MMT Community
December 17, 2018, 02:32:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tough love is the best love for people considering Leg Lengthening - the truth hurts, but it's important to be realistic Wink

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Silvertiger - External Tibias - My experience at Ilizarov Centre in Kurgan  (Read 14087 times)
Silvertiger
LL Patient
MMT Member

Credibility 64

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2015, 02:13:16 AM »

February 2, 2015, My legs feel a bit stronger now. I can bend my knee a lot further then i use too. I can not move my small toes on the right foot now but just a little bit. It has been two months and still can not move my big toe at all on that foot up. Because of that it is harder to put on my shoe and I sometimes bump my big toe the ground. I am think about seeing a doctor next week about it.

In conclusion, if I know before hand everything had to go through I would not have done it in the first place. But, no one can know until they do it. Everyone experience will be different. Out of the five people that had Leg Lengthening surgery with me here, three of the five would not have done it if they know before hand everything had to go through.

I would give Russian Ilizarov Scientific Centre an ok but not good place to do leg lengthening surgery. It is a quick and safe place to do it. But, I think it is one of the most painful place to do it. Here they do two breaks on each bones so it is quicker but more painful when lengthening so fast. For some people here the foot ring was not at bad, but for others include me it was one of the worst part.

Russian Ilizarov Scientific Centre a great place if you need a correction. You will not need to do lengthen or need the foot ring. Most of the people there is very nice. I just had a problem with two of the helpers or cleaning ladies there. They where just lazy and not very nice at all.

The total cost for my experience was around 25,000 USD including my airfare. The time that I had to be in Kurgan, Russia was almost 6 months. It will be 3 to 4 months for me at home before I am good enough to work. If you are going to do this I do wish you the best of luck. But, It will be a more harder experience for some then others
devon
Certified Member
MMT Member

Credibility 4

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2015, 07:50:55 AM »

You were brave and tenacious.  Thanks for sharing your experience!
SysOp
Forum Admin / Moderator
Administrator
MMT Expert

Credibility 712

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2015, 05:15:22 PM »

Great diary Silvertiger. Thanks for Sharing. Smiley
Bonbelle
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2015, 11:43:52 PM »

Thanks for taking the time to share about your experiences in Kurgan with us! Hope you are enjoying being back at home and recovering well!  Smiley
Rainy
MMT Member

Credibility 2

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2015, 08:55:53 AM »

Thank you for sharing your detailed experience! I wonder if I should do just ExFix for tibias to avoid nail insertion to the knees.
Why did you choose externals? If the money wasn't an issue would you have done internals instead?
Silvertiger
LL Patient
MMT Member

Credibility 64

« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2015, 07:18:12 AM »

Have you seen video of short people after they got Leg Lengthening on just their tibias?
If you get 4 or 5 cm it is not that bad but I have seen videos of people that got 7cm and 9cm on their tibia.
They do not look good or normal at all when they walk. You can do 7 or 9 cm on your femurs and still look normal.

The second reason is if you get an infection inside your bone it can be very bad. It is a small chance but if you are the unlucky one you may not be able to use that leg anymore. External has a high chances of infection but easily cured.I think internal will be less painful but I hear it is still very painful.

If you still decide to do internal Leg Lengthening Surgery I think your legs will look better doing it on your femurs first. Then if you decide to do a second one then do the tibias.
Will I hope that helped. Good luck to you.
Silvertiger
LL Patient
MMT Member

Credibility 64

« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2015, 07:20:38 AM »

Thanks for reading.
devon, SysOp, Rainy and Bonbelle
Body Builder
LL Veteran
MMT Adviser

Credibility 121

« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2015, 12:42:54 PM »

Have you seen video of short people after they got Leg Lengthening on just their tibias?
If you get 4 or 5 cm it is not that bad but I have seen videos of people that got 7cm and 9cm on their tibia.
They do not look good or normal at all when they walk. You can do 7 or 9 cm on your femurs and still look normal.

The second reason is if you get an infection inside your bone it can be very bad. It is a small chance but if you are the unlucky one you may not be able to use that leg anymore. External has a high chances of infection but easily cured.I think internal will be less painful but I hear it is still very painful.

If you still decide to do internal Leg Lengthening Surgery I think your legs will look better doing it on your femurs first. Then if you decide to do a second one then do the tibias.
Will I hope that helped. Good luck to you.

People can lengthen a little more in femurs, thats right, but I've seen many people who did about 7cm in tibias and look good (me including) and others who did 7cm in femurs and look disproportionate. It has to do with the initial length of bones and some people have longer than usual tibia or femur, so they should lengthen the other part

I agree with what you said about external tibias.
There is no reason to do internal, and I don't think it is less painful because my tibia LL (with external monorail fixators) was almost completely painless. I don't think that internals would be less, because less means no pain at all.
Internal in tibias has only one advantage, that you practically have no scars, but externals have many other advantages (less major infection rate, easier surgeries, much cheaper) that make them ideal for tibias. For femurs internal is the only way.

