MMT Community
January 21, 2019, 06:05:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Make Me Taller! This is a free service to support those interested in or considering Leg Lengthening, and all are welcome to join! Just click on the register button and you will be approved ASAP. Remember to bookmark http://www.makemetaller.org now!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Motivado - Internal Femurs - Dr. Mahboubian - 2014 - Motivated To Grow  (Read 24836 times)
Afonso
MMT Member

Credibility 9

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2014, 10:18:41 PM »

Sorry, meant both hands on the rails of the wheelchair (not walker) [or any type of chair with arm rests for that matter]

Thanks for the walker tip.  11 this Saturday works for me.  I believe there is a way to send you a private message.  Will do that with my real contact info.  Hows the detraction coming
pain manageable?
Afonso
MMT Member

Credibility 9

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2014, 02:52:39 PM »

I know, I've been charging on it all day today Cheesy--thanks for the encouragement.  I'm taking low amounts (less than 100mg at a time) of motrin too in order to "buy" me a little more time. 

Next Sat should be ok, maybe 11am-ish? 

One thing I wanted to mention, is that I stand all the time without leaning on the walker or anything.  Its only when shifting your weight that you need to support yourself on something.  At your (our) weight, standing/squatting with the wt evenly distributed is not a problem.  Your method for transferring from wheelchair to walker is ok.  Alternately, you can do a "reverse dip" type motion with both hands on the rails of the walker, then start leaning forward (symmetrically, and keep the walker as close to you/wheelchair as possible) there will be a moment until you're supporting yourself on the walker (which is fine, just try to stay evenly balanced during the transition).  This way you don't need anyone to stabilize the walker while one of your arms is extended and potentially pushing the walker away from your body= NOT good.  Hope that helps, as your legs regain their strength, you will get more and more confident during these transitions.   

Hey Motivado how is it going?  Does tomorrow still work?  Haven't gotten a reply on how to PM my contact.   Email me at address nasatplay@yahoo.com so we can coordinate for tomorrow.
motivado1
MMT Member

Credibility 4

« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2014, 06:23:25 AM »

Everything is going well. My desktop went down a few days ago so I haven't been online much lately.  I've been focusing all of my energy on preparing for each distraction as it's getting more and more difficult to maintain flexibility (right ITB mainly).  Right leg is at 5.1cm and left is 4.6cm right now.  As i mentioned previously, I discovered my right was about 5mm shorter than the left.  So I'm aiming for around 5.5cm (R) and 5.0cm (L). I'll go into more detail on Dr Ms take on that situation once I get to a computer othr than via my cell phone.

Alfonso,  I'm still down to meet up tomorrow.  I sent you an email--ttys
motivado1
MMT Member

Credibility 4

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2014, 06:43:09 AM »

Quick update.  Desktop still down  Angry  hoping to get it fixed or get a new one in the next wk or so. Have an appt tomorrow with Dr M. Done distracting.  Should be at 5.0 L and 5.7cm R leg. Standing with both legs locked out,  it feels almost perfectly balanced. The right still feels like I could do anothr 1 or 2 distractions (I.e. .33 or .66mm more); however,  Dr. M mentioned at the last appt that he wouldn't suggest doing too much with the right leg since apparently I've had this relatively minor discrepancy all my life. He didn't want me to mess with my biomechanics too much. My thought was that maybe I could actually improve my biomechanics with this opportunity.  Maybe the <1cm difference is what was causing the unilateral "runner's knee" on the left leg as well as my tendency to always need to shift my weight when standing for long periods of time in the same spot (e.g. at work). I also used the medial malleoli (sitting w/both legs locked out) as well as anothr physical assessment technique he showed me to determine how symmetrical they are to each othr. Time will tell. My gf took a measurement of overall height this past wkend and it looks like I'm at ~5'11" now, so I'm pretty stoked about that. I don't feel compelled to take it any further. My "wing span" is now symmetrical to my height (which it's supposed to be, aesthetically speaking). I'm looking forward now to working more on leg strength now,  as well as gaining my wt back (and then some). Life during the distraction phase was quite miserable to be perfectly honest,  so I'm very glad to be moving forward to this next stage of the game...
Afonso
MMT Member

Credibility 9

« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2014, 06:51:53 AM »

Hey Motivado,  happy to hear all your goals have been met.  I'm sure it feels good to have the detractions behind you.  I know I'm looking forward to that day myself.
motivado1
MMT Member

Credibility 4

« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2014, 06:17:41 PM »

Progress thus far:
At 80 days postop I'm walking (well, more like wobbling/shuffling) without any assistive devices. Leg strength is coming back very quickly now as a result. Holding onto something for support, I'm able to do below parallel squats (12-15reps/4 sets for now). Lots of bridges, hypertensions, prone leg raises,  etc--anything to try and get my glutes back asap! Lol. Body weight is coming back faster now too as expected. Went down as low as 139lb; at 147lb currently.

