MMT Community
January 21, 2019, 05:32:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Check out the new photos in the Proportions section, which include photos and videos of a lady who lengthened by a full 12cm walking and stretching, and a guy who did 8.8cm taking his first steps! Shocked Click Here!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Motivado - Internal Femurs - Dr. Mahboubian - 2014 - Motivated To Grow  (Read 24832 times)
SysOp
Forum Admin / Moderator
Administrator
MMT Expert

Credibility 712

« on: September 13, 2014, 02:41:26 PM »

Motivado has asked me to start a diary for him for his femur lengthening with Dr. Mahboubian. Congrats on starting your journey. Smiley
MiracleGrow
Certified Member
MMT Contributor

Credibility 15

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 02:57:43 PM »

Welcome to the forum, Motivado! I hope all's going well, and that the rest of your LL journey will be smooth sailing. I look forward to hearing more from you soon.

ďMan cannot remake himself without suffering, for he is both the marble and the sculptor.Ē -Alexis Carrel

"Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference." -Reinhold Niebuhr
motivado1
MMT Member

Credibility 4

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 01:34:54 AM »

Quote from: MiracleGrow link=topic=7697. msg100181#msg100181 date=1410620263
Welcome to the forum, Motivado! I hope all's going well, and that the rest of your LL journey will be smooth sailing.  I look forward to hearing more from you soon.

Thank you MiracleGrow.   All is going well at the moment.   I am working on a relatively lengthy post to get everyone up to speed with how things have gone for me thus far.   Should be up by tomorrow (possibly even tonight).   Thanx 
motivado1
MMT Member

Credibility 4

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 10:00:49 PM »

Stats:
Starting weight: 152lbs
Current weight: 147lbs
Starting height: 5'8"3/4 (174cm)
Current height: 177cm
Goal: anywhere b/n: 179-181cm (depends on what my body will tolerate) 

Hey Guys, I had bilateral femurs done by Dr.  M on 8/7/14, been keeping a hand-written journal but late on transcribing to the forum.   First of all, Iím very happy to learn new/share information with such a small group of unique individuals.   In general, Iíll try to be concise with what I post.   I can always go into more detail if needed.   This first post will be longer since I have a lot to catch up on.   So hereís the abbreviated version of my story so far:

My background:
I was never really bothered too much growing up by (the majority of) my friends being taller than myself (e. g.  6ft, 6í3Ē, 6í5Ē you get the idea).   Not till my mid-20s did I start to dwell on wanting to be taller/have an overall larger frame.   Martial arts gave me a confidence in knowing that I was still very capable of dealing with much larger individuals with speed/technique/etcóso in part, knowing that, is what I used to make myself feel better.   My father was ~5í10Ē, maternal grandfather ~5í7Ē; I ended up somewhere between those 2 heights.   These are the 2 in my gene pool that I see the majority of my traits derived from.   

I am very goal oriented, and always looking for ways of improving myself.   I have reached many of my goals in life:  great gf, great career working in healthcare, financially stable, healthy, etc.   Came from a middle-class family, the few friends/family that know about this ďadventureĒ were extremely surprised that I would even think of doing something like this.   For me, this was (is) a huge gamble (as for all of us).   Itís a calculated risk.   If it works out as plannedóthe rewards are tremendous; if not, then Iíll deal with the issues if/when they arise.   So far, I am very happy with my decision.   Itís almost surreal to look in the mirror and see the changes/increase in height already.   

Hospital experience:
So like many have mentioned in their diaries, the first 2 wks were some of the most difficult Iíve ever experienced.   The level of swelling in your thighs could easily transition into a compartment syndrome scenario.   My PT was great, though had to be very careful with how much I allowed them to talk me into doing more standing, etc.   You want to get moving as much as possible, but standing and increasing the blood flow to an area thatís already inflamed/swollen can lead to problems very quickly.   So there was no 20min on/20min off with icing (e. g.  for a sprained ankle); this was continuous icing as much as I could tolerate.   The icing and elevating the legs above heart level, I feel were the main things saving me from going into ďdanger zoneĒ.   Everyone at the hospital was great; St Joeís is an outstanding facility IMO.   You will feel like youíre getting too much care/attention and just not want to be bothered at times.   This is all to protect you and make sure you get through a very crucial time-frame post-op.   