Finally, I wouldn't suggest any doctor who does double cut on tibias, because it causes problems on the ankle and also the lengthening is about twice as fast as one cut and that can lead to serious damage on soft tissues.
So if Kurgan Ilizarov centre only does this kind of cut, then I wouldn't recommend it at all.
Also, the Ilizarov fixators they used are some of the biggest and most uncomfortable I've ever seen so that is another reason I wouldn't suggest this centre, but many doctors in the world have so bulky fixators.
Good fixators however are much smaller and comfortable, but they cost more. In most European Union countries the hospitals are much better and the equipment is hitech compared to what I saw from diaries from Russia, Asia, even China.
And some times the prices are not much higher, so I think people should start to search a little more before making the big decision to do LL.  Wink

I wish you the best my friend.
Be strong!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 12:51:15 PM by Body Builder » Logged

live strong
Rainy
MMT Member

Credibility 2

« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2015, 12:17:19 AM »

People can lengthen a little more in femurs, thats right, but I've seen many people who did about 7cm in tibias and look good (me including) and others who did 7cm in femurs and look disproportionate. It has to do with the initial length of bones and some people have longer than usual tibia or femur, so they should lengthen the other part

I agree with what you said about external tibias.
There is no reason to do internal, and I don't think it is less painful because my tibia LL (with external monorail fixators) was almost completely painless. I don't think that internals would be less, because less means no pain at all.
Internal in tibias has only one advantage, that you practically have no scars, but externals have many other advantages (less major infection rate, easier surgeries, much cheaper) that make them ideal for tibias. For femurs internal is the only way.

Finally, I wouldn't suggest any doctor who does double cut on tibias, because it causes problems on the ankle and also the lengthening is about twice as fast as one cut and that can lead to serious damage on soft tissues.
So if Kurgan Ilizarov centre only does this kind of cut, then I wouldn't recommend it at all.
Also, the Ilizarov fixators they used are some of the biggest and most uncomfortable I've ever seen so that is another reason I wouldn't suggest this centre, but many doctors in the world have so bulky fixators.
Good fixators however are much smaller and comfortable, but they cost more. In most European Union countries the hospitals are much better and the equipment is hitech compared to what I saw from diaries from Russia, Asia, even China.
And some times the prices are not much higher, so I think people should start to search a little more before making the big decision to do LL.  Wink

I wish you the best my friend.
Be strong!

Respectfully disagree. Long tibia make you look taller whereas low knee levels make your tibia look stubbier.

There isn't even a debate about pain. How are medieval devices that hang externally from your legs less painful and uncomfortable to sleep with and live with, than internals you canít even feel?

Risk of internal infection with a well trained surgeon in a clean first world hospital is virtually zero and we donít have any written records of that happening with the top doctors, whereas we see awful infections with externals happening all the time.
Body Builder
LL Veteran
MMT Adviser

Credibility 121

« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2015, 10:51:56 PM »

Respectfully disagree. Long tibia make you look taller whereas low knee levels make your tibia look stubbier.

There isn't even a debate about pain. How are medieval devices that hang externally from your legs less painful and uncomfortable to sleep with and live with, than internals you canít even feel?

Risk of internal infection with a well trained surgeon in a clean first world hospital is virtually zero and we donít have any written records of that happening with the top doctors, whereas we see awful infections with externals happening all the time.

Have I said anywhere something different about tibias?
I agree that longer tibias look better than very long femur. My tibias after LL look very long but not bad. If my femurs looked so long, I wouldn't look good.

About pain, most people with internal devices encounter pain, sometimes strong, especially with betzbone and guichet nail, because it has to do with the method that these nails use to lengthen. With precise, which uses another method, pain is minimun.
But the same happened with my orthofix fixators also, who were almost completely pain free. I don't talk about medieval fixator but for state of art fixators like mine, taylor spatial etc.
Yes Ilizarovs are uncomfortable but lengthening pain is usually more in internals like betzbone.
Monorails are very comfortable and pain free, but they are not fully weight bearable, and this is their biggest drawback. However, even precise 1 isn't weight bearable.
As for infections, I don't know either any serious infection from exterlan methods, with respectable doctors in good hospitals.

If someone has enough money for good fixators, externals are the best choice for tibias imo, with much faster consolidation time and most of the times, very easy to cure infections.
Internals are the only choice for femurs. It is a very good choice for tibias too, especially compared to medieval fixators like the ones they use in asia, russia and many other countries, but if we take everything on account (surgeries, risks of serious problems, consolidation, money) it is not the best.

But here is not a external vs internal topic, but a diary of one LL friend, so I think we should stop that discussion here.

live strong
Mr.Placebo
MMT Member

Credibility 3

« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2015, 02:04:53 PM »

Silvertiger, thank you for a diary.  I am sorry about your experience and that you couldn;t reach your desired height of 7 cm.  It looks very painful.  I hope you doing well.  Let us know how you are doing 7-8 months now since you got home.  How is your walking? Can you feel your toes? Is everything ok with your nerves in the legs?
rjcpm8619
MMT Member

Credibility 1

168cm to 179 using LATN

« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2015, 05:52:50 PM »

It seems like breaking in two spots is a bad idea because so far in my experience the bone growth, while important, is not as important as keeping the muscles stretched and ready to "accept" the new bone growth without causing problems.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Make Me Taller! The world's number one elective leg lengthening site! Come here for information about LL, things to make you taller, how to get taller permanently, Ilizarov, Betzbone, Guichet Nail, PRECICE, height growth and other height related issues. This is the number one leg lengthening forum for height seekers and people trying to become taller. It was created and run by people who have actually done leg lengthening surgery (LL).

As a community site, MMT forum thrives on people's contributions, so please feel free to share your make me taller questions, videos, photos and experiences here in this leg lengthening forum. Make me taller is open to all, but please read the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) before posting as this will answer nearly all of your questions about getting taller through surgery. Please read our leg lengthening diaries too! We hope that you find this forum useful. Cheers, SysOp.