MMT Community
January 21, 2019, 05:33:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS! Please make sure that you only post general questions on the 'General Questions' board or you'll get a lot of flames - and make sure you read the FAQs and DIARIES first Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alfonso - Internal Femurs - Dr. Mahboubian - 2014 - Starting My Journey In Cali  (Read 72213 times)
Afonso
MMT Member

Credibility 9

« Reply #240 on: April 08, 2015, 07:17:28 PM »

The Guichet pic in your diary, courtesy of his relentless promotor. Ask that multi-faced MiracleGrow/Taller that has choked up now. They started a thread for it on The Troll Forum:

Thank you for making me aware of this I posted a comment confirming I am a Dr. M patient and consider him competent.  
Afonso
MMT Member

Credibility 9

« Reply #241 on: April 08, 2015, 07:25:08 PM »

Hi Alfonso,

R u done with ur ll?
how difficult was the consolidation stage in comparison to lengthening stage?
Since the distraction stage is much harder than I had anticipated, I'm just curious and would like to prepare myself better for the consolidation stage.  Any thoughts? Thank u!

Hi Siguy745, I was done with LL on 12/15/2014 - lengthened 8cm.  The consolidation stage is much less painful and sleepful than the detraction phase.  The biggest problem for me during consolidation was my expectations.  I expected to be more mobile than I am.  My blog has all the details.  The biggest take away is to keep you expectations low and physical therapy is still needed after LL. 
siguy745
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« Reply #242 on: April 08, 2015, 10:22:07 PM »

Hi Siguy745, I was done with LL on 12/15/2014 - lengthened 8cm.  The consolidation stage is much less painful and sleepful than the detraction phase.  The biggest problem for me during consolidation was my expectations.  I expected to be more mobile than I am.  My blog has all the details.  The biggest take away is to keep you expectations low and physical therapy is still needed after LL. 

Thanks for replying back Alfonso.  I did read ur whole diary and u really have a fantastic attitude about the whole thing!  I aree with u 100% with sleep deprivation and I can definitely relate to ur diary as I am going through it now.  Ur diary is very well written and informative. I just wanted to know how much mobile I can be during the consolidation stage but u just confirmed for me that I won't be very mobile for another few more months after the lengthening is done.  Whew! this thing feels like a lot longer than the number of days in my head.  I just hope that I won't lose my health being like this for so many months.  I miss and look forward to do mundane things like walking to the grocery store to get dinner ready....  I will not take mundane things for granted once this thing is over!

GrowthSpurt
MMT Member

Credibility 8

« Reply #243 on: April 10, 2015, 11:43:24 PM »

Hi,

I did precise2 femur LL in September and I noticed my ass 3 months ago when I started standing in front of the mirror.  It really was a scary sight (the curve was gone and the skin was literally hanging with lots of ripples)!

Good news is, it came back to its normal size within 2-3 months.  I originally used a muscle stimulator (not only for the ass but mainly on the weakened adductor muscles) and then started exercises (in terms of butt, mainly chair-kicks which target these particular muscles).  Eventually, I started cycling and casual walking and that did the job very fast.

So, no worries it comes back within a few months either with intensive exercising (for somewhat faster recovery), or by simply going back to casual activities involving walking, cycling, etc. 
I agree with you! That first sight of your ass in the mirror scares you s***less! I can't wait to get back to working on my ass.
Afonso
MMT Member

Credibility 9

« Reply #244 on: April 11, 2015, 03:52:29 PM »

Thanks for replying back Alfonso.  I did read ur whole diary and u really have a fantastic attitude about the whole thing!  I aree with u 100% with sleep deprivation and I can definitely relate to ur diary as I am going through it now.  Ur diary is very well written and informative. I just wanted to know how much mobile I can be during the consolidation stage but u just confirmed for me that I won't be very mobile for another few more months after the lengthening is done.  Whew! this thing feels like a lot longer than the number of days in my head.  I just hope that I won't lose my health being like this for so many months.  I miss and look forward to do mundane things like walking to the grocery store to get dinner ready....  I will not take mundane things for granted once this thing is over!