Recovery at home:
So far the only PT/OT Iíve had was at the hospital.   Iíve been stretching and doing mobility exercises for years now, so itís just a matter of being consistent.   I promised Dr.  M if/when I start having problems that Iíll hire a PT for some sessions at home to help out.   For anyone interested, a great reference for learning joint mobility exercises is:  Encyclopedia of Joint Mobility DVDs by Steve Maxwell.   This one was a game changer for me.   Heís a BJJ black belt (one of the 1st Americans to become a bb) and really knows his stuff.   Lots of basic to advanced (for later) exercises to use.   Working on just strength or just flexibility is not enough, you have to work on everything.   Not all in one day necessarily, but your body will tell you what you need day by day.   As far as equipment, I bought a ProForm Hybrid Trainer Elliptical/stationary bike (walmart ~$400) which has been worth every penny so far.   I have a ton of other equipment that I canít use right now, but will as Iím able to (Olympic weights/bench/kettlebell/therabands/etc).   I still do plenty of upper body lifting as tolerated, but it is only after the important stuff (i. e.  bike/mobility exercises/static stretching/calisthenics) is out of the way.

Issues so far:
No major issues so far.   A couple of times Iíve pushed myself too hard with trying to regain the strength in my legs too aggressively.    I guess thatís all part of finding your limits, but makes for some extremely painful/continuous throbbing to try and sleep throughóso you learn very quickly what you can and canít do at a given time-frame.   Aside from the impressive amount of soft tissue tightening/constant throbbing/constant stiffness, the only other real issue Iím experiencing is some neurogenic pain with distracting.   I donít blame my nerves for being pissed off about getting stretched out 3x/day every day!  So Iím monitoring this closely, taking a very low dose of Gabapentin has been helping, but IDK, if it continues to get worse, this may be the limiting factor for me.   Iím unable to distract 4x/day as Dr.  M would like to see me doing, but at least Iím still in the game moving forward.   Hopefully I donít end up consolidating too quickly as a result.   

I think this is a good start for now, I get restless if I sit at the computer for too long haha.  Thank you for your time.           

Maymetaller
LL Patient
MMT Member

Credibility 5

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 10:23:39 PM »

Hey Motivado congrats on your diary ! You are still getting nerve pain even at 3x a day? I thought it was only when you did 4x?
motivado1
MMT Member

Credibility 4

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2014, 11:48:17 PM »

Ya unfortunately, shooting nerve pain/burning/slight numbness.   Gets a little worse with every distraction.   I'm gonna email Dr.  M to see what he says/what the longest I can wait between distractions would be.   I do feel noticeably taller already at 3+cm, but I want to at least do 5cm if possible.   Need to read more diaries to see what others have done to deal with this.   The gabapentin/norco helps but pain is there for a reason, I don't want to mask a potential significant neuro-related issue for too long.   Any suggestions? thanx     
Maymetaller
LL Patient
MMT Member

Credibility 5

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 08:42:21 AM »

Ya unfortunately, shooting nerve pain/burning/slight numbness.   Gets a little worse with every distraction.   I'm gonna email Dr.  M to see what he says/what the longest I can wait between distractions would be.   I do feel noticeably taller already at 3+cm, but I want to at least do 5cm if possible.   Need to read more diaries to see what others have done to deal with this.   The gabapentin/norco helps but pain is there for a reason, I don't want to mask a potential significant neuro-related issue for too long.   Any suggestions? thanx     
I feel you exactly bro... I was shooting for 5.5 cm but the numbness and burning sensation worries me as well... The pain isn't really as severe as yours I feel as it lasts for about a minute or two with the pain reaching a 5 max but still its very bothersome at night qhen it lasts for over 10 minutes... 5 cm is a great and SAFE goal which is all that matters
motivado1
MMT Member

Credibility 4

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 01:29:27 PM »

Hey man, good news (hopefully it lasts :)  I was able to hone in on where exactly the nerve was getting irritated/compressed.   I'm pretty sure its a superficial branch of the femoral nerve, innervating the longest muscle we have (i. e.  sartorius m. ).   I could literally take my first 2 fingers and tap lightly on a specific location along the length of the m.  and reproduce the shooting nerve pain.   I realized that all the abductor/adductor/hip flexor/etc stretches I'm doing aren't hitting this particular muscle well enough.   Found 2 very specific stretches/movements and I'm feeling noticeably better already.   The other thing that I think really triggered this was my gf luring me into SEXercise the other night lol.   Second time since the operation--and I've "paid" for it both times now (in pain and agony) lol.   So hopefully this adjustment to my routine will keep me moving forward to the 5cm+ finish line.   Maybe try to isolate where exactly your pain is coming from; who knows, maybe it's the same location (this is a unique muscle that requires some special attention I've learned).   If so, look up on youtube "sartorius muscle stretch" and you'll find some good stuff.         
Afonso
MMT Member

Credibility 9

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2014, 03:15:50 AM »

I'm happy to hear you have identified your pain in lengthening.  I really hope I can reach my 8cm goal so whatever lessons you learn I will use!!
a1_z1
MMT Adviser

