personal all focusing on breaking your legs.  Once all the necessary needles have been attached and administered you are wheeled into the operating room. The anesthesiologist walks in and starts his countdown and its lights out.  Itís amazing how hard and fast youíre out the next thing you remember is waking up in your hospital room attached to an IV and catheter up your penis.  The heavy duty pain killers they inject directly through your IV ensures you donít feel a thing but it does feel like a 2 ton truck is parked on your legs.  This day your only job is to meet your post operation team and feel as comfortable as possible.

Day 1:  This is when you start questioning your sanity for doing this and experience some of the most painful and uncomfortable moments of your life.  Physical therapy(PT) starts day 1 and you canít imagine the pain that comes with each slight move and step.  At the end of my first PT session I serious doubts I would every walk again and if there was anyone in this world that could make me do another PT session.  The other new for the day was learning how to urinate into a urine bottle.  To get this right you really have to get your blather aligned just right with the bottle.  This took several tries before I could get a solid blather movement.   The good news for the day Dr M came in a told me the surgery was successful and everything look good. 

Day 2:  PT is getting better I was able to transfer from the bed to the wheel chair without wanting to kill everyone in the room.  You really just have to keep pushing yourself that is the only way your mobility will come back.  With a clean bill of health from the hospital and Dr M was released today.  To get home I rented a van that transported me in a wheelchair for about $100.  Worth every penny I have a sports car and couldnít imagine even attempting to navigate getting into my car.  For the day only experienced pain when moving. 

Recommendations
Strong upper body strength is a must itís the only way PT is even slightly tolerable.
Weight below 150 - I didnít do a great job at this it would have helped being under 150 to avoid the nervousness of passing the 150LB weight limit with Precice II.
Family and/or friends - I have my stepmom with me which is really like my mother and couldn't imagine trying to do this without someone being with me every step of the way.   
Maymetaller
LL Patient
MMT Member

Credibility 5

« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2014, 06:54:20 PM »

Congratulations Alfonso! The next week will be hell but don't worry after that its pretty much smooth sailing! Sounds like you did a lot better than I did with PT lol my second session I was crying for 20 minutes straight from the pain lol... I hope everything works out perfectly for you!
Afonso
MMT Member

Credibility 9

« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2014, 11:54:56 PM »

Congratulations Alfonso! The next week will be hell but don't worry after that its pretty much smooth sailing! Sounds like you did a lot better than I did with PT lol my second session I was crying for 20 minutes straight from the pain lol... I hope everything works out perfectly for you!

Thanks but don't be so sure I'm doing better at PT I'm inventing new curse words as we speak - painful stuff!! Not looking forward to the next week but I know its one day at a time from here on.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Make Me Taller! The world's number one elective leg lengthening site! Come here for information about LL, things to make you taller, how to get taller permanently, Ilizarov, Betzbone, Guichet Nail, PRECICE, height growth and other height related issues. This is the number one leg lengthening forum for height seekers and people trying to become taller. It was created and run by people who have actually done leg lengthening surgery (LL).

As a community site, MMT forum thrives on people's contributions, so please feel free to share your make me taller questions, videos, photos and experiences here in this leg lengthening forum. Make me taller is open to all, but please read the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) before posting as this will answer nearly all of your questions about getting taller through surgery. Please read our leg lengthening diaries too! We hope that you find this forum useful. Cheers, SysOp.