Hi Sigu745,  when did you do your surgery?  Like you my expectations of how long this would take were completely wrong.  When I first started researching LL and Precice II I read a timeline that I took to heart from Dr Paley that said 3 months lengthening / 4th month walking / 6 month high athletic ability.  I'm sure this timeline works for some but probably not a 40 something.     I'm approaching month 7 and can walk but not completely normal.  That said I have reset my expectations.  Like your comment about appreciating the mundane - so true!!  I will throw a party the day I can bend down to pick something off the floor without heavy contemplation and possible trip to the ER.   
siguy745
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« Reply #245 on: April 11, 2015, 09:41:13 PM »

Hi Sigu745,  when did you do your surgery?  Like you my expectations of how long this would take were completely wrong.  When I first started researching LL and Precice II I read a timeline that I took to heart from Dr Paley that said 3 months lengthening / 4th month walking / 6 month high athletic ability.  I'm sure this timeline works for some but probably not a 40 something.     I'm approaching month 7 and can walk but not completely normal.  That said I have reset my expectations.  Like your comment about appreciating the mundane - so true!!  I will throw a party the day I can bend down to pick something off the floor without heavy contemplation and possible trip to the ER.   

7 months after the surgery, you still cannot walk normally?  Wonder if it is our age or it takes that much time for others to walk normally too.  I began lengthning Feb. 22n, 2015.  Based on what I read here, I calculated about 6 months before I start walking normally but I can/may be wrong.  I'm also 40 something so I just hope that it won't take forever to get back to my life. 
If u don't mind, can u describe ur physical therapy?  I've read that pt is critical but for me, I don't see how?  I have pt once a week but I don't see how it is absolutely necessary.  There is limit to what u can do once u cannot walk.  And I stretchy and move my legs up and down which I can do without pt.  I do prone knee flexion, hill slide, prone lying, knee extension, knee flexion..... these can be done without pt.  So I don't understand why people say pt is everything.  Am I missing something? Does pt become moe important during the consolidation stage?
I don't have pt that is experienced with LL so I'm little lost here. 
siguy745
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« Reply #246 on: April 11, 2015, 09:55:42 PM »

I agree with you! That first sight of your ass in the mirror scares you s***less! I can't wait to get back to working on my ass.

I purposely have not looked at my rear ends. I simply am not prepared for the sight because I know I'll break down.  I'm not the only ller that is on my butt majority of the time, right?  It is taking a toll....
a1_z1
MMT Adviser

Credibility 10

« Reply #247 on: April 11, 2015, 11:01:59 PM »

7 months after the surgery, you still cannot walk normally?  Wonder if it is our age or it takes that much time for others to walk normally too.  I began lengthning Feb. 22n, 2015.  Based on what I read here, I calculated about 6 months before I start walking normally but I can/may be wrong.  I'm also 40 something so I just hope that it won't take forever to get back to my life. 
If u don't mind, can u describe ur physical therapy?  I've read that pt is critical but for me, I don't see how?  I have pt once a week but I don't see how it is absolutely necessary.  There is limit to what u can do once u cannot walk.  And I stretchy and move my legs up and down which I can do without pt.  I do prone knee flexion, hill slide, prone lying, knee extension, knee flexion..... these can be done without pt.  So I don't understand why people say pt is everything.  Am I missing something? Does pt become moe important during the consolidation stage?
I don't have pt that is experienced with LL so I'm little lost here. 

u bring up an interesting point. I was told by a NY doctor that I can do PT myself BUT if he sees that I am not flexible enough on my scheduled visits than he will 'force' me to get PT from someone. The exercises that he showed me were basic in the sense that one can do them alone. All that, I suppose, is required is to push yourself sufficiently.
 I am also looking for an answer to this myself.
siguy745
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« Reply #248 on: April 11, 2015, 11:10:21 PM »

u bring up an interesting point. I was told by a NY doctor that I can do PT myself BUT if he sees that I am not flexible enough on my scheduled visits than he will 'force' me to get PT from someone. The exercises that he showed me were basic in the sense that one can do them alone. All that, I suppose, is required is to push yourself sufficiently.
 I am also looking for an answer to this myself.

Dr. R has a pamphlet with photos of the activities I'm supposed to do and I can do them all on my own.  Many Paley's patients and others talk about pt but I can't seemed to picture what the pt does for llers while they cannot walk and r on sitting positions or lying down.  It's not like the pt holding patien's legs and stretching or pushing for less than half hour a day will do any significant good if that's what they do.  I'm very puzzled by this.  I've done pt alone and last time the doc thought I was extremely flexible and recommended me to do 3 inches while I'm hesitant to go that far.  In fact, I have pt come once a week and it is a rather chore for me having to have someone confirm what I'm doing is right because when they are late with the schedule, it effects my schedule doing precise and eating lunch.  For me, it's rather a hassle to have pt. 
I'd really appreciate if someone ll patient can be more specific in describing what the experience pt do for the patients.  I'm very interested in learning.  So plese do participate if anyone is willing to share.