Credibility 10

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2014, 11:59:53 AM »

Hey man, good news (hopefully it lasts Smiley  I was able to hone in on where exactly the nerve was getting irritated/compressed.   I'm pretty sure its a superficial branch of the femoral nerve, innervating the longest muscle we have (i. e.  sartorius m. ).   I could literally take my first 2 fingers and tap lightly on a specific location along the length of the m.  and reproduce the shooting nerve pain.   I realized that all the abductor/adductor/hip flexor/etc stretches I'm doing aren't hitting this particular muscle well enough.   Found 2 very specific stretches/movements and I'm feeling noticeably better already.   The other thing that I think really triggered this was my gf luring me into SEXercise the other night lol.   Second time since the operation--and I've "paid" for it both times now (in pain and agony) lol.   So hopefully this adjustment to my routine will keep me moving forward to the 5cm+ finish line.   Maybe try to isolate where exactly your pain is coming from; who knows, maybe it's the same location (this is a unique muscle that requires some special attention I've learned).   If so, look up on youtube "sartorius muscle stretch" and you'll find some good stuff.         

Its been a while , is all ok ?
motivado1
MMT Member

Credibility 4

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2014, 08:33:02 PM »

48 Days Post-Op

Itís been quite a roller coaster.   The new stretches I added really helped relax that tight Sartorius m.  I mentioned about in my last post.   However, it wasnít enough to entirely un-piss off lol the superficial nerves of the left leg.   As I continued with the distraction schedule, my entire anterior lower leg went completely NUMB.   Had no sensation of the skin over my tibia and lateral to the bone (i. e.  tibialis anterior m. /peroneus longus m.  locations); I could still feel my ankle/foot though.   When that happened, I decided to stop distracting altogether.   I was close to 3. 5cm distraction (almost 5í10Ē) and getting taller than that wasnít worth potentially never being able to feel my shin again; or worse, going from a sensory issue to a motor issue, meaning losing actual function/movements of the leg.   I emailed Dr.  M and stopped distracting for ~36hrs.   During that time-frame I was SUPER bummed about having to stop; stopping--not because I was satisfied with my progress, but because I felt I had to for the sake of my health/long term effects.

To add more ďexcitementĒ to the journey, I had a family member measure each leg individually.   Many of you probably have done this, but Iíd just never thought of doing it since visually (to me anyway) there was no discrepancy in leg length.   I was really surprised to find that my right leg was shorter than the left.   Iíve always been very cautious with my technique using the ERC/magnetic device; so have I always had this discrepancy in length and it just wasnít enough to notice(?) Or was there something not working correctly with the device(?)  The films will give me that answer at the next appt this Fri.   Either way, I needed to get the (R) up to speed.   So I started distracting the right again (after a 36hr break).   Taking that time off really felt good for both legs.   In fact, the left-sided numbness seemed to start subsiding a bit.   So I (cautiously) started distracting the left again as well.   Right around this time-frame I got a response from Dr.  M.   He said that Iíd worked too hard to get this far, and that if it were him, heíd try to continue if possible.   He mentioned that itís not uncommon for the shin to get numb due to the stretching of superficial nerves.   That feedback, as well as the slight improvement of numbness on the left leg, really made me reinvigorated to keep pressing on.   So Iím almost 4cm on the left and just a tad over on the right.   When standing with my feet as close as possible on a hard surface, my left feels like itís still a few mm higher, so Iím almost doing 2 distractions for every 1 on the left.   My right leg has been doing so well, at one point, I was able to do 4 distractions (on that one side) within 7. 5hrs, until I started feeling the tightness coming in to kick my ass haha.   

So despite almost ďthrowing in the towelĒ/thinking I may have caused permanent damage on my left leg, Iím still moving forward.   The goal is 5cm on the left and probably ~5. 5cm on the right (whatever length that measures/feels as symmetrical to the left as possible).   This will put me at about 5í10 3/4Ē (i. e.  just under 5í11Ē).   Iíd considered doing 6. 5cm at one point, but after what Iíve experienced already, I donít think I want to push it--keeping in mind, that maintaining athleticism is a HUGE factor for me.   So thatís it for now.   Iíll give an update later-on for this upcoming appt.                         
Afonso
MMT Member

Credibility 9

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2014, 04:18:01 AM »

Hey I hope Dr. M has good new for you Friday and that you can reach you goal after all lots of money, pain, and sacrifice for that not to happen.  BTW I will be there also Friday morning it would be cool to bump into each other
motivado1
MMT Member

Credibility 4

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2014, 07:17:23 AM »

Ya definitely,  I'll  be there for a 10am appt. He's usually running late so maybe we'll have time to meet.  If not we can always set up another time/place to grab a bite somewhere close by.  In fact, while on the topic, i'd be happy to meet up with anyone else on the forum too who is interested in doing the same. Thanx for the message and maybe I'll see you on Friday.
Rainy
MMT Member

Credibility 2

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2014, 04:25:02 AM »

Great diary.  How is your progress?
Afonso
MMT Member

Credibility 9

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2014, 06:27:36 AM »

Ya definitely,  I'll  be there for a 10am appt. He's usually running late so maybe we'll have time to meet.  If not we can always set up another time/place to grab a bite somewhere close by.  In fact, while on the topic, i'd be happy to meet up with anyone else on the forum too who is interested in doing the same. Thanx for the message and maybe I'll see you on Friday.