I also wanted to share something I think is pretty remarkable about this 2nd generation precise nail... At my last appt w Dr M, he was so impressed with how much bone that was filling in (while we were looking at the latest films) that he said I should be able to start walking (unassisted) already. To play it safe,  he said wait 2 wks then start.

Each day, as i started gradually walking with less support, I realized that I should've done those last few distractions on the R leg. It felt as though my R was "stepping in a hole" with each step as compared to the left. Not dramatically, but enough to feel the difference in lengths. TEN DAYS after NOT doing any distractions, I decided to just give it one last shot to see if I could possibly get a few more in and do what my "gut" told me to do in the first place.

Believe it or not, I got another 2.33mm (over the next 2days) out of the nail and stopped when it truly felt about as symmetrical as I could ask for. So if that doesn't speak for what "4 the distracting ability of the 1st gen nail" then i don't know what would.
a1_z1
MMT Adviser

Credibility 10

« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2014, 07:34:59 PM »

Progress thus far:
At 80 days postop I'm walking (well, more like wobbling/shuffling) without any assistive devices. Leg strength is coming back very quickly now as a result. Holding onto something for support, I'm able to do below parallel squats (12-15reps/4 sets for now). Lots of bridges, hypertensions, prone leg raises,  etc--anything to try and get my glutes back asap! Lol. Body weight is coming back faster now too as expected. Went down as low as 139lb; at 147lb currently.

I also wanted to share something I think is pretty remarkable about this 2nd generation precise nail... At my last appt w Dr M, he was so impressed with how much bone that was filling in (while we were looking at the latest films) that he said I should be able to start walking (unassisted) already. To play it safe,  he said wait 2 wks then start.

Each day, as i started gradually walking with less support, I realized that I should've done those last few distractions on the R leg. It felt as though my R was "stepping in a hole" with each step as compared to the left. Not dramatically, but enough to feel the difference in lengths. TEN DAYS after NOT doing any distractions, I decided to just give it one last shot to see if I could possibly get a few more in and do what my "gut" told me to do in the first place.

Believe it or not, I got another 2.33mm (over the next 2days) out of the nail and stopped when it truly felt about as symmetrical as I could ask for. So if that doesn't speak for what "4 the distracting ability of the 1st gen nail" then i don't know what would.

I have a tear in my eye !
motivado1
MMT Member

Credibility 4

« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2014, 09:20:29 PM »

Quote from: Afonso link=topic=7697.msg101016#msg1finally0016 date=1413269513
Hey Motivado,  happy to hear all your goals have been met.  I'm sure it feels good to have the detractions behind you.  I know I'm looking forward to that day myself.

Hey man, thank you!--and yes it is a huge relief to get past the most difficult/precarious/dangerous aspects of this adventure.  When i think about all the potential things that can go wrong with a procedure of this magnitude, it freaks me out a bit. From anesthesia/surgery complications to postop issues, you have to have really big gonads, be very strong (mentally/physically), prefereably have some great people around (at the very least, first couple of wks), and WANT this so bad, that nothing is going to stop you....because you WILL...be....tested in ways like you've never known before. There is a continuous/relentless "aching/grinding/torturous" sort of pain and level of utter discomfort that I would only wish upon my enemies haha. The tearing/ripping pain of superficial nerves on the anterior lower leg at 3 o'clock in the morning as you struggle to simply turn from a prone position to your back, not being able to sleep for more than a couple hrs at a time--for months! the list goes on...  but if you ask me if it was all worth it? Well, I wouldn't want to experience it all over again, but with that said, I also have ZERO regrets and am very pleased/excited about the results (at this point at least). So stay positive, keep pushing yourself, you're doing fantastic (I know I wouldn't have been able to work during the distraction phase; way too uncomfortable/restless; but MOST importantly,  listen to your body...and don't worry about not being able to do 1.33mm on a particular day if it's too much. I had 3 big gaps in time (~36hr gap x 2 and a 10 DAY gap x 1) with no trouble distracting...and this is coming from someone who consolidates relatively quickly. Btw feel free to shoot me a text if you have any concerns/questions that I might be of some help with. Sometimes it takes a little while for a response from Dr M, he's a very busy surgeon with a huge volume of patients, so if there's anything I can answer/help with in the meantime let me know.
Afonso
MMT Member