YashAryan
Lurker

Credibility 0

« Reply #249 on: April 12, 2015, 05:11:26 PM »

Wow, thanks for the detailed breakdown of the costs.  I guess I'll set aside 75k for the whole thing. . .
How's your athleticism? Is it 'never like before' when you do this thing?
I'm asking because I'm interested in entering martial arts after the surgery recovery.  Just wanna how your experience was/is.  Do you think I still can?

Making the external match the internal.
a1_z1
MMT Adviser

Credibility 10

« Reply #250 on: April 13, 2015, 12:38:29 AM »

Dr. R has a pamphlet with photos of the activities I'm supposed to do and I can do them all on my own.  Many Paley's patients and others talk about pt but I can't seemed to picture what the pt does for llers while they cannot walk and r on sitting positions or lying down.  It's not like the pt holding patien's legs and stretching or pushing for less than half hour a day will do any significant good if that's what they do.  I'm very puzzled by this.  I've done pt alone and last time the doc thought I was extremely flexible and recommended me to do 3 inches while I'm hesitant to go that far.  In fact, I have pt come once a week and it is a rather chore for me having to have someone confirm what I'm doing is right because when they are late with the schedule, it effects my schedule doing precise and eating lunch.  For me, it's rather a hassle to have pt. 
I'd really appreciate if someone ll patient can be more specific in describing what the experience pt do for the patients.  I'm very interested in learning.  So plese do participate if anyone is willing to share.

So when the PT is present he does not really hold and push your leg or something like that ?/ that is a suprise.
I figure if the doc says that you really do not need PT than I will go with that. Knowing me, my fear really is that I will over do it ...just push myself too much. Any thoughts on that siguy , how much is enough ?
siguy745
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« Reply #251 on: April 13, 2015, 04:51:50 PM »

So when the PT is present he does not really hold and push your leg or something like that ?/ that is a suprise.
I figure if the doc says that you really do not need PT than I will go with that. Knowing me, my fear really is that I will over do it ...just push myself too much. Any thoughts on that siguy , how much is enough ?

I've had four different PTs.  I tried different ones to see if I was in good hands. None had ll patients but still somewhat competent. PTs helped me with certain tips so in that respect, they were helpful but as for doing the exercises, it was all me doing it on my own.  They just tell me but don't do them with me.  So far, whatever the doc told me is right but since this site is all about how important PT is, I was curious and concerned if I wasn't getting the right PT so I posted the question here.  As for you, I wouldn't worry about doing too much for yourself.  Trust me, ur days will be filled with rests, eating, moving around and constant mild stretches, u won't have the stamina to over do it to ur body.  Btw, when r u actually doing ll?
a1_z1
MMT Adviser

Credibility 10

« Reply #252 on: April 13, 2015, 05:54:26 PM »

I've had four different PTs.  I tried different ones to see if I was in good hands. None had ll patients but still somewhat competent. PTs helped me with certain tips so in that respect, they were helpful but as for doing the exercises, it was all me doing it on my own.  They just tell me but don't do them with me.  So far, whatever the doc told me is right but since this site is all about how important PT is, I was curious and concerned if I wasn't getting the right PT so I posted the question here.  As for you, I wouldn't worry about doing too much for yourself.  Trust me, ur days will be filled with rests, eating, moving around and constant mild stretches, u won't have the stamina to over do it to ur body.  Btw, when r u actually doing ll?

Hopefully in April 2016, since before that it will too cold and I am susceptible to allergies in cold weather, I am really aiming for that. One of my main issues is to take like 6 months off just incase I can not do a thing. My work is half on the field (meetings etc) and half infront of the phone and computer. But worst case is that I just cant do a thing for like 6 months. Also arranging living in a place  that is convenient for a LL patient.

My worst fear in not really permanent injury (cause I never really heard of that) but not being able to go to the 8 cm mark. Why go through all this and find out I cant go to the max allowed. I am ok with 85%- 90% of my current leg ability (as far as sports).

Since I have some time, I am making sure I get this done right. I appreciate your input ( and others on this forum).

siguy745
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« Reply #253 on: April 13, 2015, 09:28:36 PM »

Hopefully in April 2016, since before that it will too cold and I am susceptible to allergies in cold weather, I am really aiming for that. One of my main issues is to take like 6 months off just incase I can not do a thing. My work is half on the field (meetings etc) and half infront of the phone and computer. But worst case is that I just cant do a thing for like 6 months. Also arranging living in a place  that is convenient for a LL patient.

My worst fear in not really permanent injury (cause I never really heard of that) but not being able to go to the 8 cm mark. Why go through all this and find out I cant go to the max allowed. I am ok with 85%- 90% of my current leg ability (as far as sports).