Hey sorry I missed you didn't get there till 12:00PM.  Sure lets meet how mobile are you? Are you close to Sherman Oaks?
Afonso
MMT Member

Credibility 9

« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2014, 03:26:11 PM »

Hey sorry I missed you didn't get there till 12:00PM.  Sure lets meet how mobile are you? Are you close to Sherman Oaks?

Hey how do you transfer from wheelchair to walker?  I'm having the hardest time with this move and am concerned because I'm slightly over the 150 limit.  The technique I'm currently using is to lift myself up with one hand on the walker and the other on the Wheelchair arm then once up quickly transfer the wheelchair arm to the walker.  The problem with this approach is that you need someone to stabilize the walker and for a nanosecond you are full weight bearing.   
motivado1
MMT Member

Credibility 4

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2014, 04:56:26 PM »

I'm about 30min from Sherman Oaks.  I've been able to drive/get around with crutches fairly well at this point.  You're still in one of the most difficult phases of the process (i.e. both femurs newly broken, still swollen, legs very weak, etc--and now just starting the distraction process on your own).  Let me know when a good time for you would be to meet.  It's much easier if I just show you how I do transfers, etc then to try and describe it ("picture" is worth a thousand words). 

Because of the delays in distracting I've taken (from the intense nerve pain issue), I'm getting really close to consolidating, so I have to really push the intervals now to reach my original goal before the device "locks up" from new/surrounding bone growth.  However, I know exactly what you're going through (one of the most physically difficult times you'll ever experience) so I could drive out there if you want as early as tomorrow.     

BTW I'll be working on posting an update from my most recent appt with Dr. M (yesterday) sometime in the next few days.  I'm focused on squeezing out as many distractions as I can in the next wk or so, which means MORE of the same:  stationary bike (warm-up), stretch like "crazy" (but safely), distract, stretch some more, rest, get up, eat, meds, pee...then start all over again...and again...and again lol.   
Afonso
MMT Member

Credibility 9

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2014, 08:56:51 PM »

Motivado get going on that distracting :-) !!  I can't do it this weekend have some family members over what about next Saturday? 
motivado1
MMT Member

Credibility 4

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2014, 10:16:38 PM »

I know, I've been charging on it all day today Cheesy--thanks for the encouragement.  I'm taking low amounts (less than 100mg at a time) of motrin too in order to "buy" me a little more time. 

Next Sat should be ok, maybe 11am-ish? 

One thing I wanted to mention, is that I stand all the time without leaning on the walker or anything.  Its only when shifting your weight that you need to support yourself on something.  At your (our) weight, standing/squatting with the wt evenly distributed is not a problem.  Your method for transferring from wheelchair to walker is ok.  Alternately, you can do a "reverse dip" type motion with both hands on the rails of the walker, then start leaning forward (symmetrically, and keep the walker as close to you/wheelchair as possible) there will be a moment until you're supporting yourself on the walker (which is fine, just try to stay evenly balanced during the transition).  This way you don't need anyone to stabilize the walker while one of your arms is extended and potentially pushing the walker away from your body= NOT good.  Hope that helps, as your legs regain their strength, you will get more and more confident during these transitions.   
motivado1
MMT Member

Credibility 4

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2014, 10:22:18 PM »

Sorry, meant both hands on the rails of the wheelchair (not walker) [or any type of chair with arm rests for that matter]
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Make Me Taller! The world's number one elective leg lengthening site! Come here for information about LL, things to make you taller, how to get taller permanently, Ilizarov, Betzbone, Guichet Nail, PRECICE, height growth and other height related issues. This is the number one leg lengthening forum for height seekers and people trying to become taller. It was created and run by people who have actually done leg lengthening surgery (LL).

As a community site, MMT forum thrives on people's contributions, so please feel free to share your make me taller questions, videos, photos and experiences here in this leg lengthening forum. Make me taller is open to all, but please read the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) before posting as this will answer nearly all of your questions about getting taller through surgery. Please read our leg lengthening diaries too! We hope that you find this forum useful. Cheers, SysOp.