Credibility 9

« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2014, 12:46:03 AM »

Hey man, thank you!--and yes it is a huge relief to get past the most difficult/precarious/dangerous aspects of this adventure.  When i think about all the potential things that can go wrong with a procedure of this magnitude, it freaks me out a bit. From anesthesia/surgery complications to postop issues, you have to have really big gonads, be very strong (mentally/physically), prefereably have some great people around (at the very least, first couple of wks), and WANT this so bad, that nothing is going to stop you....because you WILL...be....tested in ways like you've never known before. There is a continuous/relentless "aching/grinding/torturous" sort of pain and level of utter discomfort that I would only wish upon my enemies haha. The tearing/ripping pain of superficial nerves on the anterior lower leg at 3 o'clock in the morning as you struggle to simply turn from a prone position to your back, not being able to sleep for more than a couple hrs at a time--for months! the list goes on...  but if you ask me if it was all worth it? Well, I wouldn't want to experience it all over again, but with that said, I also have ZERO regrets and am very pleased/excited about the results (at this point at least). So stay positive, keep pushing yourself, you're doing fantastic (I know I wouldn't have been able to work during the distraction phase; way too uncomfortable/restless; but MOST importantly,  listen to your body...and don't worry about not being able to do 1.33mm on a particular day if it's too much. I had 3 big gaps in time (~36hr gap x 2 and a 10 DAY gap x 1) with no trouble distracting...and this is coming from someone who consolidates relatively quickly. Btw feel free to shoot me a text if you have any concerns/questions that I might be of some help with. Sometimes it takes a little while for a response from Dr M, he's a very busy surgeon with a huge volume of patients, so if there's anything I can answer/help with in the meantime let me know.

Hey Motivado good to hear from you!!  Ha yes melon sized gonads and the taste for adventure and/or S&M  Smiley  That is amazing that you still get detractions after 10 days and here I am worried - thank you much this made my day!!  When this is all over if you're up for it lets meetup for a drink or two.  PS even deep down in the middle of the torture I would do it again in a heartbeat!
motivado1
MMT Member

Credibility 4

« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2014, 06:40:51 AM »

Lots of bridges, hypertensions, prone leg raises,  etc

*hyperExtensions (lower back/hamstring/glute exercise)
Maymetaller
LL Patient
MMT Member

Credibility 5

« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2014, 02:29:09 PM »

Hey Motivado congratulations on all your progress mate! I was wondering if you took any supplements or did anything to help with the bone regeneration process? I'm at risk of a nonunion currently and just want all the advice I can get.
motivado1
MMT Member

Credibility 4

« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2014, 05:30:26 PM »

Hey LLing brother, thank you and yes let me explain why I believe I've ended up with more bone growth than usual at this point. First, here's a list of the supplements I've been taking:

-Multivitamin (any good quality brand will do; I've been using "Kind Organics- men's multi"
-"Joint Vibrance" (combo of 17 ingredients: msm, glucosamine,  etc)--awesome product.
-shark cartilage (has really helped me with increasing flexibility in the past, so I added it to the mix)
-calcium/magnesium with boron (didn't start taking this till after the distraction phase; I was trying to buy myself more time so I didn't want to encourage my body to make more bone than necessary early on, plus the multi vit had some in it)
-Ester C (essential for overall wound healing/collagen production/etc)

I believe I had such pronounced bone healing because:
1) I had two big gaps of time (about a day and a half each) that I stopped distracting. One when my entire shin went completely numb; and anothr later on when my right ITB startd making awful squeeking/grinding/friction sounds/sensations from being distracted at a much faster rate than the left leg.
2) Because of my low body wt (and increased bone density, from exercising all my life/genetics possibly/etc) I've been heavily weight bearing throughout the entire process.  This stimulates bone growth and also makes for an easier transition when re-learning how to walk again.

What supplements did Dr. M suggest btw?

Not to get into some of the other more "controversial supplements", but if it's a choice between that and more surgery,  I would definitely look into anything that might help. There are studies that show that certain anabolic steroids (not to be confused with Cortico-steroids [which is the opposite of what you'd want to take] have proven to be effective in stimulating musculo-skeletal growth. Do some research online, i think if i were to get into even more complicated stuff like hgh for example,  I'd want to consult with an Endocrinologist or someone with a lot of experience with these things.  Hope that helps some.

fusion
Lurker

Credibility 0

« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2014, 05:33:34 PM »

but if you ask me if it was all worth it? Well, I wouldn't want to experience it all over again, but with that said, I also have ZERO regrets and am very pleased/excited about the results (at this point at least).