Since I have some time, I am making sure I get this done right. I appreciate your input ( and others on this forum).

u have a realistic expectation since u r not looking for 100% original mobility although I'm hoping this can be possible with persistent pt after the ll procedure. 6 month timing seems to be also realistic for ll procedure. I thought doing it in winter months would be bad but it could be better because u can avoid cabin fever.  with this beautiful weather, I can't wait to go out but i'm stuck in my room.  if u do it, say in october, the whole winter months, u can concentrate on ll and by the time u walk, the weather would be nice.  also, I just bought this heat pack which is absolutely wonderful and probably great for winter months.  heat pack to relax muscles and fall asleep hugging.  it replaces muscle relaxant meds like barclefen. 8cm is doable but i'm not interested.  My aim is to be close to be normal not to look good in appearance wise. As long as i'm not a 4th grader height, there is no difference for 2.5 and 3 inches for me.  But u can do it.  I do think that it's between 2.5 to 3 inch mark that's where one begins to question, to continue or to stop.  now that i'm doing it, I can understand that debate.  Well, I wish u luck whatever u decide to do.
siguy745
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« Reply #254 on: April 13, 2015, 10:57:57 PM »

hey, just wanted to share a good news here.
I noticed that the walker seemed to be low so I asked my husband to raise it just now.  I also asked him if I looked taller, and he said "no."  So, I asked my 10 year old to come over and stand next to me in front of the mirror and wow, I'm taller than her!  I was slightly shorter than her before ll.  I don't know what to say!  And I'm not even done lengthening...
GrowthSpurt
MMT Member

Credibility 8

« Reply #255 on: April 17, 2015, 03:56:29 AM »

I believe physical therapists and trainers are somewhat obsessed with stretching for stretching's sake. That said, I am now able to do things I couldn't before, like putting on my socks. Was that the PT, or is it my body just recovering, or perhaps both. My theory is that my quads and hams will adapt to the lengthening at their own pace. However, I do like to go to my PT because there's a bike and a leg extension and leg curl. After that I do squats for the glutes and quads, and some other exercises for the glutes. I want to be as ready as possible to walk when I get the okay
GrowthSpurt
MMT Member

Credibility 8

« Reply #256 on: April 17, 2015, 03:59:43 AM »

Hey Alfonso, I know you're not on the forum much anymore, but wondered how you're doing. I'm consolidating at 2.4"  --couldn't reach the whole 3" because of this damn right leg which protested loudly every time we attempted more lengthening. What a disappointment
siguy745
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« Reply #257 on: April 17, 2015, 01:35:09 PM »

I believe physical therapists and trainers are somewhat obsessed with stretching for stretching's sake. That said, I am now able to do things I couldn't before, like putting on my socks. Was that the PT, or is it my body just recovering, or perhaps both. My theory is that my quads and hams will adapt to the lengthening at their own pace. However, I do like to go to my PT because there's a bike and a leg extension and leg curl. After that I do squats for the glutes and quads, and some other exercises for the glutes. I want to be as ready as possible to walk when I get the okay

I'm having a new pt over today possibly, might ask questions about doing squats which u mentioned.
siguy745
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« Reply #258 on: April 17, 2015, 07:55:08 PM »

hi growthspurts,

just noticed here that u said could not put ur socks on before.  what do u mean? how do u mean?  u were stiff enough that u could not put on socks?  If this is the case, when? at what week?  during legnthening?
Afonso
MMT Member

Credibility 9

« Reply #259 on: April 17, 2015, 09:40:38 PM »

Siguy745,  sounds like you have a good handle of how to do stretching.  I valued PT not so much on what exercises to do but how to do them.  I remember during my Lengthening phase my PT went to vacation for two weeks when he came back I could tell the difference in the quality of stretching between assisted and not.  Doing it solo as much as I wanted to push myself I just could reach the caliber of having a PT push and help stretch. 
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Make Me Taller! The world's number one elective leg lengthening site! Come here for information about LL, things to make you taller, how to get taller permanently, Ilizarov, Betzbone, Guichet Nail, PRECICE, height growth and other height related issues. This is the number one leg lengthening forum for height seekers and people trying to become taller. It was created and run by people who have actually done leg lengthening surgery (LL).

As a community site, MMT forum thrives on people's contributions, so please feel free to share your make me taller questions, videos, photos and experiences here in this leg lengthening forum. Make me taller is open to all, but please read the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) before posting as this will answer nearly all of your questions about getting taller through surgery. Please read our leg lengthening diaries too! We hope that you find this forum useful. Cheers, SysOp.