I'm so happy to hear this . . .  it sounds like the worst is over!
motivado1
MMT Member

Credibility 4

« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2014, 06:29:12 PM »

I believe I had such pronounced bone healing because:
1) I had two big gaps of time (about a day and a half each) that I stopped distracting.

Just to clarify,  leading up to my most recent appt with Dr M, I had 2 big gaps of time DURING the distraction phase, that gave my body a chance to grow new bone without interference.  The 10 day "gap" situation was after that; I had intended to be DONE distracting by that point.
motivado1
MMT Member

Credibility 4

« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2014, 07:50:20 PM »

I have a tear in my eye !

lol I would've had a few tears in my eyes if I hadn't been able to make those last few adjustments  Undecided
Maymetaller
LL Patient
MMT Member

Credibility 5

« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2014, 03:19:16 PM »

Did you do leg presses throughout the consolidation phase and if so what was the maximum weight you did? What other heavy weightbearing things did you mostly do? And yes Dr. M gave me a list of supplements like Oscal and Vitamin D as well as silica. I see him again on the 25th of November and am praying for full consolidation...
motivado1
MMT Member

Credibility 4

« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2014, 05:43:44 PM »

Hey bro,
So ya I didn't do any "weight lifting" with my legs during the distraction phase. I should've clarified, i meant "heavily weight bearing" as in standing with my body weight evenly distributed without supporting myself (for example) and using as little support as i felt safe to do so while moving with the walker/crutches. The only time I used a wheelchair was when leaving the hospital aftr surgery.

Believe me, with my personality of always testing the limits,  I tried doing some weighted leg extensions early on in the distraction phase. It felt so good that I pushed it, and did way too many reps. That night I was in pure agony writhing in pain; I think my gf thought I was gonna pass out or somthing lol. Ahhh so glad I can share these "fun" stories with someone haha.

I wasn't clear at that time as to what would be crossing the line in terms of how hard to push myself. I watched a clip on leechlet's channel (youtube) and saw Dr Guichet discussing this very topic. His thing is to have you get in the best shape possible (preop), then while you're distracting, the focus is maintenance. I interpreted that as in, just focus on the stretching/calisthenics--NO weights (just for lower body of course). When we lift weights, the muscle belly shortens, opposite of what you need when asking your soft tissues to allow being stretched out unnaturally 3-4x/day... evry day.

So just keep walking unassisted as much as tolerated (your own body weight only).  If you haven't filled in enough bone yet,  I wouldn't try pushing any heavy weights around just yet. Keep taking your supplements and we'll hope for the best!

motivado1
MMT Member

Credibility 4

« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2014, 06:08:51 PM »

Did you do leg presses throughout the consolidation phase and if so what was the maximum weight you did?

10/21/14 was when I finished those final distractions on my R leg, so I still consider myself to be in the very early stages of the "consolidation phase". Everything I do still with lower body is just my own bodywt (squats, etc). occasionally ill do some very lightly weighted hamstring curls (20reps/20lbs).
Maymetaller
LL Patient
MMT Member

Credibility 5

« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2014, 10:36:16 PM »

Ahhh makes sense makes sense... Thank you for all the advice bro much appreciated! Hopefully I'll join you in the walking stage soon !
motivado1
MMT Member

Credibility 4

« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2014, 12:03:25 AM »

You WILL be graduating too. You're young man, I just don't see how it's not going to fill in. Give your body what it needs to repair itself. The calcium, magnesium,  vit D; no smoking/drinking, get as much rest as you can,  gradually increase how much weight you're putting down when walking,  etc and you should continue to progress. Have you had any broken bones in the past?  If so did it take longer than usual to heal?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Make Me Taller! The world's number one elective leg lengthening site! Come here for information about LL, things to make you taller, how to get taller permanently, Ilizarov, Betzbone, Guichet Nail, PRECICE, height growth and other height related issues. This is the number one leg lengthening forum for height seekers and people trying to become taller. It was created and run by people who have actually done leg lengthening surgery (LL).

As a community site, MMT forum thrives on people's contributions, so please feel free to share your make me taller questions, videos, photos and experiences here in this leg lengthening forum. Make me taller is open to all, but please read the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) before posting as this will answer nearly all of your questions about getting taller through surgery. Please read our leg lengthening diaries too! We hope that you find this forum useful. Cheers, SysOp.